Old February 4, 2004, 07:49   #31
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Its a magic trap... so it wouldn't work.

I suggest you see what kind of attacks/traps you are facing, then go back out the maze and buy potions that protect against that. It took me a day to give in and do that though on my first play-through.

Unless you can turn the whole party invisible...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 4, 2004, 07:50   #32
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

If only Glitterdust was available in BGI

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 4, 2004, 07:52   #33
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Spoiler:
Or use the cheapest cheap trick in all the IE games and just flood the area with summoned creatures - BG1 has no summoning limit so you can fill the screen...

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 10:25   #34
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
ok, beat the two skeletons and it only took about a dozen reloads.

I had Imoen drink an invisibility potion and deal with the traps. I still took a couple of reloads to get the hang of dealing with all the traps. when id gotten that down i made the mistake of having her cast monster summoning while right near the skeletons - they shoot at her and keep her from getting the spell off. Finally tried having her go back to the party while still invisible, then send 3 fighters with bashing weapons and as many protective spells and potions as possible - keeping Jaheira nearby to heal - shooting bullets when not healing - and of course THEN have imoen cast monster summoning, twice. one batch (of what turned out to be gnoll elites) on the far side of the skeletons, one in between/around the skeletons. so skeleton 2 is completely busy fighting the first batch of gnolls, while skeleton 1 is fighting my fighters, with gnolls at his back.

Doing this, i managed to win and keep entire party alive.
But we are rather short on potions now, and somewhat short on bullets and arrows. Im thinking of heading back to the surface, but id rather not if it can be avoided.
Old February 4, 2004, 10:54   #35
Jamski
Deity

Ah, a dozen isn't bad. Well, not too bad.

See why having Imoen as a Mage/Thief was smart now? A desision noone regrets.

I'd go back now and make sure you have healing and fire protection stuff. Just a hint

Spoiler:
You're well advised to spend every last gold coin at this point. You won't get another chance.

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 11:07   #36
Jamski
Deity

BTW, I finished PS:T this afternoon. Wow... my brain is spinning. What a strange odd mad perculiar ending. I replayed the last scene a few times and found 4 different odd endings... I suppose there's even more.

And what's with the xxxxx that gives you 2,000,000 EXP points! That put me up from level 16 to level 23!!!!! That has to be a "hidden extra"

Spoiler:
I let my Lim Lim die by taking it to the Negative Material Plane. When I tried to talk to it, it said "The poor Lim Lim's blackened corpse shows that it could not resist the Negative Material Plane" or something. I felt so guilty. That Lim Lim had been everywhere with me.

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 11:19   #37
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
See why having Imoen as a Mage/Thief was smart now? A desision noone regrets.
Nah, she makes a great thief keeping her single

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 4, 2004, 11:21   #38
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
I have no idea what the spoiler has to do with the rest of the post. Maybe the xxxxx is supposed to stand for something meaningful. I assume that the game doesn't tell you: "You've found 345g and an xxxxx!"

Anyway, back to the real matter in hand.
I ought to get BG tomorrow (can't play it tomorrow night, but that's typical of my luck generally ).
Should I just dive in and work things out for myself, with the possibility of occasional expert advice from the new mayor of Baldur's Gate, Lord Jamski? Alternatively I could visit the site that his Lordship posted in the other thread and download some of the fancy patches. Given that the game is new then it won't be patched to working condition, so recommend which ordinary patch to get before I start to fiddle about with the more outlandish ones.
Old February 4, 2004, 11:34   #39
Jamski
Deity

Get the latest BG patch - unless you get the newest release, which I think comes prepatched. Load it up and see what version you have, and compare.

BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARE PATCHED!!!!!!

http://www.bioware.com/games/baldurs...pport/patches/
is the official patch for the old version.

http://www.bioware.com/games/tales_s...original_saga/
And here's the patch information if you have "The Original Saga" boxed set.

Otherwise I wouldn't install any other patches.

As for mods.... well, play it through once first.

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 11:35   #40
Jamski
Deity

Oh, and the xxxx is to totally not give any clue as to what the item or character or location is

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 11:43   #41
duke o' york
Emperor

This is the version I've bought, so which patch do you think I'd need?

I'm very grateful for all your help your Lordship, and may well be returning before the Throne of Jam to pick up some hints once I get the thing going.

Old February 4, 2004, 12:24   #42
Jamski
Deity

That's the Skull Throne of Lord Jam on the 666th level of the Abyss BTW

It doesn't say which version it is... but I see you are getting TotSC too, so... *thinks*

Ah yes, if you have the 6CD version AND TotSC, then you need THIS patch... (of course, the one I didn't mention)
http://www.bioware.com/games/tales_s...pport/patches/

If you get the version that has "Original Saga" on the front (3 CDs) - this isn't the original saga, its the rerelease, and see the info above.

Hope that helps.

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 12:30   #43
duke o' york
Emperor

Yes..... he says for the time being, unaware of what will actually be in the box, but hoping that Jamski will let him off using the slang name of his throne.

There we are then. I shall download both patches when I get the game and take both home to use if required.
Old February 4, 2004, 12:52   #44
Jamski
Deity

Well, since I am a chaotic neutral god, I'll just maze you for 50 years.

Why?

I felt like it

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 16:35   #45
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 19:19
Quote:
Oh, and the xxxx is to totally not give any clue as to what the item or character or location is

-Jam
The xxxx, (you found out [applause]) gave me once 5000000 xp points.

And you must admit that the end is just to easy.

