Old January 22, 2004, 16:01   #1
JohnDoe3815
Settler

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Upgrading
Ok I have finally beat the Fall of Rome conquest and now am trying the middle ages conquest. One problem I noticed right away is that for some unknown reason I cannot upgrade the Horsemen to knights. What I do know is that I can build new ones and I do have a barrack in the city that I am trying to upgrade in. Is there something else I need to do so I can upgrade the horsemen.

Desperately in need of help!
JohnDoe3815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2004, 16:16   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:35
The scenario may restrict upgrading. Otherwise you need to have enough money, a barracks, the tech and movement points left.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2004, 17:18   #3
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:35
I haven't tried that Scenario yet so don't know the specifics. Do you have the required Resources?

Also, are your Horsemen in a town w/ a Barracks? You can't upgrade units 'in the field'.
(Plus what vmxa1 said.)

Steven
Old January 22, 2004, 23:32   #4
JohnDoe3815
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
I haven't tried that Scenario yet so don't know the specifics. Do you have the required Resources?

Also, are your Horsemen in a town w/ a Barracks? You can't upgrade units 'in the field'.
(Plus what vmxa1 said.)

Steven
I guess you didn't read what I typed other wise you would have noticed that I did have them in a town and it did have a barracks in it. Also since I am capable to build a knight then I should be able to upgrade. These were not the answers I was looking for because I allready stated that I checked them allready. It turns out that the other guy who responded was on the right track about money. I forgot all about the upgrade cost and didn't relize that it needed a 120 gold to upgrade to a knight. So problem solved and I am now happy.
JohnDoe3815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 15:04   #5
steven8r
Prince

Sorry, I thought I had edited my post to include the part about the new units being available in the Build List. Either I suffered a computer lag while posting, or else a brain lag--thinking that I had posted something.

Yep, vmxa1 has been around awhile and I don't know if he knows all, but at times it sure seems like it.

Steven
Old January 23, 2004, 16:23   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah C3C raised the price on upgrades and that caught me the first time. I could see why I could not upgrade my unit. After a few turns I had enough cash and lo and behold.

The reason I know those mistakes is I have made them all. No movement and could no upgrade got me once or twice.
There was a bug that allowed the mass upgrade to get around that.
Old January 23, 2004, 16:33   #7
steven8r
Prince

vmxa1, I believe that that bug is still around. I've been able to move a unit into a city--using-up all his mvmt, but been able to activate another unit and Shift+U to get the one w/o mvmt left. I think I've done this in C3C. Haven't tried since the last beta patch though.

Steven
Old January 23, 2004, 18:24   #8
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Re: Upgrading
Most likely without having played middle ages are possibility that in that scerenio Horsemen don't upgrade to Knights or else you don't have enough cash.

For any conquest, look up each unit's stats and upgrade path. They may very a lot from standard. Same applies to city improvements, govts, and techs.

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnDoe3815
Ok I have finally beat the Fall of Rome conquest and now am trying the middle ages conquest. One problem I noticed right away is that for some unknown reason I cannot upgrade the Horsemen to knights. What I do know is that I can build new ones and I do have a barrack in the city that I am trying to upgrade in. Is there something else I need to do so I can upgrade the horsemen.

Desperately in need of help!
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 18:49   #9
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
vmxa1, I believe that that bug is still around. I've been able to move a unit into a city--using-up all his mvmt, but been able to activate another unit and Shift+U to get the one w/o mvmt left. I think I've done this in C3C. Haven't tried since the last beta patch though.

Steven
I'm not surprised as it has come and gone a few times. It an exploit, so I don't use, thats why I am not up to date on its status.
Old January 24, 2004, 02:01   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I'm not convinced it is a bug or an exploit. SMAC/X has the identical thing going with regard to individual versus mass upgrades, so it's been around for years.

I think of it as a reward for being able to save enough cash for a mass upgrade in the first place.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.

Last edited by The Mad Monk; January 24, 2004 at 04:04.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 02:08   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Well since they went to the trouble of patching it out once, they must have felt it did not belong, but it is no big deal. I only once had a real use for it. Way back in CivIII, if I had no upgrade a unit that way it would have made a difference.
Old January 24, 2004, 06:36   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:35
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I'd imagine if you were dealing with more than a dozen units it would be rather tedious trying to upgrade all of them one at a time - thats why the 'upgrade all' is there, really.

This is one piece of micromanagement that I would draw the line at, so if it ain't fixed then it's too tedious in most circumstances to worry about playing completely by the intended rules.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote