Old February 26, 2004, 17:13   #181
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yup people are reading them, maybe not every post and every word, but still taking a look.
Old February 27, 2004, 04:19   #182
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 02:58
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Yep, there's a lot of us lurkers out there in the ether hungry for civ anecdotes!
Old February 27, 2004, 16:19   #183
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

DAR1

OK, here goes my first AU DAR. I'm a ReNoob, playing C3C after a long layoff from Civ3 (I was playing actively when Vel Part 3 was posted). I'm here to learn. So AU501, Stock, Monarch Level. Yeah, I know I'm a wimp, but that's one up from my customary Regent level. Naturally, I misplaced the first page of my notes, so detailed notes start at 2800 BC.

Initial Plan: Build Constantinople on the coastline to get the Seafaring bonus and an early curragh to meet the neighbors. Use the worker to pop the first hut, wasting possible building turns, or use the first warrior and risk barbs on my doorstep. Then start building roads to planned city sites... Build the second city within 3 tiles (one move) of the capital, NW to use the Wheat, possibly at point-blank range on the tobacco.

Initial Results: Poor. Yes, I used a warrior and popped barbs who killed the warrior and looted Constantinople. Woke from that bad dream and used the worker, but at the cost of a lot of turns of road building. Too cramped with Adrianople two tiles away, making it hard to run a pump. I actually ran that all the way out to 2150 BC, and started over.

The New Plan: Build on the spot and let the culture border pop the hut. Starting build: worker-warrior-(warrior)-granary, then pump settlers (but what a long wait for the first settler!) Pottery first for Granary, then beeline for Philosophy.

New Initial Results: Better. Popped a warrior from the first hut [baleful glare at those who popped settlers], and maps from the swamp hut (IIRC). Barbs duly promoted my conscript (skilled warrior, my eye).

2950 BC - Warriors have explored almost all of the island, and roads to city sites are well underway. One worker chopping forest for the Granary.

2800 BC - Warriors have sighted borders to the NE and the SW, and Theodora wants boats to play with. The cow is well watered. Now two warriors chopping for the Granary, but my timing is off, and I will lose either shields or turns of effort. The second chopper is one turn behind the first, with 1 & 2 turns to go. Con(stantinople) produces 5s, Granary in 5 (25s). So one turn gives 15s, leaving 10...OH! And Con grows in 2 at 3f needing 5. So when Con grows, +2s. With the second chopper, that's 5+2+10s, wasting either 7s or 2 turns of chopping. OK, we basically traded 5s for one turn. [Hey, Ducki, what was that you said about excessive MM???]

[Screenshot below if I can figure it out.]

2710 BC - Next question: priming the pump. Only 3f in the box, 17f to grow. Need 30s for Settler. Some combos: 5f+5s, 4f+6s, 3f+7s...and 2s from growth. So 7+7+7+7+2=Settler, BUT at 3 fpt, growth occurs when the Settler is done, wasting those shields. Anyway, 3f+7s for 5t = 15f, 35s, wasting another 5s. Hmm...one turn of 3f+7s leaves 12f/23s. At 4f+6s, growth 3 and Settler 4...and don't forget the lux slider at growth...but an MP is arriving...AIEEEEE!!

2510 BC - 1st Settler, sent NW to tobacco. Con Pop 3 with 5 of 10 in the box. (OH. That's the 3.5 in the pump equation!)

2470 BC - Adrianople founded on coastal tobacco; start curragh-warrior-curragh? Con is up to Pop 5, empty food, 24s to Settler. More calculations as I screw up the pump...can't get the hang of this thing.

2430 BC - Road done on wheat; irrigate or mine? Irrigate gives 4f and another pump with shields from bonus grass and forest.

2310 BC - 2nd Settler, 4-2-1 to coastal forest next to cow. Con Pop 4, 5/5 = Growth. Barb lurking east of Mount Hermann, named for the consort of Theodora. "Behind every great woman..."

Caesarae built; warrior-curragh-settler?

2150 BC - 40 turns, 3 cities, 1 turn from 4th settler...looking enviously at the 5-city empires of many DAR1s, but I think 5 required a hut settler, though those skilled with the pump have 4 cities without.
Old February 27, 2004, 16:31   #184
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Well, my 800x600 JPG disappeared when I previewed the post. One more try. Maybe I should use something smaller? I thought this size was OK. 155KB.
Old February 27, 2004, 17:32   #185
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It was not the size. They had run out of room in the DB for users and have fixed it. Try again.
Old February 27, 2004, 18:10   #186
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends! Once more!"

-- Henry V
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au501 2800bc.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	155.7 KB