Old January 14, 2004, 23:38   #1
d=me
Prince

Local Time: 16:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Icbm
Why can't the missiles in alpha centauri fly across the map in one turn? Aren't they ICBMs (espically the nukes)? We had the technology in the 60's. And how do they land?
Old January 15, 2004, 00:02   #2
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:11
I'm not sure what you mean by landing. I suppose just fly the missile to one of your own bases before its fuel goes out.

That's the annoying thing about missiles - if you directed a missile toward a target and one of your bases happen to be in the line, the missile would stop into that base automatically.
Old January 15, 2004, 00:49   #3
d=me
Prince

No, I am not asking about how to land the missile, I'm saying how does it supposed to work? (Drones?)
Old January 15, 2004, 11:16   #4
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 11:11
Quote:
Originally posted by d=me
No, I am not asking about how to land the missile, I'm saying how does it supposed to work? (Drones?)
Not sure what you mean by Drones here. If a Planet Buster or conventional missle moves into a tile that contains either an enemy city or unit it will explode and "nuke" the area around it. That is how they land.
Old January 15, 2004, 11:33   #5
Thalan
Settler

I think that he meant by "drones" that each missile is flown by a drone
Old January 15, 2004, 12:12   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:11
sorry double post

Last edited by Flubber; January 15, 2004 at 12:19.
Old January 15, 2004, 12:12   #7
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:11
I think I understand the question. If missiles on earth could hit pretty much any place on earth, why do planet busters have some limited range on Alpha Centauri. Should not the technology allow them to strike anywhere or fly over that annoying line of ships erected as a barrier ??

I agree that the technology SHOULD allow that but for gameplay reasons I am glad it does not. I like the fact that players can create areas that are safer from PBs and that players have to plan how to deploy their missiles.

For the purposes of the game, lets pretend that the lack of GPS positioning sattelite or a lack of resources or whatever does not permit factions to build or control ICBMs with sufficient accuracy
Old January 15, 2004, 16:12   #8
Cookie Monster
King

Now I understand why nukes work the way they do in Civ3.......
Old January 15, 2004, 17:20   #9
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
For the purposes of the game, lets pretend that the lack of GPS positioning sattelite or a lack of resources or whatever does not permit factions to build or control ICBMs with sufficient accuracy
Personally I blame the gravity, those missiles just can't enter the inner space in order to travel to their destinations faster and across shorter distance.

I'll never forget how one time in Civ2, an AI nuked me. I was stunned, I didn't think it'd happen ha. It has not happened to me in SMAC yet but who knows? Definitely not in the current game.
Old January 15, 2004, 17:39   #10
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 17:11
Quote:
And how do they land?
they weren't armed, just stuck on a jet/loaded on a ship/strapped to a big rover and moved to the next site.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 15, 2004, 17:47   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 12:11
I think this is one of those 'use your imagination' type scenarios.
Old January 16, 2004, 01:06   #12
d=me
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DataAeolus

Personally I blame the gravity, those missiles just can't enter the inner space in order to travel to their destinations faster and across shorter distance.
They should have the technology to push it into orbit. (or else how did they build the space elevator?)
Old January 16, 2004, 15:05   #13
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 18:11
A faction can achieve Clinical Immortality, build Space Elevator, discover Matter Transmission and Matter Editation, manipulate gravity - but cannot extend range of PB. No sense at all - but who cares? It works this way just fine.
Old January 16, 2004, 18:14   #14
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

The Ai cheats on the range anyway

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 16, 2004, 18:20   #15
Lazerus
King

Sparse fuel ? as Santi put
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 16, 2004, 19:36   #16
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Here's a PB that I dubbed ICMB for the PBEM game "Last Sentient Standing":

ICBM, Missile, Planet Buster,Scout, 0, 0, 0, HAL9000, -1, 01000000000000000010000010000

Essentially its got Drop Pods (Low Orbit capability), Fuel Nanocells (2nd stage rocket), and Antigrav Struts (3rd stage rocket), and the unit has a range of 30 tiles, give or take. Of course, if you detonate the ICBM on the same turn you used the Drop Pod capability, why you will only have half your attack capability (i.e. 49 instead of 99). Also, you can't "drop" the unit onto a sea tile - its a hardcoded feature of the game. FYI.

