My computer just crashed and I lost everything
Now I can start all over again....
Old January 28, 2004, 08:42   #62
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A bit of warning about volcanoes: in my deceased game one of my workers was cleaning up the pollution when the volcano erupted again. The worker was killed. So beware!
Old January 28, 2004, 09:23   #63
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:58
Was the worker on an adjacent sqare?
Old January 28, 2004, 11:51   #64
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:58
MS, I feel your pain man!

This info should actually be in the DAR3 thread or something because it was later in the game, but I lost 3 Workers on about the third erruption of the Volcano. It also took-out my Iron! I can re-road/mine the Iron, but the lost Workers hurt the most.

Cort, I don't know about MS's Workers, but mine were on the Mountain adjacent to the Volcano.

Volcanos seem to have a 1-square range that might get 'lava'd' during an eruption. Sort of a ZoD (Zone of Destruction--or at least 'Possible Destruction')

Steven
Old January 28, 2004, 12:12   #65
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 12:58
Quote:
Interesting. I'll be very much enjoying to read your further DARs as you seem to be the only one not to build the capital on the starting spot. You are also playing on the same difficulty as me
*ahem* I also moved my capital from the initial start spot, and I was quite pleased with the way it worked out in the long run. Though, I am only playing at Monarch, so perhaps you don't deign to notice my game
Old January 28, 2004, 12:24   #66
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

That's why you should never tell what difficulty you're playing on until someone asks you...unless, of course, you're with Sid.

Dominae
Old January 29, 2004, 04:47   #67
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Disclaimer:

Ok I admit it. I only read half of the first page. When I saw page 2 I jumped right to that and as you can see, all the DARs on page 2 have the capital on the starting spot (same with the those on the first half).

My apologies to all those DAR's on the second half of the first page which I ignored. I promise to ignore the first half next time to even things out.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old January 29, 2004, 04:48   #68
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Disclaimer:

Ok I admit it. I only read half of the first page. When I saw page 2 I jumped right to that and as you can see, all the DARs on page 2 have the capital on the starting spot (same with the those on the first half).

My apologies to all those DAR's on the second half of the first page which I ignored. I promise to ignore the first half next time to even things out.

Good!

Old January 29, 2004, 07:19   #69
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cort Haus
Was the worker on an adjacent sqare?
It was on the mountain SW of the volcano, cleaning up an old lava flow....

PS: I am sure that one day the AI will stack a whole army near an active volcano...
Old January 29, 2004, 11:05   #70
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

Hello, i'm new to Apolyton, and this is my first Au course, and the Au mod. Any advice is welcome, and needed. The difficulty is emperor.
4000bc=settle on start point. build worker, research pottery@ 100%move worker west to BG
3950=road
3800=move to cow
3750=road
3600=worker built, both irrigate BG then Cow. Capital builds warrior
3550=settler from hut! move to BG next to marsh
3400=mine BG
3350=get pottery, research writing at 100%, Adrianople founded, build warrior then worker.
3300=warrior built, start on settler.
3250=one worker preps south western (via the BG) spot for new city, other road/mine other BG next to capital
3000=settler in capital, move south west to spot. Cap builds warrior
2850=caesarea built, builds 3 warriors, build spear in Adrian because of the three barbs in my land/onthe border.
2750 workers move to deforest contstatinople by deforesting western most and nortern most forests.
2710=cap builds granery
2550=deforest complete. gran in 5 turns, growth in 8, 'cos a BG and forest are being worked by the capital
2470=build settler in Adrian, which is now pop 2. A warrior covers the town.
2430=worker moves to BG next to the tabbacco, where the next city will be on turn 41.
2390=granery built, in one turn will be pop 3, start settler. warrior in Caesarea explores south , while spear explores north. Cae builds settler
2150=writing researched, settler built and ends turn on tabbacco, with a warrior, two settlers also due in 3 turns from the other towns. research ceremonial burial in 6 turns.

I would post a screenshot, but i don't know how to do this. I would also have built atleast one curragh, but i need the warriors to defend with, so did not have the time or shields. I know it's a little late but my mock exams have taken up most of the month.
Old January 29, 2004, 11:23   #71
steven8r
Prince

Krill,

To post a screen shot, capture the screen using the 'Print Scrn' key and then paste into Paint or (preferably) any other graphics program. Resize the image to no more than 800 pixels wide, and save as a .jpg. Then when you use 'Post Reply' there is a place where you can 'Browse' for your file.

