Old January 20, 2004, 18:29   #1
mucker
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Where are the small wonders?
Every game I've played, I've only had the option of building the Forbidden Palace. Am I missing something?
mucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2004, 18:45   #2
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:28
Yes

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Provost Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2004, 18:46   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:28
well, some like the military academy, pentagon, heroic epic require a victorious army. Wall street requires 5 stock exchanges, battle medicine requires 5 hospitals and the iron works requires coal and iron in the same city radius. SDI requires 5 sams etc. So make sure you have the requisite 5 of whichever building.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2004, 18:46   #4
mucker
Chieftain

OK, what? There are 3 small wonders in the Ancient era, for instance. why do I only get the option to build 1?
Old January 20, 2004, 18:47   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:28
The FP is a small wonder. Miliary Academy, Heroic Epic, are two others. You need to have a victorious army to build either.

Apollo requires space flight and a resource.
Battle Field Medicine requires you have 5 cities with a hospital.
Intel Agency requires Espionage.
Iron Works requires a city have both coal and iron in its borders.
Pentagon requires you have three armies.
Wall Street requires 5 stock exchanges.
SDI you need 5 sam bases and all the tech.
SPHQD requires you have communism.

So as you can see it is eay to not be able to do many of them.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2004, 18:47   #6
mucker
Chieftain

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!
Old January 20, 2004, 18:50   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
The FP is a small wonder. Miliary Academy, Heroic Epic, are two others. You need to have a victorious army to build either.

So as you can see it is eay to not be able to do many of them.
a bit more thorough than mine (and easier to read to boot!)
Old January 20, 2004, 18:50   #8
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:28
all small wonders request some kind of accomplishment before you can build them...

for example you need five hospitals before you can build battlefield medicine... you need a victorious army before you can build the heroic epic etc etc...

Just look in the civilopedia, every small wonder and what you need to build them is listed there...

edit: silly me for taking so much time to write a reply
Your method equals wipe out
Fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2004, 19:17   #9
vmxa1
Deity

sleepy I took to long to write mine. I probably would not have bothered if I had seen yours.
Old January 20, 2004, 22:22   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Military Academy allows the city that builds it to build empty Armies (100 shields) and adds defense/attack bonuses to your Armies.
The Heroic Epic increases the chance of Great Leader appearances from successful Elite combats
Quote:
...and IIRC allows you to build parts for the SpaceShip victory
Quote:
...and allows your units to heal when in enemy territory.
Quote:
...and allows espionage missions to be carried out against other civs.
Quote:
...and increases shield production in that city by 100%
Quote:
...and lets you put a fourth unit into armies (both existing and future armies).
Quote:
...and gives you 10% interest bonus on your income, up to a maximum of 500 gold per turn.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
...and, um.... I don't kno what this does. have never got that far in games.
Quote:
...and acts as another Forbidden Palace for when you are in Communism.
So as you can see it is eay to not be able to do many of them. [/QUOTE]

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2004, 22:45   #11
asleepathewheel
Emperor

that's a +1 if I've ever seen one!

(and I think armies are 200 shields to build, could be horribly wrong though)
Old January 21, 2004, 05:49   #12
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

I know for sure itīs not just 100 shields, then you would pump them out like every other turn in the late game...

edit: I checked it out itīs 400
Old January 21, 2004, 05:54   #13
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:28
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

...and gives you 10% interest bonus on your income, up to a maximum of 500 gold per turn.
It's 5% interest on your treasury with a cap of 50 gold per turn.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2004, 14:00   #14
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:28
SDI gives you a 75% chance to destroy incomming Nukes. IOW, each Nuke lauched against you has only a 25% of hitting you.

Unfortunately, I have had games that lasted long enough for that SW to be useful. It is a cool graphic showing an incomming Nuke and all of a sudden a laser shoots it and it blows up.

An interesting side-effect of being Nuked: sure, you lose contact w/ the capital (Roads/Harbors/Airports/Markets etc.--generally.) and deprives the city of all Luxuries, but it's not uncommon for a just-nuked city to go into WLTK Day! The Nuke takes-out most of your unhappy citizens! I guess the survivors are just so happy to be alive!

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; January 21, 2004 at 14:17.
steven8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2004, 14:20   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Stacks of workers will fix that up in no time. Now I am bummed out, I may never see that graphic.
Old January 23, 2004, 03:34   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

It's that good ole' blitz spirit. Here's an OT idea for Civ4 - a siege/bombardment unhappiness that kicks in and remains as long as an invading army is stationed outside a city or is bombarding a city. This could simulate the famine and disease that has so often followed sieges through history, especially in cities with Walls (like Athens when besieged by the Spartans, or any Medieval city you care to name).

Quote:
Stacks of workers will fix that up in no time. Now I am bummed out, I may never see that graphic.
Why not? Just find a savegame where you got to the modern era, give away a whole lot of tech until you all have Nukes and the SDI and provoke a war.

Old January 23, 2004, 03:52   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Too lazy for that, but I will keep my eyes open. Once in awhile someone pops up with a game saved at that point.
You would need some luck as well to get teh incoming intercepted.
Old January 23, 2004, 04:17   #18
The Mad Monk
Emperor

At 75%, not that much luck is needed.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 04:48   #19
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

itīs really quite sad that the majority of players, including myself, have not experienced all the game features
Old January 23, 2004, 10:07   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Attention spans. Mine must be going down with old age (almost mid 20s!).

