Old January 19, 2004, 01:51   #1
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:22
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Disaster contingency plan
We've pretty much settled on what Octavian X cut and pasted for our major political system (save for some minor details like what to name the senate or how many consuls we have),

but I am worried about something in there.
Never underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people, as the saying goes, and we cannot think ourselves above such problems.

Among us there may be the lazy, the ineffective, or the just plain dumb, who may go around interfering with the greater good of The Hive.
Kody's Hydra Head system overcame this to some degree, but with a democratic system on the verge of awakening, once again power will be given to those who do not justly deserve it.

What if, one day, we find ourselves swamped by people who have been spoon-fed inefficient doctrines from the past, and now swear that they are truth?
What if one day we are enveloped by those who would rather keep power without having to expend a joule of energy for it?
What if, some day, everything that we have worked for is destroyed from within by an unfortunate human element left over from Old Earth?

That day may be in a week, 7 weeks, a year, 7 years... but if we don't have the foresight to deal with it, it will catch us off guard and land us square on our asses, to leave us to wonder "What went wrong?"

Let us not allow the hard work of Hiverians like Kody to be undone by the ineptitude of some others.
We need a plan to attack and usurp these future threats -before- they become threats.
We need to uproot this potential problem before it becomes a real problem.

Gentlemen (and HongHu) I present to you a problem:
A Democratic society is mune to a stupid and lazy populous.
We have fell to such a system in the past.
How do we stop it from happening again?
Old January 19, 2004, 02:19   #2
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This will happen. I guarentee you. For my part, I have decided that I will simply ignore whatever politics there will be and try to focus on the game itself see if that will help.

For people here in the Hive love politics. They love to shout, to argue, to demand. They don't like to work, to give, to be asked. Yes there are a few of us who are the exceptions. But they are accused when they do not conform with the "people".

This has happened many times. The last time, I had agreed with Jamski and against the wills of many shaddow members, and forced the shaddow ministry to be shut down. And after a great sparkle of about half a turn, the people have had their desire, they've seen those who have initiatives fell, those who have worked scared away, and they are now satisfied, and they are now going back to their own business. The game itself, once again, was left unattended.

I hate to say this but when we had the shaddow ministry, at least the game got to be worked in a constant manner. Yes there wasn't great enthusiasms like everybody even who knows nothing about the game would come in the door and take a look. But we didn't have a period when I had to repeatedly shout and ask for opinions from "people" either.

I will not attempt to organize anything again since I know no sooner than a fairly regular and smooth mechnism is set up, it will be shot down by the "people". I will try and attemp to work in the frame that the "people" set, with or without help from the "people". One can always do his/her best, keep his/her hopes up, and his/her expectations down.

In other words, I will not try again to ask anybody to work. I will help within my capabilities. I will look at the turn if I have time, and play the turn if nobody else plays it, and contribute my opinions when needed. I have confidence there are many other people who can fill in the other roles if and when they like.

Grapefruit Garden