Old January 27, 2004, 16:32   #31
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by cracky
975BC: First Dromon built in Adrianople. I have only three warriors built to upgrade to swordsmen. Constantinople is building a barracks and then swordsmen. I have several cities working on temples, but I think I’ll switch those to barracks and get busy on some Japan bashing. Hopefully this campain will be over before Japan gets map making...

Overview: I have seven cities, ten workers. Almost every worked tile is improved. I’m about to gear up for an elimination war with Japan. I’ll do this before settling the two islands to the west. 14 turns until Monarchy. I have contact with 6 other Civs, and have between a tech parity and a large tech advantage over them all

Again, any and all advice is appreciated. I just recently moved up to monarch after getting a little bored with the easy wins on Regent. So far I haven't quite adjusted to the greater number of units the AI is likely to have on Monarch which leads to under-manned invasions. Hopefully it won't happen this time.
I will look for updates on your game, since we are using similar city spacings on the home island.

Good focus on killing Japan. Your instincts are correct. Get over there.

Do you have a granery in Constantinople? That will come in very handy when you go to settle the Western Isles.
Old January 28, 2004, 00:11   #32
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 09:58
Great read of all AARs! It's fabulous to see so many players playing AU 501, and we seem to have a good mix of difficulty levels and AU Mod vs. stock rules.

I'm skipping this AAR because, though I've a fair number of curraghs out and about, I haven't yet upgraded a curragh / galley nor built a dromon, but I have made contact with all civs. Taking up the tale in AAR 3.

Catt
Old January 28, 2004, 12:29   #33
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 12:58
Theodora’s Smile: Part 3
When we last left Theodora, she had just had a terrible date with Tokugawa, so she decided it was time to start seeing someone else. She sent her Curraghs to the east, and she soon discovered the lands of Summeria in 1870 BC. Gilgamesh, their leader, was not as cute as Toku, but she decided to give him a chance. After all, he already knew how to write, while her scientists were still trying to figure that out. She watched him write (signing the check at dinner), and told her scientists how he did it. A few years later, in 1725, Byzantine scientists proclaimed that they had discovered Writing. Theodora taught Tokugawa how to write (so he can pay for her dinner too), and he was so impressed that he taught her Mysticism and the Wheel.

In 1625 BC, Byzantine Curraghs met the Hittites, who seemed to be in a bloody war against Sumeria. Mursilis and Gilgamesh were probably fighting over her, Theodora thought. That was a nice boost to her ego. She was going to be friends with both of them for now, and then see how it works out.

Theodora’s triple dating worked out quite well. She gave Tokugawa’s Mysticism to Mursilis in exchange for Iron Working, and then sold the same Mysticism to Gilgamesh in exchange for all his cash. She the turned back to Tokugawa and taught him Iron Working in exchange for Horseback Riding and all his cash, and then exchanged Horseback Riding for Masonry with Gilgamesh.

In the end, Theodora was had 209g in the bank. Tokugawa and Mursilis were bankrupt and Toku didn’t even know Masonry. Gilgamesh had 16g and he knew Literature. Triple dating was such a success that when Byzantine scientists discovered Philosophy in 1250, Theodora started another round of trading. She gave Philosophy and Masonry to Japan for Polytheism and all Tokugawa’s cash. She sold Philosophy and Polytheism to Gilgamesh for Map Making and Code of Laws and some cash. Mursilis was too poor and too clueless to provide her with any benefit from trading.

Theodora then had enough cash to establish an embassy with Sumeria. Her ambassador told her that Japan still had no knowledge of Summeria. An exploring Japanese Curragh was sunk by a barbarian Galley just as it was about to make contact with the eastern island.

The age of Philosophy in Byzantium sparked an interest in science, and Mathematics were instantly mastered as a result. But Theodora was careful to keep her friend Tokugawa from learning Math, as she had heard legends speak of the awesome power that comes from solving differential equations using pens made out of ivory.

In 1150 BC, eastbound Curraghs survived a sea crossing and discovered Egypt. Not only Cleopatra was not as cute as Theodora, but she was terribly backwards. She bought Warrior Code for 109 gold.

