Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
But if that were my kid I would shoot the bastard and hope I got it right.
This was actually put into practice in the UK a few years ago when one of our tabloids (The News of the World) started running a "name and shame" campaign against paedophiles. They used the Sex Offenders List to get pictures and information about convicted sex offenders and started publishing it. The result?

Near mob anarchy. People took justice into their own hands and made a complete **** up of it. Innocent people were wrongly accused and attacked, property was damaged, and the actual paedophiles ended up breaking off their contact with the Government and went underground.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 7, 2004, 07:11   #122
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

The problem dealing with those kind of dirty offenders is that most of the government
bodies that are charged with stopping the filthy corruption are actually involved too.
Old February 7, 2004, 08:03   #123
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I find this kind of thing nauseating

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old February 7, 2004, 08:24   #124
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 11:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Ghengis:
You must agree the Death Penalty doesn't seem to work very well in Mafia games
Works fine in Mafia games. If you kill the Mafia. We just tend to suck at that part.

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
That poor kid. I couldn't believe she was only twelve. What on earth were her folks thinking, letting her go out tarted up like that?
Why does this not suprise me. The same advocates of eliminating the Death Penalty also advocate that the scum who murdered this little girl it the victim.

So, its her fault and her parents's fault for dressing her up to go pick up serial killers. I don't see where you get that from the pictures I saw. I didn't see her as a sex object, she just looked like a normal 12 year old girl to me.

I didn't feel any urge to go rape and murder the little girl when I saw the picture. The psycho that did is a pervert that needs to be eliminated from society.
Old February 7, 2004, 09:39   #125
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Oh, and of course, it is a specific deterrant - the person killed can't kill anyone else anymore.
This is, in the end, the one and only justification I can find for the death penalty, but that means it can only be applied very rarely and when there is such a preponderance of evidence as to assure the guilt of the criminal. I'm not talking mere "beyond a reasonable doubt," I'm talking about beyond ANY doubt.

Justice should never, ever be about revenge, it should solely be about protecting society, which is what the entire purpose of our criminal justice system is. We don't lock up theives for revenge, we lock them so they a) won't prey on people while incarcerated and b) will hopefully rehabilitate and become honest members of society.

Now, if have a murderer who is beyond any doubt guilty, and there's every reason to believe he will continue to kill, then perhaps the only solution for society's protection is to remove him from the world. Gacy, Dahmer and Bundy certainly would fit this bill.

So, frankly, I find anyone who approves of the death penalty without caring if it's a deterrant to be rather bloodthirsty and sick. If you only care about revenge, please don't go into criminal law.
Old February 7, 2004, 09:42   #126
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Why does this not suprise me. The same advocates of eliminating the Death Penalty also advocate that the scum who murdered this little girl it the victim.
That's not remotely what he said, and you know it:

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
That doesn't excuse the crook at all - he attracts a different kind of blame.
While it my be fun to be dishonest, nobody's fooled by you.
Old February 7, 2004, 09:44   #127
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Stepping into liberal shoes.........

So say if someone kills one person we try to rehabilitate them, theory being it was a fluke or accident.

If they kill more than one person then its not fluke, charge up the electric chair, we're frying psycho brains tonight.

Will that work for ya?
Old February 7, 2004, 10:16   #128
Boris Godunov
Emperor

If someone commits first-degree murder, I think they should go to prison for life, period. So if they catch a guy who commits one such murder, to the slammer forever he goes.

If they catch a guy who has commited multiple murders and it there is indication he will kill again, such as a serial killer, then I can see the DP being applied for society's protection.

Either way, no electric chair. Lethal injection done as quietly as possible. We can hopefully avoid having bloodthirsty animals like you cheering for it.
Old February 7, 2004, 10:32   #129
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 13:37
The thing that is really sad in this murder is that he was on probation for a crime and on December 30th , a judge REFUSED to give an order to revoke his probation despite the fact that he was violating it. Three years probation for a drug crime despite all of his conviction and having been in jail as recently as 2002 and something like 13 convictions.

Sounds as though a wimpy justice system led directly to this girl's murder - he should have been in jail either for the drug crime or the violation of probation.

From USA Today report:

Quote:
Smith has been arrested at least 13 times in Florida since 1993.

