View Poll Results: Where should my $70 go to?
Buy Neverwinter Nights + Expansion 5 17.86%
Buy Morrowind 7 25.00%
Buy Alcohol 10 35.71%
Buy Bananas 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21, 2004, 00:24   #31
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I can't speak for NWN as I don't have it but MW really is pretty good, all in all.
I think there's a gold version out that includes both expansions - at about $50 Aus IIRC.

Graphically it isn't that great by 2003 FPS standards but there are a number of user-made mods to enhance terrain/NPC graphics.
It's strictly single-player solo although there are a few "companion" type mods around.
Its big strength is its sheer size - when I first started I spent something like 4-5 hours just puttering around the starting port and wandering up to Pelagiad. It wasn't until that point that I realised I'd only covered about 1% of the map.

Oh and MW has a thieves guild ...

As has been pointed out though, you really do need a good machine to run it on and you probably want to use the no-cd crack too.
Old January 21, 2004, 00:28   #32
Space05us
King

Local Time: 04:25
Quote:
Oh and MW has a thieves guild ...
sure but they're only good for one thing, target practice.
Old January 21, 2004, 03:44   #33
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If you have a nice machine (1 year old or younger), go Morrowind. Probably the best RPG ever made, for the sheer size of its world, for the impressive feeling of immersion, for the sheer freedom that is allowed (and don't believe Jamski: you do have directions - you're just free not to follow them )

I found NWN very dull, and combat very slow. Now, maybe the expansions and fanbase has made it good. But overall, the use of D&D dumb rules is a disservice to a game that has such a high potential.
Old January 21, 2004, 04:39   #34
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:25
Quote:
the use of D&D dumb rules is a disservice to a game that has such a high potential.
*shock* *horror* I the dumb D&D rules *shock* *stunned*

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:24   #35
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 09:25
It's pretty obvious that you should buy Big Rigs: Over the Top Racing, Skanky.

Then use the remaining $50 to invest in offshore Russian dev-houses.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:32   #36
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Isn't it Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing? Or was that a silly pun

My brother always plays Morrowind. I have to say at my couple of attmepts, I found the story was boring and didn't do much, the plot was not immersive, and many bits of it (jumping to go up in that characteristic) seemed boring and repetative. Sure, the graphics was good, the map was huge, there was an awful lot of detail and there was masses of behind the scenes info; but imagine Baldur's Gate, where it takes about 10 times as long to get to the mines, but that's the whole game. Its coherant, it makes sense, but it moves so slowly. At least, that's how it seemed to me Played it for 2 or 3 hours each time and just found it impossible to get into. While I look for long term playability in a game, if it makes me bored for the entire first couple of hours I'm not going to sit there for days to see if it gets better.

Never played NVN. Since I'm more of a single player/party type RPG person (from Phantasy Star to BGII) I usually stick to those.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 21, 2004, 05:46   #37
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 09:25
I'm sorry Droogie, I flubbed the title. You're winner.
Old January 21, 2004, 06:30   #38
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
*shock* *horror* I the dumb D&D rules *shock* *stunned*
I played D&D only after having played pen and paper Shadowrun. I felt like I fell from a 100 stories building. Shadowrun has tons of modifiers, and the way you make your char progress will seriously affect how you fare in game. There are tons of different skills and specialization levels, and basically an immense room to do whatever you want with your char.
OTOH, in D&D, no matter what your character is, you still need some luck with dice. Everything is reduced to a boring 20 faces dice, and even a super duper mega strong character will fail miserably if you throw a 5 or so

Besides, the character's evolution is strongly tied with its character class. I way prefer the openness that any real RPG should strive for. Morrowind, for instance
Old January 21, 2004, 06:46   #39
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 00:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I played D&D only after having played pen and paper Shadowrun.
Shadowrun isn't bad, but the combat system is really funky (rolling a 6 and a 7 is exactly the same). Cyberpunk is better, even though it has no magic.
Old January 21, 2004, 07:18   #40
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Shadowrun was an incredibly addictive SNES game. As for pen and paper, I have absolutely no idea

Old January 21, 2004, 07:19   #41
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Marid Audran
I'm sorry Droogie, I flubbed the title. You're winner.

Old January 21, 2004, 07:54   #42
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:25
My machine is fairly modern, so that isn't a concern.
And not to fear, I'll be buying a considerable amount of alcohol regardless.
Old January 21, 2004, 08:10   #43
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
My machine is fairly modern, so that isn't a concern.
And not to fear, I'll be buying a considerable amount of alcohol regardless.
Likewise

Would anyone happen to know where I can buy pure grain spirit? Like the strong stuff that they put into malt whiskey to make blends, or the stuff they add flavours to to make gin. I need some for a batch of liquers I want to make

Old January 21, 2004, 08:51   #44
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Shadowrun isn't bad, but the combat system is really funky (rolling a 6 and a 7 is exactly the same).
And for a reason: when you throw a 6, you throw the die again. So, you're bound to throw at least a 1. I.e: a 6 automatically means at least a 7.
What I loved In Shadowrun was that you could create really specialized characters, that could have monster successes, without your luck influencing the results too much: a poor shooter had serious chances to fumble a shot; an excellent shooter had virtually no chance to fumble (except very, very bad luck).
Old January 21, 2004, 08:57   #45
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

It seems a decent system, but nevertheless it isn't a game I am potentially buying.
Old January 21, 2004, 09:34   #46
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Would anyone happen to know where I can buy pure grain spirit?
Isn't that basically unflavored Wodka?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 21, 2004, 09:35   #47
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
It seems a decent system, but nevertheless it isn't a game I am potentially buying.
Indeed, unless you have several friends with a high interest in a pen and paper RPG, Shadowrun would be a waste of money. But otherwise, Shadowrun is by far the best of the (admittedly few) p&p RPGs I tried
Old January 21, 2004, 09:46   #48
Skanky Burns

I run into problems at the "several friends" part of the requirements.
Old January 21, 2004, 09:47   #49
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Isn't that basically unflavored Wodka?
Almost. It's bascially a very strong, unflavoured, pure grain vodka. Typically about 60-65% is what I want, but I usually settle for grain vodka that's about 40%, since I have no idea where to find pure grain spirit.

Old January 21, 2004, 09:49   #50
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 17:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Would anyone happen to know where I can buy pure grain spirit? Like the strong stuff that they put into malt whiskey to make blends, or the stuff they add flavours to to make gin. I need some for a batch of liquers I want to make
Whereabouts are you/would you be willing to travel to get hold of it? I know a man in Newcastle who could knock you up a nice batch of poteen for the right price, but it's probably too far away.
Old January 21, 2004, 09:53   #51
Drogue
staff

It probably is. And Poteen can contain almost anything. I'm just looking for the stuff that is commonly bought to add to malt whiskey by blenders, or to make gin with (before adding the water) or for many other uses.