Despite all this success in her personal relationships, Theodora was beginning to realize that her Byzantine Empire was not as glorious as she had hoped. The largest projects she had managed to fund were a couple of granaries, while other civilizations were completing Great Wonders right and left: France built the Colossus in 2310, the Oracle in 1790, and the Temple of Artemis in 1075. Theodora hadn’t met these famous French yet, but she would be willing to bet that such a glorious civilization was being lead by a woman. The Maya built the Pyramids in 1650, and the Great Wall in 1050, and England built the Hanging Gardens in 1050. "What? Another Gardens fanatic? England’s leader must be another female" she exclaimed. With all her landscaping efforts at home, that sounded like a great Wonder to Theodora! Even neighboring Sumeria and Japan built the Great Library in 1325, and the Mausoleum of Mausallos in 1050, respectively.

Back at home, Theodora kept hiring workers to complete the landscaping of her gardens. At 1000 BC, there were 25 different worker units employed throughout the empire. The great marshlands of the north were being converted to beautifully groomed lawns.

Tokugawa was acting a little strange lately, probably because he was starting to suspect her friendship with Mursilis and Gilgamesh. The situation deteriorated so much that she had to hire 19 Warriors to protect her. Unfortunately, something will have to be done about her jealous neighbor, and soon. She wondered how many Dromons she should need to transport 20 Swordsmen to pay a visit to Tokugawa…
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au501bc1000.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	63042  

Last edited by alexman; January 28, 2004 at 12:39.
Old January 28, 2004, 13:20   #34
steven8r
Prince

Alexman, I really enjoy your naratives.

Sure, I get lots of good technical, turn-by-turn info from the other posts, but it's refreshing to read yours.

* steven8r presents Alexman with the 'AU105 Narrative Award' (at least inasmuch as it is mine to give.)

Steven
Old January 28, 2004, 13:34   #35
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
Alexman, I really enjoy your naratives.
Sure, I get lots of good technical, turn-by-turn info from the other posts, but it's refreshing to read yours.
I agree - I wish I had the focus to take my turn-by-turn notes and craft an informative yet interresting narrative, but my time is limited.
Quote:
* steven8r presents Alexman with the 'AU105 Narrative Award' (at least inasmuch as it is mine to give.)
Steven
I'd also like to award him the AU 501 Narrative Award.
Really great stuff, alexman. What do you do when you're not crunching numbers noone else wants to crunch and turning play-by-play notes into stories? Climb Mt. Everest? Decode the human genome? Build Gantt charts that allow you to do all this great stuff? (Just messing with ya, great stuff, great effort.)
Old January 28, 2004, 14:47   #36
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

OK we all know that I'm a hopeless civ addict. No need to rub it in!

Old January 28, 2004, 17:28   #37
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
... as she had heard legends speak of the awesome power that comes from solving differential equations using pens made out of ivory.
Especially enjoyed this part!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old January 28, 2004, 18:49   #38
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

This is the only group I've ever been in where I've not felt I was geeky enough
Old January 29, 2004, 14:30   #39
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

Local Time: 17:58
Posting this after Alexman wrote that beautiful article, this is definately going to be boring, and nowhere near his level of detail. (This is because the last article got deleted) After building several curraghs from the towns that were newly founded, I met Japan, who had the wheel, war. code, and mysticism. Then I met Sumeria, who had the same as japan, and masonry, iron working and writing. Seeing as i was researching philosophy, i had nothing to trade with them. So i traded writing to Japan for all of their techs and some gold. When i met Egypt and Russia, i was at tech parity 11 turns after discovering Sumeria. The techs not discoverd were Construction, currency, monarchy, republic, and code of laws.
I proceeded to build up my island, because i had enough time to do it and build up my military if i kept Japan in the dark, who were going to be leaving before they reach the next era.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	dar2 screen.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	63118  
Old January 29, 2004, 19:15   #40
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 16:58
Previous DAR AU Mod, Demigod.

Not much to say in this DAR, I built the Lighthouse, expanded a bit and researched Map Making.

Constantinople built another settler in 1950BC. In the same year, Paris built the Colossus so I started the Lighthouse. Sumeria tried to extort 28 gold in 1750BC so they started a war. I wasn't scared as it was some time before I saw a curragh but they were insulted by a peace treaty for centuries. The Maya built the Pyramids in 1550BC. At that time the Sumerians had literature and I was worried about running out of prebuilds for the Lighthouse in my capital. Luckily the Japanese discovered polytheism shortly after which shows that the AU mod is useful for something. I then had to worry about trading for it but by the time Paris built the Oracle in 1450BC (So that's where the SPHQ is going), the Sumerians had discovered it as well.