D
Old January 17, 2004, 01:18   #17
d=me
Prince

I will definitely accept this as a game play reason.
Old January 21, 2004, 19:12   #18
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

So what happens with the strength of 49? Does the Planet Bust still happen as normal?
Old January 21, 2004, 21:00   #19
Adalbertus
Prince

So, jam said it. An ICBM has an infinite range IF you agree to give your sentience to a computer. In other words: AI PB's have an infinite range, your own have a range of 16 tiles (IIRC).
OTOH, I think for gameplay reasons it is ok. You can cause enough havoc with drop units of an infinite range which are possible for a human player.
Anyway, I think it is impossible to match the movement speed of any strategy game to the city development or the speed of research without breaking the game into three. You can walk around earth in five years if you have decently paved ways. This would give you just a few city/base improvements and just one single important scientific breakthrough (if any). Its best just to live with it as a game.
Old January 22, 2004, 00:00   #20
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 06:11
I would rather NOT have a Planet Buster that can fly across the whole map the same turn it is created....

Although if I'M the one building it, then it's a different story.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 22, 2004, 03:57   #21
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Since planet busters become available with "orbital spaceflight", I have no problem with them being trully orbital. Of course, I don't use them, the AI already has them, and I only play solo, so it's a moot issue for me.

OTOH, I may enter that design into the lists for the tectonic missles.

BTW -- does the AI ever use those?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 22, 2004, 04:38   #22
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 06:11
'Busters or Tectonic missiles?

I can say first hand that Miriam likes to use her planet busters.

Suffice it to say that I lost a smackload of special projects in THAT game.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 22, 2004, 05:54   #23
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Oh, I've read all about buster-happy players -- human and AI alike.

When have you seen tectonics used, and in what way?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 22, 2004, 07:06   #24
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
They're great for instant land bridges.
With a few infantry transports and rover formers, you're 4 squares forward in any direction through the sea in one turn.

Late game, it's nice to see a magtube spring from nowhere using these missles.
Old January 22, 2004, 07:50   #25
Lazerus
King

i just like to cover morgan in fungus for a laugh and let the worms eat him
Old January 22, 2004, 08:20   #26
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Yes, but has the AI ever used them?
Old January 22, 2004, 09:56   #27
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Darsnan:
Quote:
Here's a PB that I dubbed ICMB for the PBEM game "Last Sentient Standing":

ICBM, Missile, Planet Buster,Scout, 0, 0, 0, HAL9000, -1, 01000000000000000010000010000

Essentially its got Drop Pods (Low Orbit capability), Fuel Nanocells (2nd stage rocket), and Antigrav Struts
(3rd stage rocket), and the unit has a range of 30 tiles, give or take. Of course, if you detonate the ICBM
on the same turn you used the Drop Pod capability, why you will only have half your attack capability (i.e.
49 instead of 99). Also, you can't "drop" the unit onto a sea tile - its a hardcoded feature of the game. FYI.

Holy s**t I am in that game.
Old January 22, 2004, 10:01   #28
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Iirc, Pbs can move along the magtube network without loss of a movement point. In SP games this could come in quite handy if your PB was stationed at the other side of your empire.
Old January 22, 2004, 12:22   #29
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
If not, my carrier infantry transport should take care of it!
Old January 22, 2004, 12:59   #30
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Darsnan:

Holy s**t I am in that game.

Could you, by chance, open an interdimension portal and transfer one to my Peace Keepers in AXT056? I could really use one right about now...

Anyways, yes, you are right: I did include this design in the "Last Sentient Standing" PBEM. Should be interesting to see if it ever comes into play or not. It may be humanities last hope for survival in this one....

D