Old January 29, 2004, 04:50   #1
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PBEM: Crustacian's equal map game...
An old game, started about three years ago, is coming to its end and I fear, alas, with a very bitter end for me... But more about that once the game is actually finished...

The original thread (see link below) was started in the Civ 2 MP forum. I don't remember whether it was because we played the first turns on-line or because this forum didn't exist at the time.

Crustacian has created the map containing four identical continents. The original rules (not strictly enforced) and players can be found in the link below:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=1553

Of the four original players, three are still in the game. DaveV as the fearful Egyptians, Kengel as the mysterious Japanese and I as the humble Sioux. Crustacian, who played the mighty Vikings, left the game (and Apolyton?) without any notice. A number of players have since shown the Vikings the path to glory, and they are now ruled by La Fayette the wise.

If there is interest from the other players in the game, then maybe we can discuss the game here when we've finished it.

Carolus
Old February 7, 2004, 14:36   #2
kengel
Prince

Local Time: 18:14
Carolus, great idea!
As far as I know, we started our game in a time when PBEM was not known to many, so this forum also did not yet exist...

This game is indeed going into its most interesting periode, and I agree that the point of decision will be soon- for whom ever
Old February 8, 2004, 01:31   #3
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 12:14
Great Idea indeed! Though I knew of the existence of this game, I did not know the history behind it, a interesting read, and one I look forward to being updated as to where the world is at now, late in the game.

Hopefully someone will similarly dig up the thread relating to the other long running pbem game (which coincidentaly we are also all playing in along with 4 other members of Apolyton, though in some cases, infrequent members) and post it as well, perhaps we can get some discussion going amongst the players. Though I have had individual discussions about the game with almost all of you at one time or another, a group discussion could be quite interesting
Old February 10, 2004, 04:58   #4
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

La Fayette 'the wise' (since Carolus told you so ) has the great pleasure to inform you all that the Viking Space Ship is now (1570AD) on it's way to AC.

The Egyptian, Japanese and Sioux leaders are expected to be angry and all out war is forecasted by the Viking Headquarters here in Livercrusty.
Old February 10, 2004, 07:59   #5
Carolus Rex
Emperor

The course of events does indeed unfold as I suspected in my post above...

It seems that the Sioux will learn the drawback of being the last civ (colour-wise) the hard, and very bitter, way...

However, more on that later.

Carolus
Old February 10, 2004, 08:26   #6
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Hopefully someone will similarly dig up the thread relating to the other long running pbem game (which coincidentaly we are also all playing in along with 4 other members of Apolyton, though in some cases, infrequent members) and post it as well, perhaps we can get some discussion going amongst the players.
Someone's dug up the thread.

Carolus
Old February 10, 2004, 14:44   #7
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Interesting, what limited information I had on this game indicated it was a two horse race...and the Vikings wern't one of the horses mentioned!

Indeed this should be an interesting finish !!

These four equal continents......how far away from each other are they? (In other words, is the Viking capital accessable to the other 3 civs or is La Fayette already chalking up his victory?)

Alternatively, how close are the other three civs to launching a faster ship (though we don't know how fast La Fayette's is)? I realize the other three of you don't want to reveal anything crucial to your plans, but can you give us a hint ?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Old February 10, 2004, 15:51   #8
La Fayette
King

A faster ship would be difficult

but the Egyptians (daveV) are VERY strong.
Old February 10, 2004, 17:29   #9
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 13:14
... but probably not strong enough to take two capitals, if I read between the lines correctly . Am I going to be put in the position of spoiler/kingmaker? For the benefit of the non-players, I'll try to post some screenshots tomorrow, after I play my turn.
Old February 10, 2004, 19:44   #10
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette
The Egyptian, Japanese and Sioux leaders are expected to be angry and all out war is forecasted by the Viking Headquarters here in Livercrusty.
Quote:
but the Egyptians (daveV) are VERY strong.
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveV
... but probably not strong enough to take two capitals, if I read between the lines correctly . Am I going to be put in the position of spoiler/kingmaker? For the benefit of the non-players, I'll try to post some screenshots tomorrow, after I play my turn.
It seems the question is not so much if the Egyptians are strong enough to tackle the Vikings alone, but whether the Egyptians, Sioux and Japanese are strong enough to take down the Viking ship Or for that matter, whether the three can work together in a concerted effort to bring it down.

Personally I would like to see it happen (no offense La Fayette) with a supreme battle with all four nations and then see which of the 4 has enough resources left to build another ship.

On a side note, does anyone else see a problem with a spaceship being brought down from space because the capital city of the empire that launched it is taken by enemies?
Old February 10, 2004, 20:16   #11
kengel
Prince

Geeeee....
That was a big surprize!
I always thought that Dave would be the running horse...

(LOL... and I even supported the vikings with traderoutes to my big cities)

Anyway, I take my hat off to the great viking leader!
Since I am very unhappy about the option to get back a spaceship by military force after milleniums of peace, I will not even try it, and ensure the mighty viking astronauts my best wishes for a successful landing (LOL... wouldn't have said that for the treacherous egypts )

If I am right, our year counter is going in ten years steps, so the viking ship should be in AC the next or overnext turn?

