Old January 16, 2004, 01:40   #31
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sprayber . . . that avatar of yours . . . it makes me feel kinda funny.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 16, 2004, 03:25   #32
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 11:12
Did you put on your clown nose?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 16, 2004, 03:31   #33
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

I had to edit it somewhat. I had to dress her up cause the orginal has no bottom or top. I have a full size version of her somewhere on my computer. With more color.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old January 16, 2004, 03:50   #34
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:12
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Like:

Those black dots are just transmission noise/errors that weren't corrected in the original picture.

That picture was taken with one of the Viking orbiters in 1976. Mars Global Surveryor (which is currently orbiting Mars) has taken relatively recent pictures of it with its higher resolution camera. The following are some examples of the "Viking Face" taken by MGS:

Overall view, comparing the "face" to other features in the immediate vicinity.

Close up

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Are they going to look for evidence of life?
Nope, Spirit and Opportunity are not designed to look for life. They are robotic geologists and their only purpose on these missions is to determine if/when water was last present on the surface of Mars. Some pictures seem to conclude that Mars has features that appear to have been sculpted by water.

Both rovers have spectrometers though, so depending on what chemicals are present, they could indirectly determine there is life. However these spectrometers are specifically looking for carbonate materials, which is indicative of either lacustrine or marine environments.

The other way that the rovers could detect if there was life on Mars is by taking picture of a rock that contains stromatolites. That sure would be an amazing find. I think MrWhereItsAt would find that almost as exciting as I would.

Though he doesn't care for sedimentary petrology as much as I do. :P

Edit: Don't post when tired, besides they weren't around in 1776... :P

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)

Last edited by WhiteBandit; January 16, 2004 at 04:07.
Old January 16, 2004, 03:56   #35
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Stromatolites are cooool.

I picked some up in Herkimer, NY.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 16, 2004, 03:58   #36
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 10:12
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
That picture was taken with one of the Viking orbiters in 1776.
Now THAT is a technological achievement.
Old January 16, 2004, 04:02   #37
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:12
LOL!

1976 is what I meant.

This is what I get for surfing the net and trying to strut my so called knowledge on 4 hours of sleep in 48 hours!

Also to clarify, the rovers could possibly find past life by taking a picture and seeing any sort of fossil embedded in the rock. I was just using stromatolites as an example, since they are such simple lifeforms. Huge colonies of single celled algae.

Example of stromatolites:

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)