Old February 2, 2004, 19:59   #91
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
MtG:

Quote:
"Throw rocks at them" is more like "get 'em to go away and stop bugging us" as opposed to "double points for making their ears bleed when you hit their head."
Why then can't the boys do the same? If we should interpret the shirt of the girls as a joke, then surely we can do so for the boys. After all, we all know girls at that age have cooties.

Quote:
The male gender is, on the whole, more prone to violence and easier to incite to violence individually or as a group.
Eh?

Girls are made of sugar and spice, and everything nice, while boys are made of snips and snails and puppy dog tails. Myth. Fable.

Quote:
I've seen it go the other way, with the women being instigators or mutual beating. Rarely. Not one percent as often as male on female violence.
But still not right. I acknowledge that beating women is wrong, but just because more women are beaten up then men still does not make it right for the few women who beat up men.

Quote:
It simply exists in a social context for a species with very distinct physical and emotional response differences between genders,
So it's ok, because she's a girl? Very consistent MtG.
Old February 2, 2004, 20:01   #92
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:24
The thing that amazes me about all this is that they haven't considered the lawsuit potential. You have one little girl throw one little stone at one little boy causing any amount of injury, and the parents can sue this company, even if the girl didn't even wear one of these T-shirt, the parents could say this is obviously where she got the idea, kids are impressionable, therefore it's the company's fault. And bingo, a few million bucks. At the very least a costly legal bill. Seriously, how dumb is this company?

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I'm going to produce my own line...

"Women are weak, beat them up when married"
That's stupid. Why wait?
Old February 2, 2004, 20:15   #93
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 09:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
MtG:

Why then can't the boys do the same? If we should interpret the shirt of the girls as a joke, then surely we can do so for the boys. After all, we all know girls at that age have cooties.
Well, then do something along the lines of cooties, or whatever.

Quote:
Eh?

Girls are made of sugar and spice, and everything nice, while boys are made of snips and snails and puppy dog tails. Myth. Fable.
Yeah, all these female serial killers, serial rapists, mafia and drug gang leaders, female lynch mobs, and all these cultures around the world where women decide they can maintain control by genital mutilation, or burn the unwanted hubby alive if his dowry isn't good enough, or just beat his ass if he doesn't have dinner right at 6, or grab another beer without his woman having to ask.

Show me, either in the form of a representative survey of cultural, national and tribal groups worldwide, or based on violent crime stats, any evidence that males and females have equal propensities for violent behavior individually or in groups.

Quote:
But still not right. I acknowledge that beating women is wrong, but just because more women are beaten up then men still does not make it right for the few women who beat up men.
That's another subject. We're still on t-shirts and social cues and whether gender specific messages are symmetric if the genders involved are reversed.

Quote:
So it's ok, because she's a girl? Very consistent MtG.
Did I address whether or not it's ok? We're talking t-shirts the cultural and social contexts for gender-based violence. The fact that it's a hugely disproportionate phenomena indicates that you can't consider the context the same if you switch girls and boys on the t-shirt caption.
Old February 2, 2004, 20:37   #94
JellyBean
Warlord

We're still talking about children, not adults. From my memory, violence at that age wasn't noticeably gender-assymmetric.
Old February 2, 2004, 21:02   #95
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:24
Meh. Seems fairly innocuous to me. The shirts do divide humanity into at least two genders, though, but not any more than most of the other things we expose kids to.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp_tour.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	63405  
Old February 2, 2004, 21:03   #96
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

This thread is stupid. Throw rocks at it.
Old February 2, 2004, 21:05   #97
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Skywalker is...

oh wait
Old February 2, 2004, 21:06   #98
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I am stupid - throw rocks at me

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 2, 2004, 21:08   #99
blackice
Emperor

MichaeltheGreat
Quote:
Given the relative frequency of real violence, along with the general disparity in physical strength and propensity for violence and physical aggression, the situation is hardly symmetric enough for a reciprocal t-shirt to carry any similar message with the same degree of humor.
Real violence? Physical strength, violence and aggression lololol stick to something you know. You are way off base with this diatribe...

Quote:
But as blackice and others have pointed out, female-on-male domestic violence does occasionaly occur,
Occasionaly no it is 50-50 and 99% of couples in a relationship report it as "mutual aggression". i will point out again the most violent relationships we know of are "female to female relationships. Violence demestically in that group is 90% higher than in male on male relationships, 60% higher than female to male relationships......That alone should tell people something about gender violence...