Here's a few tips that could prove useful--also might be spoilers, so if you don't want to know more about this game/map then stop reading now.
=========================================

Build Curraghs ASAP and start exploring your coastline. You will meet some other civs. You can probably trade (at least one) of these 'other civs' for Ceremonial Burial, so I would suggest researching something else, like Map Making (allows you to build Dromon and Great Lighthouse) or Philosophy (allows free tech--don't know about the AU Mod)), or Literature (allows Libraries to increase Culture/Research, Great Library--gets you techs plus is very valuable trading fodder.)

The sooner you meet your neighbors, the sooner you'll get ahead (or at least equal) in techs. Don't bother researching any more 1st level techs, you should be able to trade for them. Boats are a key part of this map. Start using them ASAP. The Barbs aren't that aggressive in C3C. Just 1 or perhaps 2 defenders in a town should suffice.

Steven
Old January 29, 2004, 11:38   #72
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

Thanks. I could post a screen shot now, but it would be about 5 turns after, since i forgot to save.
Old January 29, 2004, 11:45   #73
steven8r
Prince

I don't think anyone would crucify you for a screenie a few turns past the date. I think (just be warned, I've gotten in trouble by 'thinking' before) that the date of 2150 is more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

(Hopefully Dominae won't flame me for this).
Has anyone ever been EXPELLED from Apolyton University????

Steven
Old January 29, 2004, 12:09   #74
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

I know I accidentally played through to 1990BC before stopping, so don't fret too much. I really like this format where the DARs come in stages - did we used to do it this way? It seems new and a good idea - once I've passed a certain phase, I can go back and read other's strategies and decisions without quite as much fear of spoilage as when entire DARs are posted all at once.

As far as Image Processing apps go, IrfanView is very easy to use and free.

Welcome aboard!
Old January 29, 2004, 12:39   #75
Krill
lifer
Deity

Ok, when ever i try to attach the screenie, so what do i do
Old January 29, 2004, 13:22   #76
ducki
King

Not sure what you're asking, so here's a step by step - don't be offended if it sounds pedantic.

1. Hit "PrintScreen" when you want to take a screenie.
2. Alt+Tab to (Image App)
3. Paste
4. Resize to 800x600 or smaller
5. Save as JPG
6. Click "Post Reply" next to "New Thread" at the top or bottom of all the responses here - this "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page won't do.
7. On the "Post Reply" page, there should be a textbox for your attachment with a "Browse" button next to it. Click Browse...
8. Select JPG and click Open on the dialog box
9. Click Submit on the "Post Reply" page.
10. Viola! Hopefully I remembered all that correctly and your screenshot is now on the page.

Again, don't take offense if this seemed pedantic, I just wasn't sure which part you were having trouble with and it took me forever to remember that "Quick Reply" didn't have the attachment option.

Hope this helps!
Old January 29, 2004, 13:28   #77
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 09:58
Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
I know I accidentally played through to 1990BC before stopping, so don't fret too much. I really like this format where the DARs come in stages - did we used to do it this way? It seems new and a good idea - once I've passed a certain phase, I can go back and read other's strategies and decisions without quite as much fear of spoilage as when entire DARs are posted all at once.

As far as Image Processing apps go, IrfanView is very easy to use and free.

Welcome aboard!
The current 'during action report' format with the multiple threads for each stage started after AU208. I think it was Dom's idea and it works very well for people who don't want to "read ahead". Those that want to read ahead and discover the strategies others used are certainly welcome to do so as well.

EDIT: Just checked to make sure my facts were straight and 402 was indeed the first AU course to use the DAR format

Last edited by Rhothaerill; January 29, 2004 at 13:36.
Old January 29, 2004, 13:33   #78
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 09:58
Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
I don't think anyone would crucify you for a screenie a few turns past the date. I think (just be warned, I've gotten in trouble by 'thinking' before) that the date of 2150 is more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

(Hopefully Dominae won't flame me for this).
Has anyone ever been EXPELLED from Apolyton University????

