Old February 2, 2004, 10:33   #91
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Drudge report is down. MTV has taken picture 12 off their website.

What have I done to offend thee, my Lord?
We saved the pics to our harddrive last night.

Who wants copies?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 2, 2004, 10:41   #92
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
Nah yeah I understand the logic behind the nipple rule. I mean you have to set the limit somewhere. And I'm not sure if full frontal nudity like guys jumping into snow naked with their willies showing is a good idea for commercial in there. You know, it might be, but not anymore as the limit has been set. I'd change it so that nipples can be shown. The limit would go in showing pubig hair which wouldn't be allowed. You can show butt, boobies, but you can't show the downtown area, or the hair. I think that's a good rule. We're definitely not sexually liberated, but we have no problems with nudity.

Basically I see it as a problem. I mean, young folks they might get the idea that there's something wrong with the nudity and eventually in their bodies and that it's dirty. It's not dirty, it's natuarl. Some people don't want it on their TV, that's fine and reasonable. But nipples? Come on. That's were kids get milk to grow. Nipples are a good thing and so are boobs, and not just in sexual way. But I might agree and say that commercials with clear sexual tension should be placed later on the day and not 3PM between kids shows. Nudity could be allowed, if it's funny and works as a commercial... take it from there on.. every case individually.. nothing wrong with nipples though. And what's with it anyway, you can have piece of tape covering your nipple and then show the boobie. That's like the same thing, except that when it's kind of not allowed, it creates sexual tension and dirty feelings.. but it's just nipples.

Anyway, I for one did NOT miss Janet Jacksons boobs. I think there was a streaker as well.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old February 2, 2004, 11:17   #93
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:23
Quote:
The limit would go in showing pubig hair which wouldn't be allowed.
So shaven parts would be allowed?
Old February 2, 2004, 11:23   #94
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:23
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Quote:
The limit would go in showing pubig hair which wouldn't be allowed.
So shaven parts would be allowed?
shaved ***** but not hairy asses? What a double standard. No way I'm shaving my ass just to be in some ad.
Old February 2, 2004, 12:44   #95
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Everyone's upset about Janet's nipple, but who's complaining about the Bud ads that were scathingly anti-woman.
Yeah, that one with the ref's screaming wife was probably the most stupidly offensive with no possible redeeming value ads I've ever seen.

Nothing funny, nothing well done, just the screaming nag and the poor victim guy, get him a beer and shut up, *****.

It's pretty obvious from the way the boob-armor piece came off that it was designed for that, but the reaction is pretty ridiculously overblown.
Old February 2, 2004, 12:47   #96
Pekka
Emperor

alva, of course not Well if it's up to me sure, but you need to take it slowly step by step.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old February 2, 2004, 12:48   #97
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 17:23
Naked Janet

Naked guy dancing around in the middle of the field just before the 2nd half
Old February 2, 2004, 12:57   #98
Docfeelgood
Emperor

Quote:
Holy ****, what a bunch of prudes. In europe, they show tits in commercials all the time. ( Not here, though. )

Don't be to harsh on em, its a hormon thing
Old February 2, 2004, 13:03   #99
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Hormone or Mormon?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 2, 2004, 13:15   #100
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Hmm... Janet was not wearing a bra but her nipple was covered, and was quoted last week about how she had a "surprise" planned for her performance.

One of the most blatantly transparent (and tasteless) PR attempts at reviving a flagging music career in recent mammary...

Too bad I got disgusted with the choice of musical guests and missed that part...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old February 2, 2004, 13:23   #101
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Obviously, being British I didn't see it and wouldn't want to see it. The BBC decided that it would be a good move to show the movie "Black Sunday" (About terrorists trying to do their thing at the Super Bowl) at the exact same time as the Super Bowl though... good one!
Old February 2, 2004, 13:29   #102
MrFun
Emperor

I can't be arsed to read all the previous posts -- but didn't the guy rip Janet's shirt off? If so, what was the guy thinking?
Old February 2, 2004, 13:48   #103
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I think the content on many of the pre 10 pm shows has gotten out of hand. This Super Bowl is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Time for the FCC to restore a little bit of balance.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 2, 2004, 14:06   #104
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:23
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
I can't be arsed to read all the previous posts -- but didn't the guy rip Janet's shirt off? If so, what was the guy thinking?
Read all the previous posts
Old February 2, 2004, 14:17   #105
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Dissident, if it had only been one commercial which was about a making fun of a woman, that would have ben one thing. When you had several different ones in a row, it bespeaks a general attitude. On the other hand, Budweiser commercials general seem to hold their consumers in low regard.
You just have no sense of humor... especially when women laughed at that ad as well .

(btw, does this mean that the way men are treated on shows like 'Sex and the City' bespeaks a general anti-male sentiment?)
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 2, 2004, 14:22   #106
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
On ther Janet Jacksom thing . . . I have mixed feelings

- ON one hand, Americans are so prudish compared to most countries-- it was a flash of a breast with a nipple covered . .. not a big deal-- heck when I was in Cuba there were topless women everywhere. It soon seems normal and natural.

