Old February 10, 2004, 23:19   #481
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
People don't have to be "molded" - they should be taught to think for themselves (methinks this is time to google some Nietzsche quotes )
Skywalker don't bother. Kid has a history of supporting whatever it takes including totalitarianism to support the communistic utopian dream.

The ability to think for oneself is irrelevent in this borg like society.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 11, 2004, 11:43   #482
Ned
King

Local Time: 09:30
I find it hopeful that there are commies like Spiffor who are willing to adapt their doctrine in ways that will avoid totalitarianism.
Old February 11, 2004, 11:58   #483
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I find it hopeful that there are commies like Spiffor who are willing to adapt their doctrine in ways that will avoid totalitarianism.
Well, since my mother lived the 15 first years of her life in a Stalinist regime, it sure had an impact on me. My position wrt communism is similar to my position wrt abortion: I believe in creating a more humane society, and I'll always consider the actual living conditions to be more important than doctrine.
Old February 11, 2004, 15:32   #484
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:30
It's irrelevent what Spiffor actually believes, Ned, as long as you continue to hew to a contorted cartoonish version of Marxism and communism.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 11, 2004, 15:38   #485
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Cartoonish view of communism verses Goth view of Capitalism.

I prefer cartoons.

Long live Bugs Bunny.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 11, 2004, 15:54   #486
chequita guevara
Emperor

Bugs was an anarchist.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 11, 2004, 16:06   #487
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
It's irrelevent what Spiffor actually believes, Ned, as long as you continue to hew to a contorted cartoonish version of Marxism and communism.
I admit that I have some fun criticizing you guys. I know your hearts are in the right place. I am just critical of your methods.
Old February 11, 2004, 16:08   #488
chequita guevara
Emperor

Aw shucks.
Old February 11, 2004, 16:14   #489
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

I admit that I have some fun criticizing you guys. I know your hearts are in the right place. I am just critical of your methods.
Their hearts are in the right place its the second head that throws me.

Old February 12, 2004, 11:57   #490
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
People don't have to be "molded" - they should be taught to think for themselves (methinks this is time to google some Nietzsche quotes )
Sure they need to think for themselves, but they need to learn that it benefits everyone more when they act in the interest of society instead of just in their own self-interest. Our society now molds us into self-interested individuals only (well for the most part).
Old February 12, 2004, 17:03   #491
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Sure they need to think for themselves, but they need to learn that it benefits everyone more when they act in the interest of society instead of just in their own self-interest. Our society now molds us into self-interested individuals only (well for the most part).
and I guess anyone who refuses to be "molded" and act only in the "best interests of society" should be sent to the gulag, da?

It may be true that society is more important than an individual, but it is not more important than the individual. Unless of course you want to create a homogenous, stagnant, unthinking society.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:04   #492
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
and I guess anyone who refuses to be "molded" and act only in the "best interests of society" should be sent to the gulag, da?
That's a bit of a jump.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:17   #493
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
No gulag, but if they break the law, and are given due process of law, there should be consequences. That won't change. One goal of the societies institutions should be to get citizens to obey the law and act in a way that is beneficial to society.
Quote:
It may be true that society is more important than an individual, but it is not more important than the individual.
I didn't say it was. Individuals shouldn't be allowed to act in a way that detrimental to society. The law says individuals can't sh1t where ever they like, because individuals don't want sh1t everywhere. Individuals should act in a way that is best for all the individuals, not just themselves, or you don't have a civilized society at all.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:27   #494
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
That's a bit of a jump.
No, it's not. Anybody who thinks people should be "molded" into the state's concept of a "model person" is totalitarian in the extreme - it is virtually a declaration that they have no freedom of thought.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:31   #495
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious
No gulag, but if they break the law, and are given due process of law, there should be consequences. That won't change. One goal of the societies institutions should be to get citizens to obey the law and act in a way that is beneficial to society.
That has nothing to do with molding people - a person can hold whatever values they want, so long as they obey the law. Concordance with the law has nothing to do with an individuals freedom to believe what he or she chooses.

Quote:
I didn't say it was. Individuals shouldn't be allowed to act in a way that detrimental to society. The law says individuals can't sh1t where ever they like, because individuals don't want sh1t everywhere. Individuals should act in a way that is best for all the individuals, not just themselves, or you don't have a civilized society at all.
(emphasis mine)

So the "benefit of society" supersedes individual liberties? If it would be "detrimental" to society for people to protest a war, they shouldn't be allowed to do it? If it would be "detrimental" to society for citizens to believe in a higher being, they shouldn't be allowed to do it?
Old February 12, 2004, 17:40   #496
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious
That has nothing to do with molding people - a person can hold whatever values they want, so long as they obey the law. Concordance with the law has nothing to do with an individuals freedom to believe what he or she chooses.
Our beliefs are very much determined by the institutions or our society. That has nothing to do with how free we are.

Quote:
Quote:
(emphasis mine)

So the "benefit of society" supersedes individual liberties? If it would be "detrimental" to society for people to protest a war, they shouldn't be allowed to do it? If it would be "detrimental" to society for citizens to believe in a higher being, they shouldn't be allowed to do it?
I didn't say protesting war was detrimental to society. Individuals should have all the liberties which are beneficial to society and which make up a just society.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:44   #497
Kuciwalker
Deity

What if someone exercises their liberties in a way you view "detrimental" - say, voting against a politician whose policies you think are "right"? Wouldn't voting against him be "detrimental" to society?
Old February 12, 2004, 17:45   #498
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
No, it's not. Anybody who thinks people should be "molded" into the state's concept of a "model person" is totalitarian in the extreme - it is virtually a declaration that they have no freedom of thought.
Every society molds its people, even a shmooist one.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:48   #499
Kuciwalker
Deity

But society doesn't "mold" them in the way he's proposing - he's arguing to have the schools indocrtrinate the students into all one mindset. You know what that sounds like? Blind patriotism.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:53   #500
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
But society doesn't "mold" them in the way he's proposing - he's arguing to have the schools indocrtrinate the students into all one mindset. You know what that sounds like? Blind patriotism.
It sounds like school.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:54   #501
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Whoo-hoo! Post 500! Until next time...

See Ya!
Old February 12, 2004, 17:55   #502
chequita guevara
Emperor

Good riddance.
Old February 12, 2004, 18:23   #503
Spiffor

Will Skywalker open a new one? I don't know if I want to take part

(actually, I know I want to )
Old February 12, 2004, 18:34   #504
Kuciwalker
Deity

I want to get back to the dialogue I had going with you... that's a good debate.
Old February 12, 2004, 18:43   #505
Spiffor

Yeah, but I think we've exhausted it quite a bit. I think our cases are pretty clear, only that we could make shmooism and spifforism more detailed.
Old February 12, 2004, 18:45   #506
Kuciwalker
Deity

Yeah, but where we left off, I was working on asking how you would prevent corporations and such in spifforism, and why
Old February 13, 2004, 02:27   #507
DaShi
Emperor

Is capitalism the new communism?