Old February 3, 2004, 07:40   #1
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 18:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ultra-Feminism In The Media
Here's some recurrent news stories you'll see:

"Studies show that men don't go to the doctor nearly as often as women. Experts warn that men stay away from the doctor only because of masculine stereotypes against admitting weakness, and that more work needs to be done to get men to shed their macho posturing and to become more willing to listen to the possible warning signs of illness."

You won't ever see the same story reported this way:

"Studies show that men don't go to the doctor nearly as often as women. Experts warn that women are going to the doctor with trivial ailments and hysterical attention-seeking behavior, and that more work needs to be done to get women to stop imposing such enormous, and pointless, burdens on our healthcare system.

Or:

"Management experts say that women and men communicate differently in the workplace. Women tend to adopt a much more personal view of workplace relations and communicate in an emotional, rather than strictly factual, fashion. Experts warn that for men to keep up with women in the workplace, they need to adapt from their cold, impersonal, factual approach to management and become more concerned with their co-worker's feelings and inner motivations."

But not:

"Management experts say that women and men communicate differently in the workplace. Women tend to adopt a much more personal view of workplace relations and communicate in an emotional, rather than strictly factual, fashion. Experts warn that billions of dollars of productivity are being lost to women's catfights caused by dragging personal issues and concerns into the workplace, gossiping on the phone, and by their inability to communicate simple concepts and instructions without half an hour of chitchat and meandering around the issues."

Old February 3, 2004, 07:46   #2
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
Maybe Tripledoc has a point.
Old February 3, 2004, 07:49   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

That's because with the former, the problem is men not going enough, not women going too much. The latter you have a point, but the language of the second is far more emotive. However in terms of productivity, polite and friendly communications work better in most situations than cold, hard factual relations.

The reason you won't here them reported the other way is because it is a problem that men won't go to the doctor when they're ill, and that for smooth, stress free and productive management, polite and personal relations work better than cold, hard factual ones.

I dislike feminism too. I think they want positive discrimination and I abhore discrimination of any kind, based on gender. However those examples you cite are awful.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 3, 2004, 09:30   #4
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 12:26
There's moderate feminism, and there's extreme feminism.
Old February 3, 2004, 09:58   #5
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Feminism demands equality, so you've chosen the wrong term if you're hoping to go off on another one about positive discrimination. You could call this ultra-feminism, but only in the sense that it goes far beyond what feminism aspires to.
Old February 3, 2004, 10:01   #6
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Men troll more than women.

Women don't troll as much as men.

We've got both kinds
Old February 3, 2004, 11:08   #7
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 11:26
What was the name of that feminist who said that all sex is rape even consensual sex in marriage? That's extreme feminism for you!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old February 3, 2004, 11:11   #8
MrFun
Emperor

Yeah, diplomat -- that counts as extreme feminism, if not sheer lunacy.
Old February 3, 2004, 11:12   #9
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
dip, you seem to be forgetting that so called "consentual" sex is always sex forced upon the female by the male, by means so violent she won't even admit to herself she was forced!
Old February 3, 2004, 11:23   #10
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

How do they justify that? They presume that no women would ever want to have sex for her own reasons? How could she justify at all a claim that all sex is rape?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 3, 2004, 11:38   #11
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

MMMM!

Just taste all that repressed misogyny finding an outlet!
Old February 3, 2004, 11:42   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 13:26
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
There's moderate feminism, and there's extreme feminism.
Any sort of feminism is wrong. Equality is the goal, not superiority of women. There is no reason to promote one group of people.
Old February 3, 2004, 11:51   #13
MrFun
Emperor

Mainstream feminism does not advocate superiority of women over men. Voting rights, equal employment opportunities, equal wages, protection from sex, physical, and/or mental abuse from spouse, and birth control are of mainstream feminism, not the extreme feminism that you refer to, skywalker.
Old February 3, 2004, 11:51   #14
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Any sort of feminism is wrong.
What if it's just once when they were drunk at a party or something, and they wake up in the morning and regret it?
Old February 3, 2004, 13:21   #15
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:26
Problem seems that it's too difficult (and possibly undesirable?) to have absolute equality, so the goal is set to relative equality where each gender has its ups and downs.
Old February 3, 2004, 13:24   #16
Evil Knevil
Prince

An ideal society is gender-blind but not blind to individual traits.
Old February 3, 2004, 13:26   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Any sort of feminism is wrong. Equality is the goal, not superiority of women. There is no reason to promote one group of people.
listen son, feminism isn't about superiority, as the dopey conservative bigots will say...

