Old March 15, 2004, 07:17   #421
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I've now rescued Dynaheir and made it back to Nashkel safely. I spent ages in the stronghold killing everyone, because the gnolls aren't too tough, and I couldn't find her until I went right into the bottom of the pit. One of my characters was stood half-way down the stairs into the pit during a fight, but still couldn't see her!
So far, she's been given a sling (I'm the king of the slingers, with three in my party. ) and a dagger, but I'm looking for better stuff to give her. I gave Minsc the helmet of infravision, because I've got 2 half-elves and an elf who can all see in the dark anyway. Next up, I'm off towards the mines to make myself stupendously rich!
Old March 15, 2004, 08:32   #422
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:19
Well... moderately well off anyway

For Dynahier may I reccommend the ultimate power of the "Sling +1"

(sell the helmet - if you only have one elf, the whole party can see)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 15, 2004, 08:41   #423
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
(sell the helmet - if you only have one elf, the whole party can see)
If he has group infravision on. I can't remember if the default is on or off

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 15, 2004, 08:52   #424
duke o' york
Emperor

Thanks. How much do you reckon I'd get for a magic hat then? Enough for a sling +1?
Old March 15, 2004, 08:59   #425
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Depends so much on your CHA and reputation... possibly...

-Jam
Old March 15, 2004, 09:43   #426
duke o' york
Emperor

CHA 18, Reputation 16. Any takers? C'mon sir - you won't get a genuine Rollex watch for any cheaper than this. Ratners? Don't make me laugh!
Old March 15, 2004, 12:46   #427
Jamski
Deity

You'll get an "OKish" deal with that. The difference between Rep 16 and Rep 20 is about a LOT.

Rep 16 = 10% discount
Rep 20 = 50% discount!!!

-Jam
Old March 16, 2004, 06:10   #428
duke o' york
Emperor

Well I have a long way to go in the game, and lots of nice things still to do to improve my reputation, so hopefully I can get the hero's discount soonish.

BTW, I did mean to write Rollex in my last post.
Old March 16, 2004, 06:43   #429
Jamski
Deity

So you can guess what my "power game" advice will be then...

Stash stuff for selling later in a nice chest/box/barrel somewhere.

-Jam
Old March 16, 2004, 07:00   #430
duke o' york
Emperor

My power game advice is to keep the wibbling buffon wearing the helmet and the flog it when I'm as popular as free "exotic" massages, buying him a new one then.
Old March 16, 2004, 09:46   #431
Stuie
King

Local Time: 13:19
Well, I'm already planning my next game and here's what I'm thinking:

First, I'll probably use multi-player and create either two, three or four characters as my main party. Then I'll add NPC's for specific quests and discard when finished. That way I can play around with several of the kits available instead of playing one at a time (which is a huge time investment considering I've been playing for two months and I'm still on my first run-through).

Second, I'm definitely installing the ease of use mod, and I'm considering others. Since I'll be playing somewhere from 2 to 4 "main" characters, maybe I'll actually take the plunge and install the tactics mod. I'm also thinking about using the "Virtue" mod, so that I can raise my reputation while keeping my virtue nice and low, because....

...finally, I'm going to be playing an evil party this time. Sure I'll take on the "good" quests, but only to further my own goals.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old March 16, 2004, 09:55   #432
Jamski
Deity

Sounds very good to me. I'll be interested in what you think of "Tactics"

There's a mod somewhere that gives more incentive for evil acts... like an evil weapon as good as the Holy Avenger, for example...

I'll have a lookie...

-Jam
Old March 17, 2004, 05:36   #433
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 19:19
Does anybody of you play in 1024*768
It gives a better overview, but the characters are so small to click on them, especially when they are moving!

btw that might be a good idea stuie, that multiplayer thing. However I don't have a clue what I have to play now, give me a suggestion

I have created a fighter/mage/thief now, but I probably have given him sucky stats etc
Old March 17, 2004, 05:41   #434
Jamski
Deity

I always play in 1024*768 as it looks so much better. I tend to select the characters by clicking on the portraits anyway.

Fighter/mage/thief is a great class at high levels, and you don't need good stats to be really effective. You can boost STR with the second level spell of the same name (lasts all day too) or a belt, and use potions to boost INT when you want to copy spells. CON/DEX isn't important, because a f/m/t shouldn't ever get hit... You can play this class solo with the minimum stats and PWN the game.

-Jam
Old March 17, 2004, 06:05   #435
duke o' york
Emperor

Will playing at that resolution actually show you more of the surrounding area on screen?
I agree that the characters are too large the way I play it, but I just press space whenever I get the message "enemy attacks character", and this means I can react (shoot them full of arrows) before I get beaten to crap.
Old March 17, 2004, 06:28   #436
Jamski
Deity

Playing at that res will indeed show more of the map on screen.

You can press "H" at any time too to toggle the interface panels on/off, which I like to do for Dragon fights and so on.

-Jam
Old March 17, 2004, 06:54   #437
duke o' york
Emperor

Thanks Jamski.
I don't need to read the manual when I've got you around.
(Although I really should)
Old March 17, 2004, 08:38   #438
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

I have lost my manual so...
Well I'm not going to start my game yet, because my ToB cd is still at home, and I'll only be getting it this weekend.

