Old January 23, 2004, 11:24   #1
USA #1
Settler

Local Time: 16:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What's your favorite Civ to play?
Let's start a post to talk about what your favorite civ is and why. Feel free to be candid and detailed here.

Last edited by USA #1; January 23, 2004 at 11:32.
USA #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 12:12   #2
vmxa1
None yet.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 12:20   #3
AAHZ
GameLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 12:40
i used to be heavily dependant on the religious trait, but after i broke that bad habit, i just leave my civ choice to the computer as i leave it on random. now i can take any civ they give me
Old January 23, 2004, 12:50   #4
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The English, I am enjoying the seafaring side of life.
Old January 23, 2004, 13:20   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 11:40
as of right now, the Byzantines, but i haven't explored all the new civs to a great degree.
Old January 23, 2004, 13:39   #6
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 10:40
I've been enjoying the Spanish, and Japan is always good, but my favorite really is Random. With the minor nerf to Industrious, I don't really pine for it like I used to.
Old January 23, 2004, 13:43   #7
USA #1
Settler

please don't forget to post WHY they are your favorite civs
USA #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 13:46   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I like most civs now, but the last four games I've played have been, in order, Dutch, byzantine, english and currently Spanish. (hmmm)

With the change to industrious and the SGL and corruption changes (commercial), the traits seem much more balanced to me now.

Actually, I love the dutch. The trait combo is quite powerful, highly developed at home, but able to project power overseas quite easily. And their UU is very handy, a real ***** to deal with in the AI's hands.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 18:40   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I like soooo many. Prolly have to be Scandy, though, just for the bloody Berserk fun.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 19:00   #10
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:40
I hate to answer questions like this one with any kind of definitive answer. For some reason any type of 'Fav Civ' post makes me think that someone just wants to know shortcuts or something like that.

My personal opinion is that each civ has its own strengths/weaknesses. Some trait combos are especially good on certain map types, some are worse. It just depends upon each player's style of play and, to a (sometimes) lesser extent, the map.

There's no 'Best Civ'. At least not that I can tell here in the Apolyton community. Lots of the posters here, I'm sure, could kick my butt several times over even if I were playing 'The Best' civ and they were playing 'The Worst' one.

It's more of a matter of what a particular civ can do in the hands of which player.

My favorite Civ is the next one because by the time I get well into my game, I start thinking about how I can do even better the next game.

Just my opinion,

Steven
Old January 23, 2004, 19:12   #11
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I started out with the French, mostly because that was my heritage. After adjusting to the rather alarming shade of pink that Firaxis chose for my Gallic kin (thanks loads, fellas), I found that they neatly fit my playing style--perfectionist builder, avoiding conflict if at all possible. Com/Ind was nice and simple and easy to work with, and I didn't feel like I had to go out and kick butt with my UU, due to it being practically useless. Wonder GA were no problem.

Now with C3C, Ind is toned down a touch, but I still enjoy the French--the UU has been beefed up quite a bit, but I still tend to be peaceful. Right now, I'm playing my first game as the Yanks, and I am kicking ass like crazy. Exp gave me an early tech lead that I never relinquished. It should end pretty soon.
Guynemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 20:54   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Hmmm... Guynemer raises a good point. At a minimum, the question should be framed into styles, e.g.: What is your fav civ as 1) builder, 2) warmonger, or 3) opportunistic?

And to be honest, I just don't have enough experience with all the civs to properly answer those three questions.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 21:00   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Guynemer put me in mind of the Reservoir Dogs and Mr. Pink not liking that name.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 22:57   #14
Caesar2760
Chieftain

Well, my current game is as the Scandinavians, and I'm rather new to Conquests, but I've loved it so far. Mmmm, Berserker Armies (helped by being militaristic) versus Pikemen/Spearmen. Delicious.
Caesar2760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 00:46   #15
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Hmmm... Guynemer raises a good point. At a minimum, the question should be framed into styles, e.g.: What is your fav civ as 1) builder, 2) warmonger, or 3) opportunistic?

And to be honest, I just don't have enough experience with all the civs to properly answer those three questions.
Likewise.

I've also played with the Persians and the Aztecs (random starts), and while I enjoyed both, I had to alter my style pretty radically to play to the strengths of those civs (notably their UUs).

I just don't have enough experience with the others to make an informed comment.
Guynemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 01:53   #16
The Mad Monk
Emperor

As a solid builder, I've always liked the French, the Greeks, and the Babylonians.

Of the three, I liked the strong early defense and research speed the Greeks afforded, which usually allowed me to dominate in games fairly early on.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 04:23   #17
geniemalin
Chieftain

Definitely the Seafaring Civs - at the moment Byzantines, Portugal, England and the Vikings.

When I'm in the mood to be nasty and just go on a rampage I like the Zulus.
geniemalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 05:35   #18
ThunderH@mmer
Settler

personally i think the celts are the best.

