Old February 7, 2004, 15:07   #91
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
do you mean the galciv forum on poly or on the stardock page? (I've never actuallybeen to stardock forum, I have the game but only played a couple weeks)
Old February 7, 2004, 15:15   #92
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 13:16
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
do you mean the galciv forum on poly or on the stardock page? (I've never actuallybeen to stardock forum, I have the game but only played a couple weeks)
Gal Civ forum on Poly' of course.

Never been to the Stardock forum's either. I have had the game for 6 mos and have played appox 10 games.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old February 7, 2004, 15:16   #93
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Same with me. I played 2 or 3 games and packed it in. I still prefer to play Moo1 or II.
I keep it updated every now and then, just in case.
Old February 7, 2004, 15:19   #94
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Same with me. I played 2 or 3 games and packed it in. I still prefer to play Moo1 or II.
I keep it updated every now and then, just in case.
I try to get MOO but every time I get in line I have second thoughts and put it back.
Old February 7, 2004, 15:19   #95
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber

Gal Civ forum on Poly' of course.

Never been to the Stardock forum's either. I have had the game for 6 mos and have played appox 10 games.
I think the previous poster was talking about Stardocks site. Hence the confusion.

The GC fora here are quite dead, thats for sure. I just never got into the game.
Old February 7, 2004, 15:21   #96
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
I try to get MOO but every time I get in line I have second thoughts and put it back.
whatever you do, avoid MoO3.
Old February 9, 2004, 09:36   #97
Uberslacker
Settler

Local Time: 03:16
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Mad Bomber:
I was referring to the official forum. No more confusion in my mind and the world is a better place for it.
Old February 9, 2004, 16:33   #98
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Uberslacker
Mad Bomber:
I was referring to the official forum. No more confusion in my mind and the world is a better place for it.

BTW there is an official site? I went to Stardock.com and did not see any links or forums, **** now i am the confused one
Old February 9, 2004, 17:59   #99
Foosplayer
Settler

Local Time: 17:16
Try this Galciv
Old February 11, 2004, 22:10   #100
Uberslacker
Settler

That's the one.
Old February 12, 2004, 03:16   #101
Qilue
King

Quote:
[SIZE=1]I also thought that Medieval: Total War was an excellent addition, particuarly the ability to do tactical battles yourself. If there was ever a synthesis made of Civ3 and Medieval total War, I'd be in heaven. And while we're at it, I still miss that old SSI game "Medeival Lords".

john
Now that would be an outstanding game.

MTW's unique units really did make each faction play differently with their absence being noticable. I always missed longbowmen and billmen when not playing english, just as I missed the varangian guard and kataphracts when not playing Byzantines.

Also one's battlefield strategies had to change depending on what troops you had. The 2500 man army of billmen and longbowmen I once used to defeat the initial thrust* at Khazar by the golden horde wasn't available when I did this battle as a different faction.

Civ3's unique units however only make the same strategies work slightly differently. While I do appreciate that Civ3's warfare is abstract as opposed to MTW which was built around the battles, there should have been more options.

* For those of you who have never played Medieval Total War v1.1, this initial thrust contained about 15-20 thousand troops of mostly horse archers and heavy cavalry.
Old February 12, 2004, 03:50   #102
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

I acquired MTW quite some time ago but never got past the first 2 or 3 tutorials. More because of the time it was taking me to learn (cos I'm a bit dumb). Is it that good a game?

And in reality, I got hit by the Civ3 bug and haven't gone back yet.
Old February 12, 2004, 13:37   #103
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 18:16
From the looks of it Rome: Total War looks highly impressive. I can't wait to check it out.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:11   #104
Russian_King
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:16
I have only read the first few posts.. but i agree, instead of making the whole game unfair at higher levels, ONLY the AI should be better off
ALSO i have noticed that most or all strategy games have the AI cheating in the beginning to get immencely ahead, but in the end of the game rendered completely useless! WRONG i think the AI should get a little help more towards the middle of the game but start equally
and towards the end, the AI should get the maximum help allowed! thats the time it needs it most!
ALSO: civ should have the option to have a different difficulty level for each AI player u add to your game!!
Old February 13, 2004, 12:37   #105
Sovereign
Prince

I was hyped about GalCiv, because I was under the belief that it would be similiar to Civ series or SMAC set in space, with planets as cities, and stuff like that.

