Old January 30, 2004, 06:57   #61
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I thank god every day that I don't live in that dopey region...

it's ironic that so called "conservatives" who cry about the powerful government and their terrible influence are the very ones USING GOVERNMENT to push their stupid agendas...
They are just demonstrating how dangerous government can be.
Old January 30, 2004, 09:10   #62
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:16
As a conservative fundamentalist I decry the crippling effect that liberalism has had on the public schools over the last 30 years but....this narrow minded attempt to roll back the clock is useless.

The real answer to this problem is getting the right to use our tax dollars to educate our children in the schools of our choice.
Old January 30, 2004, 09:15   #63
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 13:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I thought we were done with all this bullshit. I hate americans sometimes
"Sometimes"?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old January 30, 2004, 11:12   #64
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Would the HS students be willing to learn?
That is their problem. Students in a catholic school might not be willing to learn religion either- does that mean the word God should be substituted for "non-corporeal entity"?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 30, 2004, 11:34   #65
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:03   #66
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
That is their problem. Students in a catholic school might not be willing to learn religion either
Private and public school systems. Can the public school system refuse to teach someone? The private school could just ask the student to leave.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:37   #67
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

A public school can ask a student to leave if they are sufficiently disruptive. No disruption, no expulsion, I wouldn't think. They might fail, though.

Ah, the hazards of being a fundamentalist neanderthal.

Ah, the hazards of having a majority of fundamentalist neanderthals in your state...

But by all means, Ben, stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes and pretend the pink unicorn on the other side of the moon made the earth in 6 days.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:47   #68
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
But by all means, Ben, stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes and pretend the pink unicorn on the other side of the moon made the earth in 6 days.
Not just the Earth, plenty of other stuff too. Don't forget that!

Actually, I don't believe in 6 'creation-days' being 24 hour periods, but I guess that would spoil your rant, eh?
Old January 30, 2004, 13:53   #69
Arrian
Deity

But you admit it's a pink unicorn! Woohoo!

Whatever. Believe as you wish. I, for one, am happy your vote counts in Canada and not the US. We really don't need any more religious conservatives.

-Arrian

Old January 30, 2004, 13:55   #70
GePap
Emperor

Quote:

Private and public school systems. Can the public school system refuse to teach someone? The private school could just ask the student to leave.
And public schools also have to give students information they need to succeed and become full rounded citizens, not whatever fairy tales a private org wants to push- hence, evolution.
Old January 30, 2004, 14:24   #71
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Carter blasts Georgia evolution proposal

By MARY MACDONALD
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Former President Jimmy Carter said Friday he is embarrassed by the proposal to remove the term evolution from Georgia's biology curriculum. "As a Christian, a trained engineer and scientist, and a professor at Emory University, I am embarrassed by Superintendent Kathy Cox's attempt to censor and distort the education of Georgia's students," Carter said in a statement.

Her recommendation that the word "evolution" be removed from the standards "will adversely affect the teaching of science and leave our high school graduates with a serious handicap as they enter college or private life where freedom of speech will be permitted."

"Nationwide ridicule of Georgia's public school system will be inevitable if this proposal is adopted, and additional and undeserved discredit will be brought on our excellent universities as our state's reputation is damaged," Carter wrote.

Carter, a Baptist, said that existing references to evolution in Georgia's curriculum have done nothing to damage religious faith in the state.

State school Superintendent Kathy Cox said Thursday that the change, which would strike the word "evolution" from Georgia's science curriculum, is only a suggestion and far from becoming official policy.

Cox's proposal for new middle and high school science standards would ban references to "evolution" and replace it with the term "biological changes over time." She says the world "evolution" is a "buzzword that causes a lot of negative reaction."

The proposal is part of more than 800 pages of revisions to Georgia's curriculum that were posted Jan. 12 on the Department of Education Web site for educators and the public to consider.

Cox spokesman Kirk Englehardt said the superintendent was reviewing Carter's statement Friday morning and did not have an immediate response.

In an interview Thursday afternoon, Gov. Sonny Perdue didn't want to give his opinion on the evolution debate. But as he has done throughout his first year, he supported Cox and her decisions.

"I trust the superintendent and the [state] Board of Education. We appointed great people to the board," Perdue said. "And the superintendent is perfectly capable of making those kind of curriculum decisions. I don't think that's an issue that the people of Georgia expect the governor to get down into."

In an interview shortly after his November 2002 victory, Perdue said has "no problem" with children being exposed to creationism, evolution and other theories, but said the decision should rest with the local school districts.

Old January 30, 2004, 14:55   #72
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
And public schools also have to give students information they need to succeed and become full rounded citizens,
So why do students need to learn about evolution in order to become 'full rounded citizens?' I would think things like civics, should become that much more important given your criteria.
Old January 30, 2004, 15:52   #73
The Mad Viking
King

To understand what it means to be human, in the 21st century.

Read "The Third Chimpanzee" by Jared Diamond.

As far as Cox wanting to have alternatives to evolution debated in biology, I'm all for it.

As long as we get to debate evolution on Sundays, at Ms. Cox's church.

Until then, I have a deal:

Keep your babble the hell out of our kids schools, and we'll keep our monkeys out of your temple.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old January 30, 2004, 16:01   #74
Kuciwalker
Deity

Anyone who disputes evolution is a MORON. Georgia is full of MORONS. End of story.
Old January 30, 2004, 16:02   #75
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I try to avoid Georgia when at all possible.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 30, 2004, 16:20   #76
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Sigh

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 30, 2004, 16:21   #77
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

"...and that's when I said, 'I am not dating girls named after states again!'"
Old January 30, 2004, 17:02   #78
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
So why do students need to learn about evolution in order to become 'full rounded citizens?' I would think things like civics, should become that much more important given your criteria.
Amazingly, the schools could teach BOTH. Sorry Ben, but you have yet to come up with any valid concerns, except besides religious ones , and since this is public school, such concerns are at best tertiary.
Old January 30, 2004, 18:35   #79
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
"...and that's when I said, 'I am not dating girls named after states again!'"

