Old January 16, 2004, 23:46   #1
siz
Settler

Local Time: 16:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
what's the highest difficulty you finished?
Curious if anyone beat deity, demi god or Sid. I'm wondering if the highest beatable level is deity, coz Sid level is too much.

I only beat it on emporer, almost won space race on demi-god until the AI won the game culturally, I had it won otherwise if I had space race down soon.
Old January 17, 2004, 00:44   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:17
Beaten deity. No real attempt yet to beat Sid, just a foray or two.
Old January 17, 2004, 10:14   #3
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 13:17
Monarch. The levels above it are not appealing to me because of the huge benefits the AI gets.
Old January 17, 2004, 11:28   #4
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:17
emperor, and thatīs the only level I play for the moment, it feels like the right challenge for me...
Your method equals wipe out
Old January 17, 2004, 11:29   #5
MattPilot
Prince

"whats the highest difficulty you finished?"

funny - i got 'finished' within a few minutes on sid
Old January 17, 2004, 22:43   #6
Flip McWho
Warlord

Local Time: 04:17
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well the only game I finished was on warlord, actually I think I lost that one, the Chinese beat me to the spaceship. Real good game that one. Well besides that one I've never finished a game in Civ3, I usually get bored before the end.
Old January 17, 2004, 23:45   #7
geniemalin
Chieftain

Emperor - (1) a bizarre domination victory where I was way behind in tech but managed to take down the Zulu's riflemen-defended cities with trebuchets and knight armies. Of course, having the Pentagon and Military Academy made them b@d-@ss knight armies, but still.... [and let me add at this point that having no access to saltpeter truly sucks in the late Mediaeval tree] and (2) another victory from behind, Diplomatic with Theadora (I was nice to everyone but was going to lose the space race and was also vulnerable to a concerted attack, so used my SGL which I'd been holding for ages, to complete the UN and won the vote...)

Based on the fact my Emperor victories have been 'iron out of the fire' I don't think I'm ready to step up to Deity.

Last edited by geniemalin; January 17, 2004 at 23:55.
Old January 19, 2004, 06:13   #8
mr Rura
Settler

i completed emperor and don't even want to play on deity - why should i stress myself . oh, maybe in far future...
Old January 19, 2004, 09:10   #9
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 11:17
I can win on Emperor - tiny maps, but like Alex I prefer playing Monarch - above that the AI has too many bonuses, especially the tech bonus I just can't stand when the AI is more than 6-8 techs ahead of me, the challenge becomes not only unpleasant but unplayable ( on larger maps when you have to reach Modern Times, it's quite harder ).

The map size and initial settings can influence a lot the difficulty of a game. Choosing tiny map+Elimination 1 city ( only very occasionally did I play that kind of game between two behemoth ones ) can be playable for me on Emperor/Demi-God; otherwise on larger maps with only vanilla victory conditions enabled, Monarch remains the prefect challenge.
Old January 19, 2004, 11:57   #10
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

deity

prefer playing on emperor
Old January 19, 2004, 11:58   #11
Cookie Monster
King

Monarch, but I can't beat it consistantly yet. When I can I plan on trying emperor.
Old January 19, 2004, 12:24   #12
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 10:17
I have never been a real big fan of SP

but recently (as in earlier this month), I decided that it would be interesting to see what levels I could win with just one city (with the additional stipulation that I could not leave my radius)

playing with just one city I beat emperor

haven't managed demigod yet

Jon Miller
Old January 20, 2004, 03:53   #13
siz
Settler

Could you explain what tactics you used to win on emporer with just 1 city? I can't see how it's possible even on small map, where the AI have 15 cities each. Unless they are fighting each other, still will have 1 dominant AI. and with 1 city how is it possible to get pass the ancient age before someone overuns you?
Old January 20, 2004, 04:50   #14
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 17:17
I won a couple of deity games, but that's not what I call fun. I play to relax, not to have a second job. My usual level is emperor, and although it's not overly challenging, it suits well as source of fun. After Conquests is fixed (I mean an official patch), I may look a bit closer at demigod.
Old January 20, 2004, 04:59   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by siz
Could you explain what tactics you used to win on emporer with just 1 city? I can't see how it's possible even on small map, where the AI have 15 cities each. Unless they are fighting each other, still will have 1 dominant AI. and with 1 city how is it possible to get pass the ancient age before someone overuns you?
Toe Truck as some OCC threads on the strag forum. Look back a few months, mmaybe 90 days.
Old January 20, 2004, 05:03   #16
vmxa1
Deity

Sir Ralph, I can hardly tell the difference bewteen Emp and Demi, if you have good starts. You will not have any issues. The only thing that is a concern is the lethal bombing from planes. If you get a KAI on another landmass it is very annoying. That was not a concern even in deity in PTW as planes did not have lethal.
Old January 20, 2004, 05:14   #17
Daz
Prince

Monarch. I have to admit I never tried winning if I got behind in tech and wonders. I just quit.... (pathetic, aint it?)

