Old January 20, 2004, 05:08   #31
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 16:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I have, as most of the others too, gotten used to this. Now I pay much more attention from what tile to attack, how much backup I have, artillery....

You have to plan your conquests much better, not just sent a couple of infatry to conquer 5 cities in a row.....
Old January 20, 2004, 16:36   #32
ratster
Settler

Dain, I don't know about the hidden fatigue factor, I've never seen any indication of this.

I have seen and empiricaly documented the movment thing though. This was by design in Civ II If I'm remembering right. So I try to do the same as you(not attack on the march.

Your right about the AI, it's as dumb as post regardless of level. The only differrence in levels is how much cheating advantage is given to the braindead AI.
Old January 20, 2004, 18:38   #33
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:13
There is only one AI, so the level you play does not effect it, unless you use the editor to alter it.

The AI does not cheat, other than knowing the tiles. It gets or gives handicaps bases on the level. Getting a handicap of extra units or production bonus is not cheating. Doing something that the other participants cannot is cheating. Such as building a unit without the required resources, that would be cheating.
When you select the level you are implicitedly giving the AI a bonus, so the rules are not broken during the game as cheating implies.
Old January 20, 2004, 18:49   #34
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Well put, vmxa1.

I swear, someone ought to save this response in their notepad and dust it off every time the "AI cheats" claim comes up. It would save lots of time.
Old January 20, 2004, 18:50   #35
ratster
Settler

Quote:
When you select the level you are implicitedly giving the AI a bonus, so the rules are not broken during the game as cheating implies.
So if I sit down to play someone a game of chess, lets say, and I flick a few of my opponents pieces onto the floor thats not cheating, I'm just giving myself a advantage?

That's a fine distinction, and possibly a lesson in semantics.

As far as the AI not being able to break the rules, that is do things the player cannot. I wouldn't be too sure about that without personally viewing the code.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:07   #36
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ratster

So if I sit down to play someone a game of chess, lets say, and I flick a few of my opponents pieces onto the floor thats not cheating, I'm just giving myself a advantage?

That's a fine distinction, and possibly a lesson in semantics.

As far as the AI not being able to break the rules, that is do things the player cannot. I wouldn't be too sure about that without personally viewing the code.
Your analogy is inappropriate. Would not knocking over piece violate the rules. If however you and I play and I agree to let you do that I cannot cry later that you cheated. I agree to it.

Look at a better analogy. I play a game of 9 ball and I agree to let you have the break and the 7 ball. If you break and make the game ball, you did not cheat.

Or at 8 ball, I offer to let you choose any three balls after the break to remove. You select them, you did not cheat, I gave you a spot a handicap. If however you just take three balls of on your own volition, that would be cheating.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:36   #37
Dain
Settler

Quote:
Dain, I don't know about the hidden fatigue factor, I've never seen any indication of this.

I have seen and empiricaly documented the movment thing though. This was by design in Civ II If I'm remembering right. So I try to do the same as you(not attack on the march.

Your right about the AI, it's as dumb as post regardless of level. The only differrence in levels is how much cheating advantage is given to the braindead AI.
The beauty of it is that is that we wont really know for sure unless they admit to it, which is not very likely.

The only evidence I really need is statistical evidence to support. If it was just sheer luck that inferior conscripts would roll over fortified elites then it is not something I would consistantly do in every combat.

I guess most people are not willing to sacrifice units on a regular basis.

I did say in my post that I could be wrong, but it would take a hell of a lot of coincidental luck over hundreds of games to generate those kinds of results.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:36   #38
ratster
Settler

Actually I'll stick with my analogy and clarify a bit. My opponent has a bad memory and doesn't realize I've removed the pieces. Only I know that I've cheated (or given myself and advantage).

