Old March 22, 2004, 07:38   #451
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hide in shadows with any thiefs/Minsc (if in light armour) and backstab the commando with the fire arrows, timed with the rest of the gang coming from the front and launching an "arrow storm"

The darts aren't powerful BTW, but he has Bracelets of Archery and 5***** in darts. Just hit him with lots of arrows really fast. Physically he's a *****.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 22, 2004, 07:51   #452
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 19:19
Quote:
See, you don't need extraordinary stats. I soloed the game with a sorceror who had MINIMUM stats, who also used no stat boosting items. His STR was so low he couldn't move after he cast Melf's Minute Meteors (they are too heavy)
Hmm then how did you carry loot to be sold off for a new staff, or some new scrolls?

edit: right the bag of holding of course..
Old March 22, 2004, 07:55   #453
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
I'm sure that there are 3 archers with fire arrows. I'm going to try to draw the normal kobolds out, and then use my sneaky characters to take out the fire archers before they can get me.
Shouldn't be too tricky.
Bracelets of Archery sound fun. I only have to keep Minsc alive long enough to give him a good hiding though.
Duchess is going away on Wednesday, so I should make lots of progress this week and next weekend.
Old March 22, 2004, 08:06   #454
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Hmm then how did you carry loot to be sold off for a new staff, or some new scrolls?

edit: right the bag of holding of course..
Of course. If you start a solo game its considered "fairplay" to CLUA in a Bag of Holding, or use SK to add one to the inventory.

I needed to carry corpses and dragon scales etc with my pathetic STR... sure

-Jam
Old March 22, 2004, 08:54   #455
Stuie
King

Local Time: 13:19
Well, I finally finished SoA. Unfortunately I lost Anomen (and more importantly all his equipment ) in the final battle. Good-bye Mace of Disruption! Good-bye Balduran's Plate! Good-bye almost every potion the group had because Anomen was my potion carrier! Oh, yeah, see ya Anomen.

So do I replay the battle and try to keep him alive, or just get over it and move ahead with my party of five? Are there any decent NPCs in ToB? And how soon will I meet them?
Old March 22, 2004, 08:57   #456
duke o' york
Emperor

I'll answer for Jamski: Replay it! Replay it as many times as it takes until none of your characters even look as though they've been in a fight!
Old March 22, 2004, 10:04   #457
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I've made some progress now. Almost finished City of Caverns, so will be in the Underdark by tomorrow. My party is scarily hard. Imoen with the Staff of Magi, so she's invisible while finding traps, and has a decent load of spells, and the boots of speed. Add Edwin and a main character Kensai/Mage and I have more spells than you can shake a stick at, including 19 magic missiles. In fact, it's so hard, I sometimes just sit back and let my main character do the whole dungeon, since he has boots of speed and does it faster (once Imoen's detrapped it). I have 100,000 GP, about 2.4 million XP each, and almost every weapon I'm going to be using by the end (with the exception of Chrom Fayer and possibly the Equaliser). I've never done past the Underdark (though I have done the Underdark before) so I hope it get's harder at some point. I have all the spells and no-one stays alive long enough for me to use them, even Irenicus.

It's almost cheesy now. I might have to put the difficultly on Unreal

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 22, 2004, 10:13   #458
duke o' york
Emperor

Or try one of the mods that Jamski's always touting....
Old March 22, 2004, 10:42   #459
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
So do I replay the battle and try to keep him alive, or just get over it and move ahead with my party of five? Are there any decent NPCs in ToB? And how soon will I meet them?
One, right at the beginning, who is a very sweet fighter with possibiliy to dualclass to Mage or Thief. No more clerics though.

I'd say you need Anomen, and the Mace of Disruption (yes, there's ALWAYS undead to fight in D&D)

Quote:
I'll answer for Jamski: Replay it! Replay it as many times as it takes until none of your characters even look as though they've been in a fight!
Ah, you know my philosophy I don't like my characters to get hit. Or even seen. Try the "Solo Underdark without resting" challenge (helps if you can regenerate) as practice.

Drogue, SoA gets too easy after Spellhold. In ToB the difficulty goes up a bit, but hey, why don't you...

Quote:
...try one of the mods that Jamski's always touting...
-Jam
Old March 22, 2004, 10:58   #460
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Ah, you know my philosophy I don't like my characters to get hit. Or even seen. Try the "Solo Underdark without resting" challenge (helps if you can regenerate) as practice.
Most decent mages have True sight cast automatically if you get near them invisible

Well drogue, don't do all the quests in athkatla then if you're going to spellhold, so you will not have so much XP...
The Beholder dungeon (without shield 'o cheese) is so difficult then
Old March 22, 2004, 11:16   #461
Jamski
Deity

Yeah, but its optional

As for mages casting True Sight, what do you think the spell "Undetectability" is for? Remember to cast BEFORE you turn invisible, as you can't target an invisible character.

There's even two cloaks in BG2 and one in BG1 that give you "Undetectabilty" while equipped. Sweet.

-Jam
Old March 22, 2004, 18:30   #462
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

!! I have never seen those yet. But then again I don't scroll through every list merchants offer as it's mostly regular shitty weaponry anyway

Btw in the copper coronet there should be a merchant with weaponry (he's non-existant in the normal version, but should be included with ToB and patches I thought), but I can't see him anywhere. Pretty important because I ave been told he sells some nice items! Odd to say the least!
Old March 22, 2004, 20:14   #463
Jamski
Deity

He's included with the disc you got if you preordered BG2. Niether ToB of the offical patchs add him... even Baldurdash doesn't...