The rel/ag combo is awsome becuase the traits come together perfectly for insane growth.
The ag trait means your cities will grow super fast so you can either get a empire of 7-12 pop cities really fast or spew out settlers that can actually use destert tiles in the ancient age.
while the rel trait lets you keep your cities happy with cheap temples and cathedrals (nothing more annoying then having to pump up the lux silder or hire clowns at the start of the game).

Also the UU is perfect for the type of the game the traits work best in. The +1 movement of the gallic swordsman means you wont find your wars suffering becuase its taking too long for reinforcments to cross your giant empire.
ThunderH@mmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 10:51   #19
MqsTout
Chieftain

Personally, I like the French. I like the combination of Industrious and Commercial (even after the slight nerfing). I also really enjoy their UU, which is even better now. It comes at a good time for me to like my GA.

I do play and like the other civs too, I've put a lot of play time in with the Carthaginians (though not since C3C). I have yet to pay with a 'seafaring' trait, but I expect I'll enjoy that one as well. The only one I'm not too keen on is Expansionist (but a lot of people out there will disagree with me).

There is a reason for me to pick _against_ a particular civ. The Carthaginians (even though I've played them a lot, I don't much anymore, heh), Zulu, Greeks, and many others etc... I don't like having their UU so early, especially a defensive one. It's too early to have a badly-timed GA. Egyptians, on the other hand, I've never built their UU. It expires too soon.
MqsTout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 11:45   #20
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by geniemalin
Definitely the Seafaring Civs - at the moment Byzantines, Portugal, England and the Vikings.

When I'm in the mood to be nasty and just go on a rampage I like the Zulus.
Wouldn't you rather be the Mongols if you're in a rampaging mood?
Old January 26, 2004, 11:51   #21
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

For demigod level

1) If I'm going to restart lacking the resource for my UU, the Iroquois, who now have alpha at the start, are good and the Persians work well, along with Cleo and her cheap UU.

2) If I'm going to tough it out no matter what, the Dutch seafaring trait and agriculture work well. Early contacts make it possible to get a tech lead and to trade vigorously in the early game, sometimes making life without warmongering barely possible.
Old January 26, 2004, 13:02   #22
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:40
I´m starting to like the dutch... good traits and starting techs and a nice UU
Your method equals wipe out
Fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 13:18   #23
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Koreans.
Old January 26, 2004, 13:22   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

Byzantines - you have to love those 4-move 2-attack lethal sea bombarding Galleys and Scientific sure doesn't hurt.
Old January 26, 2004, 16:02   #25
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 08:40
I'm psyched that, having skipped PTW, there are so many tribes to choose from, I probably won't ever come up with a clear favorite.

With the vagaries of the RNG, however, "random" has picked Mongols twice and Koreans 3-4 times.

Playing Mongols allowed me to try out Fascism (though I ultimately went for Democracy and a space victory) and has worked out quite well for the sort of limited warmongering C3C generally requires. I get a kick out of moving my Keshiks along mountains, too.

And I like the Hwa'chaa, which has encouraged me to use artillery more in all my games.

But I recently played a game as the French (which, again, due to the capriciousness of the RNG I had not played before) and had a sort of daring game where I had <1 stone-age military unit per city until gunpowder, and didn't really get a decent fighting force until cavalry. (Said fighting force used to fight one of those "litlle wars" to acquire strategic resources.)

[ok]
okblacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 16:32   #26
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

So far with Conquests, I've really like the Iroquois. Agr/Com is good for building, and the Mounted Warrior is good for fighting, making them solid all around.

I've also been playing Greece, who have an excellent combo for SGLs (com/sci).

I definitely intend to check out the revamped Celts soon.

I've played the Dutch and the Maya as well. They're fine, but I definitely prefer the Iroquois.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 16:47   #27
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 09:40
Even though Conquests has been out for two months, it's probably still too early for me to completely decide. I've spent more time with the Conquests, PBEMs, and democracy games than epic games.

But of the the epic games I've played so far my favorite is probably the Iroquois. I love the hybrid status as it has great builder traits as well as a powerful UU for warmongering.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 08:43   #28
geniemalin
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Wouldn't you rather be the Mongols if you're in a rampaging mood?
Nope. Firstly, I can't stand looking at Genghis. Secondly, I really like the Impi. It is a defence 2 unit with 2 moves, making it able to retreat or to move then pillage. Impis won't take cities but they can cover your offensie troops and/or defend your own cities and/or run around capturing workers, pillaging and causing havoc.

The Keshik OTOH is a pretty blah unit.
geniemalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2004, 01:27   #29
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by geniemalin

Nope. Firstly, I can't stand looking at Genghis. Secondly, I really like the Impi. It is a defence 2 unit with 2 moves, making it able to retreat or to move then pillage. Impis won't take cities but they can cover your offensie troops and/or defend your own cities and/or run around capturing workers, pillaging and causing havoc.

The Keshik OTOH is a pretty blah unit.
But if YOU are playing as the Mongols, you won't ever have to look at him during the game.
Old January 28, 2004, 02:18   #30
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Before Conquest I chose all Industr. civs, because it was so much better. I have yet to play an Epic Conquest game with the 'improved' industr. trait, so not sure if they're still my fav civs.