In CIVIII it is not implicitly stated anywhere in the docs(AFAIK) that the difficulty level only affects advantage( I'm not sure what that fully includes either). Therefore, if the player is unaware of the specifics of the advantage it is cheating.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:44   #39
ratster
Settler

Dain- I've seen what you mean and have done my own empirical analysis(thru many hours of play with notepad at hand). It indicates that at every level above chieftan the computer gains some combat advantage. Something on the order of a 10-15% odds modifier(per level).
Old January 20, 2004, 19:53   #40
Dain
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
There is only one AI, so the level you play does not effect it, unless you use the editor to alter it.

The AI does not cheat, other than knowing the tiles. It gets or gives handicaps bases on the level. Getting a handicap of extra units or production bonus is not cheating. Doing something that the other participants cannot is cheating. Such as building a unit without the required resources, that would be cheating.
One thing I find ammusing is that the AI who hasn't explored my territory because I have a wall of troops blocking their access to my territory will actively attempt to send settlers to where I know there are resources and where he does not know there are resources because I can still offer him the technology.

I think the AI knows were all the resources are even before they get the technology or have explored the terrain. How often do I fight an AI that does not have iron, saltpetere, coal, oil, etc. Very rarely.

Cheat by definition means an unfair player and CIv's difficulty settings are not 'more challenging' or 'smarter' it is just 'unfair advantages'.

Starting with a ton of military units, an extra settler, workers, being able to create a ton of military units without maintenance, these are all 'cheat' types of modifications because they break the normal rules.

When you raise the difficulty of chess games they do not give themselves more queens or more pieces, they just become smarter in the type of moves they make.

This is what is sadly lacking in Civ, still.

There is always a point in a civ game where you know you have beaten all the computer players way before you have even done so. Luck has very little to do with it.

Once I get to the modern age in any difficulty setting I have won the game. Because the AI is stupid and no amount of starting advantage is enough to cope with hi-tech warfare.

Yes, I will unleash 50+ ICBMs on the remaining civs because it doesn't matter if I turn the world into a dustball, I will still win.

So the only real challenge is the survival of Civ's cheat mode early on.

It is cheating because the computer is playing with a different set of rules as to corruption, maintenance, etc. I'm trying to play chess and he is playing checkers. It does not make for a fair game.

Nontheless, once you get over that it is still a fun game, I often do not finish games. My 'game' is seeing if the AIs can stop me from getting to the modern age, I dont need to finish most games after that point.
Old January 20, 2004, 20:08   #41
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
You are wrong on most points. It is a simple combat system but it is not intuitive. Information in the game is not sufficient to explain or else why would people complain? Why would they start threads about combat?

If in Civ the Infantry's odds of victory are 71% but people perceptions are that in real life their odds would be more like 97% then the game is deceptive to the player and that is an indisputable fact. To fix that the developer only needed to nuture the players by providing information. They did not do that. That is all I am saying.
If the player doesn't even know the A/D values of his units, then he's in trouble anyways. The system is intuitive - A/(A+D) is about as simple as it gets.
Old January 20, 2004, 20:12   #42
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dain
For example, I believe there is a hidden morale/fatigue factor which is a basic mechanic throughout the whole game and not modifiable in the editor. Again, I may be wrong but have had too much success with it.

I believe the more a unit is in combat in a given turn the more it fatigues and eventually anything will roll over it. We have all seen it with military civilisations. You are fighting a horde and you from regular, to veteran to elite and then some conscript rolls over you without you scratching it. Mathematically the odds of that happening with any type of consistancy is non-existant.

Also, units that move and fight in the same turn have suffered heavier casualties than units which are attacking from fresh. I will never attack a city on the march, because I have seen my tanks being defeated by spearmen when on the move.

I will also use alot of chaff units (if I have any, like conscripts) on a fresh unit. If it doesn't die its a bonus, if it does then it softens up the target for one of my better units even if it has not scratched it.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Firaxis has CLEARLY explained the combat engine, and it has been TESTED by numerous players (especially alexman) who have confirmed Firaxis' claims.

