Old January 16, 2004, 15:53   #1
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 16:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
And why not a RoN Democracy Game ?
I just bought the game today and I'm still in the beginning of my first world conquest, and even though I m not sure of the details about RoN being played MP, I think there can be a way to play it DG. With several nations being played by human players, of course.

Does anyone who knows well the game have any feedback ?
Old January 16, 2004, 19:43   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 12:16
I still don't even know what a Democracy game is.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 21:29   #3
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
I thought if theres a way to play it multiplayer, theres eventually a way to make it democracy game, even using tricks. Like one multiplayer game played by several players representing several teams. In each team each player is responsible for one frontline, and it would actually be a normal multiplayer game. It just need to be stopable at any time, methinks.

And to Anun, a Democracy Game (a DG) is a civ-like game where multiple players play a game, in the same faction/nation/etc... and where they roleplay to decide about things, using common democracy rules. Like votes.
Old January 17, 2004, 11:04   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 19:16
In other words, democracy games are an easy way for some people to have a thousand posts per month while really contributing nothing to the forum .
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2004, 09:56   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:16
Local Date: November 3, 2010
They contribute by playing a game on this gaming-related site.

How would a DG work in relation to RoN though?
Perhaps a Conquer the World game with votes on who to attack, which cards (if any) to buy, etc, and then one player plays the invasion game. Then new rounds of voting and another person plays the next game. Not quite the traditional DG, true, but it may be workable...
Old January 22, 2004, 08:30   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:16
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Then again, perhaps the lack of posters here would make a DG rather dull...
Old January 22, 2004, 14:46   #7
Pandemoniak
King

That was the main idea, skanky burns. Plus it would be a multifaction DG, thus each a group of players is responsible for each nation. Each player could be responsible for one frontline, etc... After playing RoN for days and nights, I think it wont be real fun in a Conquest the World game -- and still dont know if its feasible, a MP internet in conquer the world -- but I think a few players could imagine a MP campaign that would work in the same way than conquer the world, but would be done under script edit.

If it could work, all we have to decide is on which famous war could we play ? :nasty:
Old January 22, 2004, 17:54   #8
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 10:16
I don't see how a demo game could really work with RON.

There really isn't allot for a group to decide on, as it is an RTS and decisions are made on the fly, as opposed to a TBS where each decision can have some time and thought for a group of folks to come in and make suggestions.

Even in CTW the only real decisions would be what wonder to build or who to attack and perhaps which player got what.

That said, if you wanted to get an organized MP simulation of something similar to CTW going, it could be done, but might take a little work. I've seen a similar thing done with Shogun to simulate it's strategy portion.

Basically someone would create a map with regions and such, or even use the CTW one, then would would manually place each 'player on a given region and they decided where they attacked then the two players would play via internet to see who won.

The only thing that couldn't be simulated would be the bonus cards, but you could even do the ages by just making each 'turn' battle capped at a given age or something.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 14:42   #9
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 11:16
While I'm not a big fan of DGs, if it is the wish of the crew here, I'd be willing to have a few DG threads topped here in the general forum. AND if it takes off, recommend to upper management that a new forum be created. But the concept would have to be proved first and done with miminal effort. (on my part )
Old January 28, 2004, 23:18   #10
MattH
King

First we'd have to get organized enough to even be online at the same time . But is sounds like a great concept, even if played by teams of two.
Old January 29, 2004, 03:39   #11
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 06:16
How would that work during the RTS sections? When your making your siege weapons and want to take out the opposing players buildings in real time, I don't think one can just stop the game and go DG.

(I'd go if there is the Japanese! Gun Samurai all the way!)

BANZAI!!!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2004, 07:18   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 18:16
I have thought about this idea before, but some basic ideas in CTW can't be exported to MP:

In CTW you can start the game with several Rare Resources, without they even need to be on the game-map, while you can also gain the special abilities of wonders, without having a wonder on the map...
This might be possible to build in the scenario editor (Haven't played around with it), but as far as I know, it's impossible to play a MP scenario... I might be mistaking though... never played this game MP, just went into the "host game" area once to check to see if it was possible...