Old January 23, 2004, 14:23   #21
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Here's an OT idea for Civ4 - a siege/bombardment unhappiness that kicks in and remains as long as an invading army is stationed outside a city or is bombarding a city. This could simulate the famine and disease that has so often followed sieges through history, especially in cities with Walls (like Athens when besieged by the Spartans, or any Medieval city you care to name).
Just destroy Food improvements and the Pop will be complaining that, "It's just too crowded.". Sure, that's a bit different (verbage-wize) than, "I just can't stand all the boulders/cannon balls/shells raining down upon me!" Technically, your idea of 'Famine' unhappines IS in the game--albeit slightly different semantics.

Quote:
. . . Now I am bummed out, I may never see that graphic.
:'( :sniff: :sniff:

Just be patient. I'll probably have a save before too long where it will be possible for you to see it. It's a cool graphic, complete w/ sound effects and everything. Complete audio/visual splendor!!!

Steven
Old January 23, 2004, 15:37   #22
eris
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatwreck
itīs really quite sad that the majority of players, including myself, have not experienced all the game features
I have to disagree. I look at it as being the case that there is always the possibility of something new happening or being discovered. For example: I avoid nukes. By that time I usually have the tech lead (or have died) and I just don't build the Manhattan Project. Ergo, no nukes in my worlds. But one time, I didn't have a definitive enough lead and while I was going for the Space race, another civ built the Manhattan Project themselves. Suddenly I am in a game with nukes, much to my dismay. As I contunued on for the spacehip I worried each turn whether someone was going to go ballistic, so to speak. I even built a few nukes myself in case that would act as a deterent. I made it to the Spaeship and got out of there beore they blew each other up. (That's how I visualized it, anyway.) I was mightily relieved and ended up enjoying the victory more because of the extra pressure. It was something new and enjoyable for its newness.

There are so many possibilities built into this game. I don't look at it as aspects of the game I ]have not experienced. I look at it as aspects of the game I have not experienced yet. The prospect and potential are part of what keeps me playing.

So, for me, it is not sadness, but hopeful anticipation.

But that is just me. And I am strange. Proud of my strangeness, but strange none the less.
Old January 23, 2004, 20:32   #23
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I posted this save a while back... don;t remember what it was from.

Just after I had launched nuclear devastation on the world, and got counter-attacked by 40+ nukes, and the SDI protected against just about 75%.

It is VERY cool.

Have fun, nuke fans!! If you have it, surround sound and a subwoofer at max make for an immersive experience!

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/The...ddon1892AD.zip
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 21:03   #24
vmxa1
Deity

Now that is whatI need, thanks.
Old January 23, 2004, 21:26   #25
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Can't wait to read your reaction!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old January 23, 2004, 22:08   #26
vmxa1
Deity

Ok here it is. First the animation was too fast, but after a bunch of them I finally managed to get a good look.

You sure cured me of asking for any nuke runs. It was getting annoying towards the end and finally getting all the city popups before I got the final ending.

You sure had a lot of ships.
I liked the lighting effect more than the laser. The laser effect came after the lightinig one? I would think it should be the other way around?

Anyway you kick their butts. Did you consider runa spy to find their nuke before they launched them to try to take them out?
I used that once, but it was way back in the early days of CivIII and I have not done it since. It was cool to see where all the troops where located.
Old January 24, 2004, 06:33   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Sounds neat! I look forward to checking this out in two weeks. Hope the thread is still easy to find...

Old January 24, 2004, 07:16   #28
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by eris

I have to disagree. I look at it as being the case that there is always the possibility of something new happening or being discovered. For example: I avoid nukes. By that time I usually have the tech lead (or have died) and I just don't build the Manhattan Project. Ergo, no nukes in my worlds. But one time, I didn't have a definitive enough lead and while I was going for the Space race, another civ built the Manhattan Project themselves. Suddenly I am in a game with nukes, much to my dismay. As I contunued on for the spacehip I worried each turn whether someone was going to go ballistic, so to speak. I even built a few nukes myself in case that would act as a deterent. I made it to the Spaeship and got out of there beore they blew each other up. (That's how I visualized it, anyway.) I was mightily relieved and ended up enjoying the victory more because of the extra pressure. It was something new and enjoyable for its newness.

There are so many possibilities built into this game. I don't look at it as aspects of the game I ]have not experienced. I look at it as aspects of the game I have not experienced yet. The prospect and potential are part of what keeps me playing.

So, for me, it is not sadness, but hopeful anticipation.

But that is just me. And I am strange. Proud of my strangeness, but strange none the less.
maybe it was a bit harsh to call it sad, but I still think it feels weird that I have played a game for several years and never even been close to research all the techs in the game. If I get to the modern age I always go for the space race victory because there really isnīt much choice (well itīs that or domination ) and you get all the parts long before you discovered all the techs...
Old January 24, 2004, 16:23   #29
Theseus
Emperor

Quote:
Sounds neat! I look forward to checking this out in two weeks. Hope the thread is still easy to find...
It's a PTW save... go for it!