Old January 23, 2004, 07:13   #1
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 17:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Brit Liberal MP in PLENTY hot water
A British Liberal MP is being heavily criticized over remarks made at a pro-Palestinian meeting. She has recently been quoted as "standing by" her remarks by a Middle East website.

Full Story - Telegraph (most popular broadsheet)

Quote:
As a mother and grandmother (sic), if I were forced to live in the conditions of the Palestinians, I might just consider being a suicide bomber myself
She then went on to condemn suicide bombings - bit of a contradiction I feel.

Personally, I feel her to be totally deluded (she is, after all, a grandmother) and her comments were obviously not intended for publication.

More fool her.

I CONDEMN ANY TARGETTING OF NON-COMBATANTS. TOTALLY.

I'm anti-Israeli policy, but I can't see how blowing people up solves anything.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old January 23, 2004, 07:15   #2
Solly
Emperor

This what you tend to get with some female MPs: loose cannons. Witness Clare Short as well. Add Lib Dem into the mix and it makes it doubly explosive.
Old January 23, 2004, 07:24   #3
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

It's good that she's so empathic.

We've got both kinds
Old January 23, 2004, 07:31   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 16:37
Re: Brit Liberal MP in PLENTY hot water
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
Full Story - Telegraph (most popular broadsheet)
Not to mention it's incredible Tory bias. It's worse, IMHO, for bias than the Guardian. But that's an opinion, when it coems to politics, they are both heavily biased.

Quote:
She then went on to condemn suicide bombings - bit of a contradiction I feel.
Why? She said she might just think about it in their conditions, as in she can understand the reasons why they would do it, but that she thinks it's wrong. I agree with her. I can understand why they would want to. I don't support it, but then I don't support Israel's occupation either.

Quote:
I CONDEMN ANY TARGETTING OF NON-COMBATANTS. TOTALLY.

Quote:
I'm anti-Israeli policy, but I can't see how blowing people up solves anything.
Very true, but I can see why they might think it would.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 23, 2004, 07:38   #5
Cruddy
Warlord

Re: Re: Brit Liberal MP in PLENTY hot water
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

...Very true, but I can see why they might think it would.
Then TELL ME... where is the argument for the indiscrimate destruction of life?

Suicide bombers are just as likely to kill tourists as Israelis - where is the justification?
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old January 23, 2004, 07:44   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I'm not arguing for it. I'm saying I can understand why they would do it. They think it draws attention to their plight. They if they kill enough people Israel might grant them land to stop it.

Just as likely? You have any figures of number of tourists killed by suicide bombers compared to number of israelis? Indeed, how many people have been killed by suicide bombers, compared to how many Palastinians die of poverty or through Israeli retalition?

Why do YOU think they do it? Do you think they're naturally 'evil' or 'sick' people? I think they are serverly misguided in their actions, but I can understand why they would see themselves as justified in doing so.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 23, 2004, 07:53   #7
Cruddy
Warlord

That's no "explanation".

I'm all in favour of putting myself in other people's shoes - but that's a mental exercise.

It's so trite and easy to say "I know how you feel." What we mean is "We have an IDEA of how you feel".

I've tried - I've REALLY tried - to put myself in a suicide bomber's position, and the answer is the same. "I don't know".

For me, the answer would be a campaign against Israeli POLICY, not the POPULATION...

This woman yacking has at least made me think about it more.
Old January 23, 2004, 09:25   #8
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Quote:
For me, the answer would be a campaign against Israeli POLICY, not the POPULATION...
This is what you get when people want to influence a democracy but can't vote. Their only course of action is to make life for those who can vote so unpleasant that the electorate choose politicians who offer a means of resolving the situation.

I don't agree with the tactics but I don't see much else working for the Palestinians to give them a reasonable settlement. Unfortunately this has now been taken over by the more militant types for whom it represents a means of political power within the Palestinian population and who stand to lose rather than gain from a negotiated settlement.

It's actually a relief to hear a politician say something controversial but not entirely stupid or irrelevant and then defend it.
Old January 23, 2004, 10:51   #9
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 12:37
Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV

This is what you get when people want to influence a democracy but can't vote. Their only course of action is to make life for those who can vote so unpleasant that the electorate choose politicians who offer a means of resolving the situation.
But in fact at various times Israel has had more moderate politicians in office, and when the Pals didnt get what they wanted in negotiations, they used violence, and the Israeli electorate dumped the doves. See the loss of Peres to Netanyahu in 1996, and of Barak to Sharon in 2001. The bombers are, electorally speaking, the best friend the Israeli right has.

