yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 16:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

Well inform me ole mighty one

How has this little trip to Mars helped me
well for the most obvious you assume that NASA is comprised entirely of one unmanned mission to mars.

I think the laffability of that should speed u on ur way to a more detailed investigation of ur woeful inadequacies.
Old January 22, 2004, 16:45   #32
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 10:35
Hey. my thread begun with an article and a link!

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=107037

Go there, the better thread!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 22, 2004, 16:46   #33
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:35
Quote:
How has this little trip to Mars helped me
The whole point is to do lots of expensive and off stuff and hope you hit gold.

You can spend money on nothing and more nothing and then bam, you have a Steam Engine, or the Internet and the world has changed.
Old January 22, 2004, 16:48   #34
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Hey. my thread begun with an article and a link!
We don't want to bring facts into this now do we?
Old January 22, 2004, 16:49   #35
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
Sigh -- one of the problems is that some people have this instant gratification attitude, that if NASA does not change our society in some dramatic way in a couple of weeks, they must be failing.
Old January 22, 2004, 16:50   #36
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:35
Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000
Well, since you're fond of making wild assumptions about the usage of federal tax money without Bush's guidance,
Yeah, cuz the Democrats have sure spent so much money on the poor. When has the United States ever had any kind of social democratic pretentions? The only time the U.S. came close, the so-called War on Poverty, it got derailed, not by the space program, but the WAR ON VIETNAM!

Quote:
The money that would have been available if NASA wasnt using it would go a long way towards building a social safety net.
If it wasn't being used for NASA, it would be used, most likely, for pork-barrel projects. It certainly wouldn't be used for helping the poor. That or it would be gven to the rich as a tax cut. You'd be better off *****ing about the billion dollars a day we spend in Iraq.

Quote:
No I didnt spend my tax cut. I'm middle class - I didnt get one.
You got one, just not much of one.

You always act like it's this either or propoistion. Either we explore space or we feed the poor. NASA gets a pittance. Half the Federal budget is taken up paying for past and future wars (some of which goes to NASA). Then there's all the money spent on corporate welfare. If you kvetched abuot the moeny we spend on everything else, maybe you'd at least be logically consistent when it comes to NASA's budget. As it is, you only trot out this argument for NASA.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 22, 2004, 16:50   #37
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

I would settle for them building things that actually work. How much money was spent by the US, the UK and the Japanese to send those probes to Mars and what new information have we gotten from.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old January 22, 2004, 16:52   #38
chequita guevara
Emperor

How much money did Columbus bring back to Spain from the Americas? How much better off is the world that he blunder over here?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 22, 2004, 16:52   #39
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
I would settle for them building things that actually work. How much money was spent by the US, the UK and the Japanese to send those probes to Mars and what new information have we gotten from.
what an inane objection.
Old January 22, 2004, 16:53   #40
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Sigh -- one of the problems is that some people have this instant gratification attitude, that if NASA does not change our society in some dramatic way in a couple of weeks, they must be failing.
that is so true, and is the reason a lot of ppl have beef with a lot of different programs. Gimme, gimme, gimme!!!

Quote:
what new information have we gotten from.
That those ideas didn't work?... We, at least, got some very expensive pictures
Old January 22, 2004, 16:56   #41
Kramerman
Prince

without NASA, we ouwldnt have Postropedic Matresses!!! Or those pens that can write upside down! How dare you ask what has NASA done for you
Old January 22, 2004, 16:57   #42
MrFun
Emperor

Actually, the manufacturers of TempurPedic claims that their matresses are based on technology used by NASA.
Old January 22, 2004, 16:59   #43
Kramerman
Prince

lol, i am glad someone knew what the hell i was trying to talk about
Old January 22, 2004, 17:03   #44
MrFun
Emperor

Apolytoners are here to help each other out after all - when we're not at each other's throats.
Old January 22, 2004, 17:06   #45
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
without NASA, we ouwldnt have Postropedic Matresses!!! Or those pens that can write upside down! How dare you ask what has NASA done for you
Actually, the space program has down a lot more than just matresses... Like TANG!@!!@#

Seriously, rockets are not just used for sending peices of sheit to mars, but also send up satelites which are invaluable as communication tools (and for spying). Creating more efficient rockets encourages developments in material science (plastic, ceramics, conductors), electronics (microwave communication), and computers/programming (navigation and tracking systems)...

The space program has put out a lot of very useful tools that many people just take for granted these days. Because it is a "what have you done for me lately" buisness, though many ppl are to blind to see.
Old January 22, 2004, 17:07   #46
Jac de Molay
Prince

Screw Mars. Build a Space Elevator instead. The payoffs would be far better than pelting some desolate rock with expensive TinkerToys.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old January 22, 2004, 17:16   #47
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon

well for the most obvious you assume that NASA is comprised entirely of one unmanned mission to mars.

