Old February 24, 2004, 09:09   #241
Stuie
King

Local Time: 13:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just reading the two threads (this one and http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=101904) convinced me. Like DoY said, if that doesn't pique your interest, maybe you shouldn't bother.

I started BG2 last night with my imported Cavalier from BG1. I was hoping for more carryover from BG1 as far as which NPCs were in my final party in BG1 and which were in my immediate area at the beginning of BG2. At least a certain rodent toting muscle-man was there.

Anyway, I got through the first area and I'm at the Promenade now. I just entered a circus tent which was not what it appeared... I hope my characters are strong enough for this at this point in the game.

By the way, after getting stuck early, I used a walk-through for much of BG1. While it helped me experience alot of what the game has to offer, it certainly took something away from the experience. So I'm trying REALLY hard not to peak at any walkthroughs for BG2. That means I might be relying on you guys.
Old February 24, 2004, 10:21   #242
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 17:19
Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
I'm not going to go and search behind trees to find hidden magic items quite yet.
Is that just a turn of phrase of do you already know which tree? I agree with the sentiment, first time through it's nice not to go straight and find things that are very well hidden.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 24, 2004, 10:26   #243
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
What?

Why, which tree should I be looking behind?

No, I was referring to the Final Fantasy games, where you'd have doorways in trees, hidden items in the long grass and secret passages in the dungeons.
Old February 24, 2004, 11:01   #244
Stuie
King

If you really want to know.... I could spoil one or two things for you. But I'm convinced using a walkthrough so much really did just that: spoil. I'd rather discover things on my own and come here with any questions about tough situations.
Old February 24, 2004, 11:07   #245
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
What?

Why, which tree should I be looking behind?

No, I was referring to the Final Fantasy games, where you'd have doorways in trees, hidden items in the long grass and secret passages in the dungeons.
Ahh, just a turn of phrase... never mind. BG has some things hidden in long grass, secret passages, etc, a bit like FF. Not that much though, IIRC.

Old February 24, 2004, 11:16   #246
duke o' york
Emperor

Well as long as the items hidden away aren't really important to having any kind of a chance at the end of the game. cf - Final Fantasy VII's last battle, which required the Knights of the Round to get through.
I'm happy with my slow progress though.
Old February 24, 2004, 11:19   #247
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Only the most powerful items in the game...

But they REALLY are hidden. You simply cannot find them unless :

1.)You use a walkthrough
2.)You use Tab (when playing TuTu w/ToB)

Quote:
Anyway, I got through the first area and I'm at the Promenade now. I just entered a circus tent which was not what it appeared... I hope my characters are strong enough for this at this point in the game.
Tip for the tent : Illusions cannot hurt you, unless you THINK they can... but what is real? (hint: true seeing, detect illusions, or just pure luck)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 25, 2004, 03:54   #248
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:19
good luck getting true seeing that early in the game
Old February 25, 2004, 05:31   #249
duke o' york
Emperor

I thought that Jamski was posing us a philosophical problem until he spoiled it by giving away top tent tips.

Hopefully, I should get some more turns played this evening, but that will depend upon whether I'm up in any Civ 2 succession games, or if my girlfrined wants a conversation or something dumb like that.
I'll try the running like hell from the flesh golem tactic, and see what Thalantyr has to say for himself. When you buy spells from him, I assume (and hope) that you get the scrolls like those you can pick up, and not have them automatically put into your spell book.
In fact, I have the armour spell (that I haven't bothered using yet, because I'm going to get rid of the necromancer once I dual-class Imoen or pick up another wizard I want to keep) and was wondering about it. As far as I remember, this spell gives you a certain armour class. But if you have magic armour on already, that allows you a better AC than you'll get from the spell, then does the spell make you weaker? That'd be fun.
Old February 25, 2004, 08:35   #250
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
good luck getting true seeing that early in the game
Keldorn

Quote:
I assume (and hope) that you get the scrolls like those you can pick up, and not have them automatically put into your spell book.
You assume correctly.

