Old January 28, 2004, 22:44   #1
Prot
C3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Royal Guard
I was thinking, what if you implemented Royal Guard for the Monarchies/Fascists? It would basically be a very good defensive unit that can not leave your capitols cultural sphere. It would change depending on your age and it can't join an army. What do you all think?
Old January 29, 2004, 00:39   #2
Justin69002003
Chieftain

Sound good, but would it be a foot soldier or a mounted unit? It could also be a some kind of morterzized units in later ages.
Old January 29, 2004, 08:46   #3
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 12:14
Royal Guard might be OK for Monarchy/Feudalism, but with Fascism it might be compared to the SS, so that might not be such a good idea.
and in the darkness bind them.
Old January 29, 2004, 09:26   #4
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
If it's 'OK' to run a fascist state, it should be 'OK' to have a SS-unit. Political correctness can be so inconsistent at times...
Old January 29, 2004, 11:39   #5
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 11:14
Royal Guard, isn't that essentially what the 'Military Police' units do in those governments?

By 'Capital's Culture Sphere' do you mean just the city radius of your Capital City (ie. the city w/ your Palace), or anywhere within your entire Culture border?

What about for the Forbidden Palace? Would they be available for that as well?

What would happen if one builds the Palace in another city? Would they move to the 'New Capital' or just disapear?

Would it be a sesile, city-based unit (like SAM Missle Battery), or would it be 'somewhat mobile' just being able to move 1-2 squares from Palace?

Sorry for all the questions, but they just popped into my mind.

Steven
Old January 29, 2004, 17:38   #6
Myrddin
Warlord

Just make it 'immobile ' in the editor and build it in all cities as your king will want to tour his realm

I've been thinking about adding immobile fortress troops to the game to help the AI defend it cities, but have yet to find a formula that will help the AI more than a human
Old January 29, 2004, 18:02   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Immobile would probably be your best bet to implement it with the current rules.
Old January 29, 2004, 19:34   #8
Prot
Chieftain

In reply to Steven8r, I was thinking a unit that is not an improvement but it just can't move out of the city with the palace in it. It would not be able to go into a city with the Forbidden Palace and it would instantly go to another city if you built your Palace there.

Also, I never really thought of Military Police as Royal Guard, but more as military that helps put down roudiness and assists the local police forces.

Justin69002003, I was thinking it would be a foot unit up until you get to Motorized Transportation, then it becomes a Mech Infantry like unit.

New Hittite MGL: Howard Dean(listen to what their UU sounds like when it attacks)
Old January 30, 2004, 19:11   #9
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Prot
Justin69002003, I was thinking it would be a foot unit up until you get to Motorized Transportation, then it becomes a Mech Infantry like unit.
Just out of curriosity, what would the purpose of a 'motorized' non-mobile unit? Or was that just a comparison of defensive values?

It could be like a Camero in a redneck's front yard. It provides them some defense, but is usually up on blocks and therefore, only moves when they do.

I'm about as redneck as they come (sans the whole Camero on blocks thing), so I'm not trying to start any flame wars here or anything. Notice the wink.

Steven (the redneck)
Old January 30, 2004, 20:09   #10
Switch
Prince

Sounds interesting...by capital's culture area, do you mean the area that would be within your cultural boundries if the capital was your only city, ie can only move in the X-shape area around your capitol? so when the capitol gains culture, the royal guard has a bit more room it can move in?

Hmm...not sure if I worded that clearly...what I mean is, say in a 0 culture city, it can move in the 1 tile radius, 9 tiles. culture 10, it has 12 tiles, 100 =..., and so on. it's area of movement has nothing to do with any other cities, only the culture of the capitol city.
Old February 3, 2004, 22:28   #11
Prot
Chieftain

I originally wantes it to move ANYWHERE in your capitol's cultural "X". Seems people don't like this though...

New Hittite MGL: Howard Dean(listen to what their UU sounds like when it attacks)
Old February 12, 2004, 00:29   #12
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I to like the idea of a Royal Guard.

I would see them available in the Cities of the Palace and the Forbidden Palace.

And in games where you have "Capture the Prince / Princess" They should be allowed to travel with that Character... (althought that is probably to hard to program)
Old February 12, 2004, 04:03   #13
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 03:14
Perhaps they should also be susceptible to a 1% chance of being bribed by an enemy civ and poisoning the King, which forces a change of government and a new leaderhead to pop-up......
Old February 14, 2004, 02:56   #14
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:14
That sounds interesting...
Old February 14, 2004, 16:07   #15
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller
Perhaps they should also be susceptible to a 1% chance of being bribed by an enemy civ and poisoning the King, which forces a change of government and a new leaderhead to pop-up......
Old February 15, 2004, 11:04   #16
Sovereign
Prince

Some quite interesting ideas.

However, for the new leaderheads to happen, every civ must have more than 2 leaderheads.

Remember in Civ2, there were one male and one female leaderhead for every civ.

Also, some civs had more than 2 leaders, such as for USA, George Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, etc. and for England... Richard the Lionheart, Elizabeth, Victoria, Princess Di, etc.

If Civ3 implemented an option to choose a male or female leaderhead for every civ, as well as additional leaderheads if there are enough famous leaders for a particular civ, it'd be even more awesome and fun!

I have another idea. Your Great Leaders should be able to become Emperor Leaders (leaderheads) if your original Emperor Leader is slain or assasinated.
Old February 15, 2004, 17:58   #17
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I have royal guards. Although I rename them depending on my government.

I usually keep 'legacy' units in my capital cities as a kind of reminder to my past. I like to keep UU's especially. Since I've played Japan almost exclusively in my last 8 or so games, I rename my Samurai forces the Shinsengumi and have them stay in the capital.

Royal guard is an interesting idea, I think though that we can already do it with the rename feature. I'd prefer if Firaxis work on some of the AI issues that they haven't fixed rather than on this feature. That's not to say I disagree with you, but it's in many ways, already implentable. Just rename units and keep them in your capitals.