Quote:
Bombardment is another issue. I used to never take catapults early in the game because even in large numbers they rarely damaged anything. Units that are being combarded seem to defend less effectively. I've tested it thousands of times and its now pary of my early strategy to utilise catapults because I suffer far fewer casualties when taking enemy cities.
That's partly psychology and partly the fact that - get this - Catapults damage units. Duh.

Quote:
The size of a unit stack seems to also have a morale/fatigue factor. You can run your own tests. I have had a massive stack of warriors take over a city defended by a couple of fortified musketmen behind walls. Mathematically they should all crash and burn. Units in large stacks in general seem to perform better than normal, it is why it can be extemely difficult to take over with a large number of crappy defenders.
Again, psychology. The statistics prove you wrong.

Quote:
Again, I might be wrong but there is too much consistancy and evidence to suggest that there are other contributing factors which have an influence. If there are not then there is something very seriously wrong with the mathematical odds of winning battles, because the 'miracle' victory occurs far too frequently.
See, your entire argument is based on a fallacy! You are using anecdotes as evidence.

Quote:
I think it is also a safety mechanism because you can have a civilisation that is unlucky enough to be severely limited in the type of military units you can build. If all the fights were too clinical in terms of attack vs defense then in most cases you would struggle to ever recover from a poor starting position.
You do... duh.

I can still defeat civilisations who are in the second age with archers and spearmen. That should not be 'mathematically' possible. [/q]

Yes it should - just unlikely. Calculate the odds yourself, do tests, and see if the odds don't meet your calculations.
Old January 20, 2004, 20:15   #43
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Dain- I've seen what you mean and have done my own empirical analysis(thru many hours of play with notepad at hand). It indicates that at every level above chieftan the computer gains some combat advantage. Something on the order of a 10-15% odds modifier(per level).
Firaxis has plainly denied this, and many players have conducted tests that prove them right.
Old January 20, 2004, 20:46   #44
ratster
Settler

Quote:
Firaxis has plainly denied this, and many players have conducted tests that prove them right.
Where? specifically, link please.
Old January 20, 2004, 21:49   #45
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Actually I'll stick with my analogy and clarify a bit. My opponent has a bad memory and doesn't realize I've removed the pieces. Only I know that I've cheated (or given myself and advantage).

In CIVIII it is not implicitly stated anywhere in the docs(AFAIK) that the difficulty level only affects advantage( I'm not sure what that fully includes either). Therefore, if the player is unaware of the specifics of the advantage it is cheating.
If you do not know what the bonus is for a given level look at teh editor. I have posted it many time for al the levels for C3C, it is no mystery.

Amusing attempt, but still not valid. Nothing is being done by the AI, during the game that is not following the rules, other than knowning the tile and what is on them and that is the game rules.
Old January 20, 2004, 21:59   #46
vmxa1
Deity

[Originally posted by Dain

"One thing I find ammusing is that the AI who hasn't explored my territory because I have a wall of troops blocking their access to my territory will actively attempt to send settlers to where I know there are resources and where he does not know there are resources because I can still offer him the technology.

I think the AI knows were all the resources are even before they get the technology or have explored the terrain. How often do I fight an AI that does not have iron, saltpetere, coal, oil, etc. Very rarely."

That is what I said the AI know the tiles and what is on them. So it knwos that iron is over at that location without seeing the map or even having Iron Working. That is cheat.

(Cheat by definition means an unfair player and CIv's difficulty settings are not 'more challenging' or 'smarter' it is just 'unfair advantages'.)

That is not correct, you do not cheat when you have an agreement to give them a spot of some sort.

"Starting with a ton of military units, an extra settler, workers, being able to create a ton of military units without maintenance, these are all 'cheat' types of modifications because they break the normal rules."

They do not break the rules fo rthat level of difficulty. They are handicaps and are part of many unequal contest. The AI is not equal to me at Civ and needs the help. I choose to accept it or not.

"When you raise the difficulty of chess games they do not give themselves more queens or more pieces, they just become smarter in the type of moves they make."

Who cares about chess this is Civ.