Quote:
But if you have magic armour on already, that allows you a better AC than you'll get from the spell, then does the spell make you weaker? That'd be fun.
Sorry, you just use the best of the two ACs. Armour is a pretty handy spell though - it lasts all day. (1 hour per level or something) A character with a decent DEX and a ring of protection can get a nice AC (for a low level wizard) using this spell. Ok, not as good as a fighter in full plate, high DEX, shield etc... but enough that most of those kobold/bandit/etc arrows will miss you.

-Jam
Old February 25, 2004, 08:41   #251
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Sorry, you just use the best of the two ACs. Armour is a pretty handy spell though - it lasts all day... A character with a decent DEX and a ring of protection can get a nice AC (for a low level wizard) using this spell. Ok, not as good as a fighter in full plate, high DEX, shield etc... but enough that most of those kobold/bandit/etc arrows will miss you.
Very true.

Quote:
(1 hour per level or something)
IIRC it's a straight 9 hours.

Old February 25, 2004, 08:50   #252
Jamski
Deity

/me checks manual (on the desk next to computer) *

Yep. 9 hours. So if you rest, and you still have it in memory - cast it before you sleep (incase of an ambush, which always comes next to your wizards )

-Jam
Old February 25, 2004, 09:03   #253
duke o' york
Emperor

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
I was thinking about casting it before resting while I was waiting for this page of the thread to load, but the answers are all here. Good work
I'm thinking that I'll need another magic missile scroll for Imoen when she dual-classificates, because I gave the last one to Xzar (is this the necromancer's name? I'm sure it is, but can't remember), and I want her to be able to cast that too. I remember from playing AD&D (1st edition), that although you can get some cool spells at higher magic levels, the spells you already know can become even more powerful than some of the new ones. Or is there somewhere in the near future I can just happen to find a magic missile scroll and should spend my money on another spell?
*duke obviously fishing around for small, general, hints*
While Imoen is a thief, which abilities should I improve? Any specifically, or all at the same rate?
Old February 25, 2004, 09:04   #254
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Yep. 9 hours. So if you rest, and you still have it in memory - cast it before you sleep (incase of an ambush, which always comes next to your wizards )
Good idea if you have it left. Lil tip for wizards - they're only ambushed first if they're at the back. So don't put them right at the back, put them in position 4 or 5, and they get protection from the front line and anything sneaking up behind you. I usually put a thief or cleric at the back (they can handle themselves but not need to be upfront for major hand to hand) and mages in front of them

Old February 25, 2004, 09:06   #255
Stuie
King

Ok, I made it through the tent, went to the Adventure Mart, and then headed over to the Copper Coronet. Rested up and decided to head out of the city to try one of the many quests that have been accumulating, only to get yet another quest (this one involving getting a poisoned man to a certain location back in the city). I now have about seven or eight active quests. Is there any good way to know which ones I should tackle first (obviously getting the poisoned guy off my hands is #1, but I get the feeling it's going to lead to even MORE quests due to the destination).

So, how do you decide which quest is best?
Old February 25, 2004, 09:09   #256
Stuie
King

Quote:

*duke obviously fishing around for small, general, hints*
While Imoen is a thief, which abilities should I improve? Any specifically, or all at the same rate?
Locks and Traps, IMO. Sorry if this is spoilerish, but I never used her other skills going through BG1. If I wanted stealth, I'd use an Invisibility potion. As for picking pockets, my Paladin wouldn't have condoned such action (yes, I really like to role-play even in CRGPs).
Old February 25, 2004, 09:12   #257
Drogue
staff

Quote:
I'm thinking that I'll need another magic missile scroll for Imoen when she dual-classificates, because I gave the last one to Xzar (is this the necromancer's name? I'm sure it is, but can't remember), and I want her to be able to cast that too. I remember from playing AD&D (1st edition), that although you can get some cool spells at higher magic levels, the spells you already know can become even more powerful than some of the new ones.
'Tis true. Magic Missile gets better, as does Chromatic Orb. Some don't, like Armour and Sleep, however.

