Old February 3, 2004, 19:18   #91
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Sir Ralph: More crap from modern deluded Germans. If you have been following my posts here for some time, I am one of the very few Americans who are truly sorry for what we did during WWII and would like for us to formally apologize to Germany.
Eh? What did I miss? What did we do to Germany that merits an apology?
Old February 3, 2004, 19:21   #92
Ned
King

Commie T., anti-Americanism is expected from communistis. But Germans are not communists because of us. They are behaving as if we were not doing them a favor by keeping them free post 1945.

As to your "NATO" comment, what are you talking about? Germany sided with France, I believe, to even support Turkey if Saddam attacked it. That, IMHO, is a legal breach of the alliance.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:22   #93
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DataAeolus

Eh? What did I miss? What did we do to Germany that merits an apology?
Helped the Brits destroy Hamburg, Cologne and Dresden.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:23   #94
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:21
Yeah but they did us a favour in return: destroyed Coventry

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old February 3, 2004, 19:24   #95
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 17:21
Quote:
They are behaving as if we were not doing them a favor by keeping them free post 1945.
Should they follow everything America says and does simply because of that?
A case could be made for America and France....

Quote:
As to your "NATO" comment, what are you talking about? Germany sided with France, I believe, to even support Turkey if Saddam attacked it. That, IMHO, is a legal breach of the alliance.
Then throw them out I will tell you Russia would like to see nothing more than NATO collapse
And I'm talking about the war on terror, not the war against Iraq
Old February 3, 2004, 19:25   #96
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
We asked for nothing in return until we were attacked on 9/11. We then asked for Germany's support. What did we get? We got a German election campaign based on anti-Americanism. Our president was bashed, not by the lunatic fringe of Germany, but by the German government itself!!!!!!! Then, when push came to shove at the UN, Germany is the leader (with France) of the opposition to the US.
Excuse me Ned, but you are a complete ignorant. Your country got support from both France and Germany after September eleventh, and we are still present and very active in both Afghanistan and Kosovo. What we didn't support, was your conquest in Iraq, which had absolutely nothing to do with your war on terrorism.

Quote:
Such actions are not worthy of an ally, a friend or a country that owes us so much.
Apparently you don't want allies. Those are entitled to have their own opinion. Your present administration wants vassals, that's all. Go look for them elsewhere.

Quote:
There is a saying, is there not, that no good deed goes unpunished. Well Germany has shown the truth of that statement -- in spades.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:33   #97
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Helped the Brits destroy Hamburg, Cologne and Dresden.
Oh that. *shrug* I don't see why Americans should apologize. It's part of war, and you know what they say... war is hell. During World War I, warring countries focused on tactical victories resulting in bloody see-saw battles in which corpses just built up especially in the No Man's Land.

It was natural that war strategists evolved their military thinking toward achieving strategic goals. In order to avoid the see-saw type of war from happening, they went after the infrastructure responsible for keeping a country's war machine running. In other words, break civilians' willingness to fight and soon the state will give in.

What we have done for the Germans in the aftermath of the war have made up more than enough for what has happened during the war.

Like I said in other thread about NYC being nuked on Feb 2nd, innocents die in wars. If you're not willing to die for someone who claims to represent you, for his politics, do something about it.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:33   #98
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

The Marshall Plan did very little for the German Economy.
Overall it made a lot of European nations dependent on spareparts for the machines the Americans brought over.

As for defending Europe against Communism this is a matter of contention. Did Europe want to be saved from Communism in the first place? Was it not initially the Americans who dropped the first nuclear devices, and forced USSR to follow suit. Was it not Kennedy who demanded a further expansion to the missile programme when America was already far ahead? Was it not America which placed medium distance nuclear missiles in Turkey threatening the Soviet oil supply, forcing Russia to respond in Cuba. Was it not so that the American army's maneuvres in 1984 were made with such deliberate realism that the Soviets believed that Reagan would launch an attack.
Capitalism was a perilous partner.

Regarding America supporting Germany for free, need I remind people that the stationing of US troops was financed by the Germans through socalled offset payments.
Need I explain that the war in Vietnam caused Nixon to abandon Bretton Woods, thereby forcing the price of oil causing a severe crisis in Europe.
Capitalism was an expensive partner.

