Old February 3, 2004, 13:53   #31
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by gerryandersson
I heard that in Sweden it is MORE common for a woman to hit her husband than it is for a husband to hit his wife.
cuz u swedes are a bunch of pussies

jk
Old February 3, 2004, 14:04   #32
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 18:26
Perhaps what really annoys me about feminists is they stereotype "men" - and then demand equality with them?

Illogical, captain.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old February 3, 2004, 14:05   #33
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
Perhaps what really annoys me about feminists is they stereotype "men"
it's ironic because you are stereotyping feminists
Old February 3, 2004, 14:22   #34
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
That was exactly what I saw going to say. Except with capitalisation and punctuation.
Old February 3, 2004, 14:23   #35
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
it's ironic because you are stereotyping feminists
Understood. What really annoys me about feminists is WHEN they stereotype men.

Happy now?
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old February 3, 2004, 14:30   #36
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:

Happy now?
yes
Old February 3, 2004, 14:31   #37
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gibsie
That was exactly what I saw going to say. Except with capitalisation and punctuation.
your commitment to grammar and punctuation makes you weak and slow
Old February 3, 2004, 14:32   #38
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
your commitment to grammar and punctuation makes you weak and slow
But with enhanced job prospects, this isn't necessarily a bad attitude...

I'm not digging at you Sava, I'm sure you can use a spell checker when you want.
Old February 3, 2004, 14:46   #39
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:26
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Any sort of feminism is wrong. Equality is the goal, not superiority of women. There is no reason to promote one group of people.
If it wasn't for feminism in the past decades, we'd still be living in a society where woman beating would be rampant, where the role of women would be to bear children and raise them, not to work or simply be equal to men. We'd be living in a world where raped women would be called "sluts", and where any woman who wants to live her life the way she wants would be an anomaly.

Look at the way some countries treat their women. It was once the same in our societies. And it changed thanks to feminism.
Old February 3, 2004, 14:52   #40
Verres
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

If it wasn't for feminism in the past decades, we'd still be living in a society where woman beating would be rampant, where the role of women would be to bear children and raise them, not to work or simply be equal to men. We'd be living in a world where raped women would be called "sluts", and where any woman who wants to live her life the way she wants would be an anomaly.

Look at the way some countries treat their women. It was once the same in our societies. And it changed thanks to feminism.
Well, we are the weaker sex after all...perhaps we have just forgotten our place.

Old February 3, 2004, 14:56   #41
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

I'd like to believe it, but judging by the amount of rabid man haters I've witnessed, it's like Plutonium - it doesn't occur in the real world.
It's sad that so many ignorant, chauvanistic men want to place mainstream feminists in the same group with extreme feminists.
Old February 3, 2004, 15:12   #42
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
What was the name of that feminist who said that all sex is rape even consensual sex in marriage? That's extreme feminism for you!
I don't know, But I think she got married.
Old February 3, 2004, 15:37   #43
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

If we are stereotyping feminists then we need some definitions. Who counts as moderate, and who counts as extreme?
Old February 3, 2004, 16:27   #44
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Moderate = Men and women should have equal voting rights! Equal oppritunity! Equality!
Extreme = MEN START SO MANY WARS AND IF WE AWERE TO JUST KILL THEM ALL WE COULD FINALLY LIVE INT OTAL PEACE AND HARMOY!!1!1!!!!11!
Lunacy = Every time a man looks at a woman, he's raping her...in his MIND!!!!
Old February 3, 2004, 17:51   #45
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 13:26
Them's good definitions .

Of course you've have some numnuts who think any feminism is anti-men.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 3, 2004, 17:56   #46
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
Of course you've have some numnuts who think any feminism is anti-men
these would be those of us who attended a major university and were required to take certain classes which are taught by anti men feminazis and recieved low grades for everything we wrote.

backlash is to be expected when you have been mistreated.
Old February 3, 2004, 17:59   #47
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
these would be those of us who attended a major university and were required to take certain classes which are taught by anti men feminazis and recieved low grades for everything we wrote.
Classes where you were taught not to beat women? How sad?

I went to one of the most liberal universities in the US (Rutgers - Berkley of the East) and we never had to take an anti-man class (or any feminism class).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old February 3, 2004, 18:06   #48
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
Classes where you were taught not to beat women? How sad?
some of my friends had erasers and pens thrown at them for disputing the teachers views, so i wouldn't say it was an antiviolence class.

As an engineer, i really wish my school would stop bombarding me with poltical correctness and diversity, and just provide me with more assistance for my classes. Two of my classes this semester are taught by the same man. He has a terrible accent, mumbles a lot, and gives no examples in class, instead feeling that three hours of extensive proofs each week will help us understand the flow of electromagnetic waves and their reflection and transmissions.

That goodness i don't have much of this left to deal with at least.
Old February 3, 2004, 18:11   #49
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
some of my friends had erasers and pens thrown at them for disputing the teachers views, so i wouldn't say it was an antiviolence class.
The proper thing to do in that case is to complain up the hierarchy and if that doesn't work, sue for assault.

