Old February 5, 2004, 09:29   #1
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The GOP's Worst Nightmare
John Kerry - war hero, multiple purple hearts etc, and the crew working hardest for him comprised of the men who served under him in Vietnam, many of whom are Republicans.

versus

George Bush - passing time in the "Champaign" division of the Texas Air National Guard flying obsolete planes no longer in use in Vietnam, and apparently awol from duty in Alabama for roughly a year or more.

I don't know, that's going to be tough for Bush and Rove to overcome. If Kerry wasn't such a liberal weenie I'd be tempted to vote for him. But Bush has cured me of any illusions of voting for him, the man signs spending bills like a liberal weenie. No, even worse! My God he is pathetic, after allowing spending to go through the roof, he gives a state of the union speech urging Congress to curb spending and then announces how he will use his veto pen, not to curb spending (which he hasn't done once yet to my knowledge), but to prevent any spending reductions in his prescription drug giveaway. Great! The veto pen will be used to prevent any semblance of fiscal responsibility...

And who does Bush have shilling for him? Rush "my anal cyst hurts" Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly, both "chickenhawks". Guys who just love wars as long as they aren't fighting them... And then there's Sean Hannity, Newt Gingrich's good friend at Fox News who, while Clinton was cheating on Hillary, was cheating on his wife and divorcing her while she was in the hospital with cancer. Sean likes reminding everyone almost daily about "Slick Willie" and his sexual exploits but never mentions Newt's behavior (or Bob Livingston's, another adulterer and Fox News contributor).

God these 2 parties can make a bottle of Pepto Bismol upchuck it's contents.
Old February 5, 2004, 09:35   #2
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:31

and

I feel your pain and agree.

Kang or Kodos?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 5, 2004, 09:36   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:31
But Dubya went speaking to the troops while wearing a BOMBERS OF THE AIRFORCE?!?!?! Doesn't it show he's clearly a war hero?!?
Old February 5, 2004, 09:36   #4
Berzerker
Emperor

Let Kang rule, he has a better sense of humor
Old February 5, 2004, 09:42   #5
Berzerker
Emperor

To be honest, I found Bush and his Bushisms a bit endearing - here was a regular guy, not a polished speaker who practices his rhetoric like John Edwards combing his hair in front of a mirror. But now he's just annoying and embarassing. Get him away from a teleprompter and he sounds like he's reading "See Spot Run"...
Old February 5, 2004, 09:54   #6
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:31
So, who will you vote for, in the end?
Old February 5, 2004, 10:02   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: The GOP's Worst Nightmare
Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
John Kerry - war hero, multiple purple hearts etc, and the crew working hardest for him comprised of the men who served under him in Vietnam, many of whom are Republicans.

versus

George Bush - passing time in the "Champaign" division of the Texas Air National Guard flying obsolete planes no longer in use in Vietnam, and apparently awol from duty in Alabama for roughly a year or more.
I dislike GWB as much as the next guy (assuming that guy is moderate-left that is ) but I just don't see this as being a salient point in the election. This election is more a referendum on the first presidency, not on GWB pre white house. At most Kerry can effectively use his war hero status to counter the GWB WoT record, etc. At most his past is a response to what GWB has done. The air national guard bit won't win or lose a single vote.
Old February 5, 2004, 10:12   #8
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
God these 2 parties can make a bottle of Pepto Bismol upchuck it's contents.

Quote:
I found Bush and his Bushisms a bit endearing - here was a regular guy, not a polished speaker who practices his rhetoric
oh please... Bush is a silver spooned little drunken frat boy **** who plays a regular guy on TV... don't think for a moment he has the foggiest idea what regular people go through in their daily lives. He's an absolute boob who's never had to take responsibility for ANYTHING in his life. Every time he screws up his dad and oil buddies were there to bail him out. Now he's got a conservative base who apologizes for him every time he screws up. I must congratulate Bush and Rove... they effectively brainwashed the public into believing this "regular guy" bullshit.

BTW, I heard that a Hannity caller was crying on the air last night "Bush has lost! Bush has lost! What are we gonna do?!"... crying, whining repukes are more entertaining than angry repukes.
Old February 5, 2004, 10:15   #9
MrFun
Emperor

I do find it amusing that many voters are deluded to think that a billionaire is "one of us."
Old February 5, 2004, 10:18   #10
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
I do find it amusing that many voters are deluded to think that a billionaire is "one of us."
nah he's not a billionaire... yet... but I get your point.

I also find it amusing that many voters are deluded to think that someone who bankrupted 2 or 3 companies in his only chief executive experience is qualified enough to be Commander in Chief.
Old February 5, 2004, 10:19   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
nah he's not a billionaire... yet... but I get your point.

I also find it amusing that many voters are deluded to think that someone who bankrupted 2 or 3 companies in his only chief executive experience is qualified enough to be Commander in Chief.
what about the Rangers? He didn't bankrupt them, only traded away the future franchise player.
Old February 5, 2004, 10:24   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
what about the Rangers? He didn't bankrupt them, only traded away the future franchise player.
I don't think he handled day to day baseball operations. He was more of a figure-head. BTW, as a member of that organization, he was able to get taxpayers to build a stadium for about $250 million. Then, he and other Texas boys, bought it from taxpayers for about $40 million... they then turned around and sold it for above $250 million. Nothing like making money off of the taxpayers.

