View Poll Results: Why?
Fundamentalism is too controversial, what with those fundamentalist types springing up in America and overseas. 13 25.49%
It was too *$^@*$ powerful. Eight units free per base? No unhappiness?! Get out! 22 43.14%
They hate you. No, I mean you personally. If you're not careful they'll drive out to your house and finish the job! 10 19.61%
The Banana Gods stepped in and put a stop to it. 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18, 2004, 20:27   #1
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Why did they remove Fundamentalism from vanilla Civilization III?
It was like the best government in Civilization II, but I don't think it deserved to be removed.
Old January 18, 2004, 23:00   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I have no idea why, but given how the game works adding the ones they did in C3C shows we do not have room for them and surely not naother one.

Who can be bothered to use all the ones we have now in a given game? Even if you are religious, it makes little sens to change repeatedly.
Old January 19, 2004, 00:25   #3
Flip McWho
Warlord

Local Time: 04:21
Fundamentalism was only used at the end anyway. Well for me. I researched everything and then just changed to Fundamentalism to mop everybody up. I'm with vxma1 I have no clue why. But it probably was too powerful.
Old January 19, 2004, 05:03   #4
Antrine
Prince

Local Time: 16:21
What mattereth it now? When you can tailor make your own kind of government in the editor.
I'll send you elsewhere
Old January 19, 2004, 06:06   #5
mr Rura
Settler

the argument "it was too strong" is imo little pointless - if firaxis wanted to add it, they would change it to make it worse. i think theres many similar governments [communism, fascizm] and it's not needed...
Old January 19, 2004, 07:21   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

The ten free units per city thing might have been a little bit too powerful in Civ3, and not fit with the other Governments. Also they may well have decided that changing its effects for Civ3 was too problematic - can you imagine every luxury and happy/content face getting you a gold per city? And having a slow tech rate is not much of a deal - with enough units swarming you should be able to wrest a tech or two from your enemies, then whore it around to catch up. Or just steal the tech with all those tithes....

I think with Feudalism and especially Fascism in the game now, Fundamentalism could be revisited. However perhaps Fascism can be considered the Civ3 equivalent of Fundamentalism. After all what more would you do to Fundamentalism different to Fascism that boths fits the game model of Civ3 and doesn't add something so horribly powerful like the tithes system...?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 20, 2004, 05:12   #7
Daz
Prince

Well definately not because it was too powerful. If that was the case, why didn't they just make it a bit less powerful?

I mean, if its broken, you try to fix it.... right?
Old January 20, 2004, 05:52   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Perhaps they did by creating Fascism for C3C. Seems reasonable enough - resort to the classic governments for the first release of Civ and work on adjusting new ideas for a n add-on.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 20, 2004, 20:28   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Fundamentalism just doesn't have a niche with C3 government mechanics.
Old January 20, 2004, 22:38   #10
dworkin
Chieftain

It was just silly.

No unrest? Take a look at a modern theocracy. No unrest? Hahahahahaha!

Tithes? Again, those theocracies. They surely are wealthy and their citizens prosperous. Hahahahahahaha!

Big heap of units.
Well here they're on to something. But since IRL these huge armies are poorly trained, ill equipped, seldom paid and fed troops I don't see this as supported units in the Civ sense. Again Hahahahahahaha!

Face it, the rules were silly. I laughed at it when I first played Civ2, Ilaugh at it now. The CTP theocracy government was much more sensible and may of had a lot to do with Fundementalist being dropped.
Old January 20, 2004, 22:40   #11
dworkin
Chieftain

And the same can be said for the corruption effects for a democracy. I'm glad that's gone as well.
Old January 21, 2004, 00:11   #12
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
dworkin -> actually, the Catholic Church is THE wealthiest organisation in the world, and it's only extremist fundamentalist countries that have problems with unrest and military.

I find it unfortunate that science penalties are considered a standard for any theocratic governments...but I guess the best way to model a government is simply to look at such past governments, and that was typically the case.
Old January 21, 2004, 04:19   #13
Mad Bomber
King

It was way to controversial after Sept 11 and it got the axe shortly thereafter.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old January 21, 2004, 04:24   #14
Daz
Prince

well, again: if its broken, I say repair it. Fundamentalism was abused in the late game. Why not make it dissapear with electricity?
Old January 21, 2004, 08:55   #15
David Murray
Prince

Because it was Orientalist.