My advice - start a new game and play it again
It is very different from fighter and mage perspective.

Last edited by Illuminatus; February 4, 2004 at 16:45.
Old February 4, 2004, 17:11   #46
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 10:19
The Thieves' cellar maze is a chore nobody deserves to plod through (much like Firewine ruins--thank Tymora for Gullykin backdoors).

I always make everyone invisible, walk past everyone and everything (take a hike, Skeleton Warriors), and simply enter the undercity.
Old February 4, 2004, 17:27   #47
Jamski
Deity

Well, there is a big clue in the dialogue with zzzz before he merges with the yyyy that gave away the clue what xxxx was for. I'm glad TNO had it and not one of the others because of vvvv

I played as a mage, and it was pretty straightforward if you know how IE games "think" The game has a funny structure though. The first half is all talky talky chatty questy stuff with a pretty free structure like the first half of BG2, but less fighting and MORE sub quests. The second half was a linear hack'n'slash though (but still very engaging) as you are forced along the stoyline in order to progress. Underneath Curst, Baator and Canceri were just fight fight fight fight fight against waves of tough monsters, with VERY crucial conversations inbetween.

Nice game though, veeeery nice.

Marid - how do you avoid the traps? You can't disarm them while invisible can you?

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 17:31   #48
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

due to bug - even mage can equip Entropic blade
You merged with xyxyxx?

Fight against him is ridiculously easy (aunlike irenicus)
Old February 4, 2004, 17:41   #49
Marid Audran
Warlord

Quote:
Marid - how do you avoid the traps? You can't disarm them while invisible can you?

-Jam
Ohhhhh Jamski, you most certainly can. Disarming traps only breaks the invisibility of Stealth mode, but not the invisibility of the spell (or potion).

It was this reality which kept me from uninstalling Icewind Dale the first time I played it.
Old February 4, 2004, 18:17   #50
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Marid Audran

Ohhhhh Jamski, you most certainly can. Disarming traps only breaks the invisibility of Stealth mode, but not the invisibility of the spell (or potion).

It was this reality which kept me from uninstalling Icewind Dale the first time I played it.
btw, it took me a couple of reloads to figure this out, too.
Old February 4, 2004, 19:54   #51
Jamski
Deity

No! Well, I've learnt something NEW!

/me goes and creates an elven mage/theif multiclass.

-Jam
Old February 6, 2004, 06:55   #52
duke o' york
Emperor

Eureka!

I can't wait to go home and start wasting the rest of my life.
Old February 6, 2004, 08:40   #53
Jamski
Deity

Tell us everything, I really loved that "first time through" feeling. And I mean everything.

I was bored so I started a new game of IWD2 with a mod that randomises all the treasure. Freaky game. It randomises all the stores too, so you really can't plan a character around certain items or weapons. And I thought I'd use a freaky party too:

Wild Elf Fighter/Sorceror dual-wielding axes or longbow,
Aasimar Paladin/Cleric of Illmater using 2-handed swords or x-bow,
Deep Gnome Monk/Druid dual-wielding bastard swords,
Aasimar Paladin/Sorceror using a poisoned returning throwing-knife and a large shield.

They are freaks.

Noone died yet, and no reloads to the middle of chapter 2.

-Jam
Old February 6, 2004, 09:29   #54
duke o' york
Emperor

Well I had a quick peek at lunchtime, and it is the three CD version, so I presume that I won't need the patch. Is that right?
Old February 6, 2004, 12:38   #55
Qilue
King

Local Time: 03:19
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Related to disarming traps while invisible.

The first time I did Durlag's Tower was as an elven mage/thief, although I did have to reload quite a few times when I got careless or missed a trap. I couldn't imagine doing that place without invisibility. If you haven't done Durlag's Tower yet, my advice is don't get careless and don't try to rush, the traps and other assorted nasties will kill your characters very quickly.

Just like to point out that I loved Durlag's Tower more than any other dungeon in any other game. What made it especially memorable when I finished it first time, my party exited the tower loaded with treasure and game time was just on 6am.

EDIT - rewrite
Old February 6, 2004, 14:07   #56
lord of the mark
Deity

made it to the undercity and fought the iron throne group. Reloaded a couple of times, still didnt get it (though i only tried a few fairly conventional strategies)

Before I try again, what are your favorite means of winning this fight?
Old February 6, 2004, 14:14   #57
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

buff buff buff spells potions everything,

Throw everything that you have at them(Arrows of dispelling, fireballs, sneak attacks, summon monsters etc. )

and spread out(ie don't let your whole group stand in one spot, move a couple to one side of the room, a couple more to the other side etc.)

Sarevok should be your #1 target.

Make a thief invisible and have them go in first to disarm traps

Keep your fingers crossed
Old February 6, 2004, 15:26   #58
Marid Audran
Warlord

Quote:
They are freaks.
Go back to the Severed Hand, ya freaks!
Old February 6, 2004, 15:31   #59
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

I played both BG1 and BG2 and BG1 is... boring
But BG2 is really fun.
Old February 6, 2004, 16:26   #60
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
buff buff buff spells potions everything,

Throw everything that you have at them(Arrows of dispelling, fireballs, sneak attacks, summon monsters etc. )

and spread out(ie don't let your whole group stand in one spot, move a couple to one side of the room, a couple more to the other side etc.)

Sarevok should be your #1 target.

Make a thief invisible and have them go in first to disarm traps

Keep your fingers crossed
i meant the iron throne group thats after Sarevok (ralvin?) not Sarevoks party.