Quote:
Or is there somewhere in the near future I can just happen to find a magic missile scroll and should spend my money on another spell?
They're quite common to find, one of the most common spells to find. However it's not much money either, and it's worth buying it if you don't have one on you when you have a mage that needs it, IMHO.

Quote:
Depends on your style. Find Traps is a necessity. Open Locks is well worth it for doors and stealing. Stealth is useful if you hide and backstab, or use your thief to draw out enemies. These are the three I concentrate on. Usually, Stealth and Open Locks at the begining and level 2, and Find Traps solely on level 3. Pickpocketing I don't bother with. The one time it's actually useful, you can either kill them and take the rep hit, or use potions to buff up your abilities. You can go through the whole game without pickpocketing and not miss it. Find Traps is essential, dungeons are very, very hard without it, but it isn't needed until you do dungeons (i've forgotten how far on you are). Open Locks and Stealth are useful, and while non-essential, it almost spoils the point of having a thief if you don't use them. Stealth can be buffed by magic items later though.

Old February 25, 2004, 09:13   #258
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
1.) Disarm Traps
2.) Open locks (can be done with force or Knock spell)
3.) Stealth (can be done with Invisibilty much better)
4.) Pick Pockets (kill them and take the stuff, yeah?)

So only traps is ESSENTIAL.

Quote:
Heh, that's the charm of the game. Don't forget Imoen is waiting for you too.

I'd get rid of the poisoned man, thats easy, and do the quests that leads you into (Xzar etc...) because they're quite easy too and give some useful rewards and gear.

Then I would see about Trademeet's problems, or perhaps see what the theifs have to say.

I would stay in the city mostly to start with though. Umar Hills and Windspear Hills can be quite... umm... HARD.

-Jam
Old February 25, 2004, 09:23   #259
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
Ok, I made it through the tent, went to the Adventure Mart, and then headed over to the Copper Coronet. Rested up and decided to head out of the city to try one of the many quests that have been accumulating, only to get yet another quest (this one involving getting a poisoned man to a certain location back in the city). I now have about seven or eight active quests. Is there any good way to know which ones I should tackle first (obviously getting the poisoned guy off my hands is #1, but I get the feeling it's going to lead to even MORE quests due to the destination).

First do one with time limits (poisoned man). If roleplaying do ones that possibly should have time limits (Keep, Umar Hills). However since most don't, do them in whichever order you want. The poisoned man is a nice quest actually, IMHO. Includes some interesting characters, is quite fun and puzzling, but not too difficult, and gives a decent amount of XP

*Possible spoiler*
What class are you? Do you know about Stronghold Quests? Each class has a quest that is their stronghold. It's a major RP feature.
Spoiler:
If you're a fighter, do the Keep; a ranger, the Umar Hills; a wizard, the Umar Hills; a Paladin, the Windspear Hills; a Druid, Trademeet; a cleric, thief or Bard, the Athkatla quests.
These lead to other quests over time, and features.
*End spoiler*

Personally, I like the Keep, it's satisfying, fun and not too hard. The Umar Hills is long, leads to other quests and is pretty hard, but is a nice one. Trademeet is only that good with a druid, IMHO. Windspear Hills is a nice one, but the hardest of the lot, IMHO. I usually do a few Athkatla quests, then go and do my stronghold, then most of the Athkatla quests, then leave the city and do the other ones.

In my current file, I've done most of the city, the Keep and the Windspear Hills. Am about to do Umar, and then Trademeet.

Old February 25, 2004, 09:25   #260
Stuie
King

I was actually on my way to the de'Arnise Hold (Nalia's quest) when I found the poisoned guy. I figured it was closest, so hopefully that meant easier. Hopefully. But since I'm back in the city, I guess I'll poke around some more.

