Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 20, 2004, 13:18   #121
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 11:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo

Iowa is the ass of the country. It's the most boring place ever created. Y'all are even worse than Oklahomans.
HA!

Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Idaho make Iowa appear like an urbanized state.

Not to mention that the Quad Cities of eastern Iowa and western Illinois has a strong, local gay community.
Old January 20, 2004, 13:23   #122
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Gay people can be quite boring. Exhibit A: well, I don't think I need to point him out.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 20, 2004, 13:23   #123
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Gay people can be quite boring. Exhibit A: well, I don't think I need to point him out.
You're not very good at trolling, are you?
Old January 20, 2004, 13:25   #124
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don't know, but you sure are taking the bait.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 20, 2004, 13:26   #125
MrFun
Emperor

DOH!!
Old January 20, 2004, 13:33   #126
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
I don't know, but you sure are taking the bait.
he's the master of it
Old January 20, 2004, 13:47   #127
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Idaho
I've lived in all of these states, and I assure you that they are only boring, if you are a boring person.
Old January 20, 2004, 13:53   #128
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:23
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Did anyone see Howard Dean go spastic?
Old January 20, 2004, 13:56   #129
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 12:23
http://www.drudgereport.com/dean.mp3
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 20, 2004, 14:00   #130
Ned
King

Local Time: 08:23
Did anyone notice Howard Dean's apoplectic "speech" to his followers last night? Simply unbelievable!

One of the commentators last night said that Howard Dean may be in trouble financially as well. Apparently most of the contributors from his Internet campaign have reached the maximum contribution of $2000 and that if he is going to raise more money he needs to broaden his base. This results in Iowa are not going to help.

Right now to me this looks like a real horse race between Kerry, Edwards and Dean. I expect that Clark will not do well in New Hampshire and will be forced to withdraw very soon.
Old January 20, 2004, 14:02   #131
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Oh dear. I think he's finished as a candidate, the only thing that could save him is his war chest.

I wonder if the initial Dean surge was largely due to the fact that people weren't looking closely at the candidates and opinion was following divisions between the really committed democrats. Less activist democrats perhaps don't want anything to do with him.

Then again I suppose the only way to really gauge what happened is to have been in Iowa.

Odd that Gephardt did so badly though. He's a good guy and a competent politician.
Old January 20, 2004, 14:28   #132
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Why exactly is primary order the way it is? Why Iowa and New Hampshire instead of California and New York?
New Hampshire held its primary early when most other states did not use primaries to select delegates. Many had their delegates chosen by national party committee members, who themselves were selected well before the presidential campaign. Conventions were thus dominated by professional pols, elected officials and party machine operatives. In 1968 this gave Humphrey the Dem nomination, despite not having run in the primaries. After 1968 party rules were changed, making it very difficult for states to qualify if they didnt hold a primary or an open caucus like Iowa's. NH already was first in the nation, and has repeatedly threatened political revenge against the party national commitees if they allow another state to go first. Iowa managed to avoid that, since they already had an earlier caucas that no one ever paid attention to, until Carter won it in 1976. Since then Iowa has invoked the same privilege as NH, and the national parties dont have the cojones to challenge NH and Iowa.
Old January 20, 2004, 16:21   #133
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 10:23
he sounds like a wrestler

JOn Miller
Old January 20, 2004, 16:23   #134
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Interesting, thanks lotm.
-Bokonon
Old January 20, 2004, 18:27   #135
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

California also has 351 delegates. It seems better to have a bit of a pace at the beginning.
Old January 20, 2004, 18:34   #136
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Oh dear. I think he's finished as a candidate, the only thing that could save him is his war chest.
Iowa is a terrible place to guess candidates, becuase it is grossly unrepresentative of the nation. Even NH is, but more people vote there, so you get a better sample-and people don;t argue, but go, vote and leave.

Dean still has a good chance, but he has to retailor his message and pound on his experience as governor, not simply anti-war, becuase sadly, most voters have "moved on". He has to show he is a good manager of domestic issues.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 20, 2004, 19:05   #137
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
http://www.drudgereport.com/dean.mp3
grrrr, I already posted this in this thread....