I discovered Map making in 1375BC and built the great Lighthouse the same turn using "What's the big picture". My one curragh had looked for a likely sea lane to go north and Constantinople followed with a 2-turn harbour and Dromon.

I had to use archers to deal with the barbarians in the North. They also dealt with those from the other hut.

I started researching Monarchy as I need to attack relatively soon and the Japanese and Sumerians have curraghs wandering around so there's a risk of an early GA.

2030BC H wri for HBR+17
1950BC con buuilds settler starts on col.
1750BC Sumeria declares war after failure to pay tribute!
160BC Japanese Curragh sighted!
1425BC japan accepts writing for poly+31g oracle just built.
1350BC discover Map-mapking. Constantinople reaches 300 shields for GL that turn!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au51dromon.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	63136  
Old January 30, 2004, 18:46   #41
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Upgraded first Dromon in 850bc. At which point I've built all the cities I'm going to build and have been building workers instead. Aswell as a good navy.

I have 7 curraghs and 1 dromon and most cities will be building harbours, library, aqua in that order.

Adrainopole has been building 2 turn workers for something like 30 turns now

Also I was kinda lucky with curraghs, my first one made it through the sealand to the Mayans and french. I missed out on the free tech from phil but have more than made up for it with trades to other nations.

As the aztecs have spare ivory I'm prebuilding zeus in my capital.

Having to clear wetland before building cities sure is a pita.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	audromon.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	63195  
Old January 30, 2004, 18:56   #42
jkelly
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:58
Very short update
Not much to report, as I got a Dromon pretty quickly after completing the 50-turn Writing project that I had been working on so long.

Japan beat me to writing, but my exploring Curraghs encountered Sumeria and the Hittites only two turns before I would be done with it. With Writing to trade, I was first in tech the turn afterwards.

My Curraghs made their way to my southeastern whaling city, which switched production to a Harbour. I immediately cranked tech to get to Philosophy first, although I imagined the wonder-building civs I kept getting notices about had already got there. It was a gamble.

It paid off in a very big way. Getting Philosophy gave me Mathematics, and one of those techs gave me a SGL! I traded Philosophy to Japan for a tech (HR?) and Ivory, pop-rushed a Horseman in Constantinople to clear out the production box, and used the SGL to build the Statue of Zeus.

I started researching Polytheism, both because Monarchy seemed the better choice for the next few centuries, and because I had been doing very well with the tech-whoring so far. I was hoping to move fast enough to keep Japan penned in.

I knew there was not much chance of getting to Monarchy before triggering my GA if I really wanted to pressure Japan early. I don't know how often I am going to play Byzantium, so I may as well use those Dromons when they're at their peak. It may not be the most strategic decision, but it fits with why I am playing the AU course in the first place.

I upgraded my first Curragh to a Dromon, and started building a fleet of them, as Japanese Galleys were now sighted. A Horseman and Ancient Cavalry invasion of Japan was the next order of business.
Old January 31, 2004, 04:47   #43
Thrar
Warlord

Here's my second DAR. This one covered relatively many turns i think, but the third one is a bit shorter. Here is the first DAR .

2070BC: contact with Japan.

around 1500BC: contact with Sumeria, trade Writing for Masonry and CB to Sumeria, Writing+Masonry for The Wheel and Mysticism to Japan. Sumeria has Polytheism, but lacks The Wheel.

1450BC: completed research of Code of Laws, next will be Philosophy. All land except the marsh is settled (8 cities), there are some barbs around, i have to kill them before i can use the marsh. Constantinople is now a worker pump, everything else builds temples.

This is the earliest screenshot i have from the game:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au501 - 1450bc.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	63227  
Old January 31, 2004, 04:51   #44
Thrar
Warlord

and here is the second part:

1375BC: contact with the Maya. CoL for Mathematics, then CoL+Wheel to Sumeria for Polytheism, and Polytheism to Maya for Iron Working.

1300BC: contact with the Hittites. Masonry and Mysticism to them for Horseback Riding and 69 gold.

1275BC: contact with England. They are way behind in tech, but have 107 gold, so i give them Writing.
Established embassies with everyone now. According to F11 i'm #1 in GNP and Mfg.Goods, but only 4th in population. Since i'm larger than the ones i know, the three remaining civs might be quite strong.

