Old January 28, 2004, 20:59   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 17:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
War Weariness: When ending an old war and starting a new one.
How long do you need to wait? If you end an old war that has gotten your empire up to say 40-50% protest in all your cities...then make peace..wait a turn...then declare on a new empire..

Does WW start over at 0 again? Or do you have to wait awhile?

This is in Republic.
Artifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2004, 01:22   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:13
WW takes 20 turns to dissipate from the end of a war; even if the war was under a government which has no war weariness.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2004, 03:50   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:13
You should look for Bamspeedys report on WW. I am not sure if it is linked in the must read threads or not. It is topped at CFC.

IIRC the ww will go down over time and takes 20 turns to be completely dissipated.

Two things that will help keep WW from accumulating is to not lose cities and not have troops in their land at the end of the turn.

Policemen and UniSuff help reduce the impact.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2004, 03:51   #4
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 03:13
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Do you get hit for war weariness when you've demanded the AI leave your territory and they declare war on you?

I always thought you didn't, in fact you got a slight negative war weariness to start with.....but I've played many games now where the war started in this way and I've been hit with WW after only about 4 or 5 turns....becoming so severe by 8 or 10 turns that my luxury slider is at 50% or more and I have to sue for peace.

I haven't tested this empirically, but it is clearly happening and it's really giving me the willies! Is there something I've missed here that would explain why I'm getting WW when it's the AI who declares?

Thanks
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2004, 07:13   #5
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 20:13
War weariness takes a little longer to set in if the AI declares war on you, for whatever reason. In fact, I usually have quite a few cities go on WLTKD for several turns when the AI declares war. During one particularly succesful blitz, I made peace after the required 5 turns and got everything I wanted and the next turn a couple of cities went from WLTKD to disorder simply because WLTKD was caused by the war. That was weird: the peasants going restless because the war ended.
If you're in a war with several AIs at the same time, you can temporarily reduce war weariness by making peace with one of them. In fact, I once managed to stay at war with one AI for over 100 turns because they kept bringing in others into the war and I made peace with those guys after 5 turns. WW became a problem only after about 100 turns, and I was in democracy at the time.
Old January 29, 2004, 10:50   #6
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

What I found interesting regarding WW was what the Sumerians did to me recently.

I was playing as the Byzantines, and had just completed dismantling Russia which shared a continent with Germany, Korea and Sumeria. Sumeria was the big dog on the continent and had switched to fascism. Despite me having tanks and infantry, they declared war, attacking with cav and infantry. I fought them off, but it took a while to mount an effective counteroffensive. Finally took a couple of cities, and with WW getting really bad, I sued for peace. Not more than 5 turns later, they redeclared war on me. Again, I took a couple of cities, WW spiked up, so I got a peace treaty. Again, within a few turns, they redeclared war. This time, I was p*ssed off, so I cranked my luxuries up, and wiped them out.

If I didn't know better, I would have said that the Sumerians were doing that deliberately to inflict WW on me and disrupt my tech progress. A very interesting, subtle and strategic use of Fascism by the AI? Must have been a fluke. (Granted, it did result in them being destroyed, but it was the only chance they had.)
Tall Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2004, 13:51   #7
vmxa1
Deity

I have seen some similar behavior and I am starting to think that they are in fact doing it with that in mind.
Old January 29, 2004, 15:50   #8
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Cool. I was sort of hoping that others had noticed this too and that it was a feature rather than a freak, one-time occurence. It certainly made my endgame more interesting and challenging.

Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior?
Tall Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2004, 03:28   #9
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:13
Does AI get more aggresive in the endgame?
:) Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2004, 04:02   #10
Smellincoffee
Settler

Local Time: 12:13
I've heard they do, at least when you're approching a cultural or spaceship win.

UN, however, seems to catch them by suprise. Blithering idiots never figure out why I'm such a good trader in the latter half of industrial.
Old January 30, 2004, 04:11   #11
vmxa1
Deity

It is hit and miss as near as I can tell. I dropped a spaceship on Demi recently and no one raised any fuss.

They know you are building one. OTOH I have had them declare war on me at 2048 with only one city to their name.
Old January 31, 2004, 02:45   #12
trev
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 3, 2010
War Weariness accumulates during a period of war. It accumulates on a point system where losing military units, losing cities, having your armies in enemy territory at the end of your turn and having your terrain (and maybe cities ) bombarded. It has 3 levels which are triggered when the points accumulate to particular levels. The increase in unhappiness at each level is substantial. On the 3rd level on democracy, your government goes into anarchy.
The war weariness points are accumulated separately for each civ and remembered for 20 turns after the war with a particular civ ends. So if war resumes for any reason within that 20 turn period, it immediately recommences at the original rate for that civ.
In the case of a sneak attack it may temporarily be moderated by a smaller measure of reverse war weariness ( but not sure about this)
trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2004, 17:51   #13
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 12:13
Also, WW efects are for each civ.

You can declare war against a different civ the same turn you resolve being at war as long as your positive that the old civ you were at war with won't redeclare war on you right away.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2004, 20:17   #14
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 18:13
I've had opponents strangely keen to redeclare war, causing me no end of WW problems. But I wasn't aware of what government they had at the time, so I don't know if they had Fascism or whatever. I think the game should make it more obvious what government other countries have (such as their appearance or mode of address during negotiations - Civ1 changed the background accordingly). As far as I know, the only way to find out as it stands is to consult the Military Adviser, something I do very rarely.
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2004, 03:16   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Go to F3 and you can see the form of gov they are currently using.
Old February 4, 2004, 10:53   #16
Brundlefly
Prince

If you start a war while in Anarchy, would this provide a lesser war weariness effect once you switch to democracy?

Do you take a lesser negative effect from disreputable actions made while in Anarchy as in Civ2?
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2004, 08:14   #17
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 18:13
IIRC there is no benefit to declaring war in anarchy and switching. Similarly, you can't wipe WW by switching from demo, then back to it, since the 20 turn effect is still active.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote