Old January 18, 2004, 05:04   #1
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Fake Vendetta
I was pondering the depths of diplomacy last night, and came upon a plan that can test the allegiance of the other 3 factions with the Hive and Drones.

Right after we get MMI, we declare a 'fake vendetta'. That is, we make believe that our factions hate each-other and build a lot of choppers without actually attacking.

The idea behind this is twofold:
1. It gives us an excuse to build a military; our soon-to-be enemies won't suspect that our copters are actually on the same team as the drone copters.
2. It allows us to test what the other factions think of us.

It might also create confusion in the enemy ranks as to why this is, and if we can attack the enemy when he is disoriented, we have a better chance of success.
Also might screw up their 'intelligence' files.

I won't propose this to The Drones myself because they'll think we're on a 'full vendetta', and I'll wait for Hive support to see what they think.
Old January 18, 2004, 11:13   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This is really sneaky and rather nice.

We would lose a substantial commerce income, and the Drones would lose more, but it could be worth it to freak everyone out.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 18, 2004, 16:28   #3
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Commerce will take a hit, but when two pacted factions start throwing up copters like nobody's business then what will people's immediate reactions be, other than 'defend'?

If we go off to war with the PUT and Roze, we're bound to lose a few 'copters. Since air units ignore zones of control, our only problem is moving drop units around - such attacks can be co-ordinated.

People will realise they've been had after about 2 or 3 years - but that's how long it takes to build an air force.
It's also a decent excuse as to why both factions have been sharing tech - probe fest!

"It's just so crazy it might work" as the saying goes.
With REAL vendetta between 2 other factions, the factions will presume that this is a REAL vendetta as well.
Old January 19, 2004, 05:05   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

A fake Vendetta -
It would be most amusing,
And perhaps worthwhile.

-Jam
Old January 19, 2004, 06:38   #5
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Still waiting to have my idea *****slapped by one of the more diplomatic people.
Old January 19, 2004, 15:53   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

OK....

Quote:
Enigma! That's naughty!
Old January 19, 2004, 21:43   #7
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I know. That's why it feels so fun to do.
Old January 19, 2004, 22:04   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
I know. That's why it feels so fun to do.
Your god admires you for being so bold.
Old January 20, 2004, 02:12   #9
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 10:20
I dunno...

I seriously doubt that other factions will actually express their feelings to the most powerful faction, and to the planetary governor.

If anything, such a vendetta will only make us look bad in the long run. Remember, if it's a fake one, we'll eventually have to say 'Just kidding!' If it's discovered that we were playing a trick, the conseqences could be dire, as we'll lose whatever amount of trust the other teams have in us.
Old January 20, 2004, 04:04   #10
Jamski
Deity

It won't matter though after we have PWND thier arses

-Jam
Old January 20, 2004, 04:42   #11
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

You can play it off as a diplomatic mishap.
(Something about us ripping off with the CBA)
So we go to war for a bit until an unnamed diplomat calms us down.

It's basically an excuse to A. Find out opinions and B. Build a military.
I think it might work...
Old January 21, 2004, 23:30   #12
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 06:20
I like the idea of building our military, but do we really want to spend all of the time and effort just to see what other factions think about us? True, it would help, but I would rather have a defensive force THEN build a military juggernaut.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 22, 2004, 04:38   #13
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

If you're the one doing the attacking you don't need a defensive force.
Old January 22, 2004, 23:44   #14
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 11:20
Our greatest concern, as always, is our relationship with the Drones.

Getting back into the game (so far I have not yet seen the latest save yet) I understand that the Pirates are going down and that that there is a hint of a CC/Drone vs. Hive alliance.

Do we want to enter a 'pretend' vendetta against the Drones?

The greatest threat to us is a Drone/CC alliance.

I believe we have acted properly in all respects to the Drones. I think we have given them no reason to move against us.

I think we should continue to honor our agreement with the Drones. Entering into a 'pretend' vendetta worries me into thinking it may give pretense to a real vendetta.

Although we should always keep an eye on the Drones to ensure that they continue to honor their agreement with us, I believe we should assume (until indicated otherwise) that they, like us, will not turn on thier Pact Partner).

If the Drones were to turn on us then they would have to know that no one would ever trust them (including CC) ever again.

Enetring into a 'pretend' vendetta not only sems dangerous but unproductive for both us and the Drones.

Mead

PS
I have been out of it for a little while, is there something I have missed?

Perhaps we should have entered the Pirate/Cycon war on behalf of the Pirates to see if that would have provoked the Drones to show themselves if they were beholden to the CyCons if they were, before the Pirates got weaker.
Old January 23, 2004, 10:59   #15
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 10:20
I have withhold my tongue till now but I would like to say that I agree with Mead. If something like this is seriously considered, I believe a formal poll should be posted. I really don't think the Hive with so many problem of its own now, needs to create another problem for itself.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 23, 2004, 18:06   #16
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 06:20
Things are indeed getting interesting on Planet.

Despite our own actions, the Drones are only looking out for themselves....that is a fact. If they think it's prudent to ally with the CyCon just so they get ahead and screw us over, I think that they would. Would we? That is something to debate about.

However, I do not want the Hive to get into a "Cold War" with the Drones Or the CyCon. The buildup of our military would be seen as future plans for conquest. I will agree with Comrade HongHu in that we should have a poll about this. This might become a problem for us and I would rather us NOT create a "fake vendetta".
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 24, 2004, 04:25   #17
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Great. LOTS of doubt about the allegience.
Well in that case there's only one thing to do.

Go on a SP binge, build lots of super copters. If the Drones are gonna be against us there's no point in fighting it. If they're not, then we are several SPs up!