(anybody know where I can see the video online?)
Old January 20, 2004, 20:53   #138
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Quote:
Still Bush I is infinitely preferable to that sag faced harpy of a wife of his.
Barbara Bush got her gray hair while she was watching and caring for one of her children that died of leukemia (sp?). Of course, I'm sure you're thrilled that the world was saved from another Bush... kill 'em while they're young, huh?
It is also said the George W. who was between 10 to 12 at the time stay home and help with household chores instead of playing with his friends and was very upset when he lost his little Sister I believed.
Old January 20, 2004, 21:19   #139
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 02:23
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

HA!

Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Idaho make Iowa appear like an urbanized state.

Not to mention that the Quad Cities of eastern Iowa and western Illinois has a strong, local gay community.
Iowa rots

Minnesota PWNS!!!!!11
Old January 20, 2004, 21:42   #140
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Iowa is the ass of the country. It's the most boring place ever created. Y'all are even worse than Oklahomans.
No Louisiana is far worse than Iowa OR Oklahoma. In Louisiana pigs aren't food, their a form of transportation.

Kinda sad, Oklahoma lost the Sugar Bowl, but at least they were the Texas state champions after beating all the teams in Texas this year.
Old January 20, 2004, 21:53   #141
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

The ass-state debate is useless.

Everyone knows the real ass is Texas.

Look! It's even down at the bottom! That would make a state like New York the brain.

I guess Arkansas would be the kidney or something, I dunno.
Old January 20, 2004, 23:55   #142
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'd agree except that Texas has Austin (and we lost to OU only because of that damn fool Mack Brown). Like Louisiana has New Orleans. Oklahoma and Iowa are entirely crap states.

Getting back to the thread, here's an interesting perspective on Dean's future possibilities (the idea is that Dean's organization is relatively superficial, which wasn't enough to win the Iowa caucus, but is more than enough to win a primary):
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/1/20/6477/49533
-Bokonon
Old January 21, 2004, 01:42   #143
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
And you base that on... ?
John, when did che need facts?!

Quote:
I'd agree except that Texas has Austin
Austin... the ass of Texas . Why didn't you say a real Texas city like San Antonio, Houston, or Dallas .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 21, 2004, 14:05   #144
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I saw an interesting commentary. If Dean gets damaged by the relatively weak criticism of Gephart, how could he stand up to whatever Karl Rove has planned.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 21, 2004, 14:18   #145
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
That would make a state like New York the brain.
Dirigo
Old January 21, 2004, 15:05   #146
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

No Louisiana is far worse than Iowa OR Oklahoma.
Plus, if you look at the Mississippi as the colon of the U.S., the Louisiana must be the rectum, and New Orleans the *ssh*l*.

I use that same metaphor for the St. Johns River, Florida, and Jacksonville.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 21, 2004, 15:14   #147
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Speaking of Dean, I haven't commented yet. Dean is no longer my top candidate for the nomination. What killed me was Dean's post-Iowa speech. Dean looked like a guy hopped up on crystal meth. It literally scared me. Dean's message is good, but he's a terrible candidate. In addition, the Repuke corporate media would have such an easy time destroying Dean before a vote was cast. If some people think Gore was mistreated by the media in 2000 (some dopes still believe Gore said "I invented the internet"), the coverage on Dean would be a massacre.

oh BTW, the below picture doesn't come close to what Dean looked like in the heat of that post-Iowa speech.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	scarydean.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	62449  
Old January 21, 2004, 15:20   #148
Ned
King

Local Time: 08:23
Sava, I heard a poll this morning (Wednesday) that Dean had dropped to single digits in New Hampshire and Kerry was now polling in the 30s.
Old January 21, 2004, 15:24   #149
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Sava, I heard a poll this morning (Wednesday) that Dean had dropped to single digits in New Hampshire and Kerry was now polling in the 30s.
I believe it... this whole "front runner" crap was created by the meida... I'm glad to see the media was shot down. Unfortunately, all the dumbass political talking heads aren't about to admit they were full of ****.
Old January 21, 2004, 15:25   #150
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Dean's message is good, but he's a terrible candidate.
you just realized that?