From the sale of his stake in the Rangers, Bushy got about $14.5 million. It's ironic, because he bought his stake in the Rangers from money made during his days at Harken energy, where he profited from an insider trading deal 4 times larger than what Martha Stewart has allegedly done. His daddy was president at the time... so you can guess whether or not the SEC bothered to investigate Dubya.
Old February 5, 2004, 10:24   #13
MrFun
Emperor

There's something about digging up more (more, not necessarily new) dirt on an elitist politician that is fun.

Shame on Bush
Old February 5, 2004, 10:40   #14
Berzerker
Emperor

Spiffor - the Libertarian candidate of course If I vote for either the Dems or Repubs I'm giving my tacit approval to the future incarceration of millions of people for drug use and I can't do that.

Mr Fun and Sava - I know about his family fortune and all that, I was just referring to his down home style.

Asleep -
Quote:
I dislike GWB as much as the next guy (assuming that guy is moderate-left that is ) but I just don't see this as being a salient point in the election. This election is more a referendum on the first presidency, not on GWB pre white house. At most Kerry can effectively use his war hero status to counter the GWB WoT record, etc. At most his past is a response to what GWB has done. The air national guard bit won't win or lose a single vote.
It will cost him votes when put up against Kerry's record. There are vets who served with Kerry, including Repubs, who are supporting him. Hell, even Don Imus' wife is supporting him and she's conservative. My mother is extremely conservative and she's going to vote for him (not because of this though, but because she hates the Patriot Act and Ashcroft). But true, I can't see why Dems would care who was or wasn't a vet (except now that it favors their candidate) and the Repubs sure didn't let McCain's exploits in Vietnam lure them away from Bush. However, if this election is close and I'm getting the sense it will be, those vets switching to Kerry might just be the difference.
Old February 5, 2004, 11:15   #15
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 17:31
I found out all I needed to know about Bush from reading the "Price of Loyalty" by Paul o Neill. The guy is basically a puppet, and Cheney and Rove are the ones pulling the strings

I like Kerry's combat experience and intelligence.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old February 5, 2004, 11:19   #16
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 13:31
I don't think the GOP is having nightmares over Kerry. But he will be a good opponent in the Fall, and the election will probably be a close one.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 5, 2004, 11:19   #17
Berzerker
Emperor

Well, I've said it before wrt Kerry but might as well repeat it, when both parties were telling him to stfu, he kept trying to get to the bottom of the BCCI scandal. Frankly, I'm surprised he's still alive... He appears to have some integrity and that is a rare commodity in Wash DC...
Old February 5, 2004, 11:25   #18
DanS
Deity

In my experience, integrity is not that rare in Washington DC.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 5, 2004, 11:31   #19
MrFun
Emperor

What Washington DC are you talking about then, DanS??
Old February 5, 2004, 11:32   #20
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
Well, I've said it before wrt Kerry but might as well repeat it, when both parties were telling him to stfu, he kept trying to get to the bottom of the BCCI scandal. Frankly, I'm surprised he's still alive... He appears to have some integrity and that is a rare commodity in Wash DC...
Not enough integrity to refrain from coopting Dean's message of being an anti-establishement candidate when you can't get more establishment than him.

Still, I would vote for Kerry everyday over Bush.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 5, 2004, 11:38   #21
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Still, I would vote for Kerry everyday over Bush.
good boy
Old February 5, 2004, 11:47   #22
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:31
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

good boy
I would vote for Al Sharpton before Bush.

MrFun*

*missing the point for over 3 years!

"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 5, 2004, 11:48   #23
MrFun
Emperor

Huh? What?

Did I miss something here?
Old February 5, 2004, 11:49   #24
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
In my experience, integrity is not that rare in Washington DC.
Don't visit Congress much?

Quote:
Not enough integrity to refrain from coopting Dean's message of being an anti-establishement candidate when you can't get more establishment than him.
He wasn't establishment when he was trying to expose BCCI.
Old February 5, 2004, 11:50   #25
MrFun
Emperor

I'm still wondering what this fantastical, second Washington DC DanS is talking about.
Old February 5, 2004, 11:52   #26
Berzerker
Emperor

Fanciful, sounds better
Old February 5, 2004, 12:01   #27
DanS
Deity

Washington DC runs on integrity. If you don't have it, you won't last long. I bet you guys have much less knowledge about this than you believe.
Old February 5, 2004, 12:03   #28
MrFun
Emperor

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Old February 5, 2004, 12:07   #29
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I have been amazed by the folks here who think that a Bush-Kerry race will be competitive. But, and I hit myself on the side of the head when I realized this, from the perspective of the median poster here why shouldn't it be close.

The median poster here is young, more radical in their views than the public at large. We have a huge foreign voice here that the public at large never hears.

Few people here voted for Bush last time. People here have an axe to grind with Bush. Most people here are upset about the war. Most people in the public at large supported the war and will support the continued occupation of Iraq for at least another presidential term.

The political center, as defined by the majority here, would be found just off the left edge of the map being used by the American public.

Sure, you folks think Kerry has a chance. I think he better hold on to his senate seat.
Old February 5, 2004, 12:08   #30
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
I have been amazed by the folks here who think that a Bush-Kerry race will be competitive. But, and I hit myself on the side of the head when I realized this, from the perspective of the median poster here why shouldn't it be close.

The median poster here is young, more radical in their views than the public at large. We have a huge foreign voice here that the public at large never hears.

Few people here voted for Bush last time. People here have an axe to grind with Bush. Most people here are upset about the war. Most people in the public at large supported the war and will support the continued occupation of Iraq for at least another presidential term.

The political center, as defined by the majority here, would be found just off the left edge of the map being used by the American public.

Sure, you folks think Kerry has a chance. I think he better hold on to his senate seat.
Just like you have an ax to grind with Northern Democrats??