1075BC: the Dutch complete the Mausoleum of Mausollos. So much for the CoL gamble. Contact with Egypt, sold The Wheel for 27 gold.

1050BC: WTF?? A city on MY island is flipping to Japan!

975BC: Researched Philosophy. Contact with Russia. They have both Map Making and Literature, plus 197 gold. Philosophy, CoL and Mathematics gives me all of that. Nobody wants to make a RoP with me for free, i guess i'll have to take parts of Japan to get some more land.

950BC: Mayans have Construction. RoP, 44g and Construction for Philosophy and HBR.

925BC: Monarchy and 17g from Sumeria for Philosophy, Lit, Math and IW.

670BC: declared war on Japan to take back Nicaea. Investigators said they have 2 spears; 3 archers and 3 warriors should be enough for that.

650BC: Nicaea taken. Lost 1 archer in the process, captured 1 worker.

630BC: first Dromon built. I researched Republic a while ago, but with my 17 workers and some military for 9 cities, the support cost would kill me. Once i finished developing my island, those workers can be joined into the cities, and then i'll trigger my GA on Japan. This also should give me enough time to build troops for an invasion.
Here is what it looks like now:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au501 - 630bc.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	63228  
Old January 31, 2004, 17:16   #45
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

AAR, part 2 (without things like chopping forests and messing with the luxury slider). Actually a little longer - I don't have a 'first dromon' save.

2150 BC (cont.): Writing, start Philosophy
2110 BC: Wri to Sumeria for Myst, Mas; Myst to Hittites for 20g; Nicae founded
2030 BC: Embassy with Sumeria for 38g; Ur will finish Pyramids in 116t
1990 BC: Adrianople finishes barracks
1950 BC: Nicae finishes warrior
1870 BC: Sea lane E of Hittites; Adrianople finishes warrior
1830 BC: Barb camp; Border E of Hittites; Constantinople finishes temple, starts Pyramids

This is obviously a gamble, but I really wanted an ancient wonder with a lot of culture (at least 4) per turn. Another option would have been the Oracle, but I'd rather have a wonder that does something. Mausolos was out of reach for the moment. The Great Library (6 culture per turn) was a big no-no for two reasons: a) enjoying its main effect (free techs) would equal foregoing the chance to get SGL's (which is an even worse thing for scientific civs) and b) GL + Great Lighthouse (which I absolutely wanted to get) would mean a GA while I was still in Despotism. So it had to be the Pyramids.

1790 BC: Contact with Egypt, is backward; Alph to Egypt for 60g; Hittites have IW; Adrianople finishes warrior
1750 BC: Barb camp destroyed
1725 BC: Border SE of Egypt
1700 BC: Contact with Russia, is on par; Adrianople finishes curragh
1600 BC: Barb camp; Sumeria has Poly; Wri to Egypt for 14g
1575 BC: Barb camp
1550 BC: Barb horseman; barb camp destroyed; Adrianople finishes settler
1500 BC: Barb camp destroyed; Hittites have HR; curragh (NE of Russia) killed by stack of barb galleys
1475 BC: Japan's homeland is island with room for 5-6 cities
1450 BC: Caesarea finishes granary
1425 BC: Varna founded (on incense)
1375 BC: Nicae finishes temple
1350 BC: Russia has Lit; Amsterdam (Dutch) finishes Colossus
1325 BC: Embassy with Egypt for 46g; Thebes will finish Pyramids in 73t
1275 BC: Landmass in the W (uninhabited) is island with room for 5-6 cities; sea lane N of island; Nicae finishes worker
1225 BC: Caesarea finishes settler
1200 BC: Incense connected; Wri to Japan for Poly, 11g; Poly to Russia for Lit, 46g; Poly, Lit to Hittites for IW, 25g; iron revealed; curragh (N of uninhabited island) sinks in sea lane
1150 BC: Russia has CoL; Adrianople finishes temple; Nicae finishes worker
1075 BC: Smyrna founded
1050 BC: Constantinople finishes Pyramids (-> existing granaries sold); Adrianople finishes spearman
1000 BC: Caesarea finishes settler
975 BC: Philosophy, start Map Making

A tough choice. Because I had got Polytheism from Japan, Monarchy was already a research option. Monarch as a free tech would be a valuable trading item, and would also allow to get out of Despotism ASAP. The Hanging Gardens could be used as a pre-build for the Great Lighthouse while researching Map Making. OTOH, it would take longer to get / change to Republic, which I deemed a better suited government for a tech broker / builder strategy. (Okay, Japan would have to be destroyed, but that's another story.) Also, Philosophy (as in the AU mod) was good enough to be traded for all AI techs. So I opted for Map Making and crossed fingers.