He served 17 months in prison in 2001 and 2002 for heroin possession and prescription drug fraud. Eight days after he got out, he was arrested for cocaine possession and placed on probation for three years. He also got probation for aggravated battery in 1993 and heroin charges in 1999.

A state correction official, Joe Papy, said that a probation officer had asked a judge on Dec. 30 to declare Smith in violation of his probation because he had not paid all his fines and court costs.

Papy said Circuit Judge Harry Rapkin declined to find Smith in violation, which could have returned him to jail. The judge defended his decision Friday, saying the probation officer never sent him the evidence he requested that Smith had willfully refused to pay.

Carlie's family questioned why Smith was allowed to be free.

"In my opinion he should have never been out on the street," Carlie's father said.
Old February 7, 2004, 10:38   #130
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Boris Godunov, I actually think your a pro-Death Penalty person there.

The Death Penality is pretty much only handed down to people who are multiple killers or have committed murder in a fashion that shows immense deviancy with the values of society. Like they enjoyed doing it and got a thrill out of it.

I don't think anyone has the electric chair anymore, it was too messy to clean up after the exectutions. With lethal injections you can just zip em up into a carry out bag and toss up into the landfill.
Old February 7, 2004, 10:49   #131
Theben
Deity

Just Say No to DP. It doesn't deter. Honestly, how many criminals commit crimes expecting to be caught? It also costs a lot more, with real-world consequences to state and local districts and their budgets (with consequences to their law enforcement budget, too).

The main reason I'm against it is that I don't think the State should have the power to execute it's own citizens. It's only one small step from executing criminals to stifling dissent thru state-sanctioned murder. The DNA tests from Illinois only clinched it for me.

DP
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old February 7, 2004, 11:06   #132
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

There's only one way to answer this question. Somebody PM Asher and ask him if the Death Penalty's what's kept him from garroting Agathon with his mouse cord all these years.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old February 7, 2004, 11:25   #133
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:37
Every Day in America

1 young person under 25 dies from HIV infection.
5 children or youth under 20 commit suicide.
9 children or youth under 20 are homicide victims.
9 children or youth under 20 die from firearms.
34 children and youth under 20 die from accidents.
77 babies die.
157 babies are born at very low birthweight (less than 3 lbs., 4 oz.).
180 children are arrested for violent crimes.
367 children are arrested for drug abuse.
401 babies are born to mothers who had late or no prenatal care.
825 babies are born at low birthweight (less than 5 lbs. 8 oz.).
1,310 babies are born without health insurance.
1,329 babies are born to teen mothers.
2,019 babies are born into poverty.
2,319 babies are born to mothers who are not high school graduates.
2,861 high school students drop out.*
3,585 babies are born to unmarried mothers.
4,248 children are arrested.
7,883 children are reported abused or neglected.
17,297 public school students are suspended.*
* Based on calculations per school day (180 days of seven hours each).
© 2002 Children's Defense Fund

.................................................. ........

And the death penalty will help in which exact way?
Old February 7, 2004, 11:39   #134
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Docfeelgood
http://abcnews.go.com/

here front page
When I clicked on that link I got a story about the baby who died after an operation to remove her second head. I presume that was not the story you were talking about? If it was, then let me asure you that the child had very little chance of survivng with a second useless head attached to its skull. At least the doctor gave her a chance.

You're probably talking about the mechanic who abducted an 11 year old girl right in front of a surveillance camera. I doubt the jury will have mercy upon him. I can't think of any acceptible extenuating circumstances.
Old February 7, 2004, 11:44   #135
Provost Harrison
Deity

It is a sickening thing to happen, and not as uncommon as we would like them to be. I just can't find any kind of empathy or understanding with this people who would hurt children. I do have a very strong paternal streak which makes it hard to be distant on this issue...but this is the whole thing with sociopathy and ability to relate or comprehend other people and their feelings.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old February 7, 2004, 11:53   #136
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

I view the death penalty from an anthropological perspective. It is like the ancient Aztecs who believed that by sacrifizing people, the sun would rise every day.

In the same manner, today the death penalty serves no function but assuring people that tomorrow it will be another normal working day.

