Old January 20, 2004, 13:50   #1
Dactyl
Warlord

Local Time: 16:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civ as subscription
We've had Civ3, followed by PTW, and now C3C, with its various patches. There are also rumors, apparently well-founded, that Civ4 is being developed. It all leaves me wondering why Firaxis doesn't just go to a subscription model for Civilization. As far as I'm concerned, with the annual expansions, they've already set up a de facto subscription. Why not just call it what it is? They could sell the basic game for $40-$50 and then ongoing annual subscriptions for $20-$25. With the subscription you would get periodic updates, expansions and patches. It seems like a more logical model to me, and I'm sure it's occurred to the folks at Firaxis. Is there a reason why they have not chosen to follow such a model?
Old January 20, 2004, 14:48   #2
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 11:26
Consumer backlash would be huge if they did this. I still occasionally fire up Civ2 and play a scenario. I would hate to have to keep paying for 7+ years for a game I rarely but occassionly play. Also there is the issue of companies dying or just plain abandoning a game like Civ2. If there's noone around to pay when the subscription runs out, you're out of luck.

For the company itself, the cost of setting up the subscription service would be significant. The added cost would have to be offset with more revenue from customers. In the meantime, there are plenty of other games out there that would not be burdened with these added expenses to recover. Such games would be cheaper and without the burden of perpetual subscription costs.

One more factor to consider is marketing feedback and game improvement. If everyone gets a new game when it comes out, there is little incentive for the company to improve it more than the bare minimum. Without sales directly linked to an upgrade, game developers won't know what makes a game hot and what turns people off.

So no, I don't think it'll happen any time soon.
Old January 20, 2004, 14:53   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:26
Civ4 is not a rumor any more. They have acknowledge it is being develped and called for input.
Old January 20, 2004, 15:18   #4
BigDork
Prince

While I'm sure at least some of the people here would dish out the cash for a subscription I doubt the majority of the people would. There are a lot of people who aren't die-hard Civ freaks and the idea of a subscription will completely turn them off. Also anyone who has never played before but would like to try it out would be less likely to do so if there was a subscription.

I bet they made enough money how things are and that it won't change too much. I mean heck, if they lost a whole bunch of money on Civ3 and it's expansions why would they be making Civ4?

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old January 20, 2004, 16:01   #5
Antrine
Prince

I think there is a viable marketing model that somebody smart will take advantage of. However, who and when?

DEVELOP A UNIVERSAL GAME EDITOR flavored Civ model or another.

Sell 100 US dollars with built-in sub-licensing.
Establish easy to follow criteria, such as mininum hours of play-testing etc.

Include graphics generator and easy change default graphics of all kinds.

Put each MOD on market for $9.95 with some kind of split.
Calmly proceed to sell hundreds of different mods as stand-alone games.

Let them age in the market a few months, collect them into like batches and resell 3-5 of these stand-alones for same price $9.95.

Excepting the 'hot ones' (mods as stand-alone games) feed the name of the modder as new sub-brand and produce some more.

Many people get richer but root company who develops, supports and sub-licienses the Universal Game Editor will make the most for a decade.

For more details on this idea contact me anytime.

Antrine
I'll send you elsewhere
Old January 20, 2004, 16:40   #6
ratster
Settler

Quote:
Civ4 is not a rumor any more. They have acknowledge it is being develped and called for input.
Who is they, and where did you come by this information(link please)?
Old January 20, 2004, 18:23   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 18:26
Check future Civ forum
Old January 20, 2004, 18:30   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:26
Quote:
Originally posted by ratster

Who is they, and where did you come by this information(link please)?
Like Gramphos said. It has been offically acknowledged in many mags and boards by Firaxis officals.
That is just the stuff that can be mentionwd publicly.

So feel sure that it is being done, that does not mean the wheels can't come off down the road. I think we all remember the Dino game.