Is it any wonder that the USSR held on to their territories for so long in order to prevent an attack from an aggressive American foreign policy.

After America was attacked Germany and other European countries pledged full support in the war against terrorism. Subsequently troops was sent to Afghanistan to install some semblance of order there.

Now with the institution of Guantanamo and the invasion of Iraq i am afraid that America has severely overstepped and entirely lost its sense of mission.

The Germans have seen such behavior before.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:34   #99
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Excuse me Ned, but you are a complete ignorant. Your country got support from both France and Germany after September eleventh, and we are still present and very active in both Afghanistan and Kosovo. What we didn't support, was your conquest in Iraq, which had absolutely nothing to do with your war on terrorism.

Apparently you don't want allies. Those are entitled to have their own opinion. Your present administration wants vassals, that's all. Go look for them elsewhere.

That is the point, is it not? We and many other countries believed that Saddam was a part of the war on terror due to his WMD and alliance with terrorists. You may have disagreed or better did not agree that the evidence of linkage was sufficient, but true allies do not side with the enemy. If you had qualms about the sufficiency of the evidence, a simple abstention may have been tolerable.

Thus vassal talk is pure crap and you know it.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:34   #100
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 19:21
You know Ned, a lot has happened since the 30s...
Old February 3, 2004, 19:37   #101
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
but true allies do not side with the enemy
Does that mean America is not the defender of freedom anymore?
I mean, on numerous occasions it has sided with despotism.....

Quote:
Sorry Neddy, but when you demand a nation follow your will unquestioningly and get angry when it doesn't....your wanting a vassal

Quote:
Don't worry, he's just trolling. Just start counter-trolling and it'll be OK
Old February 3, 2004, 19:39   #102
Ned
King

Data, there are pacifists in the world who do not like war at all. There are others, like me, who do not agree that targeting civilians is justifiable for any reason -- except, perhaps, to keep the other side from targeting one's own civilians.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:41   #103
Ecthy
Emperor

who's trolling? did anyone say anything?
Old February 3, 2004, 19:50   #104
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
Yes. But, was the law repealled? When?
Old February 3, 2004, 19:50   #105
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Data, there are pacifists in the world who do not like war at all. There are others, like me, who do not agree that targeting civilians is justifiable for any reason -- except, perhaps, to keep the other side from targeting one's own civilians.
That all originated from stray bombs hitting civilian targets, and then ***-for-tat, and then the rest is history...sad really.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:52   #106
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Should they follow everything America says and does simply because of that?
A case could be made for America and France....
We should have the right to call in our chips at least once. This is not the same as saying Germany is a vassal.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:56   #107
Nubclear

Quote:
We should have the right to call in our chips at least once.
So America joined WW2 for selfish reasons? I mean, if America was completly selfless as you imply then there should be no "chips" to call in.
Wiggle out of this one

Plus....America already called in its chips with The war on terror. Sorry.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:59   #108
Provost Harrison
Deity

Call in your chips? Thanks to WWII you became the dominant superpower so don't pretend you have been completely selfless. Besides, it is outside of your or my lifetime, so no one owes you sh*t...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old February 3, 2004, 19:59   #109
Ecthy
Emperor

repealed? the state ceased to exist, new constitution, inhumane laws repealed!
Old February 3, 2004, 20:01   #110
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hi Ned,

I guess you're right that the good men and women who fought on our side in WWII deserve all the credit they can get. I'm not going to under-estimate the significance of Marshall aid and other initiatives and neither should anybody else. However you still owe an explanation of why it logically follows from this fact that later generations of Germans or anybody else should automatically approve of the decisions of the U.S government. A good deal of people, many of them non-Americans, might have saved Germany and its Lebensraum from nazism, but just because George W. Bush is their countryman doesn't mean he's entitled to my gratitude. That is being consistent, because if I subscribed to your view, I'd not only have to approve of the Americans but also begin hating the Germans and the Russians for the dangers they once posed to mankind.

