View Poll Results: So do you?
Yes 4 50.00%
No 1 12.50%
only if she were NDP 2 25.00%
I'd rather sleep with the banana 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21, 2004, 04:48   #91
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Why call a referrendum on this issue and not others?

I would have agreed with NYE's example of repatriating the constitution ought to have been a referendum, because of the entire 'charterland' experience. It has profoundly changed Canadian society. The same with this issue of marriage.
Old January 21, 2004, 04:49   #92
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: November 3, 2010
NYE: I apologized for going overboard in calling it the Alberta Reich. Again, I'm sorry, it's unfair of me.

The Seinfeld quote I was refering to was at the end of the post, and refered to the Belinda Stronach poll that started the thread. For the record, I don't think she's a Nazi either.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old January 21, 2004, 04:56   #93
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Aren't men > women in most religious societies?
Generally the opposite.

NYE:

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that the RC church would permit the marriage of a man to a Hindi woman who was previously married in a Hindu ceremony?
You pose an interesting question. Could the government regulate polygamy under that second option? I'm not sure.

Could you reword that sentence regarding the RC church? I don't know if you are saying the woman married one man who was Hindu and then got married to another Roman Catholic man while still married to the Hindu, or if she married the Roman Catholic man after the Hindu man died.
Old January 21, 2004, 04:57   #94
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:28
Quote:
Originally posted by joncha
NYE: I apologized for going overboard in calling it the Alberta Reich. Again, I'm sorry, it's unfair of me.

The Seinfeld quote I was refering to was at the end of the post, and refered to the Belinda Stronach poll that started the thread. For the record, I don't think she's a Nazi either.

jon.
All right. I can get past it if I suppose it was not seriously meant, and it never happens again.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:01   #95
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
NYE:

You pose an interesting question. Could the government regulate polygamy under that second option? I'm not sure.

Could you reword that sentence regarding the RC church? I don't know if you are saying the woman married one man who was Hindu and then got married to another Roman Catholic man while still married to the Hindu, or if she married the Roman Catholic man after the Hindu man died.
I think the feds could govern polygamy regardless. It is exploitative and hence, illegal. <--- Period

I am refering to a Hindi woman divorcing after a Hindu ceremony, and then wanting to be married to an RC man in an RC ceremony. I suspect the RCs would say 'no dice'.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:06   #96
notyoueither
Deity

In other words, I think each sect will be perfectly capable of continuing on when the feds decide to give legal recognition to the cermonies performed for gay couples in progressive churches.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:08   #97
Napoleon I
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:28
Quote:

I would have agreed with NYE's example of repatriating the constitution ought to have been a referendum, because of the entire 'charterland' experience. It has profoundly changed Canadian society. The same with this issue of marriage.
Seems to me like a pretty arbitrary decision. Are you in general unhappy with the way representative democracy works in Canada, or are you choosing this particular issue because you don't like the majority government opinion?
Old January 21, 2004, 05:10   #98
Napoleon I
Chieftain

Also could you justify your opinion that women are typically > men in religious socieities?
Old January 21, 2004, 05:15   #99
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 00:28
Quote:
Originally posted by joncha
Quote:
quote:
Remember the Tories also had Kim Campbell who was easy on the eyes.
Kim Campbell? yikes! She's about as "easy on the eyes" as Audrey McLaughlin!

It'll the night terrors again for me, now... "Ah! Cobras!"

jon.
My thoughts exactly. Campbell? Easy on the eyes? I still shudder to think about it.

And Jon, I see you have been introduced to NYE's world where Easterners are bigots and Vancouver folk are idiots. And he wonders why Albertans have a bad rep.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:19   #100
Tingkai
Prince

So Stronach is pro-choice and in favour of gay marriages.

Time to make Ben the president of the Apolyton for Stronach fan club.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:22   #101
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

My thoughts exactly. Campbell? Easy on the eyes? I still shudder to think about it.

And Jon, I see you have been introduced to NYE's world where Easterners are bigots and Vancouver folk are idiots. And he wonders why Albertans have a bad rep.
No, just people who prove it, like you seem to like doing.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:23   #102
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

hehe.... good to know.

He was right to call me on the fascist thing, though. Its used way too often where it doesn't apply.

I remember having an argument with an anarchist once upon a time... "No, the cops were not beating you because they're fascists, they were beating you because they're cops and you're a scruffy protestor." Ah, memories.

From now on, I'll just call a tory a tory.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:41   #103
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
I suspect the RCs would say 'no dice'.
Yeah, for reasons of the divorce.