Steven
It is more of a guideline, but it's nice to be able to hit the targets. However, I don't think I have ever hit the first target (usually 2150bc) and remembered to stop and take a screenshot. I usually get involved and remember later on. This particular one I finally came close and overshot by only one turn. You'd think I'd remember by now.

As to being expelled, no. Only one poster came close as he was blatantly reloading and bragging that he was a grand master player and better than the rest of us because of it, but he never actually played an AU course
Old January 29, 2004, 13:34   #79
steven8r
Prince

Krill,

Assuming that you have a saved screenshot file,

Hit the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the screen.

Then just Browse for your file:

Then hit the "Submit Reply" button

Steven
Old January 29, 2004, 13:44   #80
Krill
lifer
Deity

Actually, i've taken the shot, but i can't ressize it to 800X600
Old January 29, 2004, 13:52   #81
ducki
King

In IrfanView, I think it's under
Image -> Resize/Resample
On the right half of the dialog there are several presets, one of which is 800x600.

In PhotoShop, IIRC, there's also an "Image" menu though it's been a while since I played in PS.
Old January 29, 2004, 14:04   #82
Krill
lifer
Deity

ok, here it is then
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	63115  
Old January 29, 2004, 17:38   #83
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
Not sure what you're asking, so here's a step by step ...

And also thanks to ducki and vmxa1 for pointing out Irfanview!
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old January 29, 2004, 18:07   #84
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You are welcome and the best thing is it is free.
Old January 29, 2004, 18:40   #85
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

AU Mod, Demigod level.

This is my first serious game on Demigod although I'd played a few Deity PTW games. But I had sense enough not to attempt any AU games on that level. It's just that some of the tweaks done to make the games interesting on Emperor or below would have made some of them somewhat more difficult than I would have liked to play. So I started this game hoping that we had an island of our own to play with rather than another civ starting 5 tiles away with the only source of iron just to keep things interesting before seafaring becomes important.

I can't live without exploration so I opted for the one square NW start and built a curragh straight away. Looking at F10, 5 out of 9 AI's start with pottery so I can hope to trade for that reasonably quickly. In my last Byzantine game, I got an SGL from ceremonial burial but that was not going to be repeated here . So Writing at 100% was the obvious choice.

As I'm in the southern hemishpere, my curragh went North, meeting the Sumerians and Hittites in 3300BC. A warrior met the Japanese only in 2590BC showing them to be dangerously close. At that stage, it wasn't obvious that they weren't on my landmass but I ignored that and hoped that they weren't. When I had the defenses to open a hut in 2310NC, I was gifted with a free settler.

Tech trading went well and I was able to trade for Writing when it had 8 turns left. That leaves me in a good position to get Map-making early. Expansion looks to be going well too and I'm thinking of taking Constantinople out to build the Lighthouse soon as I'm not sure when the AI are going to threaten it.

These are my notes. Although they have their usual clarity, they have the advantage of being written five days earlier than the rest of this DAR:

4000BC settler 7 worker 1
3950BC build, irrigate work the bg
3900BC work fish
3750BC worker to cow
3600BC Constantinople reaches size 2. labourer to bg. ent to 10%
3550BC labourers to fish,forest
3500BC Curragh out.
3450BC borders expand. ls to forest, irrigated cow(will be roaded in 2).ent to 20% curragh vaguely N
3400BC ls to fish, cow(expand in 2)
3350Bc worker to bg. see borders to NE
3300BC con to 3. warrior built. meet Sumerians. won't accept Alphabet and 10g for pottery: they know someone else. Aha, see hittite scout. alphabet to Sumeria for pottry to 20 gold. ent to 30%
3050BC settler
2950BC Adrian founded.
2900BC worker.
2630 Adrian builds warrior
2590BC meets Japan - at llast. Alph+pot for the wheel+wc+9 H TW for IW+25 S - TW++15 for masonry J masonry - cb+2
2310BC IW to Jap for Myst+4 gold. Myst to Sumeria for Writing+15 gold. Settler from hut!
2230BC Horsman sighted. Adrian builds settler. Ceasarea founded.
Things not mentioned include building a granary (with the help of two forest chops) and a settler in Constantinople after 2900BC.

