Old January 24, 2004, 17:06   #31
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 11:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
These nmumbers don't look right to me considering that:

1. Republic's default support is 1 / 3 / 4.
2. Over the limit is 2X for Republic.
3. Corruption under Democracy is less thena Republic.

I've been montoring the last income from the additional corruption increasing throughout the Industrial era in my current game, my best estimate is that I'd be slightly better off under a Democracy, but not so good as to make the anarchy worthwhile. This is with an avg of 3.5 units per city with plans to increase gradully to 4, all Metros verying in size from 13 to 18 with 15 most common size, all Universitys, about 40% with Banks. I have the entire bottom half of the industrial era techs plus Communism and am just starting to reserach the Coporation.
Court Houses exist everywhere except the capital, Police Stations exist on the outer most cities.

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
One thing about Democracy:
If you have less then 4 units per town, or 6 units per city or 8 units per metropolis, you'll get lower unit upkeep in Republic compared to Democracy. Which means more money in Republic then in Democracy.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 17:18   #32
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 11:21
What's going on is that the AI is truely in love with the low unit support costs of Fascism and compeltely ignores the culture and pop loss penalties.

To a lessor degress, if the AI has almost all towns, they are in love with Feudalism and only switch out become of the increased costs of towns and Metros. (Combined with AI automaticly switching production to an Aquaduct on a size 6 town with the bread basket full.)

I'm going to have to look at the editor sections of both techs and govts to see if something can be done that doesn't make Communism too powerful as a side effect.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

Right now, I'm playtesting Communism with goldrush instead of poprush. It changes the dynamic of the game a bit but doesn't seem unbalance the game. The AI still prefers facism - which is beyond me. The culture creation penalty is too much of a liability in my book.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 19:00   #33
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:21
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

Can't do it so the question is moot.
maybe we can´t but firaxis can?
Your method equals wipe out
Fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 20:33   #34
Underseer
Warlord

Local Time: 10:21
Quote:
'Allow' us to be independent?
See? You Aussies and Cannucks are crazy for not rebelling against the British crown like we did. Free Canada! Down with the vile Redcoat Oppressors! *hoists protest signs*

Perhaps the French Canadian sepratists had the right idea after all.
Old January 25, 2004, 01:05   #35
Nisku
Settler

Local Time: 16:21
I'm probably going to get burnt at the stake for this by other Canadians but from what I read the people living in what would be Canada were apathetic or sympathetic towards the Americans. It was really the natives, the United Empire Loyalists and the british army that fought off the Americans.

Last edited by Nisku; January 25, 2004 at 01:36.
Nisku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2004, 09:11   #36
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:21
Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
These nmumbers don't look right to me considering that:

1. Republic's default support is 1 / 3 / 4.
2. Over the limit is 2X for Republic.
3. Corruption under Democracy is less thena Republic.
If you have 2 units per town (up to 6pop), you pay 2 gp per town (one unit free, one 2gp).
If you have 6 units per city (7-12pop), you pay 6 gp per city (three units free, other three 6gp).
If you have 8 units per metro (7-12pop), you pay 8 gp per city (four units free, other four 8gp).

Now, in Democracy, if having that same number of units (2 per town, 6 per city or 8 per metro), upkeep cost would be same for both Democracy and Republic.

Since in most cases, if playing peacefully you never have 6 of 8 units per your city (more like up to 4), upkeep costs in Republic are lower then in Democracy despite of higher upkeep per unit, since those free units do the trick.

Fact is that in Conquests, Repuiblic become weaker in early game (when you have mostly towns), but more powerful later, since your unkeep costs becomes lower then in original game due to high number of free units (depite higher cost per unit).

This makes Deomcracy weaker, since even in original game, although it had lower corruption and better workers, it didn't pay off to much due to high war warines.

Now, it has even higher upkeep cost then in Republic (exemp it having veeeery big armies.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote