Old February 27, 2004, 10:31   #301
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sorry Drogue!
I was just joking - I don't exect you to have committed the manual to heart (that's Jamski's job). I was just mucking about with the fact that this thread is filling up with spoilers and is pretty unreadable for Stuie.
Sorry if you didn't get the terrible gag.

(If I was really having a go, then I don't think dummy would be quite the term I'd use, whether I had to stay within the bounds of site decency or not)
Old February 27, 2004, 10:47   #302
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 17:19
I know it was joke I was just explaining why I forgot

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 27, 2004, 12:32   #303
duke o' york
Emperor

Before I go, can I just copy the ease of use pack straight to the folder with BG in?
Old February 27, 2004, 12:50   #304
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Yes.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 28, 2004, 17:50   #305
Stuie
King

Local Time: 13:19
Well, it's the weekend, so I've been playing like crazy (when not feeding the baby/taking care of the boys/annoying my wife - oh, wait, I annoy my wife by playing ). Anyway, some seeming dead-ends at this point:

The Unseeing Eye quest - should I level up a bunch before trying this one? I ran into some monsters after a couple riddles at a bridge that almost instantly killed my PC.

Haerdalis on another plane - same thing.

I just started chapter 3 - should Imoen be my main focus, or should I keep poking around the city? By the way, I haven't even left the city yet, other than the one attempt that resulted in picking up the poisoned guy and returning to the city.

Oh, and I managed the Stone Gollems....

Spoiler:
I hasted and invisibiled my PC and Jehira, snuck past the gollems, summoned a dryad and fought the cowled wizard dude. The dryad cast that spell that reflects spells back on the caster (can't remember the spell name) and the wizard guy died almost instantly. Then my PC and Jehira collected the goodies, ran past the gollems, the whole party ran out of the house, and we were quick enough that the gollems didn't follow. Cheap, huh?
Old February 28, 2004, 21:20   #306
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
The Unseeing Eye quest - should I level up a bunch before trying this one? I ran into some monsters after a couple riddles at a bridge that almost instantly killed my PC.
I would suggest it. It is a long and hard quest. The bit your doing isn't too hard (finding the rod part) but the next part is harder. Depends what level you're on. It's a tough quest, but possibly doable.

Quote:
Haerdalis on another plane - same thing.
Pretty easy at the moment, will get harder. Not as hard as unseeing eye, but there arehard parts.

Quote:
I just started chapter 3 - should Imoen be my main focus, or should I keep poking around the city? By the way, I haven't even left the city yet, other than the one attempt that resulted in picking up the poisoned guy and returning to the city.
Personally, absolutely not. I do all the chapter 2 quests before finishing the chapter 3 ones. For RP reasons maybe, but personally, I think getting enough XP from doing those before going to rescue Imoen is a better bet.

Old February 29, 2004, 03:33   #307
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:19
yep, finish more chapter 2 quests. It will allow you to do more things in the Underdark.

Here are some good quests to finish before finishing up chapter 3.

Slaver quest, and sentient sword, Nalia's Keep, Umar hills, windspear hills, trademeet, Harper quest, sphere thingy in the slums (Valygars quest), unseeing eye quest, those quests in the dock involving Edwin, and your stronghold quests.

there are some more quests that are nice to do in some of the city areas. Korgan's quests in the graveyard (and other places), Bridge murder quests, Anomen's quest,
Old February 29, 2004, 10:01   #308
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
I ran into some monsters after a couple riddles at a bridge that almost instantly killed my PC.
These are the baby versions of what comes later in this quest. Be VERY afraid (unless you bought a certain sheild from Deirdre)

-Jam
Old February 29, 2004, 16:21   #309
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
(unless you bought a certain sheild from Deirdre)
I doubt it. Unless you know you're going to need it, it looks like a lot of money for a not-so-great item. But then in my file, Korgan has 3 shields for different purposes (Balduran's, Dragon Plate and +3 Medium) so he's normally my fall guy. Jaheira has the lowest AC however, due to Fortress Shield, which I might give to Korgan soon. Then he'd be -9 AC

Almost finished the Chapter 2 Quests now, only got Trademeet and the Planar Sphere left to do

