Old January 29, 2004, 00:27   #1
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Intelligence and Exploration Division
What do you think of creating Intelligence and Exploration Division (in short: ID or IED)?

It would be concerned with those two main objectives. That could be subjected to supervisory of (one selection):
1) Military
2) External Affairs Office
3) Prime Function

The ID would have its own scouting units and probe teams. The advantage would be that someone would be able to constantly take care of exploration and intelligence. I think exploration is very important now when the territory of the CyCon can still spread without need for war.
Old January 29, 2004, 05:07   #2
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Frankly I dont hink it is necessary to create own division to it. We have reconstructed most of the map of planet already. We dont do very much intel anyway.

At least not in-game, anyone can do intel outside the game via PMs, MSN, IRC, or other ways as long as it isnt spying, extorting information or any other hostile mean, of course you must be very careful about what you tell about cycon, the less you tell the better. Also in the past there have been attempts to manipulate inter factional relations by rogue members who have then been thrown out of their faction, so do anything stupid.

From my own experience it might be better if you'd just take your time and get to know your own faction first, then get to know people from other factions. Chit chat a little and you might learn something. Dont try too hard since many people are exteremely hostile towards 'cyconians trying to milk information'

- Paul Valery
Old January 29, 2004, 05:36   #3
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

I thought more about probe teams in the game, not the forum intelligence.
Also there are unexplored territories very close to current CyCon borders - thus exploration effort to make it easy to decide where to build new bases, how to arrange them, so no bonus tiles are omited. My thinking is 70% of map uncovered is always worse than 100% uncovered. It may not be priority at the moment to explore, but suddenly we might need a lot of new territory. And it is much better if we recover as many Unity pods as possible, so others couldn't put hands on them
Old January 29, 2004, 08:29   #4
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 10:14
Actualy what I think would be most usefull is if this new department focused on analizing the actions of our Pact members the Hive and Uni.

By opening up previous saves and making detailed comparisons it would be possible to determine some of the less obvious actions taken by these teams and thus to determine their strategies. Any insights gained would be sumarized and posted in an inteligence thread.

I think that would be very usefull as we currently have a lot of raw data on these 2 factions but no one realy assigned to analize it. Control over Probes should probly stay under External Affairs for now.

Oh and at some point it would be a good idea to split External Affairs into Diplomacy and Military.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 29, 2004, 09:27   #5
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

It would be exellent! Sadly I personally dont have time or means to take part of this since my computer is still being repaired by Dell.

Im all for it!

- Paul Valery
Old January 29, 2004, 12:31   #6
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

If we have people interested in performing that job, I would be all for it. But do we have enough members interested in a government position? We already have lots of trouble to fill just the four current positions.
Old January 29, 2004, 13:37   #7
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Exploration
Intelligence
Old January 29, 2004, 16:01   #8
Mart
Emperor

I can make old saves review. Just need to collect them.

The External Affairs office could remain with one governmental official. However there could be formed three new departments under Ext.Af.:

1) DC (Diplomatic Corps)
2) CCA or CCM (CyCon Army or Military)
3) IED (Intelligence and Exploration Division)
---under IED: SPEF (SPecial Probe and Exploration Forces)

This would make some order in issues and separate forums would make discussions easier. Some people could be members of several departments, as they see fit. E.g. if military people would complain that probe teams are not under their jurisdiction, then they should join IED.
SPEF would cooperate closely with the Army, but being separate, it would not have to be concerned with all that military stuff. Spy should think like spy, soldier should think like soldier (in most cases....) And there is no cost to form SPEF now, as i recall there is one probe foil already and one unity rover.
I understand that exploration is not priority now. There is though some security issue i think - to the north from Garland Crater i saw a Believing scout rover. It would be good not to allow them to form a base on the same continent as Cycon exists. If they have a rover over there we might expect colony pod in the future.
Old January 29, 2004, 16:11   #9
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
I can make old saves review. Just need to collect them.
I have copies of Mission Years 2131 to now, with the exception of MY 2144 missing. Drogue has MY 2144 and the years until MY 2120 stored IIRC. But I don't know if anyone has kept copies of MY 2121-2130. Perhaps Googlie has. We could ask.
Old January 29, 2004, 19:49   #10
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 10:14
Thats still a bit to ambitious at this point Mart to create so many new divisions. Creating an Inteligence division is a more resasonable goal at this point because such a department dosen't need to produce Orders every turn.

Probes should stay under the gurisdiction of Military (if and when that splits from External Affairs) because these are units that need to be moved around. Likwise exploration should remain under militayr because it involves moving units.

Also I should point out that their is currently only 1 person in each office but ALL members can contirbute to desisions made in that area. The office holder is charged with initiating, guieding, polling and sumarizing that discussion into a finalized set of orders. Beyond that they have no more weight in their area then any other member so no one needs to "sign up" for various departments, all are welcome on a walk in basis.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 29, 2004, 20:30   #11
Mart
Emperor

Is there any place i can download those zipped game saves? If not, my email is in my profile and it is also here:
marcin777@hotmail.com
if the file is under 1Mb it should go without problems. I can always take several files one at a time.
So it seems i am analysts of the Intelligence office. It would be nice to have special thread for that, where i could post findings for discussion.
Old January 29, 2004, 21:10   #12
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

I suppose this thread, if renamed for 'Intelligence Division' only.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old January 30, 2004, 09:35   #13
laurentius
King

!!!!!!!!!!!!! * N E W *** I N T E L*** I N F O*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sources tell me that Santa is coming to Visit Cycon soon again

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; January 30, 2004 at 10:17.
Old January 30, 2004, 10:04   #14
Maniac

Who told you?
Old January 30, 2004, 10:11   #15
laurentius
King

santa

and theres much more to this....

seriously, dont ask

- Paul Valery
Old February 13, 2004, 13:35   #16
Maniac

Saves from MY 2131 to MY 2155, with exception of MY 2144

(Beware, 2MB!)
Old February 14, 2004, 02:14   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:14
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Thanks for the saves.
Old February 14, 2004, 10:57   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:14
Ah, you know you haven't done anything with them, ya big spammer.... I've been watching your PC the last few weeks... What - you've been trying to outdo AH?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 14, 2004, 12:34   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:14
Did you see the thread in the community forum?
I only made it into 3rd place for ppd the past week.
Old February 21, 2004, 18:02   #20
Maniac

Btw, Mart7x5, did you read this thread and download the saves?
Old February 21, 2004, 19:30   #21
Mart
Emperor

yes, i have the saves, thank you. First results will be submited shortly