But I promise, I'll give it a shot...
Old January 20, 2004, 10:11   #18
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:17
Emperor. I didn't enjoy that level though.
Old January 20, 2004, 13:27   #19
MINNJPN
Settler

Just beat Emperor for the 1st time, and it's way too much work. Without the 3 SGL I got at the perfect time, I would have been Purina dogchow for a hungry AI wolfhound. Back to Monarch, at least for a while.
Old January 20, 2004, 14:57   #20
Myrddin
Warlord

Emperor, but it feels like it is on a knife edge most of the time

Monarch feels much easier on Conquests due to the changes in trading rules - you are unlikely to get so far behind in tech
Old January 20, 2004, 17:51   #21
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 17:17
Emperor. If I get a good start (access to iron, horses and 3 luxuries, 4 AI neighbors for tech trading), this level can be 'fun', otherwise it feels like hard work. At least it teaches you not always to rely on the same strategy.

I'll try Demigod eventually, and if I manage to beat it, Emperor surely will be fun all the time.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old January 20, 2004, 18:16   #22
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MINNJPN
Just beat Emperor for the 1st time, and it's way too much work. Without the 3 SGL I got at the perfect time, I would have been Purina dogchow for a hungry AI wolfhound. Back to Monarch, at least for a while.
If you managd 3 SGL's you were doing something right. It was funny though, but I suspect you were not in any trouble.
Old January 21, 2004, 09:18   #23
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:17
I won two cheftain games and played a really long warlord game which didn't work out 'cause I was stuck on a island and really sucked - i was only one or two techs ahead of everyone else although did come 4th...
Old January 21, 2004, 10:37   #24
David Murray
Prince

Believe me, every single person who has the cognitive ability to post a message here also has (latent, sometimes realized) ability to beat Civilization at Deity, and probably even Sid.

It would, however, in many cases require proper 'training' - ala school or university style, contact with those who have mastered it themselves - and intense concentration. Put yourself in the right mindset, approach Civilization like a game of chess or a mathematical problem, rather than a game where you have fun by building improvements and wonders and making your civilization nice, and you will sail through.

I usually do Emperor but alas I can rarely resist the temptation to over-build! For Emperor and above, military units and domination is definitely the most efficacious method of achieving victory.
Old January 21, 2004, 10:44   #25
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I finished a diety game for the civfanatics GOTM one. I have beaten the diety level several times but not won. I don't really like playing high levels because you really need to check the trading screen with each AI every single and its just too much work. Poor interface.
Old January 21, 2004, 10:54   #26
ErikM
Warlord

Second that... Why can't my foreign advisor prepare a resume "France has a worker for sale while Germany has Bronze Working" instead of these useless blurbs like "French are afraid of our warrior".
Old January 21, 2004, 12:32   #27
WackenOpenAir
Chieftain

Just got the game today !

(availability was quite a problem here in holland)

used to play deity only in civ3, now started the campaign at emperor level cuz everything is new and ****ed over and will have to find out everything again.

On top of that, i just noticed the city ring placement doesnt work anymore, which is the main reason i came back to these forums again.

the first campain seems to be extremely easy on emperor though, with my 4th city i am already so much ahead of everyone (one more city, many more techs and communications) it looks like i should have done it on sid. But i guess that will change in the later levels.
Old January 21, 2004, 15:21   #28
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 02:17
rather than jsut saying "you won" at deity level or whatever, would be more interesting to see what win you had.

posters should state that in their posts ..

I have won all types of victory at Chieften level, at warlord i have only won cultural and domiantion and space.

Also won cultural at regent level .
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old January 21, 2004, 18:37   #29
vmxa1
Deity

Holy cow, who can remember that much. I am doing good to remember the civ I used in all but the last game.

Some do stick in your mind, but with more than 2 years of CivIII..

I like to take each iteration of Civ and play all the levels to see what they are like. I did that with CivIII and each patch. I did it with PTW and some of the patches.
I am slowly trying to do that with C3C, but I elected not to bother with the lower 3 levels as with so many levels it would just take to long.
Due to the delay in the patch for FP, I have been sort of marking time. So I have played Monarch/Emp/Demi for wins so far. I like to use std maps. I can't be sure , but I know space ships, domination are the ones I recall.
Often I turn off all but Dom and Conquest, but not so far with C3C. I will wait for a few more games before I start doing that again.
Old January 22, 2004, 01:48   #30
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 02:17
i turn off the victory conditions i have acheived as i get them to try get the other tpyes at each leve lbefore moving on usually
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71