Old January 22, 2004, 23:35   #1
JohnDoe3815
Settler

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Black Death
I am still playing the middle ages conquest. The only problem I am having at this point is the Black Death. It seams little by little all my cities are getting it and once they do it never seems to go away. Does anyone have any info on Black Death?
JohnDoe3815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2004, 23:46   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
It's a hit and miss thing. It sometimes affects only one or two cities, or sometimes affects almost all of them. Sometimes you don't even get it at all. Same thing goes for duration. If you're having a problem with it in your game, it's just bad luck
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2004, 23:54   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 12:35
What does it do? Does it just kill pop?
Old January 22, 2004, 23:56   #4
Willem
Emperor

No, it can also kill units that are in the city as well. Mostly population though.
Old January 22, 2004, 23:57   #5
Willem
Emperor

Incidentally, it spreads quicker if a city is connected by a road, and apparently Walls make it more lethal. Or so I've read.
Old January 23, 2004, 00:00   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Though I haven't played the Middle Ages Conquest yet...I do have an idea as to why it's spreading around your Empire. This is what I would do if one (or more) of my cities were struck by plague:

1. Cut all roads to the infected city (isolate it from the rest of your cities)

2. If the infected city has a port - sell the port (again, isolating it from the remainder of your Empire).

3. And lastly, like the Civ2 Advisor always said:
Build City Walls!! in your uninfected cities to hopefully slow the spreading of the disease down.

Since I haven't played the Middle Ages Scenario yet, these are just guesses...but they do make sense.
Old January 23, 2004, 00:03   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Incidentally, it spreads quicker if a city is connected by a road, and apparently Walls make it more lethal. Or so I've read.

Makes sense - If an infected city has walls, the infection would be greater - but the infection would also burn itself out if it is kept contained to the city in question.
Old January 23, 2004, 00:14   #8
JohnDoe3815
Settler

Re: Black Death
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnDoe3815
I am still playing the middle ages conquest. The only problem I am having at this point is the Black Death. It seams little by little all my cities are getting it and once they do it never seems to go away. Does anyone have any info on Black Death?
Well finally the Black Plague has ended. Matter of fact all my cities were cured all at the same time. I am not sure what happened to get this result, but I am happy that it is over. Thanks for the quick responses.
JohnDoe3815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 14:17   #9
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: Black Death
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnDoe3815

Well finally the Black Plague has ended. Matter of fact all my cities were cured all at the same time. I am not sure what happened to get this result, but I am happy that it is over. Thanks for the quick responses.
Like I said, it's a hit and miss thing. If you go into the editor, you can find some of the parameter used in the Scenario Properties section.
Old January 23, 2004, 15:00   #10
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:35
Kinda cool animated vultures surrounding the infected cities.

Steven
Old January 23, 2004, 18:31   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

There might be a tech somewhere late in the middle ages conquest that greatly reduces the chance of plague.

In the with plague mod, Sanitation does the trick.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 20:41   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
The vultures are very cool. My eyes popped out of my head and I fell out of my chair when I first saw them.

I think it's also important not to move any units from cities with Black Death to uninfected cities.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 21:44   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

Has Firaxis provided any documentation on the exact mechanics of the Plague? If not, this would be a really cool thing for alexman to test
Old January 24, 2004, 01:57   #14
The Mad Monk
Emperor

As it is, without date, this is sorta reminding me of how the actual civilizations reacted to the real plague...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 05:02   #15
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
As it is, without date, this is sorta reminding me of how the actual civilizations reacted to the real plague...
They asked their god for the details of the plague, and barring that got a top notch scientist to do testing on it?

And I'm not so sure they were too quick on quarintine either...
Old January 24, 2004, 09:00   #16
ratster
Settler

Local Time: 16:35
Does it only happen in the scenarios, or in the main/random game also?
ratster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 10:33   #17
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
Quote:
Originally posted by ratster
Does it only happen in the scenarios, or in the main/random game also?
Only in certain scenarios. However, you can edit the original game to make it occur there as well. When the final big-change-patches are done, I think I'll inlcude it.
MoonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 10:35   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

Firaxis provided a scenario with C3C that enables the plague (that's the only rules change, and there's no map).
Old January 24, 2004, 15:20   #19
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Quote:
Originally posted by Switch

They asked their god for the details of the plague, and barring that got a top notch scientist to do testing on it?

And I'm not so sure they were too quick on quarintine either...
Hehe... or you can just single out one of the conquered minorities in your civ as the scape-goat, and pop-rush or starve them away for that added touch of brutal realism.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
joncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 17:25   #20
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

It's called "with plagues"

I'm also placed my modifications into that file to avoid touching the standard one.

My first change was that I increased the plague effects.

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Firaxis provided a scenario with C3C that enables the plague (that's the only rules change, and there's no map).
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 20:40   #21
Purple
Prince

Plague as a weapon?
I wonder whether anyone has used plague as a weapon. For example, send one of the units from a plague-infested city across the border to a neighboring civ and see what happens.

Has anyone done something like this?
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 21:34   #22
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Evil, Purple, evil. I like it.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 21:49   #23
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Plague as a weapon?
Quote:
Originally posted by Purple
I wonder whether anyone has used plague as a weapon. For example, send one of the units from a plague-infested city across the border to a neighboring civ and see what happens.

what about gifting a plagued city?
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 22:05   #24
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Re: Re: Plague as a weapon?
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

what about gifting a plagued city?
Now there's an evil twist!
Old January 24, 2004, 22:21   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

I doubt the unit would do anything... but gifting a plague-city almost definately would.

Even better, make a quick strike to take one of their cities, wait for it to catch plague, then sue for peace, giving it back
Old January 25, 2004, 02:45   #26
Merepatra
BreakAway Games

Local Time: 16:35
Re: Plague as a weapon?
Quote:
Originally posted by Purple

Plague isn't spread by units moving from city to city therefore this wouldn't have any effect.

Gobi Bear (Ed Beach, the BreakAway Games producer of Conquests) posted the following on CivFanatics a while ago which explains a bit about how plague works and the editor settings for it.

Quote:
Here is a quick explanation of the Plague in the Middle Ages scenario.

Start by looking at the "4 Middle Ages.BIQ" file in the editor and look at the Disasters! tab in the Scenario Properties dialog.

It lists:
"Earliest Start = 1346" ... means that the AVERAGE date it starts in 1346 AD (the historical date)

"Variance = 50" ... as explained in the editor online help, this is a measure of how variable the actual chosen start date is from 1346 AD.

"Duration = 50" ... number of years plague will remain active ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP (affecting all Civs) once it starts

"Strength = 100" ... the Black Death in the Middle Ages scenario is set to be the strongest possible type of plague

"Grace Period = 100" ... normally minimum number of years between plagues, but it is irrelevant in this case due to the next entry

"Max Occurrences = 1" ... plague will never come back after its 50 year-run in this scenario.

Plague affects both units in cities and the population of cities.

It affects all players at the same time.

As I recall, the chance of a city contracting plague is determined by the level of trade going on in that city (harbors, resources, etc.), the size of the city, the strength of the plague, and whether or not there are walls (walls increase the chance of plague).

Once a city has contracted plague, all you can do is wait it out (and move out the military units if possible).
Merepatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2004, 02:53   #27
Kuciwalker
Deity

Old January 25, 2004, 03:19   #28
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Once a city has contracted plague, all you can do is wait it out (and move out the military units if possible).
That and pray, pray, pray to the RNG gods.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
joncha is offline   Reply With Quote