"This is what is sadly lacking in Civ, still.

There is always a point in a civ game where you know you have beaten all the computer players way before you have even done so. Luck has very little to do with it.

Once I get to the modern age in any difficulty setting I have won the game. Because the AI is stupid and no amount of starting advantage is enough to cope with hi-tech warfare.

Yes, I will unleash 50+ ICBMs on the remaining civs because it doesn't matter if I turn the world into a dustball, I will still win.

So the only real challenge is the survival of Civ's cheat mode early on.

It is cheating because the computer is playing with a different set of rules as to corruption, maintenance, etc. I'm trying to play chess and he is playing checkers. It does not make for a fair game.

Nontheless, once you get over that it is still a fun game, I often do not finish games. My 'game' is seeing if the AIs can stop me from getting to the modern age, I dont need to finish most games after that point."

You make the point, the handicaps are requuired. Getting a beter AI is not in the cards so people need to forget about that.
Old January 20, 2004, 22:47   #47
ratster
Settler

Quote:
Amusing attempt, but still not valid. Nothing is being done by the AI, during the game that is not following the rules, other than knowning the tile and what is on them and that is the game rules.
And you know this how? You're a programmer who wrote the code? Your omniscient? You are the one true God? Please do tell this mere mortal and seeker of knowledge, oh great one.
Old January 20, 2004, 23:19   #48
Antrine
Prince

Well, this has certainly become a 'fun' thread!!

Personally, I slide into the psychology/magick side of playing. I stack superstitiously. I rest before attacking the units. I attack from superior terrain when possible (this may be valid)
But statistics are statistics and magick is by experience, thankyou I live blessedly in a 'game delusion'. With more arbitrary events I can more easily enhance this, so again please bring back 'events editor'.

However, as being divine, yes I am I made the map didn't I? I carefully placed each tile and resource the world IS of my making, therefore I must be divine.

Your can pay me for two-cents later,
I'll send you elsewhere
Old January 21, 2004, 00:05   #49
Dain
Settler

[QUOTE] Originally posted by skywalker
Quote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Firaxis has CLEARLY explained the combat engine, and it has been TESTED by numerous players (especially alexman) who have confirmed Firaxis' claims.
I have not seen any detailed explanation of the mechanics either in the manual or on their website. Besides, this is not the first game which has said it works like this but actually does not.

As I said in my original post, I may not be correct in my assumptions but utilising my assumptions and adjusting my play style which has resulted in much greater success for me.

If you do not believe it or do not care to read what I have said then that is not my problem and I do not really care.

Quote:
That's partly psychology and partly the fact that - get this - Catapults damage units. Duh.
Your childish sarcasm again fails to ammuse me and highlights that you again lack the ability to read what I have posted. I said that I find there is a clear undocumented benefit to bombardment EVEN when it fails to damage the enemy unit.

Obviously, damaging the unit just makes the benefit that much greater.

Quote:
Again, psychology. The statistics prove you wrong.
What phamtom statistics are you referring to? I am just explaining observations from my experience. I do not care if people agree with them or not. It works best for me, i lose far less units than i do with smaller stacks so I play it my way.

Again, my care factor about your own opinions is very small. I do not think Fraxis would give out all the details for how everything works out. It is a strategy game. You do things, you experiment and you use the things that work the best for you.

If some lemmings wish to follow set of rules that think is exactly how the game works then it couldn't make me happier.

All I know is that I have never needed to utilise the civ editor to know how the game functions, for me its try new things and see what works and what doesn't after testing those theories out.

I do not know how many times you wish to me to re-state that my opinions on how the game operates might not be 100% correct but seem to be too consistant with my own testing to think that it is baseless.

You have presented as little evidence to back up any of your theories as I have with mine. For my puproses my testing is adequate and changing my strategy has led me to be able to consistantly defeat the AIs on the hardest setting irrespective of how poor my start is.

I do not think I know everything there is to know about the game, only a fool would make that assumption. What I believe works for me and you know why I feel that way? Because I very rarely lose in any standard game I play.

