Old January 17, 2004, 02:41   #1
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Idea for "Temporary Wonders"
I was thinking, what if there were wonders that could be built by every civ. Once a civ builds it, they get the benifits for a certain number of turns. After, they no longer have that wonder, and all civs can attempt to build it again.

The benefits would be mostly cultural and commerce, but their could be others.

Suggestions:

Olympics
World Cup
Gladiator Games
World Trade Organization
UN Secretary General

Also, perhaps "Guardian of" certain items, such as the Holy Grail, the Mona Lisa, etc.

Just a thought...
The Emperor Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 10:21   #2
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 10:17
cool idea
Old January 17, 2004, 14:22   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:17
I don't know, the feel just doesn't seem civ...

How about they petition the UN for certain 'Projects' instead of having to build wonders?

And they can bid on the LABOR/CREDIT/PRODUCTION costs for each of them in the UN...

I think that would work better- (and give the UN more things to do)

and the options could still be temporary...
Old January 17, 2004, 16:10   #4
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 18:17
Interesting idea, but:

Olympics/World Cup/Gladiator Games is something that happens in less than a year, and it does absolutely not come by building it you know.

WTO is an organization, and is not something you build. Also, I doubt it will be closed down, and then be gone some turns, untill it it started again.

UN Secretary General is a job, and is not buildable. It also is a part of the UN(which can be built), and suits better as a diplomatic option like in SMAC, IMHO.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 17:30   #5
KingSquanto
Settler

I agree that these things don't really make much sense to be 'built', but if all nations could vote on the issue, say am election for the Gaurdian of the Mona Lisa would be between the nations with the cities of greatest culture, and having the mona lisa in your city would act as a tourist attraction and give that city more culture. Maybe a Civ has to build the Mona Lisa first, and after building it, that country could choose weather hold a vote or just to keep it- but to give an incentive to vote, if a nation doesn't hold an election, then the Mona Lisa wouldn't produce culture or be an attration. The same ideas would apply to holding the Olympics and such, and later on these issues could be voted on in the UN once it is built.
KingSquanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2004, 04:01   #6
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 08:17
Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
I think that these would be better served as small,yet unique wonders. For instance, the Holy Grail should be only slightly important, but unique.
Old January 18, 2004, 11:43   #7
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 17:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
Interesting idea, but:

Olympics/World Cup/Gladiator Games is something that happens in less than a year, and it does absolutely not come by building it you know.

WTO is an organization, and is not something you build. Also, I doubt it will be closed down, and then be gone some turns, untill it it started again.

UN Secretary General is a job, and is not buildable. It also is a part of the UN(which can be built), and suits better as a diplomatic option like in SMAC, IMHO.
Ah, so we should only "build" things in Civ that are really "buildable" - like Women's Suffrage, Theory of Evolution, Knights Templar, Sun Tzu's Art of War, the United Nations, etc, etc?
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2004, 16:30   #8
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 08:17
Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
The UN is a building. Women's Sufferage was built up from male sufferage to universal sufferage. The Theory of Evolution and The Art of War were built up from a base of research. Knights Templar had their armor built.
Old January 18, 2004, 19:12   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
so we should only "build" things in Civ that are really "buildable" - like Women's Suffrage, Theory of Evolution, Knights Templar, Sun Tzu's Art of War, the United Nations, etc, etc
Honestly, we shouldn't be able to build any of those.

I suggest that we use them as "Research initiatives" that work like bonus wonders, etc.

or as UN initiatives for some of the more recent ones (such as the Olympics, etc.)