975 BC (cont.): Map Making (free tech), start Republic; Constantinople finishes library, starts Great Lighthouse
950 BC: Phil to Russia for CoL; Phil to Hittites for HR, 38g
925 BC: Horses connected; Hattusas (Hittites) finishes Oracle
900 BC: Nicae finishes library
875 BC: Adrianople finishes library
825 BC: Japanese curragh; Heraclea founded
775 BC: Mas to Japan for 35g; Varna finishes temple
750 BC: Adrianople finishes harbor
710 BC: Hittites demand MM, I decline, they declare war
690 BC: Caesarea finishes library
650 BC: Adrianople finishes dromon
630 BC: Smyrna finishes library
610 BC: Russia and Sumeria have Mon
570 BC: Republic, start Mathematics; Constantinople finishes Great Lighthouse; Adrianople finishes spearman; Varna finishes harbor
550 BC: CoL to Egypt for 56g; Rep to Russia for Mon, 3g; Embassy with Russia for 91g; Moscow will finish Great Library in 17t; revolution (-> 4t anarchy)

7 cities (30 pop points)
Pyramids, Great Lighthouse
1 barracks, 7 granary (Pyramids!), 4 temple, 6 library, 2 harbor
4 worker, 3 warrior, 2 spearman, 1 dromon

Plans for the future:
a) Change to Republic,
b) Continue exploration (northern sea lane) and tech brokering,
c) Avoid triggering a GA for now, i.e. don't let Hittite curraghs attack dromons,
d) Get a foothold on the Japanese island and get their ivory, i.e. capture Osaka,
e) Build Statue of Zeus in Constantinople and test how strong Ancient Cavalry is in the AU mod.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au501_550bc.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	63260  
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old January 31, 2004, 18:53   #46
Tall Stranger
Warlord

OK, part II: I noticed that I failed to inform people during DAR 1 my level. I'm playing Emperor.

Up to this point, I've gotten 4 cities founded, and a couple more enroute. Pumping settlers, but only completed my first curragh at the end of the DAR1, so I have no foreign contacts.

2100BC: Varna founded next to the incense, and I immediately move a worker to hook it up. With any luck, I'll be able to relax using the luxury slider.

1950BC: I make my first foreign contact, with Japan. Toku gives me ceremonial burial and 17g for the Byzantine alphabet.

1910BC: I found Smyrna on the gold hill at the northern end of the island.

1830BC: Woo-hoo. I make contact with Sumeria, and trade writing to Gilgamesh for Mysticism, Masonry, Warrior Code and 10 measly gold. I then trade writing to Japan for The Wheel and 3g.

1790BC: City of Heraclea founded on the coastal hill on the far east side of the island. It's worth mentioning that a while back I chose to make a bee-line for Philosophy rather than researching MM directly. I figure that I can probably trade Phil for it, and worst case I'll use the free tech to get MM. I'm currently 25 turns from Phil at (obviously) max feasible research.

1725BC: Well, since I'm nowhere near MM and I'm running out of good room for cities, I've started cranking out workers so that I can start draining swamps. We'll see if this is a good use of my worker's time.

1625BC: I screwed up. I have floated past the Hittites at least once or twice, but thought they were stil the Sumerians so didn't contact them. (Colors aren't even THAT similar. I was just snoozing.) Formally make contact with them, but they're a backwater, with nothing of any value.

1575BC: The Great Marshland Reclamation Project proudly annouces the founding of the city of Trebizond on former SE corner of the marsh.

1450BC: Continuing to drain the northern swamps, I found Chalcedon on 3rd square north of Constatinople, next to the marsh fishies.

1325BC: Having found a possible seapath to another continent, a suicide curragh reaches Egypt. Cleo has Polytheism, but won't give it to me.