I have learned the error of my ways and I see now that it was merely reflective of an American bias against all things 'Islam'. So how come the West is the sum of all its parts but the Muslim world is all about Islam? Why does Islam equate to terror and fundamentalism when crazies like McVeigh and born again Christian lunatic Presidents don't characterize Christianity? Why are illiberal figures like the Pope idolized by the Western media? Why is non-proliferation good for Iran and Iraq but not Israel?

Fundamentalism wasn't just overpowered, it was stereotypical and grossly offensive. See Said, 'Covering Islam' or 'Orientalism' for a much more detailed study of this (largely American) phenomena.
Old January 21, 2004, 10:51   #16
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Fundy ain't in because of people like David Murray. Spoilsport.
Old January 21, 2004, 10:53   #17
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
It was way to controversial after Sept 11 and it got the axe shortly thereafter.
Sid was quoted as saying that they just couldn't make it work (balance) so they scrapped it. I think your version is closer to the truth.
Old January 21, 2004, 18:02   #18
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I remind you that we are not here to continue the OT wars.
Old January 21, 2004, 18:04   #19
Mr. President
Emperor

Having said that, I absolutely think it was too powerful in its previous form. Maybe adding something like in Alpha Centauri with a combat bonus, while removing some of the more overpowering advantages like massive unit support, would have helped.
Old January 24, 2004, 17:18   #20
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 19:21
Maybe ad a rank beyond elite to any fanatical governments? Fundamentalism, fascism...
Old January 24, 2004, 17:38   #21
Underseer
Warlord

Local Time: 10:21
Quote:
What a crock. The Puritans (excuse me, "practicioners of the Official State-Sanctioned Religion") have been trying to turn us into a theocracy since Day 1. If anything not allowing fundamentalist governments is too controversial.
Old January 24, 2004, 22:17   #22
Kuciwalker
Deity

So what? The point is, if adding it would cause fewer sales than not adding it, then they won't add it. No value judgements are being made; it's just business.
Old January 25, 2004, 05:56   #23
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Underseer

What a crock. The Puritans (excuse me, "practicioners of the Official State-Sanctioned Religion") have been trying to turn us into a theocracy since Day 1. If anything not allowing fundamentalist governments is too controversial.
And just a little point, a theocracy is different than a fundamentalist gov't. Ancient Egypt and biblical Isreal were theocracies, modern afghanistan is fundamentalist.
Old January 25, 2004, 09:48   #24
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:21
Too powerful, pointless government form.
Old January 25, 2004, 16:26   #25
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Mad Bomber, Fundamentalism was removed before 9/11 due to game balance issues. It was more or less "replaced" with Fascism in C3C, in the since they are both more or less all our war governments. The "Plant Nuke", "Poison Water Supply" "Destroy Building" spy options, were, on the other hand, removed for sensitivity reasons as the game was released late in 2001.
Old January 25, 2004, 16:28   #26
Underseer
Warlord

Quote:
And just a little point, a theocracy is different than a fundamentalist gov't. Ancient Egypt and biblical Isreal were theocracies, modern afghanistan is fundamentalist.
Yes. Fundamentalism is a way of looking at religion, theocracy is a form of government. I understand the difference. But even in the time of the founding fathers, a certain segment of certain relitions have been pushing for a theocracy and never quite got over the fact that we're not.
Old January 25, 2004, 16:50   #27
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:21
Quote:
crazies like McVeigh and born again Christian lunatic Presidents don't characterize Christianity?
McVeigh was an agnostic.

Slightly pointless, I know, but it's a pet peeve...
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old January 25, 2004, 22:51   #28
Underseer
Warlord

Quote:
McVeigh was an agnostic.

Slightly pointless, I know, but it's a pet peeve...
True, but he didn't exactly travel in secular circles, did he? Hence the confusion.
Old January 26, 2004, 02:55   #29
pauli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CiverDan
Mad Bomber, Fundamentalism was removed before 9/11 due to game balance issues. It was more or less "replaced" with Fascism in C3C, in the since they are both more or less all our war governments. The "Plant Nuke", "Poison Water Supply" "Destroy Building" spy options, were, on the other hand, removed for sensitivity reasons as the game was released late in 2001.
...and it's about time for them to put them back in.

i'd been really hoping they'd do so for c3c. oh well :/
Old January 28, 2004, 04:59   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 09:21
I think that's bogus. Those features should be put back in. True I never used them in civ2, so it's not big loss.