I think the laffability of that should speed u on ur way to a more detailed investigation of ur woeful inadequacies.

You assuming that I assume anything is a big mistake. Assumptions can be major ****ups

Just because I don't have a hard on everytime NASA sends up a probe doesnt mean you can act all smug and think you are somehow connected to the pulse of science. Sure space exploration is good, but perhaps we could start making life here on this planet a little happier.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old January 22, 2004, 17:18   #48
lord of the mark
Deity

It almost certainly makes sense to spend a certain amount of money on pure science. Within that it makes sense to spend a certain amount on space exploration and planetary science. Arguing for zero space exploration until every domestic social problem is solved is probably not a good idea - nonetheless there IS a real opportunity cost to space exploration - whether you want to use the money for social programs, in Iraq, or to return to the taxpayers. In that sense, NASA must show a good return in science for the money.

The ISS as currently configured almost certainly does not meet any reasonableness test. Hubble, and most earth orbit research sats certainly do. I suspect the comet probes, solar probes, and deep interplanetary probes, which dont have the costs associated with landing, etc do as well.

The real questions get to landing manned or unmanned on the moon and Mars. I suspect a very good case could be made that a man mission to Mars within the next 15 to 20 years doesnt make a lot of sense. The unmanned missions looked promising - but it must be admitted that the cost benefit ratio is looking pretty poor - I think someone is soon going to have to figure out WHY Mars landing missions are so difficulty prone, before we look to invest more in that direction. Besides, if youre commited to space science, I suspect there are many other space projects other than Mars landings that need funding as well.
Old January 22, 2004, 17:22   #49
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
It almost certainly makes sense to spend a certain amount of money on pure science. Within that it makes sense to spend a certain amount on space exploration and planetary science. Arguing for zero space exploration until every domestic social problem is solved is probably not a good idea - nonetheless there IS a real opportunity cost to space exploration - whether you want to use the money for social programs, in Iraq, or to return to the taxpayers. In that sense, NASA must show a good return in science for the money.

The ISS as currently configured almost certainly does not meet any reasonableness test. Hubble, and most earth orbit research sats certainly do. I suspect the comet probes, solar probes, and deep interplanetary probes, which dont have the costs associated with landing, etc do as well.

The real questions get to landing manned or unmanned on the moon and Mars. I suspect a very good case could be made that a man mission to Mars within the next 15 to 20 years doesnt make a lot of sense. The unmanned missions looked promising - but it must be admitted that the cost benefit ratio is looking pretty poor - I think someone is soon going to have to figure out WHY Mars landing missions are so difficulty prone, before we look to invest more in that direction. Besides, if youre commited to space science, I suspect there are many other space projects other than Mars landings that need funding as well.
Exactly
Old January 22, 2004, 17:52   #50
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Damn, I hope they get it working again.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 22, 2004, 17:53   #51
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
NASA officials work around the clock to get this problem fixed, costing taxpayers $$$ in overtime.

In a related story, old person freezes to death in a rundown innercity dwelling without heat in the Northeast because of insufficient funding of social programs to reach her and give assistance.
But did you know that giving people things is COMMUNISM!!!?
Old January 22, 2004, 17:58   #52
chequita guevara
Emperor

You know I'm not opposed to setting up an extensive social safety net, don't you bgf9000?
Old January 22, 2004, 18:35   #53
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

What would the world be like without velcro?
Old January 22, 2004, 18:37   #54
Japher
Emperor

a lot quieter, except for the screaming children as they crack their heads on the sidewalk when they trip over their shoe laces?
Old January 22, 2004, 18:39   #55
The Mad Monk
Emperor

We have to keep advancing, or we will lose it all. Not might, will.

Every step we take that leads us off this planet leads us away from catastrophe.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 22, 2004, 18:42   #56
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
What would the world be like without velcro?
Er . . . . .

ferrets and raccoons would not get along as well as they do now??
Old January 22, 2004, 18:54   #57
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
a lot quieter, except for the screaming children as they crack their heads on the sidewalk when they trip over their shoe laces?

And MrFun, I don't get it.
Old January 22, 2004, 19:37   #58
MrFun
Emperor

Velcro would stick to fur right??

So if ferrets and raccoons got stuck together, obviously they would have to find some way to get along.
Old January 22, 2004, 19:39   #59
Japher
Emperor

MrFun actually had a pretty good role with all his jokes being semi-funny... I think he's taken a step back with this one...

NOT FUNNY!!!
Old January 22, 2004, 19:47   #60
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Velcro would stick to fur right??

So if ferrets and raccoons got stuck together, obviously they would have to find some way to get along.
You owe us all ten bucks compensation for having to read that.