-- ON THE OTHER HAND-- it was really a cheap stunt done for no other reason than to be a cheap stunt-- It counted on its shock value
Old February 2, 2004, 14:24   #107
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

The nipple wasn't covered. Get thee to Drudge for a close-up.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 2, 2004, 14:26   #108
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

Read all the previous posts
bah
Old February 2, 2004, 14:27   #109
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:23
Quote:
-- ON THE OTHER HAND-- it was really a cheap stunt done for no other reason than to be a cheap stunt-- It counted on its shock value
True, but it only has shock value in (puritan) U.S. or in some fundamentalistic islamic hell-hole...
Old February 2, 2004, 14:28   #110
chequita guevara
Emperor

I'll bet the "malfuntion" was that both breasts didn't get uncovered.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 2, 2004, 15:41   #111
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

that is what I thought too

the close up is off drudge

Jon Miller
Old February 2, 2004, 15:41   #112
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Quote:
True, but it only has shock value in (puritan) U.S. or in some fundamentalistic islamic hell-hole...
we are deffinitely not puritan

we just like our sex dirty and our women half naked

Jon Miller
Old February 2, 2004, 16:15   #113
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

am I the only one concerned about this. The FCC has been upping punishments on profanity. With this Bush religious goverment in place today, I'm worried they may do something drastic.

Like not show the superbowl live and delay it by 10 seconds or so. What do you think?
Old February 2, 2004, 16:20   #114
The Mad Monk
Emperor

...and the FCC stands up:

Quote:
FCC launches investigation into halftime show

By Jonathan D. Salant
The Associated Press

The chief federal regulator of broadcasting said Monday he was "outraged" by the Super Bowl halftime show in which Justin Timberlake tore off part of Janet Jackson's costume, exposing her breast, and said he was ordering an immediate investigation.

Timberlake blamed a "wardrobe malfunction," but Federal Communications Commission chief Michael Powell called it "a classless, crass and deplorable stunt."

MTV, which produced the show, and CBS, which broadcast it, both said they had no idea that their halftime show Sunday night would include such a display.

"CBS deeply regrets the incident," spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade said.

The two singers were performing a flirtatious duet to end the halftime show, with Timberlake singing, Rock Your Body, and the lines he sang at the moment of truth were: "I'm gonna have you naked by the end of this song."

With that, Timberlake reached across Jackson's leather gladiator outfit and pulled off the covering to her right breast, which was partially obscured by a sun-shaped, metal nipple decoration.

The network quickly cut away from the shot, and did not mention the exposure on the air.

In a statement, Powell said, "I am outraged at what I saw during the halftime show of the Super Bowl. Like millions of Americans, my family and I gathered around the television for a celebration. Instead, that celebration was tainted by a classless, crass and deplorable stunt. Our nation's children, parents and citizens deserve better."

He told the commission to open an investigation, promising it would be "thorough and swift." Such an investigation could result in a fine of up to $27,500 or -- if the FCC applied the sanction to each CBS station -- in the millions.

Messages left with Jackson's record company and her personal publicist were not returned Monday morning.

The FCC has come under fire from lawmakers and outside groups who say the agency hasn't done enough to shield the public from indecent programming on radio and TV.

Legislation has been introduced in Congress to increase by 10-fold the $27,500 maximum fine that the FCC can levy for indecency. The Bush administration has endorsed the bill raising the fine to $275,000. The agency itself has said it may start issuing the fine per incident rather than per program, and is talking about revoking licenses.

Last month, the FCC proposed a $755,000 fine against Clear Channel Communications for the "Bubba the Love Sponge" program that aired multiple times on four of its Florida radio stations. The fine was a record for a single complaint. The largest cumulative fine for indecency was $1.7 million paid by Infinity Broadcasting in 1995 for various violations by Howard Stern.

MTV, CBS' corporate cousin in Viacom, issued an apology, saying the incident was "unrehearsed, unplanned, completely unintentional and was inconsistent with assurances we had about the content of the performance."

Timberlake said he did not intend to expose Jackson's breast.

"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."

Wade said CBS officials attended rehearsals of the show all week, "and there was no indication any such thing would happen. The moment did not conform to CBS' broadcast standards, and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended."

The show also featured P. Diddy, Nelly and Kid Rock.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue called the conduct "offensive, embarrassing to us and our fans, and inappropriate."

"We will change our policies, our people and our processes before the next Super Bowl to ensure that this entertainment is far more effectively dealt with," he said.

Joe Browne, NFL executive vice president, said earlier that it was "unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime."

Over-the-air television channels cannot air "obscene" material at any time and cannot air "indecent" material between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. The FCC defines obscene material as describing sexual conduct "in a patently offensive way" and lacking "serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value." Indecent material is not as offensive but still contains references to sex or excretions.

In an interview posted on MTV.com in the days before the show, Jackson's choreographer, Gil Duldulao, talked about the show, saying: "She's more stylized, she's more feminine, she's more a woman as she dances this time around. There are some shocking moments in there too."
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/entertain...printstory.jsp
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 2, 2004, 16:20   #115
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

am I the only one concerned about this. The FCC has been upping punishments on profanity. With this Bush religious goverment in place today, I'm worried they may do something drastic.

Like not show the superbowl live and delay it by 10 seconds or so. What do you think?
Old February 2, 2004, 16:38   #116
Az
Emperor

launching investigation...

We had hardcore porn during the news.
Old February 2, 2004, 16:42   #117
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

They're actually showing the event on daytime news over here... and from how they're showing it, it doesn't look any worse than what you see worn at a typical Hollywood premiere.
Old February 2, 2004, 17:03   #118
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Agreed.

I don't see how this is any worse than what starlets wear to award shows; no mistaking a nipple on many of those sheer dresses.

I'd like to amend that, actually. Not "I don't see how this is any worse." But, I don't see how this is bad at all. It's only a nipple. Can we get over that, people? We have nipples. Women have developed breasts in addition to nipples. Their primary purpose is the nourishment of young humans, NOT sex.

As a culture, we really need to grow the **** up.
Old February 2, 2004, 17:13   #119
Thorn
Prince

I was listening to NPR, President Bush will address the nation at 9pm tonight to declare all women's breasts unamerican.
Old February 2, 2004, 17:19   #120
chequita guevara
Emperor

Bush says he slept through the half time show.