Oh and btw I don't need any more Bioware patches if I have ToB installed, right?
Old March 17, 2004, 08:44   #439
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 20:19
Quote:
I tend to select the characters by clicking on the portraits anyway.
I use the number keys, I'm trying to avoid the mouse as much as possible since my right arm has been hurting like hell lately. BG2 addiction isn't really helping that
Old March 17, 2004, 08:51   #440
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Oh and btw I don't need any more Bioware patches if I have ToB installed, right?
You NEED the ToB patch from Bioware and the ToB fixpack from Baldurdash (unless you like bugs/crashes)

-Jam
Old March 17, 2004, 11:21   #441
duke o' york
Emperor

As a point of interest, if I were to spot a bargain, then would it be worthwhile buying the RPG collection (with Icewind Dale and er, something else), or just BG2 on its own?
Old March 17, 2004, 12:15   #442
Jamski
Deity

It would be worth getting IWD as well if you see it. Its out of print otherwise.

Not such a good story as BG, but a better hack'n'slash

-Jam
Old March 18, 2004, 20:07   #443
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

I have ToB installed now together with the patches
My chaotic good fighter/mage/thief:

strength: 14
dexterity: 16
constitution: 14
intelligence: 18
wisdom: 10
charisma: 12

++ sling
++ sword and shield style
+(+ because I have already gained a level and an extra star ) axe

and I started with 100% find traps, so I don't have to bother raising that later

Let's kick ass, harhar. Unfortunately he only has about 22 puny hitpoints right now (and he only seems to gain 1HP/level) so anybody can take this sucker down!
Old March 18, 2004, 20:21   #444
Jamski
Deity

Stoneskin and Mirror Image = another fight with no injuries.

As for your HP, you get the HP for each class, divided by 3 each time you level (because you have 3 classes) You only have 14 CON, so 1 or 2 HPper level sounds about right. After level 9/9/9 it SHOULD be less than 1 per level.

But noone can hit you so its not important.

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 07:07   #445
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

I see, well I always feel tempted to use the invisibility-backstab combo, and I'm having a 3x multiplier right now which could do some leet damage with a decent weapon. After that I run away like a little girl and then cast some more carnage. So there's why my character could get some severe punishment
Old March 19, 2004, 07:29   #446
duke o' york
Emperor

I'm tempted to have a fighter/mage/thief as my character next time I go through BG1. (He says, only about a fifth or so through the game now, and probably less than that!) The other option is to play MP and choose the characters I want, although that would make things very easy at the beginning. How does MP with other people work? Can you play online?
(Dial-up man would be a massive drag on any party )
Old March 19, 2004, 08:39   #447
Jamski
Deity

BG online is not really an option... I suppose you could play on a LAN, but its quite sadistic to play over the net. Just getting it to work is a pita.

My first completion of the whole saga was with a F/M/T solo. She was so good by the end of Chapter 2 in BG2 that it HURT. The combination of mislead and backstab with a fighter's THACO is sick.

-Jam
Old March 21, 2004, 10:27   #448
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

I found my manual again and I noticed some things.

Is wisdom important for a mage? I have 10 points, but apparently 10 points gives 15% of spell failure, or does that only apply to priests?

I have 14 constitution, but I might as well have 6 constitution because 6-14 has no HP adjustment. If I have 16 I have +2 adjustment

And instead of having 16 dexterity (-2 AC) I could allot 18 points to dexterity (-4 AC)

I could get those 4 points from my charisma that is currently 12. However it gives 0 reaction adjustment, and 8 charisma also gives 0 reaction adjustment.

So I should go and change those stats?
Old March 21, 2004, 10:38   #449
Jamski
Deity

Yes, you should

Wisdom has no effect at all except for give priests a few extra spells. It was meant to effect casting success and saving throws, but it was never implemented. The only thing that you might need WIS for is if you are casting Wish or Limited Wish a lot... but who's doing that except cheeze merchants?

If you have ToB, then INT doesn't even effect the maximum spell level a mage can learn.

Ultimate Fighter/Mage/Thief minimum stats :

STR - not important, cast the spell "Strength" for 18/50 the whole day or wear one of the many belts that give 19 STR or higher.
DEX - as good as possible is nice, or ignore DEX and use lots of Stoneskins, Mirror Image, Blur, Improved Invisibility etc.
CON - either 8 or 16. No other amounts are worth considering.
WIS - either 3 or 18, depending if you intend to cast "Wish" at any point.
INT - 18 is nice so you can learn 12(?) spells per level, and when you get this up to 19 you can learn all the spells. Or just drink a potion of genius (INT set to 25) when you want to scribe spells.
CHA - 3, and wear the Ring of Human Influence if you want to talk to anyone/buy anything.

See, you don't need extraordinary stats. I soloed the game with a sorceror who had MINIMUM stats, who also used no stat boosting items. His STR was so low he couldn't move after he cast Melf's Minute Meteors (they are too heavy)

-Jam
Old March 22, 2004, 06:32   #450
duke o' york
Emperor

I am currently on the third level of the Nashkel mines, but can't make it past the commandos with fire arrows without losing at least one of my party. Well, I've only tried a couple of times, but after the many reloads and then surrender when trying to fight the bloke who chucks darts without getting Minsc killed then I got a bit cheesed off.
Can I have some hints with how to take on these fire arrows? I am tempted to cast Armour on Minsc, get him to drink the potion of Fire Resistance I picked up somewhere, and then charge in single-handed. He's got a +2 longsword so should make pretty short work of them, but is this a waste of the potion? I've picked up all the traps apart from one, but Minsc blundered in and hardly got harmed at all.
I'd also like some tips on how to kill the two men with the dart-throwing. I want some of those super-powerful darts! I'm tempted to back-stab the dart-chucker, because Minsc could do the other one single-handed, but I just need to get him enough time without being killed by darts. Help!