Old February 29, 2004, 05:17   #31
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 18:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yes, the game is expensive, but I don't think it's overpriced: They have sold so many that there aren't any left here in France. They were supposed to receive some more by the end of this week so hopefully I'll get my copy next week (so I had to play the demo when I had time to play and will receive the full game when I no longer have time to play...).
And compare the price to civ3: Apparently, to get a decent game, you need civ3 + PtW + C3C, which may cost more than 60$.

Is there any race as peculiar as Ermor in the full game? They are very powerful (you need priests to fight them) and different from other races against which brute force is often enough. R'lyeh and its Illithids? I don't play against these much since they are waterborrne.
Old February 29, 2004, 16:16   #32
Sandman
King

Local Time: 17:27
Mictlan are pretty strange. They need to sacrifice blood slaves to increase their dominion, and they can levy slave troops from their provinces. They also have a huge variety of sacred troops.

They seem to be easy to beat on the demo, unlike Ermor.
Old March 1, 2004, 01:47   #33
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by LDiCesare
And compare the price to civ3: Apparently, to get a decent game, you need civ3 + PtW + C3C, which may cost more than 60$.
My take? Civ 3 is a decent game. Most of the distractors are experienced players who are just bitter about how little new stuff is in the game.

Therefore, I still maintain $60 for a game is outrageous.
Old March 1, 2004, 20:17   #34
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

I have heard only good about this game. downloaded the demo a few days ago but not yet have had chance to try it out.

LDiCesare: according to the legend they don't sell this game in stores, you have to order it directly from the publisher. try their net site.
Old March 2, 2004, 15:28   #35
quantum_mechani
Alpha Centauri Democracy GamePtWDG Legoland
Prince

Local Time: 07:27
I really don't know where everyone is getting the $60 price from, I checked the Shrapnel Games site and it showed as $50 - I think that incudes shipping too. That aside, I have not heard of anyone with the full game being dissapointed, or saying they had been cheated.

As for the PBEM, I am just waiting for Japher to resend his pretender (I lost the first one).
Old March 2, 2004, 17:57   #36
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Dominions II got a 90(of 100) rating in the february issue of leading finnish game magazine Pelit.
it was also awarded a "Pelit Recomends"-sign, that is given only to really good games.

so looks Good.
Old March 3, 2004, 00:04   #37
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Pah. I don't believe in them game rags anymore. Not after I got suckered into buying Starfleet Command.
Old March 5, 2004, 15:38   #38
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Quote:
LDiCesare: according to the legend they don't sell this game in stores, you have to order it directly from the publisher. try their net site.
I know. I paid 54 euros to get it, including shipping. This is still huge, and given the $ price now probably over 60$. I still would like to pay for it.

UR: Civ3 does lack basic features like sentry which was in civ1. I don't care they put good graphics, the gameplay is not as good as games that are way older, and I'm not talking Civ2. Still, I agree that the price of the game is huge. The problem is they don't sell it at stores, which means they have to have a big price to get some money as they'll sell less. Still, figuring how much time I'll spend playing it vs. the game price makes it worth buying and cheaper than civ3 on a per hour basis.
Old March 17, 2004, 00:43   #39
EternalSpearman
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 16:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Pah. I don't believe in them game rags anymore. Not after I got suckered into buying Starfleet Command.
Starfleet Command, and even more it's sequels, Starfleet Command II: Empires at War and Starfleet Command II: Orion Pirates, are, in my opinion, great at what they do. Simulate Star Trek themed battles.

Starfleet Command includes every detail in Star Trek battle simulation. Tractor beams. Phasers. Photon torpedoes. Anything else you could think of, Star Trek battle-oriented.

Although I do not claim Starfleet Command to be the best game ever, I do think it worth it's price.

Sorry about being a bit off-topic. Anyway, Dominions II is certainly the best fantasy strategy game I have played, with it's extreme detail and complexity, yet not overreaching in micro-management. To conclude, I think that both Starfleet Command and Dominions II more than worth their price.