Some games are alot harder than others though, and that is what I find enjoyable, winning against the odds.

Civ AI has to be one of the poorest combat AI's for a strategy based game. Too many bad decisions even a monkey would know better than to make.

More often than not I will win due to the incompetence of the AI rather than forcing me to make good strategical and tactical moves.

It is why relying on 'unfair' advantage as a means to determine difficulty is a very bad idea. Civ is a good ammusement "theme oriented" game, as far as a strategy and tactical game it is really on the simplistic side.
Old January 21, 2004, 00:34   #50
Antrine
Prince

Dain, I love the game editor, hell with the learning, there are many 'other' goodies in there. Like I noticed how the AI's favor 'warriors' with fever than denies intelligence. I avoid using them, still do mostly, however I tweaked them nicely and I now I enjoy much more the 'competitive fun' from the AI's. These warriors now move 2, have addtional strike points and another hit point for added endurance. Now when I see a stack 10 or 15 AI warriors coming my way, I pay much more attention.
I'll send you elsewhere
Old January 21, 2004, 00:48   #51
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:13
Jesus Christ, its not like the game hasn't been out 2.5 years already!

Here's one combat calculator that's been pretty good (not sure if its updated for PTW and C3C http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3combatcalc.html

Here's a more updated one: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=75765

And no, I don't have a link proving these to be accurate, but people like Alexman for example have run literally thousands of tests on units and the results match what Firaxis has given us, ie the attack vs defense + modifiers.
Old January 21, 2004, 01:14   #52
ratster
Settler

Yeah, what Dain said... anywho

To quote, from the manual concerning difficulty levels;

Quote:
A number of factors are adjusted at each difficulty level, including the general level of discontentment among your citizens and the average craftiness and intelligence of the AI leaders.
and this excerpt;

Quote:
Monarch: Experienced and skilled players often play at this level, where the crafty enemy leaders and the unstable attitude of your citizens combine to present a significant challenge.
Ok, someone please tell me when they've seen this craftiness refferred to in the manual, LOL!

The AI sucks, big suprise, and it cheats, yet another surprise. Would it have been so hard, given a 235 page manual, to add a few details as to what specifically the "number of factors" are.

ps: asleep; those links don't lead to any combat calculators, just adds.
Old January 21, 2004, 01:59   #53
vmxa1
Deity

ratster you need only to wait or to select the skip function to see the calculators. Not to be cruel, but really does not do your arguments much good if you can't see that much.
Old January 21, 2004, 02:06   #54
ratster
Settler

Wait! you expect me, the ratster, to wait, I have cable baby, I wait not!

As an aside, I found some of my notes(thought I chucked em long ago) on the empirical tests that I ran. Very odd, there was only a marginal difference between (regular) cavalry or (regular) tanks attacking (regular) spearmen(on grassland unfortified). After 500 combats, 16 dead cavalry, 11 dead tanks. Each unit attacked only once, without moving, at monarch level. Maybe the way they generate random numbers is really screwed up, and it only evens out after tens of thousands of uses.

Last edited by ratster; January 21, 2004 at 03:04.
Old January 21, 2004, 07:07   #55
Dain
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Antrine
Dain, I love the game editor, hell with the learning, there are many 'other' goodies in there. Like I noticed how the AI's favor 'warriors' with fever than denies intelligence. I avoid using them, still do mostly, however I tweaked them nicely and I now I enjoy much more the 'competitive fun' from the AI's. These warriors now move 2, have addtional strike points and another hit point for added endurance. Now when I see a stack 10 or 15 AI warriors coming my way, I pay much more attention.
I think its fine to make modifications to the game, I do not have a problem with it at all. You just can not guage how well your overall performance is compared to other players if you modify any part of the game.