Quote:
We're not that far days when the "she asked for it" mentality prevailed, and rape, domestic violence and stalking stats show that there is far too much violence against women on an ongoing basis for the subject to be considered in the same way (whether humor material or seriously) as the reverse.
While I agree we had to step up and stop violence against women your stats are wrong as they only consider reported cases... Men do not report to the same extent, but it is shown the violence against them is far greater... As for the rest Micheal the common mistake of a misandrist is to "claim" social workers, womens shelter stats or examples.... Get a grip would you?

Look to statistics that go beyond the obvious for instance we could say that all men drink and drive look at the dwi stats... No Micheal your information is victorian in todays world.
Rape for instance is considered to be close to even between the sexes, more women report it than men tho. For that reason you post inaccuracies same goes for your violence reasons, pure bunk...Look to same sex marriage stats to cure your ineptness...

I could go on and on but experience here shows some people are simply to stupid to argue with and maybe the target of this shirt. Meaning you dismiss new far more accurate studies and live in the past or simply follow misandry stats and claim it to be true...

Quote:
Show me, either in the form of a representative survey of cultural, national and tribal groups worldwide, or based on violent crime stats, any evidence that males and females have equal propensities for violent behavior individually or in groups.
I have too many times to count but you like others dismiss it and move on with your misandry.

Quote:
The fact that it's a hugely disproportionate phenomena indicates that you can't consider the context the same if you switch girls and boys on the t-shirt caption.
No again wrong Micheal the misandrist, it is wrong to promote harm or hatred towards anyone regardless of the gender. You see micheal, Squid the difference between you two and I...
You two think it is ok because it happened to women, or any other excuse you dream up with bogus stats... I on the other hand believe equal rights gender neutral. If I can not harm a woman she can not harm me, easy eh?

How many men go away with house arrest for the same crime as a woman? How many men are locked up for violence against women yet women walk away. How many women are dead beat moms compared to men? how many women kill thier kids and walk? WAKE UP///

I think as I have said before you two need to educate yourselves, or not your choice. I for one will continue to post awareness threads until a few wake up to reality NO MATTER HOW STUPID YOU ARE...

Now this tee shirt is simply wrong no matter how you defend it, non violence is the social norm this alone makes it wrong. The fact it is gender based makes it more so...

So these few bozos say heh it is a joke to make this for young influential people, it is also ok to show a woman slapping a man on tv but not visa vie... Wrong...

So wrong, how do you expect to rid society of gender violence if you promote it?
“The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
Or do we?
Old February 2, 2004, 21:09   #100
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Now I remember why blackice seemed so familiar.
He's the womanhater
Old February 2, 2004, 21:11   #101
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
So it's okay so long as you are a woman?

Quote:
We're still on t-shirts and social cues and whether gender specific messages are symmetric if the genders involved are reversed.
If they are not symmetric, then you have an unjustified double standard.

Quote:
consider the context the same if you switch girls and boys on the t-shirt caption.
Why? Do you have little boys beating up on little girls? I say that all of these differences do not become a problem until later.
Old February 2, 2004, 21:12   #102
Nubclear

Jesus is stupid - throw rocks at him!

Oh wait....
I'm sorry, but this topic is too laughable. I highly doubt the women of the future are going to start stoning their husbands because of a T-Shirt they had when they were 7 years old
Old February 2, 2004, 21:14   #103
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

So who was it exactly that overturned blackice's rock?

Personally, I blame Slowwhand. But then again, that's pretty standard for me.
Old February 2, 2004, 21:16   #104
Nubclear

I blame Bush.
Old February 2, 2004, 21:16   #105
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I am stupid - throw rocks at me
Speaking of that, what's happened to IWS?

:stoning:
Old February 2, 2004, 21:25   #106
JellyBean
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by blackice
How many women are dead beat moms compared to men?
Somehow I doubt that there are any men who are dead beat moms at all.
Old February 2, 2004, 21:34   #107
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:24
My main problem with this line of T-shirts is that everybody would be outraged by a junior product saying "girls are weak - punch them"

I completely disagree with the T-shirts, but I even more disagree with the double-standards.
Old February 2, 2004, 21:35   #108
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I completely disagree with the T-shirts, but I even more disagree with the double-standards.
Very true indeed.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 2, 2004, 21:41   #109
blackice
Emperor

Ben Kenobi

I now see squid covering his a$$

Comrade Tassadar Another idiot
“The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
Or do we?
Old February 2, 2004, 21:44   #110
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Hey womanhater... get a clue .