Old March 1, 2004, 06:40   #310
duke o' york
Emperor

I reached Nashkel (to interrupt your talk of this mysterious other world ) at the weekend, but since I was playing while in an advanced state of alcoholic refreshment then I've probably boobooed somewhere (like saving over the wrong file for example ). I haven't done much at Nahskel, though I killed the assassin in the pub at the entrance and will then be going round to talk to people. I killed the rogue cleric by Beregost and got the tasty reward for him. Fortunately all the skeletons died as soon as he did so it wasn't as tough as it could have been.
Xzar was killed by a knoll that he decided to chase. I wasn't too bothered as I filled the knoll full of arrows and then collected all the stuff I wanted from Xzar's body. Imoen is now at level 3, with only 60 or 65% find traps, but hopefully I can duel her at level 5 with these scores. I'd rather do it sooner than later, but obviously I want her to have some chance of surviving battles when she can't take care of herself any more. I didn't buy anything from Thalantyr, but will definitely be going back to do so later on, as he's got some great things. Would anyone care to tell me which spells would be useful later on? Also, do cleric spells just come "from God" when you level up, or can you have a choice of them, or buy them anywhere? I haven't bothered to donate money to the temples to increase my rep, as this is a waste of good money this early on. (and I'm tight)
Old March 1, 2004, 09:02   #311
Stuie
King

You know, what determines when those cowled guys show up? I got jumped by some harpers who immediately started pounding me with magic, but of course I refrained not wanting to incur the wrath of the cowled guys. Well, they showed up anyway and started attacking MY party. WTF!? It's the damned harpers that are using the magic!

Quote:
Would anyone care to tell me which spells would be useful later on? Also, do cleric spells just come "from God" when you level up, or can you have a choice of them, or buy them anywhere? I haven't bothered to donate money to the temples to increase my rep, as this is a waste of good money this early on. (and I'm tight)
I'm still trying to figure out a good spell mix, and I'm playing the second game! For me it's trial and error, and unfortunately errors are deadly.

The cleric spells apparently "come from god." You get no choice in the matter.

As for donating, I never do. It's easy enough to increase you reputation through good deeds, so you shouldn't be throwing your money away. My rep max'd out pretty quick in BG1.
Old March 1, 2004, 09:06   #312
duke o' york
Emperor

Well I'm up to 15 or so, but if I reach 19 before finding a new fighter then the dwarf will leave the party.

Can I find a fighter somewhere who can use the (probably magical) warhammer I took from the evil cleric?
Old March 1, 2004, 09:37   #313
Stuie
King

Would you settle for a good cleric? Not sure how much you want given away, so...

Spoiler:
Branwen is located near the middle of the carnival map just east of Naskell.

and even more spoilerish about that:

Spoiler:
Only one problem - she's been turned to stone.

I could also point you to a Paladin that I grabbed pretty early and kept with me the whole game...

Spoiler:
Arjantis is located on the map directly north of the Friendly Arms Inn. You won't be strong enough this early to handle the whole map, but you can enter, grab him, and leave without facing any enemies.
Old March 1, 2004, 09:46   #314
duke o' york
Emperor

Before uncovering your naughty spoilers, can a cleric use this warhammer (I'm guessing they can, because I took it from one), and does the good cleric in question actually have any proficiency stars in it?

And I know I'm supposed to be forming a good party here, but I can't stand sucky paladins. Sanctimonious buggers! Yak!
Old March 1, 2004, 10:47   #315
Stuie
King

Actually she's true neutral, come to think of it. I think she has a proficiency of one for blunt weapons when you find her.
Old March 1, 2004, 12:22   #316
Drogue
staff

Yes cleric's can use warhammers. Indeed, it's probably a waste for fighters to, since they can use better weapons, IMHO.

Old March 1, 2004, 12:28   #317
duke o' york
Emperor

Jaheira can't use it though?
Old March 2, 2004, 06:14   #318
Jamski
Deity

No, she's a Fighter/Druid.

She can only use druid weapons, but luckily she CAN use fighter armour.

Best for her is the +2 poison dagger from the smith in Beregost and a BIG MAGIC SHEILD. (As a fighter she hits pretty often with the dagger and the poison is lethal at BG1 levels)

-Jam
Old March 2, 2004, 06:48   #319
duke o' york
Emperor

Damn!
I forgot to go and look in the chests in the smithy in the middle of the night.