I think people lose interest in GalCiv, as opposed to Civ series and SMAC, because GalCiv is pretty limited in battles and building up of planets.

From what I can remember, many times my planets in GalCiv can't support all planet improvements like my self-sufficient cities in Civ3. So I modded all the expenses by half, and still can't be self-sustaining. Ugh.

There's one other thing. You're very limited in improving the planets themselves, so I'm forced to either mod the "kill worms" planet quality bonuses by ridiclious amounts, such as 500% to 2000% just to get planet class 2, 3, and 4's and 5's to class 15+.

In Civ, you have far more control over your cities / sources (of units and revenue). You can have maximum 20 tile cities if you desire, or limit yourself. GalCiv doesn't have that.

One last gripe. In GalCiv, Earth itself isn't correct. Sometimes it's class 15, sometimes 23. And doesn't show what Earth actually looks like. Plus, Sol has 9 planets, not 3, 4, or 5.

I'll play Civ series, SMAC, and RoN over GalCiv.

In short, GalCiv was a worse disappointment than MOO3 for me.
Old February 13, 2004, 13:45   #106
vmxa1
Deity

I too have not played GalCiv in a long time. It was not poorly done, but did not inspire me to play over and over.
Old February 13, 2004, 18:28   #107
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign
I was hyped about GalCiv, because I was under the belief that it would be similiar to Civ series or SMAC set in space, with planets as cities, and stuff like that.

I think people lose interest in GalCiv, as opposed to Civ series and SMAC, because GalCiv is pretty limited in battles and building up of planets.

From what I can remember, many times my planets in GalCiv can't support all planet improvements like my self-sufficient cities in Civ3. So I modded all the expenses by half, and still can't be self-sustaining. Ugh.

There's one other thing. You're very limited in improving the planets themselves, so I'm forced to either mod the "kill worms" planet quality bonuses by ridiclious amounts, such as 500% to 2000% just to get planet class 2, 3, and 4's and 5's to class 15+.

In Civ, you have far more control over your cities / sources (of units and revenue). You can have maximum 20 tile cities if you desire, or limit yourself. GalCiv doesn't have that.

One last gripe. In GalCiv, Earth itself isn't correct. Sometimes it's class 15, sometimes 23. And doesn't show what Earth actually looks like. Plus, Sol has 9 planets, not 3, 4, or 5.

I'll play Civ series, SMAC, and RoN over GalCiv.

In short, GalCiv was a worse disappointment than MOO3 for me.
I kind of like Gal Civ but it does have fatal flaws:

1. Earth's intitial size is limited to 20, now why can't it be a 22-28 once in a while???
2. Only alien races can find precurser items (imagine my suprise when the Alterian disovered a device that GAVE them 100 corvettes or when the Drengin suddenly recieved 8 size 27-34 size planets due to one.) why can't the human be hooked up????
3. The diplomacy screen interface is awkward and clumsy.
4. Its absolutely impossible to protect your territory, ships go through it as they wish.
5. The difficulty levels increase too rapidly and depend on bonuses given to AI for research.
6. There are no modules on starbases to increase your economy or morale: only combat, production, and influence can be increased by Starbases.
7. Battles are limited and are based primarily on who has the biggest baddest ships (SB's can offset these advantages though)

Now a couple of counterpoints:
1. Not every planet should be able to be inhabitable. (unless you are seriously high in the tech tree) Making the worms with a +100 PQ would be cheating ( a 20 size planet would be a 40 with that improvement) and it makes you seriously evil in any event.
2. Planet's are not meant to have every single improvement but most can be built IF you build them in a reasonable order. Use of the sliders is necessary in order to keep your economy in the black.
Old February 14, 2004, 06:12   #108
Qilue
King

Something unusual, an on-topic post.

I should mention that I too have given up playing Civ3, but for a different reason. Specifically the new system where games played using a modified rules file aren't recorded in the HoF.

It seemed to me that Firaxis is trying to impose their morality on my single player gaming experience. So until I read in a patch readme where this 'feature' has been removed, I shall not be buying Civ3 Conquests and Firaxis can shove their morality up their arse.
Old February 14, 2004, 11:39   #109
asleepathewheel
Emperor

yes, I hate this. many people hate this.

there is a way to edit the HoF and add your games, but that's worse than modding yourself a huge advantage.