"Everything is fine. The system is good. Continue with business as usual."

The truth is that the death penalty does not deter crime.
Old February 7, 2004, 12:12   #137
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc
I view the death penalty from an anthropological perspective.
I view the death penalty from a human perspective. Whoever did this deserves to die.
Old February 7, 2004, 12:21   #138
Theben
Deity

I don't deny that he's a waste of cellular conglomerates, but the state should never be allowed to execute a citizen.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old February 7, 2004, 12:23   #139
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Richelieu

I view the death penalty from a human perspective. Whoever did this deserves to die.
I think the point of anthropology is to view things from a human perspective. Yours is purely religious I suspect.
Old February 7, 2004, 12:28   #140
Provost Harrison
Deity

I am never too sure on execution...I am probably against due to potential miscarriages of justice and the abuse of this concept potentially possible under harsher governments for other crimes, perhaps treason or political dissent if extreme enough. There is never any going back from it. However the cost saved would be extraordinary and believe me I express absolutely no pity if a monster is executed. But if it later transpires they haven't committed the crime, there is no going back.

Old February 7, 2004, 12:29   #141
Kuciwalker
Deity

What's wrong with revenge? It seems to me that that's the basis of our justice system. In fact, screw the "lethal injection" crap, and make the death more painful the worse the crime.
Old February 7, 2004, 12:30   #142
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc

I think the point of anthropology is to view things from a human perspective. Yours is purely religious I suspect.
Nope. I'm an atheist.
What i am saying is that you use anthropology to detach yourself from your emotions. You use it as a filter, a way to interpret these events. I don't. I don't want to. I am outraged and it's perfectly natural that i would be and that anyone should be. That's what i consider to be the human perspective.
Old February 7, 2004, 12:36   #143
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I express absolutely no pity if a monster is executed.
Neither do I, but these days it's hard to tell if the person is truly a 'monster' or a person in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old February 7, 2004, 12:53   #144
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Richelieu
Nope. I'm an atheist.
My bad. Sorry.

Quote:
What i am saying is that you use anthropology to detach yourself from your emotions. You use it as a filter, a way to interpret these events. I don't. I don't want to. I am outraged and it's perfectly natural that i would be and that anyone should be. That's what i consider to be the human perspective.
Yes but that is the subjective human perspective. That is what you exclusively believe. In case of justice I would be concerned if it was to be based on emotion. It should at least attempt to work towards some scientific or scholarly understanding.

Also I know neither the man accused of the crime, nor the victim, and hence I do not have the capability of true empathy. If I should feel empathy towards all people who are treated wrongly, then life would be unbearable. People feel an all-encompassing ideal empathy towards humanity as a whole, and a real one towards the people you know, or you momentarily pass in life.

I do not believe for one second that anyone feel any real empathy towards just exclusive victims they have heard of or read about. This is sentimentalism, which is something entirely different. Or it might be that television is now capable of transmitting its emotive fascism to the masses.
Old February 7, 2004, 13:30   #145
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 12:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild

Near mob anarchy. People took justice into their own hands and made a complete **** up of it. Innocent people were wrongly accused and attacked, property was damaged, and the actual paedophiles ended up breaking off their contact with the Government and went underground.
I thought that moost people are just reacting emotionally to this -- I doubt anyone would seriously support a mobocracy.

But now that you have given a real example . . . . .
Old February 7, 2004, 13:48   #146
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 12:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
Neither do I, but these days it's hard to tell if the person is truly a 'monster' or a person in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I think catching him on camera lessens that possibility, don't you?
Old February 7, 2004, 14:20   #147
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I think catching him on camera lessens that possibility, don't you?
In this instance, yes.
Old February 7, 2004, 14:29   #148
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Because they didn't get rid of the Death Penalty until they had killed all the genetically defective serial killers from their Gene Pool.
"Genetically" defective?
Old February 7, 2004, 14:34   #149
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben

Oh absolutely, hence my 'no' to the death penalty. My statement was referring to a very black and white situation, which in reality, never exists...
Old February 7, 2004, 14:41   #150
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 20:37
But them in some hole, infect them with some disease and let them (literally) rot. Might get the rest to think twice.

And whoever disagrees with this is a wussy!