FEMINISM IS ABOUT EQUALITY

Old February 3, 2004, 13:29   #18
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Polite and friendly communications work better in most situations than cold, hard factual relations.
This is the crux of the difference between so-called PC and those who would oppose it. It is a matter of politeness. It won't kill people to stop being an *******s.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 3, 2004, 13:30   #19
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
It won't kill people to stop being an *******s.
actually, it would to some...
Old February 3, 2004, 13:31   #20
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
What was the name of that feminist who said that all sex is rape even consensual sex in marriage? That's extreme feminism for you!
Andrea Dworkin and Catherine McKinnon. They are the ultra-conservatives of the feminist movement, being rapidly opposed to sex. Their views on female sexuality are neo-Victorian.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 3, 2004, 13:31   #21
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
listen son, feminism isn't about superiority, as the dopey conservative bigots will say...

FEMINISM IS ABOUT EQUALITY

I'd like to believe it, but judging by the amount of rabid man haters I've witnessed, it's like Plutonium - it doesn't occur in the real world.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old February 3, 2004, 13:33   #22
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
I'd like to believe it, but judging by the amount of rabid man haters I've witnessed, it's like Plutonium - it doesn't occur in the real world.
man haters aren't feminists... they are MAN HATERS...

why can't people understand this?
Old February 3, 2004, 13:36   #23
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 11:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
dip, you seem to be forgetting that so called "consentual" sex is always sex forced upon the female by the male, by means so violent she won't even admit to herself she was forced!
even if the woman is on top?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old February 3, 2004, 13:39   #24
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
man haters aren't feminists... they are MAN HATERS...

why can't people understand this?
Because the "feminists" I've observed DO NOT CARE about the males. At best we're ignored. At worst, we are portrayed as evil, violent and selfish.

Call me over sensitive - but if "feminists" gave a sh1t about equality, they wouldn't call themselves feminists, they would call themselves egalitarians.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old February 3, 2004, 13:42   #25
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Because the "feminists" I've observed DO NOT CARE about the males. At best we're ignored. At worst, we are portrayed as evil, violent and selfish.
then they aren't feminists... if I sh1t in a bag and call it a Turkey, is it a Turkey?
Quote:
Call me over sensitive - but if "feminists" gave a sh1t about equality, they wouldn't call themselves feminists, they would call themselves egalitarians.
because the term "feminist" came from the 60's and 70's when equality meant progressing a female cause... conservatives have demonized the term in order to equate the equal rights movement with butch-cut man hating b1tches
Old February 3, 2004, 13:45   #26
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
then they aren't feminists... if I sh1t in a bag and call it a Turkey, is it a Turkey?
I'm 99% certain a zoologist would classify it as a fewmet or similar.

I'm no expert on Turkeys, but I posit your "Turkey" wouldn't baste very well.

Quote:
because the term "feminist" came from the 60's and 70's when equality meant progressing a female cause... conservatives have demonized the term in order to equate the equal rights movement with butch-cut man hating b1tches
Ah... but you ignore that some "feminists" (a MINORITY, true, but still there) really are butch-cut man hating b1tches.

So I'm not a feminist, I'm an egalitarian, and if a "downtrodden" woman wants me to care about her situation, she'd better care about mine, OK?
Old February 3, 2004, 13:46   #27
gerryandersson
Chieftain

It seems to me like many of the “extreme feminists” both want to eat the cookie and keep it. (I have never heard a debate about compulsory military service for women here in Sweden)
Old February 3, 2004, 13:47   #28
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Ah... but you ignore that some "feminists" (a MINORITY, true, but still there) really are butch-cut man hating b1tches.
by definition... they AREN'T FEMINISTS...
Quote:
So I'm not a feminist, I'm an egalitarian, and if a "downtrodden" woman wants me to care about her situation, she'd better care about mine, OK?
feminist = "egaltarian"

regardless of what you want to call yourself... if you believe women should have equal rights... then you are a feminist... by definition.
Old February 3, 2004, 13:51   #29
gerryandersson
Chieftain

I heard that in Sweden it is MORE common for a woman to hit her husband than it is for a husband to hit his wife.
Old February 3, 2004, 13:53   #30
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
by definition... they AREN'T FEMINISTS...
You tell 'em. I'm not interested in losing a tooth or a testes for the sake of political correctness.
[/QUOTE]
Quote:
feminist = "egaltarian"
On that basis, the word "feminist" has no use at all and might as well be discarded. But see below.

Quote:
regardless of what you want to call yourself... if you believe women should have equal rights... then you are a feminist... by definition.
Equal rights to WHOM? To gay men? To straight men? To rich men? To poor men? To police men? To rich women? To our leaders?

How about TO EACH OTHER...

As for equal rights, I do believe in them. Every time a female attempts to cut in front of me I wrestle her to the ground and spank her.

Is that what your "feminists" want?

EDIT: You are assuming that people are in reality equal. All the Founding Fathers had to say on the subject are that "all... are BORN equal."