And at this rate, Imoen's just going to have to wait. I don't have the cash to spring her right now.
Old February 25, 2004, 09:32   #261
Jamski
Deity

de'Arnise is really quite tough unless you have certain weapons (saying nothing)

Getting the cash for Imoen is not a big problem - there's PLENTY of quests to be done. I really reccommend you visit Renal Bloodscalp in the Shadow Thief's place.

-Jam
Old February 25, 2004, 09:42   #262
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
I was actually on my way to the de'Arnise Hold (Nalia's quest) when I found the poisoned guy. I figured it was closest, so hopefully that meant easier. Hopefully. But since I'm back in the city, I guess I'll poke around some more.
Actually, they're all the same distance away. 20 Hours. Good plan with staying around the city a bit. So much to do there

Old February 25, 2004, 09:43   #263
Stuie
King

Quote:
de'Arnise is really quite tough unless you have certain weapons (saying nothing)

Getting the cash for Imoen is not a big problem - there's PLENTY of quests to be done. I really reccommend you visit Renal Bloodscalp in the Shadow Thief's place.

-Jam
Cool. Thanks.

You know, one thing that has really impressed me having gone from BG1 to BG2 is the amount of NPC interaction. Minsc is constantly babbling to Boo on different topics (instead of the repetitive "Comeraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legends, eh Boo?"), Jehira seems to be performing a running critique of my actions, and Aerie, well, she's annoying. Once I hit the docks Yoshimo (or whatever his name is) started piping in, too. Seems he has a problem with Renal that needs to be addressed. Hmm...

Anyway, I'm having much fun with this. Too bad there are only so many hours in the day...
Old February 25, 2004, 09:44   #264
Drogue
staff

Quote:
You get given the right weapons though.

Quote:
'Tis a fun quest

Old February 25, 2004, 09:50   #265
Jamski
Deity

Spoiler:
Don't forget to kill Renal too, to get his boots of speed. But how to do it without turning everyone hostile? (there is a way - more than one)

Quote:
You get given the right weapons though.
Better, and easier, if you have bought a certain axe and a certain club, and a certain sword though...

-Jam
Old February 25, 2004, 09:55   #266
duke o' york
Emperor

I have made lots of progress since the first BG thread as I now know which one you're talking about.

I agree that when Imoen went up to level 2, I didn't bother putting any ability points to pickpocketry, but I think that find traps only got 5%. Is find traps the pointer with the mask on? Or have I just not worked out when and where to use it yet? I managed to disarm a trap in Beregost, but that was only because it was on a chest and I automatically tried to pick the lock.

Oh, and Drogue: I'm only messing about around Beregost, and not very far in at all yet.
Old February 25, 2004, 09:57   #267
Jamski
Deity

Disarm traps/pickpockets/open locks is ALL the icon with the "mask" or "8 on its side" icon. Search for traps is the one with "arrows in the corners" Hide is the one with the face.

-Jam
Old February 25, 2004, 10:03   #268
duke o' york
Emperor

I know that, but it was just that I had never seen the icon for find traps.
Old February 25, 2004, 10:19   #269
Stuie
King

DoY - to use find traps, just click the "arrows in the corners" button, and your thief will start looking for traps. They will keep looking until you see a message that says "[ThiefName] has stopped looking for traps." This kind of confused me at first, too. Stupid .pdf manuals!!

The actual mouse pointer does not change when looking for traps. The thief is understood to be searching the general vicinity.
Old February 25, 2004, 10:21   #270
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Spoiler:
Don't forget to kill Renal too, to get his boots of speed. But how to do it without turning everyone hostile? (there is a way - more than one)
Spoiler:
Oooh, I didn't know he had those. I thought the only place you got boots of speed was in the Planar Prison. Could you spoiler one or two of the ways?Pickpocketing maybe? Also, how hard would it be to kill them all? If you do, would that hostile all the thieves leading and around Arun Lindvale too? I don't mind having Renal and the ones around there dead, but I need Arun alive.

Quote:
Better, and easier, if you have bought a certain axe and a certain club, and a certain sword though...
Club?
Spoiler:
I presume you mean Stonefire for the axe and Flametongue for the sword.