Old January 20, 2004, 19:55   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Last base standing?
This is a discussion thread for what PEACE base should we attack last.
This is an important question as due to a bug in MP games a human player must obliterate his last base himself, instead of letting it be captured by his conqueror. So there will always be one base we can't get.

IIRC Impaler proposed we should leave Atlantis to be obliterated. I can't recall his arguments, but I assume he would want to tell them later himself.

A proposal I made in the past was to let Calico Island be obliterated. My arguments for that proposal are that Calico is located away from the rest of our bases, and thus it would be more difficult to defend. Also it is located far away, so it would cause inefficiency.
The same can be said about Atlantis. However Atlantis can have one other use: acting as an airbase where our aircraft can land before being sent onwards to attack the Angels or - if they decide to co-op with the Drones and attack us or PUT - the Hive.

What would others propose to let be the last PEACE base standing? And why do you propose so?
Old January 20, 2004, 20:12   #2
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

I follow your drift in this except for one thing:
You say Atlantis can have a future use as an airbase, but the same counts for Calico Island (to the University). Unless off course the're plans to colonize the land just east of Calico.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old January 20, 2004, 20:21   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
You say Atlantis can have a future use as an airbase, but the same counts for Calico Island (to the University).
Indeed. Though we already have many other bases that are in range of PUT: DBTSverse Portal, Zetaris and And/Or Gate.
Old January 20, 2004, 20:23   #4
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac

Indeed. Though we already have many other bases that are in range of PUT: DBTSverse Portal, Zetaris and And/Or Gate.
Um, to make sure: PUT means the University?
And now that I'm at it IIRC? IMO? And another few like that?
Old January 20, 2004, 20:30   #5
Maniac

PUT = Planet University of Technology
IIRC : If I Recall/Remember Correctly
IM(H)O: In My (Humble) Opinion

Here are a few others.
Old January 21, 2004, 01:29   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Is there any chance that we could explore some of the area around each before having to decide? We may find that the terrain/sea around one is worth having a near presence to more than the other. Otherwise Calico should go - it is way distant North from the other PEACE bases.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 21, 2004, 06:17   #7
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 16:29
I'm with MWIA on this one.

However, if we get PEACE to capitulate, they can transfer their bases to us, can they not? I'll write up the 3D now, for the Pact and surrender.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 21, 2004, 06:58   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 3, 2010
And about this last base bug thing for MP - was there a rule made about it at the start of the game, or will we just have to rely on Googlie to enforce a capitulation?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 21, 2004, 07:25   #9
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I proposed to Googlie that we send out plans to take it, he looks at PEACE defenses and sees if it's possible to defend it. If it isn't, he enforces capitulation.

However Tass is in charge now.

Old January 21, 2004, 10:10   #10
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I'm with MWIA on this one.

However, if we get PEACE to capitulate, they can transfer their bases to us, can they not? I'll write up the 3D now, for the Pact and surrender.
Isn't there the possibility that PEACE transfer bases to another faction instead of us, go over to that faction, and influence a war against us from their new home faction?
Or are their rules against that in this game?
Old January 21, 2004, 10:23   #11
Drogue
staff

They could. We just hope they don't know they could, or have more integrity than that.

Old January 21, 2004, 13:30   #12
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 09:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
They could. We just hope they don't know they could, or have more integrity than that.
The rules only disallow base-trading with the AI

PEACE could gift a base (or bases) to the AI, (that is permissible) or could empty a base(s) and invite a human player to invade and capture it (the only way of "gifting" a base to another human faction.

G.
Old January 21, 2004, 15:31   #13
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie

The rules only disallow base-trading with the AI

PEACE could gift a base (or bases) to the AI, (that is permissible) or could empty a base(s) and invite a human player to invade and capture it (the only way of "gifting" a base to another human faction.

G.
What is it now?

First line you tell that base trading with the AI is disallowed according to the rules, and in the second paragraph you tell that PEACE is permitted to gift to the AI?

And if gifting a base to another human faction can't, is SELLING then possible?
Old January 21, 2004, 15:47   #14
Maniac

We can't trade bases to the AI in exchange for something else, but we can gift for nothing. There's a difference. And to humans we can both gift or trade bases.

MWIA:
Quote:
Is there any chance that we could explore some of the area around each before having to decide?
We've assimilated the PEACE map this year. So we know all the surroundings.
Old January 21, 2004, 16:05   #15
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

GeoModder, base-trading is a term used for bug when you can tried a level one colony in a middle of no-where for a level 15 base with all secret projects -or so to say exchange New York for a village in middle of sand desert. This is an exploitable bug not allowed for obvious reasons, because for example Peace would exchange bases with Angels.
Old January 21, 2004, 17:24   #16
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

The reason I feel Atlantis is a more promising "last base" is that our Amphibius forces will need to capture it as its a land base. The only remaining Ocean bases are Lair and Calico so very soon our navy will have nothng to do and might as well take Calico. Marines will likly take a bit longer to mop up PEACe land bases though so it makes sense to make the last base a land base.

Ofcorse we will likly play the whole thing by Ear.

I also porpose we build some land bases on the southern tip of the land mass that Calico is bordering, simply for the purposes of laying claim to that island and expanding our territory.

Also note that Atlantis is much to far away from the Hive to lauch air units their, and the 2 bases of Little Accident and Henry Morgans Boot make better points of attack vs the Angels.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 21, 2004, 17:41   #17
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

I agree with Impaler - seems Atlantis shall be a lost city again.
Old January 21, 2004, 18:43   #18
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
Also note that Atlantis is much to far away from the Hive to lauch air units their
Indeed. But with Atlantis we would only need to build one more base 8 squares NW of Atlantis if we wanted to create an air bridge to the Hive. Without Atlantis, when we feel the need for such an air bridge, it would take us two bases that we'd have to build.
Btw, this argument is no longer valid if we should attack the Angels (with Monsoon Jungle ) after we finished PEACE, as Angel bases are even closer to the Hive.
Old January 21, 2004, 19:35   #19
Drogue
staff

I'll go for Atlantis as the last base. IMHO the ease of capture and ability to colonise the nice little area around Calico seems worth it.

Old January 21, 2004, 20:38   #20
Maniac

I guess that's settled then.
Old January 30, 2004, 08:57   #21
Maniac

Copy from my post in the EAF Office:
Quote:
Alternate use of the Mammoth task Force might be to Capture Pampalona as that would prevent a Barq from being completed
I would have preferred that as well. But (IMHO) unfortunately a majority seems in favour of keeping Atlantis instead of Calico as the last base to attack. So if we would now attack Pamplona, we couldn't attack Atlantis the turn after. Henry Morgan's Boat would have to be captured first. That means an extra two turns to move back CCS Mammoth from Pamplona to HMB, and then again three turns to move Mammoth Task Force from HMB to Atlantis. Very inefficient.
This would not be a problem if we designated Calico as the base to be obliterated. Then the task description would be much easier: CCS Mammoth goes for Pamplona and Atlantis, CCS Impaler goes for HMB and Little Accident, and Calico will be obliterated. The war would be over much sooner, possibly in three years.
Old January 30, 2004, 12:15   #22
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Hmm, I am willing to reconsider my vote if you are sure that it will shorten the war.
Old January 31, 2004, 12:01   #23
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

What ever gets the war over ASAP gets my vote, just be shure their are no slip ups
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche