Old January 19, 2004, 16:03   #1
teukros
Settler

Local Time: 16:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Alternate interface graphics
Hi, I'm a longtime Alpha Centauri player (solitaire only) and this is my first post to this forum. I never had Alien Crossfire (didn't really like the premise) but a couple months ago I came across some pics which seemed to show a _very_ different interface from what I'm used to, e.g. in the Planetary Council meeting and the Vehicle Design shop. The following is a link to a current EBay auction (disclaimer: I'm not involved in the auction in any way) with the two pictures I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3072594655

So I bought the EA Laptop Collection (which included Alpha Centauri _and_ the "Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack", but did not come with any kind of Alien Crossfire documentation, not even a .PDF *fume*) and everything looks the same.

Are the two pictures in the auction I linked to screenshots from the Mac version? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Teukros
Old January 19, 2004, 16:09   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 11:23
That's certainly not any in-game graphic I've ever seen.

I can see the airframe was mislabeled "speeder".

Maybe the auctioneer grabbed some old in-development photos off the web?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 19, 2004, 16:21   #3
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 18:23
Ahhhhh. I haven`t seen anything like that in a long time.
These are indeed old screenshots from the early development (I can post a few if someone is interested). Those auctioneers are really reckless - that interface was abandoned obviously and they are trying to sell stuff with false informations- BUT it can be seen in the animation for the Command Nexus (if you watch it carefully).
Old January 19, 2004, 16:26   #4
teukros
Settler

Fascinating! And thanks for the prompt replies!

Nuts. I was looking forward to the "new" interface :-|
Old January 20, 2004, 03:57   #5
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Post pics please!
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 21, 2004, 15:30   #6
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

I`ll post in about 24 hours (know on which CD but not where that CD is now).
Old January 22, 2004, 15:58   #7
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

As I promised to Mad Monk here they are:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	alpha1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	62513  
Old January 22, 2004, 16:01   #8
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Another
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	alpha2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	62515  
Old January 22, 2004, 16:04   #9
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Even more
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	alpha3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	62517  
Old January 22, 2004, 16:07   #10
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Final one
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	alpha4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	62518  
Old January 22, 2004, 16:12   #11
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

You might notice that initial listing of weapons/modules is pretty much different than the one we all know. Also we can see that weapons have forgotten energy/projectile ability designated.
I wonder whose HQ looks like that [cough Morgan cough]
No idea what the artworks were supposed to be. Probably expelled ideas.
Old January 22, 2004, 17:36   #12
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

IIRC there first were gonna be different interfaces for each faction. A pity they abandoned the idea.
Old January 22, 2004, 22:12   #13
#endgame
ACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:23
Local Date: November 3, 2010
*drools over datalinks pic*

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html
Old January 23, 2004, 04:59   #14
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Thanks!

The datalinks pic reminds me a lot of the MoO2 data interface -- so much green.

From the drawing, I guess they were going to have more "settler"-like formers initially?
Old January 23, 2004, 15:15   #15
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Unfortunately, I don`t have screenshot whic actual game graphics in the begining - not only I cannot tell what is what, but all graphics is weird - inteface looks old with circular map shower in the center with some pretty hmm SQUARE teritory showing - solar plants look strange, bases look generic strange and there is something strange which looks like infantry with a shovel - but I cannot remember it exactly. Perhaps formers should have looked like colonists with shovel as Mad Monk assumed?
Old January 23, 2004, 17:36   #16
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 12:23
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Seeing these pictures (and others in various places), a big disappointment for me is the abandonment of the supercool Alpha Centauri font and the use instead of boring generic lifeless soulless Arial blegh.
Surely Alpha Centauri could have been kept for menus, lists, captions, and such?
Old January 24, 2004, 02:29   #17
The Mad Monk
Emperor

It would have been a nice bit of added flavor.
Old January 25, 2004, 00:39   #18
Col
Settler

I didn't know about the proposed different interfaces for each faction (individual sounds would have been nice too!). It might seem a very minor cosmetic point in the grand scheme of things, but if anyone here has played Birth of the Federation you'll know what an effect it has on atmosphere. BOTF was a very flawed game but it oozed authenticity mainly due to really 'feeling' like the hub of the warlike Klingon empire, or the clean bland Federation in fonts/graphics/voices etc.
It seems an even greater shame considering what fantastic characters were created for the game - the best and most complex in any computer game ever probably, I would have loved to get even further into their psyches!
Old January 25, 2004, 14:29   #19
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Oh I played ST:BOF! It is like SMAC - great even with some flaws. It was not the interface that appeals me to it - but excellent music and quotes (opening and ending only). It really gives spirit to the game. You just know when you are playing arrogant Romulans or warlike Klingons, fascist Cardassians, greedy Ferengis or boring Federation. And music runs through your head for days... That is one great game, but seems everyone has forgotten it. Luckly this is not like with SMAC - we have Apolyton.