Mind you, they have totally botched corruption in Conquests. Don't know what they were thinking. Trying to win via domination is quite ammusing with the current levels of corruption.
Old January 21, 2004, 13:07   #56
Tall Stranger
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dain
I have not seen any detailed explanation of the mechanics either in the manual or on their website. Besides, this is not the first game which has said it works like this but actually does not.
There are numerous posts here at Apolyton that demonstrate that the combat system works as advertised. An attacking units chance of scoring a hit against a defender IS A/ (A+D). If you believe it to be otherwise, provide clear statistical, repeatable proof. The truth is, you can't. Your personal beliefs are absolutely irrelevant.

Quote:
If you do not believe it or do not care to read what I have said then that is not my problem and I do not really care.
The point is that your claims are 100% false. If this were only a case of you, in the privacy of your own home, believing such nonsense, no one would care. But when you post this nonsense on a public forum, in a place where newbies go for information on how to improve their games, it becomes everyone's business. The information you offer WILL NOT help any newbie improve their Civ3 skills. In fact, it will hurt their game, not help it.

Quote:
What phamtom statistics are you referring to? I am just explaining observations from my experience. I do not care if people agree with them or not. It works best for me, i lose far less units than i do with smaller stacks so I play it my way.
And I personally believe, from my own observation, that if I use F4 to bring up my future adversary, stare at him for a really long time, shout at him for 10 minutes, then declare war, I win much easier. I think it has to do with the super-secret code that Firaxis and Microsoft developed, with the support of the CIA, to control our minds. In fact, my post is probably the result of them taking over my brain and forcing me to write this. Does this sound reasonable to you?

The reason for the sarcasm is not to insult you. It is instead to point out that, absent convincing statistical proof (which you have yet to offer and which I am confident you can not provide), your claims are as nonsensical as the drivel I wrote above.

Quote:
I do not think Fraxis would give out all the details for how everything works out.
But they have explained how the combat system works. Furthermore, for them to claim it works one way, when it actually works differently, would be an insanely foolish business decision. Since the combat system can be easily tested, any lie they told would be detected fairly quickly. Such a lie would destroy any faith the Civ community has in the product, and would devastate future sales. In short, they have absolutely no incentive to lie, and every incentive to tell the truth.

Quote:
If some lemmings wish to follow set of rules that think is exactly how the game works then it couldn't make me happier.
And if some conspiracy nuts want to believe the game "cheats" that's fine with me, as long as they don't mislead new players into thinking they know what they're talking about.

Quote:
I do not think I know everything there is to know about the game, only a fool would make that assumption. What I believe works for me and you know why I feel that way? Because I very rarely lose in any standard game I play.
The number of games you've won is irrelevant. It just means you're smart enough to overcome the bad decisions/ faulty perceptions you have. What I can guarantee you is that, if you know the truth about the combat system, you will win more easily or at a higher level than you currently do.
Old January 21, 2004, 13:43   #57
vmxa1
Deity

Here is the break down of the AI bonus per level for reference:

Civilizations III Conquests 1.0

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chief. Warlord Regent Monarch Emp. Demigod Deity Sid

AI Bonuses
Def Land Units 0 0 0 2 4 6 8 12
Off Land Units 0 0 0 1 2 3 4 6
Start unit type 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 2
Start unit type 2 0 0 0 0 1 2 2 4
Extra free support 0 0 0 4 8 12 16 24
Bonus for each city 0 0 0 1 2 3 4 8
Max gov transition 0 0 0 4 3 2 2 1
Cost factor 20 12 10 9 8 7 6 4
AI to AI trade 110 120 130 140 150 160 170 200

Other variables
Citizens born content 4 3 2 2 1 1 1 1
Citizens quelled 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Attack bonus vs barbs 800 400 200 100 50 25 0 0
Percent optimal cities 100 95 90 85 80 70 60 50--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of Defensive Land Units (Additional AI Starting Units)
Determines how many extra defensive land units the AI will start with on the selected difficulty level. To determine which unit is used, the AI will determine which available unit (e.g. units that can currently be built) is its best defender.

