Old January 20, 2004, 17:31   #1
Gobi Bear
BreakAway Games

Local Time: 16:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Barbarian Week on the History Channel
For those who get the History Channel, tonight's programming is especially appropriate for fans of the Fall of Rome and Middle Ages conquests.

The following is the programming (Eastern time):

7 pm: Barbarians (Vikings)
8 pm: Barbarians (Goths)
9 pm: Barbarians (Huns & Mongols)

I watched the Viking and Goth episodes last night. Nothing spectacular, but certainly interesting enough to get you in the mood for those Conquests!
Old January 20, 2004, 18:42   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:27
how bold, to counter the state of the union with Huns and mongols

thanks for the tip, I will try to tune in.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2004, 05:08   #3
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 12:27
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
how bold, to counter the state of the union with Huns and mongols

thanks for the tip, I will try to tune in.
How do you counter a Barbarian? With a horde of barbarians! Great idea for the History Chanel; watching Attila, Aleric, Temjun & Tammerlane was much more enjoyable than the warmonger in the White House tell me how important education is while cutting public educations funds to give to rich kids in private schools.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 16:34   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I watched these shows.

I kept telling my fiancee that Barbarians don;t really act like that... they mostly just wander around and threaten Workers.

Seriously, the shows were interesting, and worth watching when they are on again.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 17:01   #5
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
How do you counter a Barbarian? With a horde of barbarians! Great idea for the History Chanel; watching Attila, Aleric, Temjun & Tammerlane was much more enjoyable than the warmonger in the White House tell me how important education is while cutting public educations funds to give to rich kids in private schools.
That's odd. I was going to comment that we got the best of both worlds watching the State of the Union: a civilized President making rational, intelligent arguments followed by a collection of left-wing barbarians seeking to raid our pocketbook and undermine our security.

(This really belongs in the OT forum, which I will never set foot in.)
Tall Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 17:05   #6
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:27
They also had a show following one of the 'Barb' episodes called something like, "Axes Swords and Knives". That was pretty cool too. Watching the swordsmith create a sword from ironore gave me a whole new appreciation for what Iron Working does for my civ!!!!

Steven
Old January 24, 2004, 10:57   #7
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 17:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Tall Stranger

That's odd. I was going to comment that we got the best of both worlds watching the State of the Union: a civilized President making rational, intelligent arguments followed by a collection of left-wing barbarians seeking to raid our pocketbook and undermine our security.

(This really belongs in the OT forum, which I will never set foot in.)
Good Lord, the flag by your name must be wrong. For a moment I almost thought you were calling George Bush civilised!

Actually I won't be too disrespectful, because I write subtitles for a living and therefore have been watching a clip of his speech today. I was very impressed that he managed to get all the way through the phrase "weapons of mass destruction programme-related activities", and not only that but maintain the closest thing he can to a straight face...

Off topic? me? never. I like the sound of the documentaries though - if only I could watch that channel.
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 02:57   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 09:27
today is sunday. They repeated several of them.

they had 4 one hour shows. I watched the Vikings, the Goths (visigoths), the Mongols, and they wrapped up with the Huns.

4 hours of barbarians!!

I was kind of bored by the end. Although the last one might have been the most interesting, but I was posting here. But of the ones I really payed attention to, the goths was the most interesting one. That may be because I've already seen other shows on the Vikings and Mongols. They get lots of attention. But it was nice to see a show on the less glamorous barbarians like the huns and goths.
Old January 26, 2004, 04:30   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have caught the Huns and Mongols. I prefered the Mongol one so far.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 05:04   #10
David Murray
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus

Actually I won't be too disrespectful, because I write subtitles for a living and therefore have been watching a clip of his speech today.
Are you one of those brave souls who has to subtitle programmes 'live'? That must be a pretty stressful job. Imagine having a slip of the fingers on the keyboard and typing a sentence of gobbledygook. Nightmare.
David Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 11:53   #11
Plotinus
Prince

[David Murray] Yes, indeed I am, although I've never accidentally sent out a swear word (one of my colleagues once did, but you didn't hear it from me). It's easy to do George Bush though, because he speaks so slowly and, to be fair, quite well - *except* for his radio speeches, which I privately think must be either played back faster than they are recorded, or delivered by an actor. They sound so different.
Old January 27, 2004, 13:37   #12
MattPilot
Prince

writing subtitles for howard dean must be easy too. Just put in a bunch of screams hehe
MattPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2004, 02:44   #13
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 11:27
I think the History Channel did a pretty shoddy job of research- The Goths were rarely shown wearing black and didn't seem to have any eye makeup on.

I agree it was refreshing to see a spotlight on this group for a change.
Old January 28, 2004, 11:45   #14
Plotinus
Prince

Lucky I'm British, then - we don't know who Howard Dean is, or if we do, he's nowhere near important enough to show his speeches!
Old January 31, 2004, 09:56   #15
The Hack
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:27
After watching the show about the Mongels I fired up a game playing them. I outdid Ghengis and Temur and took out the Chinese. Then the Americans. After that the Mayans and Aztecs. There is something wrong with culture linking
The Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2004, 15:21   #16
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel2D
I think the History Channel did a pretty shoddy job of research- The Goths were rarely shown wearing black and didn't seem to have any eye makeup on.
Ok, after 4 days now, I GET IT!!!!

I admit, I mistook a reference to pop culture for a historical reference. But I finally get it now!

Pretty funny Rommel2D!

Steven
Old February 1, 2004, 15:29   #17
steven8r
Prince

On another History Chanel show, they had a 'Modern Marvels' episode entitled 'Bombs'. It covered from Gunpowder to Nukes. It even mentioned the 'Byzantine Greek Fire' in naval combat!!

It actually gave a lot of insight from a 'Civ' standpoint. It helped me better appreciate various Research paths that a civ makes.

One thing though, according to that show, the Manhattan Project was the single most expensive project that anyone had completed before or since. Perhaps it's cost sould be increased in Civ. Just a thought.

Gave me an idea for a new unit, the 'Grenader' (not sure about all . (this unit may already appear in someone's mod).

The History Channel is pretty cool, both on it's own and from a Civ standpoint. I highly recommend it to all.

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; February 1, 2004 at 15:40.
steven8r is offline   Reply With Quote