Though the Japanese are far back in science in past, they are ready to rush-explorer the knowledge in approximately 4-5 turns (presently with science rate of 4 techs per turn). With our economic power, we should be able to start a space ship in another 2 turns, but then I believe we will meet our viking friends already there...

Oh well, Michel, excellente job, congrats
Old February 11, 2004, 14:16   #12
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Arrgh. After a survey of Egyptian resources, we are sorry to conclude there is no way we can stop two spaceships (maybe not even one!). Here is our stance:

To the Japanese leader: even if you have no wish to win the game, we at least ask that you not actively contribute to the Vikings' win.

To the Sioux: as you noted, your ship cannot beat the Vikings'. If you launch, we will take this as yet another vote for a Viking victory, and launch our fleet against your homeland. If you are willing to work together against the vile Vikings, we offer our strength in arms to that end.

To the Vikings: have at you, sirrah!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	crustypowergraph.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	64065  
Old February 11, 2004, 14:19   #13
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

The Viking spaceship:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	vikingspaceship.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	64066  
Old February 11, 2004, 14:20   #14
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

The minimap (revealed by Apollo):
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	crustyminimap.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	64067  
Old February 11, 2004, 14:21   #15
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

At the start of my turn:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	crustyplayers.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	64068  
Old February 11, 2004, 16:21   #16
La Fayette
King

Beautiful screenshots!

(I'll be back on saturday)
Old February 13, 2004, 05:21   #17
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Alternatively, how close are the other three civs to launching a faster ship (though we don't know how fast La Fayette's is)? I realize the other three of you don't want to reveal anything crucial to your plans, but can you give us a hint ?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Hm, I guess I can reveal the bitter truth (with a few reservations)...

If nothing unexpected has happened during the others' turns, then I will launch a 33-8-8-1-1-1 (fusion-powered) ship the same turn as La Fayette (I have yet to play this turn). Because it has been quite some time since the last time I built the fastest ship, I asked about the optimal configuration in the thread below:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=81320

Hence I've built the SS with 33 structurals, which I think will take 5.7 years. That's why I'm a little bit confused to see 34 structurals in the Viking ship...

Anyway, suppose my ship also takes 5.7 years. We will both arrive the same year, but La Fayette will win since he (due to his civ's colour) moves before I do. This is what I hinted at in the posts above (which DaveV correctly read between the lines)...

I have established embassies with all civs and have been able to monitor each civ's progress... I was always one tech ahead of the Vikings (regarding the space race), but I didn't want to build Apollo too soon, revealing the map. This was Big Mistake number one...

Because when I actually decided to build it, La Fayette had already started building it (which I didn't know, but was soon to find out ), resulting in a 600 shield temple when my turn came... I was completely shocked (and mad as hell), realising that he was now going to win...

Big Mistake number two was that I was so confident that I was going to build the ship first, that I didn't plan for anything else... Some turns before I started building the ship I didn't have enough cities (I wanted to build and launch it in a single turn, requiring 52 cities); the same was true for La Fayette, I think. When I pinned down the remaining cities I made sure they had a defender each... I don't think La Fayette did this, so (in hindsight) if I'd had a couple of explorers in my most western island city, I could have reached his mainland and entered a couple of the cities building SS parts... That would have been so sweet!!!

Anyway...

Carolus

Last edited by Carolus Rex; February 13, 2004 at 06:10.
Old February 13, 2004, 05:55   #18
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex

I don't think La Fayette did this, so (in hindsight) if I'd had a couple of explorers in my most western island city, I could have reached his mainland and entered a couple of the cities building SS parts... That would have been so sweet!!!
I could have reached those cities with freights, but they can never conquer a city, can they? I sure hope they can't or else the taste in my mouth will be so much fouler...

Carolus
Old February 13, 2004, 06:01   #19
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kengel

If I am right, our year counter is going in ten years steps, so the viking ship should be in AC the next or overnext turn?
After a SS launch each turn will take a year. A launch in 1570 AD will result in a 1575 AD landing, with 5 turns left to play for the civs moving before the launching civ. Lots of time for aggressive neighbours to intervene?

Carolus
Old February 13, 2004, 06:04   #20
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:

Beautiful screenshots!
Especially the second one, eh?

Carolus
Old February 13, 2004, 06:07   #21
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kengel

Though the Japanese are far back in science in past, they are ready to rush-explorer the knowledge in approximately 4-5 turns (presently with science rate of 4 techs per turn).
Four techs per turn?!

Carolus
Old February 13, 2004, 06:21   #22
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveV

To the Sioux: as you noted, your ship cannot beat the Vikings'. If you launch, we will take this as yet another vote for a Viking victory, and launch our fleet against your homeland. If you are willing to work together against the vile Vikings, we offer our strength in arms to that end.
The Sioux Fools' Council (before recent events known as the Sioux High Council of Wise Chiefs) will meet and ponder the Egyptians' proposal. We will report our answer here.

Carolus
Old February 13, 2004, 19:41   #23
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex

I'm a little bit confused to see 34 structurals in the Viking ship...

Carolus
I knew that perhaps you would enjoy destroying some SS parts. One more structural doesn't mean a slower ship, but can be helpful if other structurals are missing.
Old April 15, 2004, 03:46   #24
Carolus Rex
Emperor

We have launched our space ship; it will arrive in the same year as the Viking one...

The Egyptians are welcome to ravage our continent.

Carolus