Number of Offensive Land Units (Additional AI Starting Units)
Determines how many extra offensive land units the AI will start with on the selected difficulty level. To determine which unit is used, the AI will determine which available unit (e.g. units that can currently be built) is its best attacker.

Number of Start Unit Type 1 (Additional AI Starting Units)
Determines how many extra type 1 start units the AI will start with on the selected difficulty level. This corresponds to the default start unit 1 on the general settings page (normally a worker).

Number of Start Unit Type 2 (Additional AI Starting Units)
Determines how many extra type 2 start units the AI will start with on the selected difficulty level. This corresponds to the default start unit 2 on the general settings page (normally a settler).

Additional Free Support (AI Unit Support Bonuses)
Determines how many extra units the AI can support, in addition to any existing governmental bonuses, on the selected difficulty level. Note that this number is cumulative with all other support bonuses.

Bonus for Each City (AI Unit Support Bonuses)
Determines how many extra units the AI can support per city, in addition to any existing governmental bonuses, on the selected difficulty level. Note that this number is cumulative with all other support bonuses

Max Government Transition Time (AI Bonuses)
Determines the maximum number of turns the AI must remain in the transition government type (default is Anarchy) before transitioning to the newly selected government type. Setting this number lower will reduce the negative effects of switching governments. The default value of zero means there is no maximum to how long this can take.

Cost Factor (AI Bonuses)
Determines the cost factor that is applied to AI growth, shields, and research. The player's cost factor is always 10. Choosing a value higher than 10 means the AI will be at a disadvantage, while choosing a value lower than 10 means the AI will be at an advantage.

AI to AI trade rate (AI Bonuses)
Determines the percentage multiplier used in AI – AI trade sessions on the selected difficulty level. This value is a percentage (acceptable values range from 100% to 1000%) which is multiplied by the total value (in gold) of the initiating civ’s offerings, which is used by the "other" AI civ to determine whether a deal is acceptable or not. For example, with a rate of 120, an AI civ offering 100 gold to another AI civ for something would actually be worth 120 gold to the other AI civ.

This rate directly affects the frequency and aggressiveness with which AI civs trade amongst themselves.

Number of Citizens Born Content
Determines how many citizens in a new city are born content for the selected difficulty level. The lower the number, the more difficult the game will be.

Number of Citizens Quelled by Military
Determines how many rioting-citizens are quelled with the presence of military units.

Attack Bonus Against Barbarians
Determines the attack bonus enjoyed by any player (human or AI) against barbarians. A value of zero means the barbarians have no combat disadvantage, thus a barbarian warrior would be as powerful as the warrior of any player in the game.

Percentage of Optimal Cities
Determines what percentage of the optimal number of cities setting (found on the world sizes page) is actually optimal on the selected difficulty level. If this value is 100%, the optimal number of cities will be equal to the default setting for the given world size. At 50%, the optimal number of cities is halved. At 200%, the optimal number of cities is doubled. This value will not match the value on the World Sizes page exactly because the corruption setting of the player's government type is also a modifier.
Old January 21, 2004, 13:47   #58
Scriblerus
Settler

Personally before launching an attack on an enemy city I always sacrifice a small mammal to appease Sid. And always, always wear my lucky sock. On my head. There's a chant too, but that's my secret.

Works for me.
War can so easily be gilt with romance and heroism and solemn national duty and patriotism and the like by persons whose superficial literary and oratorical talent covers an abyss of Godforsaken folly - G B Shaw
Old January 21, 2004, 13:57   #59
Tall Stranger
Warlord

FOOL! You have violated the Brotherhood's sacred oath! The Enforcement Bureau is on its way to your location as we speak! They will cut out your wagging tongue and then throw you into a tank of water, full of sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads.
Old January 21, 2004, 14:17   #60
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Scriblerus
Personally before launching an attack on an enemy city I always sacrifice a small mammal to appease Sid. And always, always wear my lucky sock. On my head. There's a chant too, but that's my secret.

Works for me.
That is a funny vision, btw I need that chant.