1275BC: The Department of World Conquest regrets to annouce the loss of our first curragh, in the trecherous seas between the island north of Japan and the one to its west. I'm one turn from Philosophy, so I check to see everyone's trading potential and, damn the luck, no one has Map Making. I'd rather use Phil to get Code of Laws, but dromons are much more valuable, given the large amount of space available and the fact that Japan is looking like a nice target.

1250BC: Philosophy is complete. I swallow my pride and take Map Making as my free tech. Start researching Code of Laws. Cleo still won't give me Polytheism, so I first trade alphabet (I think) and writing (successively) for a bunch of gold, the trade Philosophy to her for Polytheism. Next, I traded Phil and Poly to Sumeria for Mathematics, Literature and 59g. Next, I trade Lit to Japan for Horseback Riding & 22g. The Hittites still suck. Start building a couple of harbors, so I can upgrade curraghs.

1225BC: WOW. I sent a mega-suicide curragh pretty far north (several turns) and find the Maya. I trade Lit for Iron Working and 110g. Cool, I have a deposit and it's already roaded.

1200BC: Heraclea completes first harbor and I upgrade my first 2 curragh to dromon. I also meet Russia, who has nothing to trade.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good here. I've got a significant tech lead and my cities appear OK. Downside is that I've been really bad about Wonders pre-builds, and I'm still a good 58 turns to Great Lighthouse. Not convinced I'll get it.

Here's the screenshot of the home island. Mini-map shows that I've explored a respectable portion of the map.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au501 1200bc.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	63268  
Old February 3, 2004, 08:40   #47
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

2070BC – The Year of the Forgotten Allusion
“And then there were…, ah, MS, forget about it…” Theodora dixit.
[Our fourth city, Nicaea, was completed]

2030BC – The Year of the Clever Question
“But Ms, don’t you think that ‘Varna’ is a silly name for a bunch of mud huts?” Theodora dixit.
[Varna, our fifth city, was completed]

1990BC – The Year of the Squiggles
“Those squiggles have a real meaning? Amazing!” Theodora dixit.
[We discovered Writing, Philosophy at max. research]

1750BC – The Year of Half A Dozen
“Just let me know when we have twelve of them and can sell them on the market” Theodora dixit.
[Smyrna, our six city, was founded]

1700BC – The Year of the Triangles
“MS, do you really believe that those people live in triangular mud huts?” Theodora dixit.
[We discovered Egypt; sold Alphabet for 95 gold, + Mysticism]

1625BC – The Year of Diplomacy
“MS, I don’t understand. Why exchanging a bunch of spies should improve our relations?” Theodora dixit.
[We opened up embassies with all known civs, except Japan]

1570BC – The Year of the Tech Fair
“Buy, buy, buy, sell, sell, sell!” Theodora dixit.
[Traded The Wheel for Masonry with Japan, The Wheel for Mysticism and 2 gold with Egypt, The Wheel for 98 gold with Russia]

1525BC – The Year of the Glorious Log
“Three times Hurrah for our brave boat!” Theodora dixit.
[HEB Damn the Torpedoes sinks 3 Barbarian galleys and is promoted elite]

1450BC – The Year of Heraclea
“Fine. Add it to the collection.” Theodora dixit.
[Heraclea, our seventh city, is founded]

1400BC – The Year of the Strange War
“What? Triangular huts vs. yurts? Interesting.” Theodora dixit.
[Russia declared war to Egypt]

1325BC – The Year of the Golden Hill
“A town on a gold hill? Fine for me!” Theodora dixit
[Trebizond, our 7the city, was founded on a gold hill]

1325BC – The Year of the Next One
“Another one? Well, prepare a special gift for the ninth one.” Theodora dixit.
[ Chalcedon, our 8th city, was constructed]

1225BC – The Year of the Giant Mud Hut
“So, the Mayans completed the bigger triangular mud hut? The Egyptians will not be pleased.” Theodora dixit.
[The Mayans built the Pyramids]

1100BC – The Year of the Philosophical Question
“To rule or not to rule? This is not a question!] Theodora dixit.
[We discovered Philosophy, not the first ones, it seems…]

1075BC – The Year of the Cash Techs
“In, in, in….” Theodora dixit.
[We traded Philosophy for Polytheism and 118 gold from Egypt, Mysticism and Philosophy for IW and MM +3 gold from the Hittites, Philosophy, IW and MM for CoL, Literature +2 gold from Russia, Philosophy for HR + 21 gold from Japan and Philosophy for 62 gold from Sumeria]

