Old January 14, 2004, 20:31   #1
RaymondBeautrix
Settler

Local Time: 16:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Game Crashing *Please Help*
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2.4ghz P4, Windows XP with all the latest updates, and a GF 4 with the latest detonator drivers, and directx 9 installed. I have tried all of the suggestions posted on this forum for fixing the crash bug, but nothing has worked. I start up the game (SMAC or SMAX), and it says my cpu is not supported. I press ok, and it always crashes (closes suddenly; sometimes it gives an error message after that.

I'm using "backed up" copies of SMAC and SMAX, which I used the latest version of DAEMON Tools to install both ISOs (with safedisc emulation enabled). I updated each to the latest version (SMAC 4.0e and SMAX 2.0), applied the winxp compatiblity patch, then did the .ini fix. I used the no-cd game fixes for both games, with the games not mounted in a cd drive.

I've run out of ideas. If someone could convince me that it would run on a different OS (win 98 or win 2000), I might try that...but I'm fairly sure that would make no difference.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- RaymondBeautrix
Old January 14, 2004, 20:39   #2
#endgame
ACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
have you tried everything in the smac(x) faq thread?

what ini fix do you mean?

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html
Old January 14, 2004, 20:45   #3
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
If you're starting the game by executing axstart.exe, try using terran.exe (or terranx.exe for SMAX).
Old January 14, 2004, 20:56   #4
RaymondBeautrix
Settler

Wow, thank you both for the quick replies!

#endgame: yes, I tried EVERYTHING thing the smac(X) faq thread. I tested the game at each step to see if any of the proceeding steps caused the crashing problem with no success.

Petek: yes, I tried using terran.exe and terranx.exe. Neither worked. I also tried playing the game without the crack, mounting the smac(x) ISO with DAEMON tools with safedisc emulation. This also didn't work.

Any other ideas?
Old January 15, 2004, 01:10   #5
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 05:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Hope this isn't too obvious to mention, but have you tried all the different WinXP compatibility modes?
Old January 15, 2004, 03:41   #6
RaymondBeautrix
Settler

Blake: Yes, I have tried all the winxp compatibility modes...no success.

Any other ideas?

- Raymond Beautrix
Old January 15, 2004, 04:45   #7
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
Have you tried reinstalling from the original disks (as opposed to using the "backed up image")?
Old January 15, 2004, 15:05   #8
RaymondBeautrix
Settler

Petek: I'm beginning to wonder if that might be the problem. Although my backed up images should work...is that my only other option?

One thing I haven't done is restart. I've had some important downloads going the last couple days, so I never tried restarting. Does anyone think this might make a difference?

- Raymond Beautrix
Old January 15, 2004, 15:11   #9
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:11
It might. It takes only five minutes trying, so it's worth the try.
Old January 15, 2004, 16:00   #10
RaymondBeautrix
Settler

Maniac: Point well taken. If I had the originals in my possession, I would definately try that. But I don't...oh well, I suppose I could look for SMAC and SMAX in the store. I was trying to avoid that because I'm poor...or just really cheap

I'm kind of new to this genre. The closest thing I've played to this type of game is an RTS. That's why I wanted to try the game without buying it. Maybe I'll find a demo first before I buy.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hopefully I can at least get a demo to work.

- Raymond Beautrix
Old January 15, 2004, 17:16   #11
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:11
Raymond, I'm not sure if you already know this or not - you cannot buy SMAX itself anymore unless if you're a MacIntosh user perhaps. Your options are to hunt down that laptop collection which has SMAC and SMAX along with other three games (some golf game which I don't care for, Red Alert 2, and some SimCity game) or try your luck via an internet exchange company like Ebay. I was just about to order via Ebay when one day in a Fry's Electronics I spotted this laptop collection pack. I was like eh? can't be! and took a second look. Sure enough, it was SMAC and SMAX staring at me and since it was 20 bucks, I grabbed it. You will have to download patches although.

Last edited by Barinthus; January 15, 2004 at 17:27.
Old January 16, 2004, 00:51   #12
RaymondBeautrix
Settler

DataAeolus: I've heard of that game bundle that you're talking about. Perhaps that would be the best way to get it.

In that case, I have but one more question. Would it be better if I were to begin with a Civilization game (civ 3 perhaps?) before I jumped into SMAC considering I'm not familiar with this genre? I heard that SMAC is a fairly challenging game with a steep learning curve. Or would it make little difference which game I start with?

Everyone, thanks again for the assistance.

- Raymond Beautrix
Old January 16, 2004, 01:01   #13
Barinthus
King

Raymond, before I say anything more, I have yet to play Civ3 other than the demo (which wouldn't let me replay, *grumble*).

Based on what I heard and read, Civ3 is more difficult. To be more specific here, more difficult for me since that I've played Civ2 and SMAC is somewhat similar to Civ2. There are differences, yes, but there are similarities. On the other hand, I've read that when it comes to Civ3, forget everything you knew about Civ-type games. Old tactics wouldn't work as well and so on.

That's what I've heard anyway.
Old January 16, 2004, 01:41   #14
RaymondBeautrix
Settler

demo... :(
So, maybe starting with SMAC wouldnt be a bad idea?

I did try to play the SMAC demo, which is supposed to be the full version with some sort of small modification. It gave me the same errors as when I tried to get the full version to work with the backed up images. I tried to install the 4.0e update and the winxp compatibility patch (it seems like this should work with the demo, because the files looked like they were pretty much the same). I got the same errors. My concern is that I'll buy the software pack and still have the same problems..

- Raymond Beautrix
Old January 16, 2004, 03:19   #15
Barinthus
King

Re: demo... :(
Quote:
Originally posted by RaymondBeautrix
My concern is that I'll buy the software pack and still have the same problems..
I can understand that. Perhaps contact the support on Firaxis webpage? I don't think you'd experience the same problem with the full version as oppose to the demo but I'm no expert.
Old January 16, 2004, 15:17   #16
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 18:11
Raymond you better not buy Civ3 until you have learned well about Civ genre. Between Civ3 and Civ2 I would always choose Civ2 since Civ3 proveda big dissapointment. Better play SMAC/X if you can get it work until Civ4 is finished.
Old January 16, 2004, 17:15   #17
RaymondBeautrix
Settler

obstructor: yea, I've heard many civ veterans are displeased with the new civ 3 game. I tried the civ3 demo. It seemed kind of overwhelming, how much control and responsibility you have over your country/culture...but I suppose that's a characteristic of all civ games. It was hard for me to make unarbitrary decisions when playing the game.

The tutorial didn't seem to help much. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can learn to become proficient in this genre of games. Is Civ 2 really easy enough to learn for someone who is unfamiliar with the genre?

- Raymond Beautrix