See theres a basic misunderstanding - folks seem to think that Israel wants the territories cause they want the land and resources, or for religious reasons, and if there was enough violence they would leave. Only a small minority want the territories for such reasons - most who support holding the territories do so for security reasons - they will let go WHEN they see no threat, and will hold them AS LONG as the terrorist threat goes on. You may not agree, but thats the reality of Israeli politics.
Old January 23, 2004, 10:56   #10
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

But in fact at various times Israel has had more moderate politicians in office, and when the Pals didnt get what they wanted in negotiations, they used violence, and the Israeli electorate dumped the doves. See the loss of Peres to Netanyahu in 1996, and of Barak to Sharon in 2001. The bombers are, electorally speaking, the best friend the Israeli right has.

See theres a basic misunderstanding - folks seem to think that Israel wants the territories cause they want the land and resources, or for religious reasons, and if there was enough violence they would leave. Only a small minority want the territories for such reasons - most who support holding the territories do so for security reasons - they will let go WHEN they see no threat, and will hold them AS LONG as the terrorist threat goes on. You may not agree, but thats the reality of Israeli politics.
From all the polls, the majority wants simply to build a wall and leave the territories-which is why the Sharon government oposed the west bank wall for so long before deciding to go with it due to popular demand. So you are correct, most israelis want to leave the territories- BUT right now, not later- as long as the wall is big enough.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 23, 2004, 11:07   #11
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

From all the polls, the majority wants simply to build a wall and leave the territories-which is why the Sharon government oposed the west bank wall for so long before deciding to go with it due to popular demand. So you are correct, most israelis want to leave the territories- BUT right now, not later- as long as the wall is big enough.

But as you well know, the security barrier will retain a significant part of the West Bank - thats why the Pals oppose it. To get them to go to a line that the Pals agree on too, they'll need to feel safer.
Old January 23, 2004, 11:30   #12
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
But as you well know, the security barrier will retain a significant part of the West Bank - thats why the Pals oppose it. To get them to go to a line that the Pals agree on too, they'll need to feel safer.
That is a caveat on the fact that most of the israeli public would in a second give up all of Gaza and 90% of the west bank today, as long as they are walled-even in todays security situation. Besides opposing the great disruption to palestinian lives such a wall represents, the Pal fear (and also the right-right wing fear) is that such a wall would become the border de-factor, and since it does retain the big suburban settlements, the pals lose land without negotiation.
Old January 23, 2004, 12:37   #13
lightblue
Warlord

She is sacked now - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3421669.stm

Too right too i might add. I do not sympathise with Israeli policies most of the time, but expressing implicit support for the actions suicide bombers is a step too far.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old January 23, 2004, 12:47   #14
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Shes not really been sacked, merely asked to leave the shadow (shadow) cabinet. She will still work as an MP, but was planning on quitting that for good next general election anyway.

I don't think what she said was really support for homicide. To find any solution to the Palestine problem, you have to understand all the factors that drive them to it.

If my grandparents had been forced out of their homes in the 40s, I had grown up under that legacy, and had my fervent religious teachers telling me this was the thing to do, then I could fully understand the desire to become a suicide bomber.

That doesn't mean I support what they do, just as Tonge didn't support it.
Old January 23, 2004, 13:12   #15
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

I second Drogue.

If I were a Palestinian, I may well be a suicide bomber. That does not make me a bomber now, nor does it make me support their actions, or in any way justify them. However, in their incredibly desperate situation, one may resort to that. It is not an excuse for suicide bombers, but merely an explanation that she is highlighting, instead of the "they are inherently anti-Israel, anti-Jew, anti-West, anti-Good" BS that we are being made to swallow.

Her treatment isn't very liberal of the liberals. Damn and I was hoping they wouldn't play politics.

Does anyone here actually think that this woman is supporting suicide bombers? If so... . You people need to have an understanding of complex arguments that can account for two things, or have limits, instead of jumping on the simplistic bandwagon of "HYPOCRITE!!!" .
Old January 23, 2004, 13:40   #16
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Interestingly enough, it seems Tonge has spent some time working in Israel in her old role in the cabinet. She was in Gaza 6 months ago when there was an airstrike against a Hamas leader in the city.

http://www.libdems.org.uk/index.cfm/...e/article.4821

This puts her in a much stronger position to comment on motive for suicide bombing, after seeing the effects of Israeli policies firsthand.