Umm... you'll need his NAME to track him down. He's called "Jolev"

I think he's available on http://www.forgottenwars.com

He sells some Icewind Dale stuff, same as Dierdre is selling Planescape:Torment stuff. There is an air of cheese to both stores

Sorry, I don't have the normal merchants installed at the moment.

As for Non-Detection cloaks.
Spoiler:
BG1 - Cloakwood forest, map 1, southern area
BG2 - Promenade, right hand tavern, upstairs, start a fight with the dwarf (automatic with Korgan in the party)
BG2 - underdark - let Solufain live and keep his cloak.
Scroll of Non-Detection - Ribald Barterman, Adventurer's Market, Promenade.
Southern room in the cult of the eye HQ (not sure about this last one)

-Jam
Old March 22, 2004, 22:49   #464
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

arf the game keeps crashing on me... getting frustrating. instant reboots and the odd desktop crash

Last edited by Traianvs; March 22, 2004 at 23:00.
Old March 23, 2004, 03:49   #465
Jamski
Deity

Does it do this after you played a long time? This is a cache size problem. You can make it bigger in the preferences
Does it do this when playing a cutscene, or other scene change? Try installing all the files to your HD.

Those are the most common problems

If its always doing it in different places, then try and see what's making it crash.

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 08:44   #466
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

No it does not take long before it crashes, that's what bothers me. I don't care if it crashes only after a few hours..

I have done a full install (and using 1024*768 res).
It usually happens when I'm standing still for a time (like when I'm deciding which spells to memorize next, and I'm looking at the descriptions how long the spells last etc ), that usually takes some amount of time and often my computer simply reboots whil I'm doing that)
Old March 23, 2004, 08:54   #467
Jamski
Deity

You know that 1024*768 isn't officially supported...

But I never heard of a game crashing when I wasn't doing anything...

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 09:02   #468
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
One, right at the beginning, who is a very sweet fighter with possibiliy to dualclass to Mage or Thief. No more clerics though.

I'd say you need Anomen, and the Mace of Disruption (yes, there's ALWAYS undead to fight in D&D)
Ok, I played it through one more time and came out with all six characters.

Now, since you indicate there is an interesting NPC available in the near future (beginning of ToB), I'm wondering who I should get rid of. Here's the current party:

PC (Cavalier)
Minsc
Anomen
Imoen
Mazzy
Aerie

If the NPC is a fighter, it looks like a choice between Mazzy and Minsc. Are there any pluses/minuses for keeping certain NPCs in ToB? Are there any NPC specific quests?
Old March 23, 2004, 09:07   #469
Jamski
Deity

The new NPC = Minsc+massive steriods. Yes, even stronger, with 18 DEX and 18 CON too. And 5***** in 2-handed swords...

Its up to you, there are no NPC related quests like in SoA in ToB, but there are some NPC "chat" developments.

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 09:18   #470
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
The new NPC = Minsc+massive steriods. Yes, even stronger, with 18 DEX and 18 CON too. And 5***** in 2-handed swords...
But does he have a miniature giant space hamster?

How does ToB handle NPCs that leave your party? Do they stay/go somewhere, or are they just gone?
Old March 23, 2004, 09:23   #471
Jamski
Deity

You get a "pocket plane" from which you can summon any living NPC to help you.

No hamster, but he does have other abilites...
Spoiler:
Deathblow for the extra 200 points of damage is good

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 09:27   #472
duke o' york
Emperor

This mystery character you both seem to be avoiding naming (possibly because Stuie hasn't ever met him) seems incredibly tough.
I'm just wishing that I had taken a fighter instead of a ranger as my character because only having 2 proficiency points seems a shame. Never mind, I suppose I could get someone else in. Do only fighters get more than 2 proficiency stars in weapons? I can't remember and I was only reading the manual on Sunday afternoon.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:31   #473
Jamski
Deity

Only fighters, yep.

They get them more often too.

That's really the only advantage of being a fighter.

Quote:
This mystery character you both seem to be avoiding naming (possibly because Stuie hasn't ever met him) seems incredibly tough.
Without a question the best stats of any NPC in the BG series, a COOL voice set, some great conversations with the PC... not to everyone's taste though

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 09:37   #474
Stuie
King

Actually I know who it is, and I've seen him before... but he was on the wrong end of my blade that time. I also ran into his ghost near the end of SoA.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:38   #475
duke o' york
Emperor

Now I'm confused.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:46   #476
Jamski
Deity

You should be.

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 09:57   #477
Stuie
King

Wouldn't want to give anything away, DoY.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:59   #478
duke o' york
Emperor

I want to know!
Old March 23, 2004, 10:09   #479
Jamski
Deity

If you REALLY want to know, highlight the spoiler below. I suggest you don't spoil the huge bigs shocking surprise that turns the whole BG story on its head.
Spoiler:
No chance, Dukie *sticks out tounge*

Can you resist it?

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 10:40   #480
duke o' york
Emperor

Well if you're going to be like that, then I don't want to know any more. Delete your spoiler lest anyone else have the whole series ruined for them! I'll just have to find out for myself!

I'll need a copy of BGII first though. Damn!