950BC – The Year of the Nine
“Another one? Give the mayor a golden ring.” Theodora dixit.
[Sardica, our 9th city, was completed]

900BC – The Year of Great Wonders
“Let them build them. I will conquer them.” Theodora dixit
[The Hittites built the Great Library, the French the Oracle]

750BC – The Year of the Fiery Log
“So, our floating logs can spew fire? Name it for our fiery legend.” Theodora dixit.
[Our first Dromon was named ‘Smaug’]
Old February 3, 2004, 08:42   #48
Mountain Sage
King

750BC: our 'glorious' island. Tight spacing gets us 10 cities, with room for another one.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	750bc1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	63446  
Old February 3, 2004, 08:44   #49
Mountain Sage
King

Our economics and techs. Our populace is not very happy, but this will improve over time.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	750bc3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	63447  
Old February 3, 2004, 08:47   #50
Mountain Sage
King

Our techs. We are skipping Republic, since we don't plan to make the switch immediately. We want to be the first ones in the next age. We have a 1-3 tech lead ofe the rest of the pack.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	750bc4.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	63448  
Old February 3, 2004, 13:13   #51
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I like your theme Mountain Sage, hope you don't have any more hardware problems.
Old February 4, 2004, 07:29   #52
Mountain Sage
King

me too....
Old February 6, 2004, 10:17   #53
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Ok, picking up where I left off in the DAR1 thread...

My curraghs continued to explore, eventually discovering Egypt and Russia, as well as two unihabited islands to my Northwest (one right above Japan, the other due west of there). I managed to be first to Philo, and took MapMaking as my free tech. I got a Dromon in the water shortly thereafter and proceeded to start plopping settlers down off-continent.

My two pumps (well, the second city wasn't quite a pump, at +4fpt) were doing their jobs, giving me settlers and workers galore. At some point, I put Constantinople on worker-only duty to deal with the marsh. I put together 1 team of 4 workers (16 worker turns to drain marsh) and ordered them to go clear the two marsh city sites I indentified. Other workers were sent to drain tiles one at a time.

My tech trading kept me up in tech (sometimes slightly ahead, sometimes even, sometimes slightly behind). Meanwhile, I had been trying for the Colossus in my third city (111 of Constantinople), but was beaten to that handily. So I switched to the Lighthouse. Beaten to that, also handily (Dutch, who I had not met yet). Switched to Mausolous.

My offshore settlements totalled 4. 3 on the island to my northwest, and 1 on the more western island. The 3 sites I think of as the "fish and banana site" the "marsh game site" and the "iron hill site."

Ok, I'll stop here and move to the next DAR thread.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 9, 2004, 14:41   #54
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

I've been thrown into a war with Sumeria and the Hittites as they foolishly decided to try and settle my island. Fortunately I just got my Dromons out and built the Great Lighthouse. We rule the seas! Kicked Sumeria off the island by taking his city and captured some Hittite slaves. I also finally rid my island of barbarians. They've been a pain from the beginning. pillaged my capital in 1650bc.

I am still debating who to conquer if anyone at all right now. Haven't met the Mayans or English yet. Just heard of them because they built some wonders.

I'm building the Statue of Zeus as Japan was nice enough to trade me ivory for Mathematics.

I need to pump out some settlers, clear some marsh, and get some offshore settlements.

Discovered map making in 925bc so I made a map. It is quite large (600kb) but worth a look IMHO.

AU501 Stock Emperor 925BC map of the world
Old February 9, 2004, 21:36   #55
alexman

Very cool map!
Old February 9, 2004, 22:12   #56
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yeah, great map
Old February 9, 2004, 23:35   #57
vmxa1
Deity

I had a hard time viewing it. Do I need to change some options?
It was blurry.
Old February 9, 2004, 23:41   #58
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

It scales automatically(at least in Firebird) but you can click on it to magnify to 100% - IE should have a similar feature - hover the mouse and check the top left or bottom right for a magnifying glass button.
Old February 10, 2004, 01:20   #59
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
Very cool map!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cort Haus
Yeah, great map
I agree wholeheartedly -- fantastic graphic representation of your early game!

Catt
Old February 10, 2004, 03:48   #60
vmxa1
Deity

IE had some feature to expand it, thanks Ducki.