I hate this, absolutely hate it.
Old February 14, 2004, 13:22   #110
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

I don't see why that matters, you're playing with yourself anyway. You'll know you did well with out a hof entry. But if it really bugged you, couldn't you rename your scenario to conquest.biq and back up the old one. Then toss the renamed scenario in its place so you can play and have the wins recorded in the hof? (Assuming you're using Conquests.)
Old February 14, 2004, 13:30   #111
asleepathewheel
Emperor

doesn't work.

and I can't remember games taht I played last month, not to mention last year. Scores would help that a bit.
Old February 14, 2004, 13:39   #112
vmxa1
Deity

I am not sure what morality has to do with the HoF. I would suspect it has more to do with them wanting to head off any complaints about cheating.

I think they were wrong and should beef up the HoF, but I don't give it much though. You could make your own spread sheet to track the games.
Old February 15, 2004, 10:50   #113
Sovereign
Prince

HoF = Hall of Fame, right?

I think Firaxis didn't want custom games to be recorded because of pumping the scores.

For example, Poly people decide on a contest to see who can get the highest score on Hall of Fame.

Someone decides to make a custom game with the following rules:

No unhappy people
Put all 8 luxury items in your contient or island
All city citizens only eat 1 food
Make all terrain produce 50 food
etc.

That way, players would get size 1000 cities, and everybody and their mama would be doped happy on drugs, etc.

The population would be thru the roof and the high score would be insane compared to un-modded, original rules games.
Old February 15, 2004, 14:53   #114
vmxa1
Deity

That may have been their thinking, but it is silly. I mean, I do not see anyone posting HoF scores. I think I have seen it about 3 times. Those were probably about how the feature does or does not work, more than here is my great score.

This is because everyone understands it can be edited anyway.
If it is to have a use, it is as a history for the indiviual. That is why it shoulld allow all games to be saved and have more data. Even a bunch of open fields for players to add in information.
Old February 16, 2004, 16:32   #115
Sovereign
Prince

Hmm... hadn't thought of it that way, VXMA.

I was under the assumption that people would brag about their scores over the internet. I've seen such things done with several multi-player online games.

People would boast that they found incredible gear (for RPG on-line games, brag on RPG on-line game boards), brag 100 kill games for multi-player FPS in the game chat / join screens, etc.

Some people love to brag, so I think Firaxis wanted to avoid turning Civ3 into a brag-fest.

Thats why and how I came up to my conclusion in my previous post.

That aside, I agree that the HoF should allow for scenario games. It can help you figure out and compare how well you did with your current game to your last one. I think HoF should add in a few features such as...

1. Amount of warmongering you did
2. Battle victories / losses
3. How many cities you built
4. How many cities you captured
5. Show how much general infrastructure you built
6. Show how much general infrastructure the AI built
7. more ideas like above to compare your and the AI progress

I haven't "finished" a Civ3 game in a long time. I tend to quit once either of the following happens:

1. Turns become too long with too many units to fortify or move around (100's of units like in BamSpeedy's Beyond Sid game)

2. The map gets boring with no interesting battles or diplomacy situations. In other words... "500 tanks kills a civ with 100 total units" situation.

Hence, I forgot if some of my ideas are already in the HoF.

Last edited by Sovereign; February 16, 2004 at 16:39.
Old February 16, 2004, 16:36   #116
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:16
Is there any way for the HOF's for the vanilla civ to show up on the hall of fame for C3C?
Old February 16, 2004, 17:40   #117
vmxa1
Deity

One of the things I would have used it for was to keep track of the types of maps and civs I have played.

I do not have any idea if I ever played a tiny map for instance. When was the last time I played as Rome or have I ever used Korea. What maps, what civs, when?

That is what I wanted. I should have made a spread sheet, but it is too late now.
Old February 17, 2004, 19:41   #118
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
The next civ should really be based more around multiplaying. I have never found the computer to be a fun opponent. The howls of outrage from the smegging of a real person is so much more fulfilling.
Old February 17, 2004, 19:48   #119
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 18:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
The next civ should really be based more around multiplaying. I have never found the computer to be a fun opponent. The howls of outrage from the smegging of a real person is so much more fulfilling.
It's difficult to make a turn based strategy game based more around multiplayer.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old February 17, 2004, 19:57   #120
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart

It's difficult to make a turn based strategy game based more around multiplayer.
I don't know - I was reminiscing about Imperium Galacticum in another thread. That was turn based and I used to love it.

Human beings are so much better to play against.