Dopey dopey Georgia.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old January 30, 2004, 18:49   #80
Theben
Deity

In the interest of fairness, Georgia should allow for secular sermons and workshops in the sciences in churches across Georgia. I'm sure Ben could agree to that.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 30, 2004, 18:49   #81
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
To understand what it means to be human, in the 21st century.
So why does it make a difference to men whether they are created by God or evolved from monkeys?

Quote:
Keep your babble the hell out of our kids schools, and we'll keep our monkeys out of your temple.
Difference between the two cases. Christians have to pay for public schools, you do not have to pay for churches.
Old January 30, 2004, 18:51   #82
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Difference between the two cases. Christians have to pay for public schools, you do not have to pay for churches.
We allow churches not to pay taxes.
Old January 30, 2004, 18:51   #83
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Sorry Ben, but you have yet to come up with any valid concerns, except besides religious ones , and since this is public school, such concerns are at best tertiary.
Dodge.

Please answer the question Gepap. Why do students need to learn evolution to become 'full rounded citizens?'
Old January 30, 2004, 18:53   #84
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
We allow churches not to pay taxes.
Explain to me how they place a burden on society. They do many good works, that would otherwise need to be paid for by taxes.
Old January 30, 2004, 18:57   #85
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Explain to me how they place a burden on society. They do many good works, that would otherwise need to be paid for by taxes.
Why shouldn't they? They benefit from government services, do they not? Or we could except the fire department from saving burning churches?

I have no problem with keeping the tax free status of churches, but the fact a citizen who defines himself as a christian must pays taxes mean **** with regards to the teaching of science being undermined by people with little grasp of science due to their personal beliefs.

Its BIOLOGY CLASS. Thus, teach what science today tells us about BIOLOGY, and a big part opf that is evolution. Fundies will simply have to deal with it, o rpull thier kids out of school and teach them themselves.
Old January 30, 2004, 19:00   #86
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Please answer the question Gepap. Why do students need to learn evolution to become 'full rounded citizens?'
Because science literacy is increasingly important in the modern world, and environmental issues do matter, and part of being able to understand such issues means understanding modern biology. Ditto with many sociological issues, anthropological issues.

In general, if the question is, what sort of sciences people should learn, it is more important that the general public learn biology and evolution than physics. But we are not going to cut physics education form schools either.
Old January 30, 2004, 19:24   #87
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
christian must pays taxes mean **** with regards to the teaching of science being undermined by people with little grasp of science due to their personal beliefs.
It means Christians get to have a say on what they want taught to their children, what they are paying for. Either you exempt them from school taxes, or you allow them a say.

Quote:
Its BIOLOGY CLASS. Thus, teach what science today tells us about BIOLOGY, and a big part opf that is evolution. Fundies will simply have to deal with it, o rpull thier kids out of school and teach them themselves.
How will this rewording significantly alter the Biology program in high school?

Quote:
it is more important that the general public learn biology and evolution than physics
Why? Physics underlies everything in the world.
Old January 30, 2004, 19:36   #88
GePap
Emperor

Quote:

It means Christians get to have a say on what they want taught to their children, what they are paying for. Either you exempt them from school taxes, or you allow them a say.
Actually, no. By your reasoning racist and aethist have a say in what should be taught in schools as well, so obviously kids should be told there i no god, and black people are inferior becuase "some" people agree with it. Only some Christians think like you- Carter is a rgeat example of a church going american who thinks this stance is idiotic. In the end, education is about that, teahcing. If Christians can;t compete in the world of ideas with evolution, that is the problem of your ideas.

Quote:
How will this rewording significantly alter the Biology program in high school?
Did you read 1984? How would rewording the Bible to change all references to God to "non-corporeal entity" change a thing in terms of teahcing kids the bible? Answer, the same way.

Quote:
Why? Physics underlies everything in the world.
Who says? The same people who say evolution underlies the biological part of the world we live in? So how can you follow one set of what they say and ignore the other? That is hypocrasy.

Again, science class is for teahcing science. Science says evolution is how things happen. If you have a problem, end science classes.
Old January 30, 2004, 20:09   #89
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:16
Religious ignoramusses should be allowed not to get any education if their parents want to.

This way, we can hope many more religious people will be illiterate and won't be able to understand and influence government
Old January 30, 2004, 20:17   #90
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Carter is a rgeat example of a church going american who thinks this stance is idiotic. In the end, education is about that, teahcing. If Christians can;t compete in the world of ideas with evolution, that is the problem of your ideas.
Why is this about a competition between Christian ideas, and evolution? I just don't think High School does a good job of teaching evolution, period.

Quote:
Did you read 1984? How would rewording the Bible to change all references to God to "non-corporeal entity" change a thing in terms of teahcing kids the bible? Answer, the same way.
Yeah, I read 1984.

"he who controls the present, controls the past,
he who controls the past, controls the future."

Changes in nature, is precisely what evidence they have for evolution. So why not teach the changes, and avoid all this political stuff? Why not say that this is a theory, one explanation for these changes?

Quote:
The same people who say evolution underlies the biological part of the world we live in?
Does it in the same way that the laws of physics operate on the universe?

Quote:
Again, science class is for teahcing science. Science says evolution is how things happen. If you have a problem, end science classes.
Science also does not ignore evidence when it suggests problems with the current theories.