Old January 24, 2004, 15:27   #31
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well I can either keep the old factions or change them.
But if I keep the old Gaians, not everyone can start with CentEco.

Aliens -MUST- be stripped of their Ogre and Extra Pod, else it's highly unbalancing.

Well, I call the Gaians... Original -OR- Rectanked.
All players start out with a scout patrol and colony pod - to do with what they wish until they win (or not).

I don't see what the beef with the infinite reloads before you get off your island rule is...
What can you explore? All you'll fight are those Worms, and they're easily owned anyway (except by FM Wealthers Muhahaha)
Old January 26, 2004, 04:16   #32
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 11:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
As far as the faction modifications you're talking about go, AFAIK, they only have to be made by the CMN on their system while they are creating the game (it would be worth a test though to make sure as I am not certain about that).

As to giving the Gaians 1 free Recycler (at the HQ) to balance giving the CentEcol to everyone else - I'm not sure that that really makes up for them having at least 1 fewer tech than all the others; why not give them an additional tech (like Biogen, if you want). Also, you would need to find something to give to the Cult to balance the dilution of their CentEcol tech too.

I'm not a big fan of reloading in general - I think that the way you prepare for and deal with bad luck is a part of the game too, and the infinite reload thing you're proposing is certainly about the opposite of that philosophy . (Its also a lot of work, and if it were allowed, it would therefore be necessary to do it or else be at a disadvantage - just like the Stockpile Energy thing.)

If you mine more that 1 or 2 of those corner plots, you're gonna get lots of pops (I got plenty even playing as Green Dee) and a lot of the pops are gonna destroy the mines (there are also NL Spore launchers taking pot shots at your terraforming too). Most likely, people are going to build the mines and they will all be getting plenty of pops, but not all the same amount of them, because the slate of game choices they've made, there might be someone in FM, someone Green, others with fewer mines, etc. IMhO, all this stuff is part of the game - there is something you can do in the game to deal with any of the bad things if you want to pay the appropriate cost (i.e. don't have so much ecodamage, go Green, have lots of formers, research Polymorphic and have some artie, etc.), so none of those bummers are completely random or totally undeserved.
Old January 26, 2004, 07:30   #33
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

But the possibility of having my 2nd mine nerfed while I'm aiming for the ME?

I've played it through, and there's a 10% chance.
I can guarantee that the game will be no fun for he who gets the raw end of this deal!
BTW what the heck is so bad about reload? Nothing to explore and hardly anything to fight!

It's MY game and Reloads until someone leaves their island are allowed. After someone leaves their island (look out for conspicuous land raises) then war is on and reloads are off!
True this gives lots of leeway to Free Marketeers. But as for the many mines issue, I'll bet EVERYONE has 2 mines within 12 years, and as such there will be some unlucky people that get nerfed.

SMAC is about strategy, not chance. I won't let an excellent scenario like this turn into a game of monopoly!

ChaDawn? Who plays Fungus Boy any more?

Okay, here's a balancing idea:
In addition to the techs we have at the start of the game by default, we may also pick ONE (1) additional starting tech for which we have the prereqs, or TWO (2) additional starting techs for the Uni.

That seems fair to me, while it may benefit Mim players much more than Gaian players, it sounds like a good idea.
Old January 26, 2004, 12:39   #34
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:25
Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
As to giving the Gaians 1 free Recycler (at the HQ) to balance giving the CentEcol to everyone else - I'm not sure that that really makes up for them having at least 1 fewer tech than all the others
As a tech only costs 2 labs at the start of the game, a recycling tanks is much more worthwhile than having one less tech than the rest. That's the reason I'd find giving the Gaians a rec tanks an unbalancing faction modification and why I would therefore choose not to join the game.
Old January 26, 2004, 13:17   #35
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Haha yep, Here's someone else who sees my dastardly plans.
Your insight is admirable, Maniac. Well done.
Old January 27, 2004, 16:20   #36
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Okay - so here's the deal:
We play on the map I provided
All factions start with 1 scout and 1 pod.
In addition, santiago gets a rover, and Chadawn gets a MW.

The following rules are in place:
ANY victory allowed
Do or Die
There are no unity pods available on this map
There are no AI factions

All factions get a free extra tech choice at game start.
The University of Planet gets two tech choices
Contact me a priori game start about this.

Bug exploits:
No altering base workers via F4 screen
No multiple drops
After any two factions have made contact, no reloads.
(Before this point reload away)
Other stuff, like workshop upgrades, quick-switching, stockpile... are considered wholly within a faction and thus allowed.

The WP and The Empath guild are in the game; I suggest either taking them or making friends quickly with whomever takes them

The map is custom made to give lots of resources (once you lif the damn fungus!).
These rules are established.
I choose the faction: Gaia's Stepdaughers.
People, sign your names up - this small map experience is unlike any ever before!
Old January 27, 2004, 17:59   #37
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:25
I still like the university

I also figure that whoever gets the WP better be real careful about raising land immediately -- Their neighbors may have invested a similar number of minerals into impact rovers LOL
Old January 27, 2004, 21:30   #38
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Or has capped a bunch of MWs. They'd work a little better.
NOTICE: NO DEMON BOIL BUG.
I was thinking the same thing, flubber. You raise land and then there's mobs after you.

I'm placing the Scenario here.
We all edit it, putting a pod and scout where we want.
Whomever gets it next, puts himself next on the turn order.

1. Second Chance - Gaians played by Enigma_Nova
2. (no custom name) - University played by Flubber
Old January 30, 2004, 04:30   #39
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

*sigh*

So It's just the 2 of us, flubber?