Never mind, I'll have to go back anyway to see Thalantyr and buy some of his stuff, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to go thievin'. I'll have to remember to do it before Imoen loses her thief skills. I definitely do not want to be caught by the watch in the smithy, as the smith and his helpers could probably beat the hell out of me with magic weapons before the watch even got through the door. Also, I might need him in future. Can he make magic items if you take him things? Got any suggestions? Oddly enough, I don't have any dragon scales just lying around for the moment, but should I come across something like that then I quite fancy some decent armour.
Old March 2, 2004, 08:34   #320
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
Can he make magic items if you take him things? Got any suggestions?
Let's just say that any time you kill a large creature and it leaves something behind that has no obvious use, it probably has a use. Or if you want it spelled out for you...

Spoiler:
You're going to run into Ankhegs sooner or later - big green any like things that pop out of the ground a spit stuff at you. When you kill them, their shell is left behind. Only problem is they weigh something like 100lbs. Anyway, you can take them to the smith and he'll buy them for 500 gold, or you can get a conversation path in which he'll offer to make you a suit of armour for 4000 gold. Note that once he makes the armor for you, he won't buy any more shells. I've also heard that there's a bug that causes you to lose all the shells your party is carrying and you still only get 500 gold (if you're selling them). So drop them all and sell them one at a time to be safe.

Meanwhile, in that other game, I decided some time away from the city would be nice, so I finally headed out on Nalia's quest. Pretty easy going so far. Most interesting part is a servant that alluded to some nasty big creatures in the dungeon and how he had to feed them cooked dog meat. Then low and behold I found some dogs that left steaks behind when I killed them and then I found a working oven. Hmmm......

This has been a really fun quest so far. Looking forward to getting into the dungeon and seeing what's kicking about.
Old March 2, 2004, 10:24   #321
Jamski
Deity

I like the dogs Rover, Sparky, Fido and Rex IIRC. They make a very tasty stew

-Jam
Old March 2, 2004, 10:33   #322
duke o' york
Emperor

This thread is going somewhat Korean.....

I remember something from the last thread (subliminal cheating ), about having to free the woman from the rock at the circus. Will I need a wizard to do this, or is it a cleric/druid spell? I was just thinking that things are going to be a bit tough if I have to get Imoen to level 5 before making her a wizard and allowing her to open the rock.
Old March 2, 2004, 10:54   #323
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
This thread is going somewhat Korean.....

I remember something from the last thread (subliminal cheating ), about having to free the woman from the rock at the circus. Will I need a wizard to do this, or is it a cleric/druid spell? I was just thinking that things are going to be a bit tough if I have to get Imoen to level 5 before making her a wizard and allowing her to open the rock.
ahem...
Spoiler:
stone to flesh scroll, get it from the temple not from the dufus at the carnival, unless you pickpocket him
Old March 2, 2004, 11:09   #324
duke o' york
Emperor

You meanie!
I've been trying to avoid all of the spoilers posted here (well, the BG1 spoilers), so that's no use to me. I only wanted to know if the free from rock spell is wizard- or cleric-based.
Old March 2, 2004, 11:16   #325
centrifuge
Prince

Spoiler:
I think wizard, but I'm not sure
Old March 2, 2004, 11:18   #326
duke o' york
Emperor

Spoiler:
STOP IT!!!!!!

Old March 2, 2004, 11:21   #327
centrifuge
Prince

sorry, I couldn't resist

the spoiler above says " I think that it's wizard but I'm not sure" that's the case with BG2 IIRC
Old March 2, 2004, 11:38   #328
duke o' york
Emperor

Rats!

I'd better get finding me a wizard then.
Old March 2, 2004, 11:44   #329
Stuie
King

Definitely wizard. I ran into that problem when I played through BG1. I ended up doing the Minsc quest first. Have you met Minsc yet? Definitely my favorite NPCs (yes, plural - squeak! ).
Old March 2, 2004, 11:51   #330
duke o' york
Emperor

No, I've only just got to Nashkel.
I've heard of Minsc, and he sounds rather good, although I already have Kivan in my party. I don't know what boo is though - something to do with Dr Spike's sig?