Quote:
Time to make Ben the president of the Apolyton for Stronach fan club.
Well, she is pretty.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:45   #104
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Each church would perform their own ceremonies, and only those churches that have similar beliefs would recognise each other's marriages.
Doesn't that sort of shoot that idea down?
Old January 21, 2004, 05:51   #105
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Are you in general unhappy with the way representative democracy works in Canada, or are you choosing this particular issue because you don't like the majority government opinion?
Both actually. I want to see a triple E senate, and much better Western representation in Parliament. Right now, with the majority government, they do not need a vote past Winnipeg.

Quote:
Also could you justify your opinion that women are typically > men in religious socieities?
It's 2 am over here and I have to be up at 7. I believe this to be true from personal experience, and from the opinion of missionaries, that the women often bring the men into church.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:56   #106
Napoleon I
Chieftain

Quote:

It's 2 am over here and I have to be up at 7. I believe this to be true from personal experience, and from the opinion of missionaries, that the women often bring the men into church.
Same here. We can continue this tomorrow, unless this thread is buried during the night.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:58   #107
notyoueither
Deity

Actually, Ben. the West is equally, or a little more, represented in Parliament by population. Ontario takes a bit of a hit for the smaller provinces.

The Senate, now that is a bird of a different feather. I suspect the cries to reform it will not be heeded, until Alberta and BC come near the population of Ontario (which will happen) and command as many seats in Parliament. Then the cry will ring out, and then I hope that we remember what it was like to be the alienated and outcast.
Old January 21, 2004, 11:19   #108
Tingkai
Prince

Canadian Liberals and NDPers:

Fight the next federal election today. Join the new Conservative party and get it going on the ironic start that it deserves. That's right join the Conservative party.

Think back to the 1980s. The PC party had won two majorities. Things were looking bleak for the Liberals and the NDPers. But, along came the Western right wingers to the rescue. Faced with the success of the PC party, western conservatives naturally rose up and said: "No, we won't take this anymore!" The rise of the Reform Party removed the PC stranglehold on Canada. Never have so few right winger done so much for us sensible folks.

The Reformers gift to us continued for more than a decade as the Canadian right was neutered by in-fighting. Finally, the Reformers, I mean the Alliance, won. The PC party is dead. Now the Reformers dream of leading their party to glory.

But not so fast.

Imagine if Stronach wins the leadership race. Instead of a good ol' Reformer, the Conservative party will be led by a Red Tory, a right winger with a liberal approach to social issues. They'll be spitting fire when the Stronach-led Conservatives vote pro-choice and in favour of gay majors.

Ah, the sweet irony. The Reformers spend years destroying the right, only to get a Red Tory leader.

There will be mutiny in the ranks. We can count on the old Reformers to split the right again, leaving the way open for a Liberal or NDP government.

So do your part now. Join your local Conservative association and make sure they vote for Stronach.

Join the Conservatives today!
Old January 21, 2004, 15:25   #109
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The more I hear about this chick, the more I like her.

She seems to have identical opinions to Joe Clark?
Old January 21, 2004, 19:54   #110
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 09:28

Perform same-sex marriages or resign, B.C. tells commissioners
Last Updated Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:01:54
VANCOUVER - British Columbia has ordered the province's marriage commissioners to perform same-sex marriage ceremonies or resign.

Opponents of same-sex marriage are upset with the decision, saying the right of same-sex couples to marry has yet to be turned into a law.

The B.C. Vital Statistics Agency, which appoints the commissioners who perform civil marriage ceremonies, sent out a letter in January ordering those "who feel they cannot solemnize same-sex marriages" to "resign their appointments" effective March 31.

Commissioners received the letter Wednesday.

Some 300 marriage commissioners perform approximately 54 per cent of the roughly 22,000 marriages in B.C. every year, according to the agency's website.

B.C. Conservative MP Paul Forseth said the letter indicated the province had decided to "jump the gun and actively promote same-sex marriage as a matter of government operational policy."

He added that it was unfair to change a commissioner's employment conditions midway through his or her tenure.

Forseth suggested commissioners be organized into two groups, one that performs same-sex marriages and one that doesn't.

Advocates of same-sex marriage, however, were heartened by the news.

Tim Stevenson, a Vancouver city councillor and United Church minister, said the province is merely acknowledging the court's stance on the issue. He applauded the government for ensuring that commissioners could no more turn down a marriage based on gender than they could turn down a marriage based on skin colour.

In May, the B.C. Court of Appeal altered the definition of marriage to "the union of two persons." Two months later, the court lifted a moratorium on same-sex marriages.

Well, looks like the gubmint ain't gonna wait too long to get the ball rolling, at least in B.C. Can't say I'm too bothered by it.

to this.
Old January 21, 2004, 20:25   #111
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

OK:

About representation of the West, I would contend the opposite, that Western Canada is underrepresented in parliament.