I notice you didn't respond to Spiffor saying no one has EVER called me an misanthist (or however you spell it). Been called a 'pig' much more often than that .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old February 2, 2004, 21:47   #111
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Speaking of that, what's happened to IWS?
I think it stopped last time. No idea who got the highest. Maybe it was IW again, and he's in Madagascar. If I can be bothered tomorrow, I'll start a new IWS. If not, he might when he get's back (April, IIRC).

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
:stoning:
Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I'm sorry, but this topic is too laughable. I highly doubt the women of the future are going to start stoning their husbands because of a T-Shirt they had when they were 7 years old
No, but they might throw a stone at one in the playground of school, or the park, while still 7.

Last edited by Drogue; February 2, 2004 at 22:22.
Old February 2, 2004, 21:56   #112
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 20:24
fat hamburger buildings are stupid, throw planes at them

would these sell and where?
Old February 2, 2004, 22:01   #113
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
My main problem with this line of T-shirts is that everybody would be outraged by a junior product saying "girls are weak - punch them"
Wouldn't a more consistent opposite be "girls are weak -- copy from them on tests"?
Old February 2, 2004, 22:07   #114
blackice
Emperor

Hey manhater... get a clue on second thought If that were to happen it would have been by now.

Yes I ignored him as you predictably ignored me...

You will continue to post your inept comments with no backing of truth simply to make your point, repeat "inane"

Example:

Quote:
Been called a 'pig' much more often than that
I am sure this makes you feel warm and fuzzy....
Half the problem and none of the solution, your a dime a dozen...
Or do we?
Old February 2, 2004, 22:09   #115
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yes, you ignore other people who may disagree with you. The facts run contrary to your opinions... not like that was any surprise.
Old February 2, 2004, 22:11   #116
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
To all my fellow boys:

Lighten the **** up.

We're top dogs. We are the dominating force in culture. Deny it all you want, but we control government, business, everything, and we have done this since forever.

As top dogs, others are jealous of that status, and rightly so; there is nothing inherent within us that makes us top dog, other than it has always been so. So when there is a joke made about us, realize that it ain't hurting nothin', it ain't changing nothin'. Yes, it's in poor taste. Big deal. No one in their right mind, including children, actually thinks that this is advocating violence.

If the tables were turned, as some have suggested, and it was "throw rocks at girls" or gays or blacks or insert your prefered minority here, it would be in even more poor taste, because that **** actually ****ing happens.
Oh I'm plenty light. I feel that everyone is acting within their rights here, and the system is working. As for the rest of your post, I find it incredibly shortsighted. People including white people and men aren't insensible to unfairness. If we want to get along with everyone we should treat them as we'd treat anyone we actually cared about and respected. If you think that some racism by whites has nothing at all to do with some racism by blacks and vice versa I can present a thousand examples that say otherwise. Sexism and racism are certainly legal as ideas (though they are illegal as actions in many cases unless they are mandated by the state), but they are bad ideas and there is an often indirect price to be paid for promulgating them. This is more than bad taste, though it is perfectly legal and perhaps even humorous in its own way. So was Amos and Andy.

Last edited by Sikander; February 3, 2004 at 00:08.
Old February 2, 2004, 22:12   #117
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
No, but they migth throw a stone at one in the playground of school, or the park, while still 7.
And then they'll be punished and never do it again.
Old February 2, 2004, 22:14   #118
blackice
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, you ignore other people who may disagree with you. The facts run contrary to your opinions... not like that was any surprise.
whimpy excuse for your actions and comments, hey found any merit in your claims to me in my post's?
I have not seen one example?
Just more inane post's to back your inane comments...

Stop the diatribe read something get informed or not your choice.

In the meantime grow up or make room for moderators that at least know what they are reading and taking about...

Next.
Or do we?
Old February 2, 2004, 22:17   #119
Sikander
King

Feckless self quote removed, along with all memory of fallibility.

Last edited by Sikander; February 3, 2004 at 00:11.
Old February 2, 2004, 22:18   #120
Drogue
staff

Replied, rather than edited