Old January 30, 2004, 17:32   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
New all purpose Baldurs Gate thread
please post here your comments on your current game of BG1 or BG2, comments on the quality of these games, needs for improvement, etc, Q and A about BG,
also general comments about infinity engine, etc.
Old January 30, 2004, 17:42   #2
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 12:19
I posted the link in the old thread.

The old thread is
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...44#post2679419
Old January 30, 2004, 18:58   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:19
Thanks rah

Well, as the resident self-appointed IE guru, it was about time I completed my collection. Unknown to Mrs Jamski, a parcel today delivered my ridiculously expensive second-hand copy of Planescape : Torment.

Now, this game was always somehow "left in the shade" in terms of popularity by the BG and IWD series, but praised to high heaven by those that played it. Low sales meant it was quickly taken off the shelves, however, after only one patch.

Playing it for the first time I see why.

It is really as different to BG and IWD as can be while still using the same engine, and the reason is the setting. Sigil is NOT like Faerún at all.

However - what the game DOES very well (and I'm still only in the first area of Sigil - the Hive) is create a world, and populate it with real people. Example - every single zombie worker in the Mortuary has a different description, and a short "conversation" (i.e. you say things to the zombies, and they ignore you in different ways) This game is really polished to the last detail.

More to come as I complete my IE oddessy this coming week

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 30, 2004, 22:44   #4
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 18:19
I've just bought it as well on ebay but got distracted by Soulbringer that came with my copy.

Not so keen on Throne of Bhaal after eventually finding it. Little roleplaying and much combat. Currently tempted by the Icewind Dale pack on amazon but from what i've read it seems to be another slug fest.
Old January 31, 2004, 00:27   #5
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 10:19
Yeah I still haven't gotten back to PS:T yet either. ...After NWN I guess...
Old January 31, 2004, 04:02   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Thanks rah

Well, as the resident self-appointed IE guru, it was about time I completed my collection. Unknown to Mrs Jamski, a parcel today delivered my ridiculously expensive second-hand copy of Planescape : Torment.

Now, this game was always somehow "left in the shade" in terms of popularity by the BG and IWD series, but praised to high heaven by those that played it. Low sales meant it was quickly taken off the shelves, however, after only one patch.

Playing it for the first time I see why.

It is really as different to BG and IWD as can be while still using the same engine, and the reason is the setting. Sigil is NOT like Faerún at all.

However - what the game DOES very well (and I'm still only in the first area of Sigil - the Hive) is create a world, and populate it with real people. Example - every single zombie worker in the Mortuary has a different description, and a short "conversation" (i.e. you say things to the zombies, and they ignore you in different ways) This game is really polished to the last detail.

More to come as I complete my IE oddessy this coming week

-Jam
I have most of the games. Though I don't have Icewind Dale 1. I borrowed that from my brother.

BTW I see you over at the interplay forums. I post as Pip Boy over there. I posted a thread in the Planescape forums asking where to find spell scrolls. I'm having trouble finding any.

Planescape is an interesting game. I honestly can't say it is one of my favourite of the IE games. In fact it may be my least favourite. But it is interesting enough to play. I love the story. But I've had trouble finishing it. I often play a little, put it down for a few months, then play some more, then put it down.

Anyways this is the 2nd time I have resumed playing. Although I then went and played KOTOR the other day . And then last night I was playing around with Fallout. I still love fallout, but I know that game backwards and forwards, I doubt I will play anymore anytime soon. So I think tomorrow I'll get back to planescape. It gets a little more interesting as you pick up more NPC's. I just picked up Annah. I like the guy with the Zerth blade- I can't think of his name. He has a ton of dialogue. If you train for a mage there are many things you can discuss with him. The history of his people is kind of interesting.
Old January 31, 2004, 11:04   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Heh, I saw Pip Boy, and thought "Oh - same avatar as Diss used to have!" Ah, its good to know that my feeling was right

Yeah, I picked up the Gith, Dak'kon, last night. He's really cool. Not a bad fighter, not a bad mage either, and you can learn lots of things from him. I can't get Annah to join me yet... But I'm sure I'll work it out soon.