The 2001 figures:

Ontario 11,410,046 +6.1%
Quebec 7,237,470 +1.4%
British Columbia 3,907,738 +4.9%
Alberta 2,974,807 +10.3%
Manitoba 1,119,583 +0.5%
Saskatchewan 978,933 -1.1%
Nova Scotia 908,007 -0.1%
New Brunswick 729,498 -1.2%
Newfoundland 512,930 -7.0%
PEI 135,294 +0.5%

30,007,094 Total

all numbers from http://www.canadainfolink.ca/chartfoura.htm

Now, we would expect, in a parliament of 301 seats:

114 seats for Ontario
72 seats for Quebec
39 seats for BC
30 seats for Alberta
11 seats for Manitoba
10 seats for Saskatchewan
9 seats for Nova Scotia
7 seats for New Brunswick
5 seats for Newfoundland
2 seats (generous) to PEI.

Now, let's see the real proportions.

Prince Edward Island 4
Newfoundland 7
Nova Scotia 11
New Brunswick 10
Quebec 75
Ontario 103
Manitoba 14
Saskatchewan 14
Alberta 26
British Columbia 34

BC needs at least 6 seats, and Alberta needs 4, if we do not take any away from the declining provinces.

Ontario would need another 11 seats.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan are overrepresented, by 7 seats, while BC and Alberta are underrepresented by 10 seats.

This is a pretty significant redistribution, considering that the entire province of Nova Scotia has 11 seats.

I see what you say about Ontario, but just because Ontario is underrepresented, it does not necessarily mean that the West is overrepresented. Both BC and Ontario seem to be getting shafted by the present system.
Old January 21, 2004, 20:31   #112
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Also you have to look at the proportion.

6 seats out of 34 is more than 17% underrepresentation in BC, and 15% underrepresentation in Alberta.

Ontario comes in at a little over 10% underrepresentation.
Old January 21, 2004, 20:35   #113
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Opponents of same-sex marriage are upset with the decision, saying the right of same-sex couples to marry has yet to be turned into a law.

The B.C. Vital Statistics Agency, which appoints the commissioners who perform civil marriage ceremonies, sent out a letter in January ordering those "who feel they cannot solemnize same-sex marriages" to "resign their appointments" effective March 31.
Why? If this has not been affirmed by parliament, than the Vital Statistics Agency is jumping the gun.

The vital statistics agency reports to Parliament, and not to the judiciary.
Old January 21, 2004, 20:37   #114
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
So do your part now. Join your local Conservative association and make sure they vote for Stronach.

Join the Conservatives today!
Go right ahead. Then stay in the party and vote for the Tory winner in the election regardless of the leader.

If you just vote for Stronach, and leave if she loses, than go away. We don't want you.
Old January 21, 2004, 20:40   #115
Napoleon I
Chieftain

Ben:

You're right: Western Canada is getting a little shafted by the current system - but look at the numbers.

If you consider only BC and Alberta they comprise 22.9% of population and have 20.1% of seats. Rather minor for the sake of actual decision making process. If you count, though, the overrepresented Manitoba and Saskatchewan (which, I gather, are much closer in terms of social values to the west rather than east), then you get a total of 29.9% of population and 29.5% of seats. That's just about as equal as an electoral system can get.
Old January 21, 2004, 20:57   #116
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

We can't redistribute seats away from a province, or otherwise the Maritimes would lose most of their representation.

Just because a system is good, does not mean that it cannot be improved.
Old January 21, 2004, 21:04   #117
Napoleon I
Chieftain

Quote:
We can't redistribute seats away from a province, or otherwise the Maritimes would lose most of their representation.

Just because a system is good, does not mean that it cannot be improved.
Improvement is great, but do you really think these 2.8% that BC and Alberta are being cheated out have an impact on national decisions? Especially given that Ontario would actually gain more seats than BC and Alberta combined? Do you really think the politics of the government would be different
Old January 21, 2004, 21:09   #118
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 16:28
as far as Tories go, Ann Widicome is the sexiest, and should lad all torie parties all over the commonwealth!
Old January 21, 2004, 22:03   #119
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:28
Quote:
Go right ahead. Then stay in the party and vote for the Tory winner in the election regardless of the leader.

If you just vote for Stronach, and leave if she loses, than go away. We don't want you.
If you just join the Progressive Conservatives to vote for the merger, and leave if it doesn't go through, go away. The PCs don't want you.
Old January 21, 2004, 22:16   #120
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Especially given that Ontario would actually gain more seats than BC and Alberta combined? Do you really think the politics of the government would be different
That's a poor reason to oppose representation. It's more about fairness.

Quote:
If you just join the Progressive Conservatives to vote for the merger, and leave if it doesn't go through, go away. The PCs don't want you.
Agreed.

Find a quote where I have supported people joining the Progressive Conservative Party.