This screenshot shows how certain I can be that the Japanese aren't on the same continent:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au512150bc.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	63135  
Old January 29, 2004, 19:17   #86
jkelly
Chieftain

This is a little late, I know
Playing Emperor, stock rules

Settled on the start, and, as I mentioned in the teaser thread, moved my worker over to the hut, while building a Warrior. Max science to Pottery. Hut gave me a Warrior, and I started exploring to the southeast. Worker made its way back to irrigate and road to the cow.

Second Warrior went north. Found out pretty quickly I was on an island. Had to start playing with the lux slider, (later started researching Writing at 50 turns). Second hut was barbs, beat all three by using that hill across the river in the swamp, but didn't get a single promotion. Did have one spot of good luck; while I was exploring the southern tip of the island, a Japanese warrior was standing on Mt. Fujikillyouall; a few turns later I negotiated a tech and money deal with the Japanese and found out my capital was sitting on horses, which saved me from financial ruin after my optimistic gpt deal.

Mt. Fujikillyouall exploded a few turns later, but I don't imagine it did Japan any damage; no city there, and the Warrior had probably moved along -- I certainly had and so don't know for sure.

When my first settler was completed after the granary, I was at 1 gold and losing 1pt -- I wanted the tasty spot with the whale, two squares from the lux, but with the cash problem, I moved him down those two roads and plopped him in the forest next to the coast. Made the creative decision to build a curragh; I've never had one before, and I wanted to check out this "power of seafaring". I was going to get another settler very shortly anyway.

Not micromanaging anywhere near what some people are, but more than I usually do; I want to cover this island with cities ASAP.

Third city site was the one I originally wanted, had a brief scuffle with a barb camp right on the spot, and *still no promotion*. If I don't have iron, it doesn't much matter I suppose, and it doesn't look like I will be finding that out for a while. Building a temple to push the borders out to the lux.

When the curragh was done, I had to chose between sending it to explore Japan or that bit of land I could see to the northwest. My decision was made for me when I found out Japan had Ivory listed as a luxury on the trade screen, which I was checking compulsively. Switched to a Temple, with the idea that one of these two coastal cities might turn into a Colossus build at some point in the future, and I won't have the MP I usually do in an early game if I'm serious about a "fast as I can" invasion.
Old January 30, 2004, 04:55   #87
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Nice Nor Me,

Let me commend you on not buiding the capital on the starting stop, now let me duck while all those who posted their DAR's on the second half of the first page throw byzantine rocks at me...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old January 30, 2004, 05:28   #88
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Nice Nor Me,

Let me commend you on not buiding the capital on the starting stop, now let me duck while all those who posted their DAR's on the second half of the first page throw byzantine rocks at me...

* Arnelos throws some Byzantine rocks at Master Zen!

Old January 30, 2004, 06:44   #89
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill

Only one poster came close as he was blatantly reloading and bragging that he was a grand master player and better than the rest of us because of it, but he never actually played an AU course
I (almost) miss him It would have been interesting to see him winning by domination at the end of this DAR
Old January 30, 2004, 17:56   #90
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Ok I decided I just had to play this one, although I must admit I did read some of the this thread before I started.

I built on the hill then went warrior, warrior, granary, settler, settler, worker, worker. Mining both BGL before irrigating the cow.
Then pretty much settlers for a while.

I built the first city SE of the wheat and set it to build granary then workers eventually taking the fish from the capital.

The next city was built near the game and was devoted to millitary, as there were no other AI on the island I didn't bother with barracks.

The forth city was built on the BGL to the west of the capital and built curraghs. Although it wasn't founded untill 1990bc.

With my main requirements met with these 4 cities I decided the rest should build curraghs and the odd worker/warrior.

At this point I made the decision that my island would be enough for my nation to prosper for the rest of time. It wasn't alot of land but I typically prefer empire building to war. Also I figured I could use the seafaring trait best by minimilizing ground forces and relying on a navy for defence. Then later using surgical strikes to pick up resources especially as the dromon is so cool at bombarding cities.

No pic as I'm currently in 1000bc but I had 3 cities at 2150bc, 1 NW and 1 SE.