And Morte is pretty much invunerable isn't he? Base AC of 2 (which is amazing in a game with practically no armour) and 75% resistance to slashing, piercing or bludgeoning damage. Sweet. I just send him off as a decoy.

Gotta play more untill I have everything in my head like the other IE games, then I can tell you where all the scrolls are Diss

-Jam
Old January 31, 2004, 15:10   #8
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 19:19
Planescape Torment is THE BEST RPG period. Played Morrowind, KOTOR, both Baldur`s Gates, Icewind Dale, Fallout 2 and I still think it is the best RPG. I have already completed it four times. It has a lot of details and a totally bizarr world.
And Jamski, you will be later able to converse with some spirits of the zombies in the Morgue. There tons of details. Party members are the most original members invented, wait till you get Nordom or Ignus, You will be also able (at the later part of the game) to get extremely powerful weapon, perhaps most powerful weapon in all RPGs, Entropic Blade. Enjoy
Old January 31, 2004, 21:24   #9
JimMac
Prince

Anyone have trouble with Baldurs Gate (1) freezing quite frequently? The screen completely freezes, the cursor doesnt move, although the music plays perfectly! It also 'appears' to happen with increasing frequency so that I might get an hours play, then freeze,-reboot, then 20 minutes play then freeze,- reboot then maybe 5 minutes, etc.

I installed the latest patch, then the dx8 patch.(Although I have dx9 installed) I can play loads of other games without any problems.

Strangely, BG2 did not display any of these problems

I have Win98se and an ATI Radeon 7200. I have a feeling, though I am not sure why, that it might be due to my ATI drivers having problems with the 640*480 res., (Cat 3.9, I have also tried Cat 3.8 but these had the same problems)

Anyone any clues? Suggestions welcome!

Jim
Old February 1, 2004, 09:09   #10
Jamski
Deity

Turn off hardware accelleration on your card settings and see if that helps.

Quote:
Planescape Torment is THE BEST RPG period.
It seems pretty damm good so far

-Jam
Old February 1, 2004, 15:48   #11
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 19:19
Quote:
It seems pretty damm good so far

-Jam
It gets better and better and better.... and then comes the end
Old February 1, 2004, 17:11   #12
lord of the mark
Deity

BG1:

Ch 7
Ok, ive made it throught the fight at the
Spoiler:
ducal palace and ended up at the thieves guild, with access to the warrens

Unfortunately ive lost jaheira, my PC is badly hurt, and Minsc is not as equipped as I would like. Is it possible/worthwhile to move around aboveground before going back? Id like to go to a temple and heal jaheira, and get more stuff for Minsc.
Old February 1, 2004, 19:08   #13
Jamski
Deity

Yes, just go out the front door of the place and back on the street.

BUT CHECK YOUR REPUTATION!!!!!!!

Its possible to drop to a VERY low score if you accidentally killed some innocents in THAT rumpus, and shopkeepers may be unfriendly. I dropped to a rep of 1 there once, and Adjantis left.

-Jam
Old February 2, 2004, 19:08   #14
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Yes, just go out the front door of the place and back on the street.

BUT CHECK YOUR REPUTATION!!!!!!!

Its possible to drop to a VERY low score if you accidentally killed some innocents in THAT rumpus, and shopkeepers may be unfriendly. I dropped to a rep of 1 there once, and Adjantis left.

-Jam
thanks, i'll try that.
Old February 2, 2004, 19:15   #15
Jamski
Deity

It is hard to resist blocking the two doorways and letting fly with the Arrows of Detonation, yes?

-Jam
Old February 3, 2004, 11:17   #16
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
It is hard to resist blocking the two doorways and letting fly with the Arrows of Detonation, yes?

-Jam
I did lose rep, all the way down to 10. I didnt use arrows of detonation - when i did that before, i killed both dukes. I presume there will be some point underground where it will make sense to use them.

