View Poll Results: What do you think about CC-PUT Unification?
I am glad about the Unification of CC and PUT 14 34.15%
I am afraid of CC-PUT! 3 7.32%
I don`t think it is important. 7 17.07%
This is the most exciting event in ACDG ever! 5 12.20%
Xenobananas are tasty. 10 24.39%
I hope we can cooperate with CC-PUT! 2 4.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4, 2004, 14:07   #61
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Silly

You have to put a tiger-skin rug on the stairs.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 4, 2004, 15:12   #62
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:24
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Its my party and I'll cr.. erm.. put marbles on the stairs if I want to.
Old February 4, 2004, 16:21   #63
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
You have not answered the vendetta question.
That will be up to CyCon. If they wish to persue vendetta, they may.
If not...then they may not.
Again, it really is up to them.

Quote:
Second, if former PUT members decided to go their own away in the future, as it is a voluntary initiative by PUT, they should be allowed to do so.
They should be, but for all intents and purposes they are an eliminated faction now.
I'm sure, however, if PUT members wanted to regain their nation that CyCon would allow them to
Remember, this wasn't forced vassalization.

Quote:
Anyhow from what you say I gather they are really just a humdrum permi pact.
Sigh. Call it what you will.
Old February 4, 2004, 17:32   #64
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Sorry, but PUT are letting the CyCon play the PUT turn for them?

This stinks.
Imagine this. PUT decides to ceed all their bases to us (allowed). That is the same thing, in effect.

Sure, we could not play the CyCon turn, we could let Archaic play it and tell him what to do. It makes no difference in reality. We are effectively one faction. Whether we ceed all PUT bases to the CyCon or leave it as too, I don't see a difference.

We have two turns, but we only get one turn of base production, one of movement, etc, just split into two. It's like playing half your turn, and then stopping and playing the other half. What is the difference between that and playing it as one turn, joining the two turns together?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Jamski makes good points. If you are now one unified grouping a la Germany a la Arab state, then you don't need two turns.
We could do it as one turn, but it makes no difference. We can move each unit one space, each base has one turn production. If we did it as one turn it would be the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Second, if former PUT members decided to go their own away in the future, as it is a voluntary initiative by PUT, they should be allowed to do so.
There are only 2 PUT members, neither of which is particularly active. Archaic has the final say, as he runs this as a PBEM, so if he decides to ceed PUT to the CyCon, that is his choice. If I give my computer to someone, that is my choice. If I gave it to them, and then wanted it back, they would probably do so, but they would be under no obligation to.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 4, 2004, 17:38   #65
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Imagine this. PUT decides to ceed all their bases to us (allowed). That is the same thing, in effect.
This is hardly fair then, is it? And don't feed me some line of krap about how you and the Uni have been buddy-buddy for years.

The fair thing is to self-destruct the Uni faction if they have had enough, and let any surviving members join the CyCon if they so wish.

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 17:40   #66
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 19:24
Quote:

The fair thing is to self-destruct the Uni faction if they have had enough, and let any surviving members join the CyCon if they so wish.

-Jam
Why! Destroy such magnificient bases? If they want to gift them their choice - our happiness - other factions unhappiness
Old February 4, 2004, 17:42   #67
Jamski
Deity

Yes, but HARDLY FAIR, really.

-Jam
Old February 4, 2004, 17:51   #68
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

It may not be fair, but its not against the rules.
Old February 4, 2004, 17:51   #69
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Doublepost - sorry

Last edited by Illuminatus; February 4, 2004 at 18:02.
Old February 4, 2004, 18:00   #70
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Triplepost - sorry again
Old February 4, 2004, 19:00   #71
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 18:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
We have two turns, but we only get one turn of base production, one of movement, etc, just split into two. It's like playing half your turn, and then stopping and playing the other half. What is the difference between that and playing it as one turn, joining the two turns together?
Erm, technological research? You can beeline with yourself! Now if that wasn´t unfair...
Old February 4, 2004, 19:05   #72
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

You can also beeline with yourself.
I presume you are talking about leapfrogging, but I don't see the difference. Assuming equal labs production, it doesn't make a difference whether or not your labs production is gathered in one faction or split over two. You'll still need to research the same techs. In fact, we will have more problems, as we have twice as much chance as you that a beeline can be interrupted due to mod3 rule interference.
Old February 5, 2004, 07:23   #73
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
This is hardly fair then, is it? And don't feed me some line of krap about how you and the Uni have been buddy-buddy for years.
I'm not going to. Fair or not, it's the PUT's choice. If you wish to ceed your bases to another faction, you may. If another faction wishes to ceed theirs to you, they may. It's like giving a submissive ally all your techs, and units, etc. Some gift them bases too.