Quote:
As an engineer, i really wish my school would stop bombarding me with poltical correctness and diversity, and just provide me with more assistance for my classes.
From knowing engineers, they need social classes more than any other major .
Old February 3, 2004, 18:13   #50
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
As an engineer, i really wish my school would stop bombarding me with poltical correctness and diversity, and just provide me with more assistance for my classes. Two of my classes this semester are taught by the same man.
I prefer the term "person" instead of "man"
Old February 3, 2004, 18:19   #51
Gibsie
Emperor

Quote:

Happy now?
Surely you dislike stereotyping men no matter its source
Old February 3, 2004, 18:22   #52
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
From knowing engineers, they need social classes more than any other major

While I agree us engineers could use some social classes (generally), this is primarirly due to the fact that there tend to be 3 women in most of my classes. Out of 50. And we all already know them. but at least there's always bars and parties!
Old February 3, 2004, 18:34   #53
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Quote:
Extreme = MEN START SO MANY WARS AND IF WE AWERE TO JUST KILL THEM ALL WE COULD FINALLY LIVE INT OTAL PEACE AND HARMOY!!1!1!!!!11!
Lunacy = Every time a man looks at a woman, he's raping her...in his MIND!!!!
The scary thing is that they are both true, but on more abstract levels than you propose. Of course taken literally the "extreme" statement is self-contradictory, but civilisation still "thinks" and "acts" like a male, so to speak... it is emotionally conflicted, overly rational to the point of irrational, straight lines, black and white with a great, huge metaphysical penis with which to **** others.

Raping her in his mind? Well not literally of course. Dreams of sex? Not always, at least in my experience. The testicles want possession, want power, and of course power=sex. What women generally don't understand about men is that we are not run by the contents of our scrota, but rather we are conflicted in that regard, brain vs penis, put in very simple Freudian terms (that I disagree with though it works as an illustration...) Id vs Superego.

We shouldn't dismiss the "extreme" feminist arguments, we simply should not take them on face value. Look into them, and you will find them to be remarkably explanatory and even somewhat egalitarian! (the point about civilisation implying a gender-composite method of thinking as a civilisation). This hasnt been explained too clearly, but I am rather stoned. This post has taken nearly 15 minutes to type out...
Old February 3, 2004, 18:46   #54
Nubclear

Quote:
but I am rather stoned.
We can tell
Old February 3, 2004, 18:47   #55
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy
The scary thing is that they are both true, but on more abstract levels than you propose. Of course taken literally the "extreme" statement is self-contradictory, but civilisation still "thinks" and "acts" like a male, so to speak... it is emotionally conflicted, overly rational to the point of irrational, straight lines, black and white with a great, huge metaphysical penis with which to **** others.
But this isn't about how society thinks, this is about discrimination. Society may be rational, but I would disagree with that. People as a whole panic, and act emotionally. To be honest, I think the whole thing about the metaphysical penis is crap. However I will accept it is set up mainly for men, in the sense of working regulations, the way business works, and the male domination of the upper echelons. But we have legislation (such as maturnity leave, and discrimination laws) to counter this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy
Raping her in his mind? Well not literally of course. Dreams of sex? Not always, at least in my experience. The testicles want possession, want power, and of course power=sex.
Dreams of sex are not confined to men, and do not constitute "raping with his mind". I do not claim to know how men think, but I would not agree that sex is power. Rape has been cited as being a power thing, and I would agree, thar is probably the motivation in many cases, but the stuff about the testicals wanting possession? We may have used rape as a tool for procreation as apes, and maybe even cavemen, but I think we have evolved from then. We have evolved to do what is best for our children, and choosing a partner as such too. Which is why women naturally go for men with power, since in evolutionary terms, they could protect their offspring, and why men go for women with beauty, so as to have beautiful offspring who can get a mate easier, and so continue their genes. I don't see that rape is an intrinsic part. Rape sickens me. To be accused of raping someone with my mind is abhorrent, and I would disagree with vehemently. To think that consensual sex is rape is a contradiction in terms, IMHO. Women have maturnal instincts, which in evolutionary terms would have been thier reason for sex. To say women are never willing partners is silly.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 3, 2004, 18:47   #56
Theben
Deity

Re: Ultra-Feminism In The Media
Quote:
Originally posted by Park Avenue
You won't ever see the same story reported this way:

But not:

"Management experts say that women and men communicate differently in the workplace. Women tend to adopt a much more personal view of workplace relations and communicate in an emotional, rather than strictly factual, fashion. Experts warn that billions of dollars of productivity are being lost to women's catfights caused by dragging personal issues and concerns into the workplace, gossiping on the phone, and by their inability to communicate simple concepts and instructions without half an hour of chitchat and meandering around the issues."
Your snotty comments aside, there have been commentators that have started focusing on the differences between how men and women communicate, not only @ work but in relationships. Furthermore, these same commentators have argued that both means of communication are equally valid. And did I mention that all of the commentators I've seen or heard talk about it are women? D'oh! Nice troll, too bad it couldn't last longer. But you can start a new thread tommorrow.

Stupid question asked, question answered.

CASE CLOSED!
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old February 3, 2004, 18:47   #57
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

How about a feminism that affirms a woman's decision to have children and raise them at home?
Old February 3, 2004, 18:50   #58
Gibsie
Emperor

I thought proper feminism was about firming any life-choice a woman (or man) makes that improves their life and that of their family. Certainly feminism would affirm a man's decision to do that, though.
Old February 3, 2004, 18:57   #59
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Ben: Surely equal rights is about choice, that the women can choose to have a career, to have kids, or to try and do both, without impediment? And likewise for men. That would be a cause worth fighting for, IMHO.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 3, 2004, 19:02   #60
yavoon
Warlord

I dont like the feminazi's either.