I got stuck fighting the ogre jellies in the thieves maze. Will reload, and "prepare" for that battle. Since magic doesnt work, i will use imoen as backstabber. Will have minsc use axes instead of majic arrows. Use monster summoning. Then try to rest after that.
Old February 3, 2004, 12:04   #17
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

I got stuck fighting the ogre jellies in the thieves maze.

OCRE Jellies.

Sorry my geeky side sometimes wins over my more endearing qualities
Old February 3, 2004, 12:06   #18
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
when i did that before, i killed both dukes.
I vow to avenge the memory of my fallen brothers! LotM, watch your back!

Well I have finally decided to give up trying to get cheap rubbish on edonkey, and have just bought BG from Amazon. Should be here in a couple of days, so if anyone can chip in with some excuses for my girlfriend then I'd be most grateful.
Old February 3, 2004, 12:16   #19
centrifuge
Prince

Tell her that you have to leave town for a month...
Old February 3, 2004, 12:23   #20
duke o' york
Emperor

But...

I want to keep her,
I want to keep my job,
I want to keep my friends, and
I want to keep myself alive because she wouldn't be prepared to bring me food.

But I also quite fancy some isometric RPG fun.
Old February 3, 2004, 12:41   #21
centrifuge
Prince

well then, my friend, moderation is your only recourse. (ie play when you have time and more importantly when she's not around ) Trust me, my wife despises BG, because it took up so much of my time
Old February 3, 2004, 14:31   #22
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge

OCRE Jellies.

Sorry my geeky side sometimes wins over my more endearing qualities

I only get geeky about about history games. a fantasy setting is my chance to be completely ungeeky (now if this were set in a more stricly Tolkien world ..... )
Old February 3, 2004, 18:05   #23
Jamski
Deity

LotM. Get a pizza, take the phone off the hook and call in sick. You have entered the "reload zone"

I think the thiefs' maze contains one of the hardest fights in all the IE games.

Spoiler:
Two magic-proof and arrow-proof skeleton warriors behind a lethal trap in a narrow corridor, who have magic ice arrows...

Just try, try and try again...

As for your rep - you must have got some civillians I found the arrows were best for the Iron Throne top floor BTW.

-Jam
Old February 3, 2004, 18:45   #24
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
LotM. Get a pizza, take the phone off the hook and call in sick. You have entered the "reload zone"

I think the thiefs' maze contains one of the hardest fights in all the IE games.

Spoiler:
Two magic-proof and arrow-proof skeleton warriors behind a lethal trap in a narrow corridor, who have magic ice arrows...

-Jam
Will arrows of detonation not work against them either??

Seriously, im not enthralled enough with this game to go through more than a reasonable numder of reloads to get past such a fight. I will read the walkthroughs and even cheat to get past. If necessary i will simply drop the game.
Old February 3, 2004, 18:48   #25
centrifuge
Prince

you'll be fine, use some bullets and slings, and don't be afraid to run
Old February 3, 2004, 18:50   #26
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
If necessary i will simply drop the game.
BTW, this sir is blasphemy
Old February 3, 2004, 19:01   #27
centrifuge
Prince

Oh, and just buff everybody up bless, aid, haste (espescially haste) etc. and try to take them on one at a time if possible, by luring one with a hasted character wearing boots of speed.
Old February 4, 2004, 06:50   #28
duke o' york
Emperor

Quote:
If necessary I will simply drop the game.
Lord Jamski, Lord Jamski! Can we burn the heretic?
Old February 4, 2004, 07:25   #29
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

If magic and arrows don't work, neither will detonation ones. Slings will, or disarm the trap and use hand to hand. I have to say, I finished BGI and can't particularly remember that fight, so there must be a relatively easy way

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 4, 2004, 07:40   #30
duke o' york
Emperor

Can you not somehow lure the enemies into the trap?

Just a thought - my copy hasn't arrived yet, but since I only ordered it yesterday then I shouldn't get too excited too early.