If you told a faction to ceed you a base or you'll declare war, and they do, should that be against the rules?

And it is fair, because we all live by the same rules. If you wish to do the same, you may. However if you do not wish to, that is your perogative. The rules are the same for everyone.

Quote:
They don't wish to self destruct. Their faction, they decide their diplomacy. If they want to submit to another faction as a submissive ally, they can. Quite realistic actually.

Quote:
Originally posted by Micha
Erm, technological research? You can beeline with yourself! Now if that wasn´t unfair...
As Maniac has answered, as can anyone. It doesn't matter if it's all your research or half yours and half someone elses.

Also, why does that differ from before the unification? We were beelining with PUT then, we are now. That hasn't changed.

Old February 5, 2004, 09:05   #74
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

All's fair in love and war, dear.
Old February 5, 2004, 16:49   #75
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
All's fair in love and war, dear.
The only reason why you dare saying this is 'cause his avatar is gone on the moment?
Old February 5, 2004, 19:27   #76
Skanky Burns

I said that around 8 hours before you checked his away status.
Old February 5, 2004, 22:01   #77
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

In a MP game you actually can't cede bases as you can in SP games. If you wish to do so a faction must vacate its base(s) and the faction taking over have to occupy the base(s), declaring vendetta while they are at it.

It is a long and tiresome process if ceding more than one base. If ceding all the bases, the surrendering faction cease after self destructing their own last base.
Old February 6, 2004, 06:33   #78
Drogue
staff

Herc: I was unaware we were using the rule of not ceding bases? I'm aware you can't cede your last, but I thought all others were allowed?

I may be wrong though

Last edited by Drogue; February 6, 2004 at 11:37.
Old February 6, 2004, 11:18   #79
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Herc: I was unaware we were using the rule of not ceeding bases? I'm away you can't ceed your last, but I thought all others were allowed?
Drogue, you shouldn´t taste every single drink you pour in the CDA
Old February 6, 2004, 11:39   #80
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Micha
Drogue, you shouldn´t taste every single drink you pour in the CDA
Actually, I really should

It's not a typo though. Since I never needed to spell it before, I presumed it would be like the usual English, where a long e sound is spelt as a double e, as in speed or need, whereas a single is, and in fled, is pronounced as a short e.

I typo less when drunk

Old February 6, 2004, 13:51   #81
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I, for one, welcome the arrival of our new cybernetic lab rats friends.
Old February 6, 2004, 14:19   #82
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 11:24
I agree with those assessment that such "unification" benefits CPU in research and social engineering settings in that CPU can face less reseach costs when leapfroging researching and can benefit from different SE settings. The benefit is somewhat unbalanced compare to the real unifications of two teams, ie. when two teams becomes one, have one capital and one symbol. Also Hercules was right in saying that in MP one team cannot gift a base to anther team. The only thing you can do is to let the other team invade it and there will be costs associated with such invasion. The CPU "unification" appearantly has avoided this consequence.

Also, the CPU "unification" also appears to be superior to a permanant pact to the CyCons. In a perm pact the PUT will still have its own will and rans its own bases (and may even want to backstab and abandon the perm pact in a future time). While in our case the PUT bases are actually run by the CyCons and the CCs do not have to worry about anything that can rise inside the PUT. However, I believe this is similar to the case in an SP game when a faction surrender to another faction. You would be able to do the same thing above and the submissive faction will do whatever you want it to do. As long as the PUT members agrees, I do not think other teams can do anything about it.

In other words, I believe that although it is pretty tough for other teams, it is a truth that they have to face, and it's not something that is not allowed by the game rules.

Grapefruit Garden
Old February 6, 2004, 16:49   #83
Jamski
Deity

Oh well... looks like we're stuck with CyUni forever then

-Jam
Old February 6, 2004, 17:42   #84
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Keep in mind that PUT bases don't get the advantages of CyCon secret projects, so it's not like it are all advantages. A real unification into one faction would probably also be more advantagous for us for this reason (shared SP benefits), if it weren't for the fact that bases can't be traded between human players except by conquest (with heavy pop and infrastructure loss...)
Old February 6, 2004, 18:09   #85
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 11:24
I agree that's true too. Although to benefit from a CC SP would mean not benefiting from PUT's free nodes ...

But yes you are right. Anything has two sides.

Grapefruit Garden
Old February 6, 2004, 21:13   #86
Jamski
Deity

The effic bonus from splitting the bases between two factions is the killer.

-Jam