I think Kennedy was wrong to let her go. This may get some bad press, but others will be thankful attention has been drawn to this subject.
Old January 23, 2004, 13:53   #17
Ned
King

Local Time: 08:37
How can the Brits who slaughtered millions of German civilians in the last war for the purposes of revenge and to futher their war aims even begin to legitimately show outrage at the pro-homicide bomber position of this grandmother.
Old January 23, 2004, 14:03   #18
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
How can the Brits who slaughtered millions of German civilians in the last war for the purposes of revenge and to futher their war aims even begin to legitimately show outrage at the pro-homicide bomber position of this grandmother.
So in the Nedaverse, the only people capable of making any complaints about anyone else are....the Amish perhaps?
Old January 23, 2004, 14:05   #19
Ned
King

Local Time: 08:37
If the Brits apologized for their crimes to the people of Germany, my views on the Brits would moderate.
Old January 23, 2004, 14:07   #20
Snotty
King

Like saying, 'We are sorry, we did some really awful stuff too' ? Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.
Old January 23, 2004, 14:15   #21
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
Quote:
the only people capable of making any complaints about anyone else are....the Amish perhaps?
Old January 23, 2004, 14:43   #22
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Ned, aren't all bombers who kill people homocide bombers?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 23, 2004, 14:54   #23
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Quote:
Perhaps I, being born 40 years after WWII, am not representative for the actions of the nations in which I live, during that war?
Old January 23, 2004, 15:02   #24
The Andy-Man
Prince

well SHE is a LIBERAL DEMOCRAT after all.

A formidibal combo at the best of times
Old January 23, 2004, 15:28   #25
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Has the US apologised for Hiroshima/Nagasaki?
Old January 23, 2004, 15:32   #26
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
Interestingly enough, it seems Tonge has spent some time working in Israel in her old role in the cabinet. She was in Gaza 6 months ago when there was an airstrike against a Hamas leader in the city.

http://www.libdems.org.uk/index.cfm/...e/article.4821

This puts her in a much stronger position to comment on motive for suicide bombing, after seeing the effects of Israeli policies firsthand..
Or seeing the effects of the PA's policies, from an alternative point of view.
Old January 23, 2004, 15:36   #27
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
Shes not really been sacked, merely asked to leave the shadow (shadow) cabinet. She will still work as an MP, but was planning on quitting that for good next general election anyway.

I don't think what she said was really support for homicide. To find any solution to the Palestine problem, you have to understand all the factors that drive them to it.

If my grandparents had been forced out of their homes in the 40s, I had grown up under that legacy, and had my fervent religious teachers telling me this was the thing to do, then I could fully understand the desire to become a suicide bomber.

That doesn't mean I support what they do, just as Tonge didn't support it.
so if this eminent MP had been brought up in a right wing orthodox Israeli family she might have become a settler, and if as a settler she had seen friend and relatives murdered, she might have become an anti-arab racist, an advocate of the expulsion of the Palestinians, or worse. Did she mention that in her speech??? Obviously the statement was more than a though exercise to prove that all human actions have causes - it was an attempt to show sympathy for the perpetrators of certain actions, and to implicity excuse them, in whole or in part.
Old January 23, 2004, 15:40   #28
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

That is a caveat on the fact that most of the israeli public would in a second give up all of Gaza and 90% of the west bank today, as long as they are walled-even in todays security situation. Besides opposing the great disruption to palestinian lives such a wall represents, the Pal fear (and also the right-right wing fear) is that such a wall would become the border de-factor, and since it does retain the big suburban settlements, the pals lose land without negotiation.

but its those suburban settlements that are in land that is considered to have strategic value to Israel - that land is largely what the dispute is about, not the remote settlements, or the right of the Pals to a state.
Old January 23, 2004, 15:45   #29
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Surely the "debate" is centered around the Israelis wanting to continue to oppress and humiliate the palestinians when the only morally acceptable move would be to get the **** out of there, now, without any caveats of any kind and pay the pals shitloads of money for all the pain that's been caused to them for the past 50 years?
Old January 23, 2004, 15:45   #30
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
Surely the "debate" is centered around the Israelis wanting to continue to oppress and humiliate the palestinians when the only morally acceptable move would be to get the **** out of there, now, without any caveats of any kind and pay the pals shitloads of money for all the pain that's been caused to them for the past 50 years?
No, its not.