It appears as though you're still sending the entire people of Germany to hell because of their narrowly elected government and the ingratefulness of some. I think your logical fallacy lies with the fact that you regard a country as you'd regard a person. Accepting that premise, it's only natural that doing a favour back in time should be returned with some favours today. The problem, however, is that you can't view the world like that. You can't go from "Hey, the gov't of Germany doesn't like us" to "Let's condemn the Germans in general".

Furthermore, I'm still especially curious as to how you're going to substantiate your claim that the Germans hate the U.S for liberating the country from the Nazis.
Old February 3, 2004, 20:02   #111
Nubclear

Monk: What is that thing in your avatar?!
Old February 3, 2004, 20:03   #112
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 13:21
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
If I walked up to you and yelled "KILL ME DAMNIT! ****ING KILL ME!" would that make killing me any less of a crime?
The basis of all law is that your rights end where another begin, if someone wants you to kill them, you are not violating their rights, and thus it is fine.
Old February 3, 2004, 20:06   #113
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
That is the point, is it not? We and many other countries believed that Saddam was a part of the war on terror due to his WMD and alliance with terrorists.
The evidence of both is still missing. Come on, it can't be hard to place some "evidence" somewhere in Iraq, after all the United States have the largest stockpile of such weapons worldwide.

Quote:
You may have disagreed or better did not agree that the evidence of linkage was sufficient, but true allies do not side with the enemy.
Sided with the enemy by voting for the continuation of the weapon inspections, huh?

Quote:
If you had qualms about the sufficiency of the evidence, a simple abstention may have been tolerable.
I agree, a good vassal would have done this.

Quote:
No.

Good night, and have a blast trolling.
Old February 3, 2004, 20:06   #114
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:21
Quote:
The basis of all law is that your rights end where another begin, if someone wants you to kill them, you are not violating their rights, and thus it is fine.
We would presume that someone asking to be killed is mentally unstable, thus their request should not be acknowledged. They need help, not an executioner.
Old February 3, 2004, 20:06   #115
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Monk: What is that thing in your avatar?!
It's the exceptional Swedish actor Ernst-Hugo Jähregaard as viewed from the bottom of a toilet in the Danish mini-series "The Kingdom".
Old February 3, 2004, 20:07   #116
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
If you had qualms about the sufficiency of the evidence, a simple abstention may have been tolerable.
Ned.....
no one had any qualms because there were no evidences at all. what do you think was the WMD argument for? it was necessary because there were absolutely no links between Iraq and al Queda. and I am sure we told you so before the war....over and over again.
if Saddam had anything to do with 911, guess what would have happened. the whole world would have supported the USA. yes even France would have. just like in Afghanistan.

and I think 8 1/2 years is a proper punishment for man eating on demand.
Old February 3, 2004, 20:08   #117
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Monk
...because if I subscribed to your view, I'd not only have to approve of the Americans but also begin hating the Germans and the Russians for the dangers they once posed to mankind.
Just to clarify that, it's not that I don't generally approve of the United States. It's just that my approval is based on other things than events dating back fifty years.
Old February 3, 2004, 20:11   #118
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Monk
I'm not going to under-estimate the significance of Marshall aid and other initiatives and neither should anybody else.
Why perpetuate a lie? The Marshall help was blatant imperialism. The Wirtshcaftwunder in Germany had nothing to do with the Marshall aid. In fact the money (goods really) spent would have been used better if Great Britains debt was liquidated instead. Hoever this was not an option, becasue then Britain might have had the option of becoming the clearing house of European trade again.
Quote:
It appears as though you're (NED) still sending the entire people of Germany to hell because of their narrowly elected government and the ingratefulness of some.
The vast majority of Germans opposed the war, as did the people of Spain, Italy, Poland, England and presumably other nations as well.
The American government is not even democratically elected.
Old February 3, 2004, 20:11   #119
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 12:21
How did we get from talking about German canibals to Iraq? I don't see the connection.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 3, 2004, 20:17   #120
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
How did we get from talking about German canibals to Iraq? I don't see the connection.
If I recall correctly, it was Tripledoc who accused Ned of hostility towards Europeans. Ned answered and here we are.